ADVERTISEMENT

A Look Ahead at DePaul

Barnaby&Neill

All American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2010
When not rooting for the Scarlet Knights, I pull for the Blue Demons — thought I’d share some thoughts on their first two games this season. They’re off until our game on Thursday.

It’s hard to have a feel for this team because it’s essentially a brand new roster. A bit of background: in 2019-20, they started 13-1 with wins against Iowa, Texas Tech, BC, Minnesota and Northwestern. Then started Big East play with a handful of close losses; the losing must have caused some internal issues because the team totally unraveled, and finished the season 16-16 with some 30+ pt losses down the stretch. They returned most of that roster last year, but had some covid issues, never found a rhythm, and HC Dave Leitao was out at season’s end.

Longtime Cinci / Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield was hired to replace Leitao and he rebuilt the team in the portal (I think four guys are back two or three see meaningful minutes). They’ve played two games (Coppin State and Central Michigan), and both games followed a similar pattern: uneven first half for DePaul then they turned it on a bit and pulled away by a bunch in the second half.

Bad News for RU: DePaul is talented and will have a puncher’s chance in every game this year. They’ll likely be a bottom half of the standings team, but they found some decent players in the portal, and will pull out a few unexpected wins.

Javon Freeman-Liberty will probably be the best scorer on the court on Thursday. He’s a bit of a Baker / Harper hybrid. Does a little more than Baker, but doesn’t have Harper’s size or versatility. Like those guys, he’s a streaky shooter. He’s a returning starter for DePaul, but started his career at Valpo. He should be playing the two, but two of DePaul’s incoming guards (a transfer from Oregon and a local high school kid) have been sidelined with ncaa clearance issues, so Freeman-Liberty has been playing the point. I think it slowed him down offensively early in the first game, but he settled in and ended up with 25 points, added 22 more against CMU.

Brandon Johnson (Minnesota transfer) has looked good inside, but that might have something to do with the competition. He’s only 6’8, so might be a good matchup for Cliff. Overall the team looks pretty long and athletic, and it seems like more than a few guys can hit a shot from deep. A big component of their half court offense is swinging the ball around the perimeter until they catch the defense slow to shift, often resulting in someone launching a three. David Jones has been hot to start the year, but looks to me like a guy that will level off against better competition.

Good News for RU: the timing works well for us. Though DePaul pulled away in both games, they’ve looked a little out of sorts for stretches on both sides of the ball. Their guys haven’t been teammates long, they only have two games under their belt as a unit, and they haven’t faced stiff competition yet.

I think that will be a huge advantage given our tough defense. We’ll slow the game and keep them in half court sets, forcing DePaul to communicate and move the ball around. I don’t think that will come easily for them, especially without a natural point guard running the offense. The back door cuts and over the top lobs to the paint that have been working for them against weaker competition will be contested against RU, and Cliff is an inside presence Johnson hasn’t faced yet.

Summary: this will be a dangerous DePaul team if they catch us snoozing, but I think our defensive approach will serve us well given their inexperience as a unit and guard situation. They struggled for stretches against Coppin and CMU, and those stretches should be longer against us. DePaul might keep it close, or we might keep it close for them, but I think we’ll win if we avoid shooting 30% from the field.

Last edited:
When not rooting for the Scarlet Knights, I pull for the Blue Demons — thought I’d share some thoughts on their first two games this season. They’re off until our game on Thursday.

It’s hard to have a feel for this team because it’s essentially a brand new roster. A bit of background: in 2019-20, they started 13-1 with wins against Iowa, Texas Tech, BC, Minnesota and Northwestern. Then started Big East play with a handful of close losses; the losing must have caused some internal issues because the team totally unraveled, and finished the season 16-16 with some 30+ pt losses down the stretch. They returned most of that roster last year, but had some covid issues, never found a rhythm, and HC Dave Leitao was out at season’s end.

Longtime Cinci / Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield was hired to replace Leitao and he rebuilt the team in the portal (I think four guys are back two or three see meaningful minutes). They’ve played two games (Coppin State and Central Michigan), and both games followed a similar pattern: uneven first half for DePaul then they turned it on a bit and pulled away by a bunch in the second half.

Bad News for RU: DePaul is talented and will have a puncher’s chance in every game this year. They’ll likely be a bottom half of the standings team, but they found some decent players in the portal, and will pull out a few unexpected wins.

Javon Freeman-Liberty will probably be the best scorer on the court on Thursday. He’s a bit of a Baker / Harper hybrid. Does a little more than Baker, but doesn’t have Harper’s size or versatility. Like those guys, he’s a streaky shooter. He’s a returning starter for DePaul, but started his career at Valpo. He should be playing the two, but two of DePaul’s incoming guards (a transfer from Oregon and a local high school kid) have been sidelined with ncaa clearance issues, so Freeman-Liberty has been playing the point. I think it slowed him down offensively early in the first game, but he settled in and ended up with 25 points, added 22 more against CMU.

Brandon Johnson (Minnesota transfer) has looked good inside, but that might have something to do with the competition. He’s only 6’8, so might be a good matchup for Cliff. Overall the team looks pretty long and athletic, and it seems like more than a few guys can hit a shot from deep. A big component of their half court offense is swinging the ball around the perimeter until they catch the defense slow to shift, often resulting in someone launching a three. David Jones has been hot to start the year, but looks to me like a guy that will level off against better competition.

Good News for RU: the timing works well for us. Though DePaul pulled away in both games, they’ve looked a little out of sorts for stretches on both sides of the ball. Their guys haven’t been teammates long, they only have two games under their belt as a unit, and they haven’t faced stiff competition yet.

I think that will be a huge advantage given our tough defense. We’ll slow the game and keep them in half court sets, forcing DePaul to communicate and move the ball around. I don’t think that will come easily for them, especially without a natural point guard running the offense. The back door cuts and over the top lobs to the paint that have been working for them against weaker competition will be contested against RU, and Cliff is an inside presence Johnson hasn’t faced yet.

Summary: this will be a dangerous DePaul team if they catch us snoozing, but I think our defensive approach will serve us well given their inexperience as a unit and guard situation. They struggled for stretches against Coppin and CMU, and those stretches should be longer against us. DePaul might keep it close, or we might keep it close for them, but I think we’ll win if we avoid shooting 30% from the field.
Just curious what your connection is that makes them your #2 team? Also Brandon Johnson was a handful for us last season in our must-win game at Minny where they took us to OT. So we are def. aware of him. He reminds me of Deshawn Freeman and also looks like him from a distance... same build, same hair style.

Just curious what your connection is that makes them your #2 team? Also Brandon Johnson was a handful for us last season in our must-win game at Minny where they took us to OT. So we are def. aware of him. He reminds me of Deshawn Freeman and also looks like him from a distance... same build, same hair style.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area; my dad would occasionally take me to DePaul games. I really got into it when they had a Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams, a kid from Jersey City named Rashon Burno. Still followed them during the first Leitao era (they won a tournament game before getting knocked out by UConn).

My interest waned when they were in the Big East with RU and I was in Jersey; I’ve since moved back, follow the team again, and try to get to a few games a year. Looking forward to seeing RU’s visit on Thursday.

I forgot about Johnson’s role in that game at Minnesota last year — maybe not an ideal matchup for Cliff then!

DePaul is one of the two OOC games that I do not expect us to win.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area; my dad would occasionally take me to DePaul games. I really got into it when they had a Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams, a kid from Jersey City named Rashon Burno. Still followed them during the first Leitao era (they won a tournament game before getting knocked out by UConn).

My interest waned when they were in the Big East with RU and I was in Jersey; I’ve since moved back, follow the team again, and try to get to a few games a year. Looking forward to seeing RU’s visit on Thursday.

I forgot about Johnson’s role in that game at Minnesota last year — maybe not an ideal matchup for Cliff then!
That team was great, and I remember Burno! St. Anthony's kid. QRich was a beast.

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill
The difference between Games 1 to 5, Games 6 to 10 and from 10 forward are Night and day.....a team that is playing well in November, could be terrible by mid January.

I think it was 2 years ago when DePaul went to Iowa and blew out the Hawkeyes 93-78....Iowa finished 20-11 and 11-9 in conference.

Anything is possible in a 1 game scenario......what you do over 30 to 32 games is what counts.....

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Quirky (or maybe not) stat from that 2019-20 DePaul season: They won more games against the Big Ten than they did against the Bit East.

Coppin St is 0-4, and has developed that Mike Davis and Texas Southern approach to scheduling under Juan Dixon. CMU 0-2 is far from the 23-12 in 2018-19, they return only a couple players from 7-16 last year, that lost to D2 Flagler by 20, under a new head coach this year, assistant from UK. They are 2 of the worst defensive teams in D1, where Rutgers at our best is a top 25 defensive team the last 2+ seasons. I just hope Pike is playing it vanilla these first 3 games including NJIT before Depaul, because DePaul does seem to have a few options on offense to pull off a win if our offense is still dormant. Pike did win there in his first season here.

Reactions: goru7
DePaul has scored more than 90 points in their first two games against mediocre competition similar to Rutgers.Somehow Rutgers will have to hold DePaul to scoring in the 60-70 point range to have a decent chance of winning on the road.

I have a strange feeling that a road game against a P5 type of team with bigger players who aren’t trying as hard is exactly what we need.

I think we will look better and play better against a team more like us.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT