ADVERTISEMENT

A Message from Coach Schiano

He should stay out of politics. Even in NJ, there's a sizable portion of the populace that doesn't agree.
wish you'd post this when someone brings up politics in threads started to talk about football.
Schiano trying to make sure high school sports programs take precautions for health reasons doesn't sound political to me .
Just sounds like a good keep safe health advise message in support of all involved in HS Athletics..

wish you'd post this when someone brings up politics in threads started to talk about football.

Anonymous randos making political posts on an internet message board does not generate ill will towards the football program. The head coach of the team wading into a political issue (as masks have become) potentially could generate ill will towards the football program. That's the difference. He shouldn't speak out on abortion, or raising the minimum wage, or federal tax policy either. There's no reason to wander into a political issue.

Dosen't agree with what?

Compulsory mask wearing

Anonymous randos making political posts on an internet message board does not generate ill will towards the football program. The head coach of the team wading into a political issue (as masks have become) potentially could generate ill will towards the football program. That's the difference. He shouldn't speak out on abortion, or raising the minimum wage, or federal tax policy either. There's no reason to wander into a political issue.
Some people (the politically obsessed) see everything in political terms. Both major political parties in this country leverage that mindset to drive voter behavior. That unfortunate reality makes it near-impossible to give an opinion about anything without wandering into a political issue.

Should everybody stop having an opinion about anything so as not to offend roughly half of the politically obsessed?

Or should people stop being so politically obsessed about everything?

Compulsory mask wearing

I gotta give credit where she's due: no one doubles down on dumb as spiritedly as you.

Lmao ...wearing masks during a pandemic is now equivalent to abortion.

Compulsory mask wearing

I think you have it wrong. Only the extreme might have some outrage in seeking out such a mild and relatively mundane political statement. RU is not likely to lose fans over this. Further, I would imagine that Schiano would not want the type of player who was either too reckless not to wear a mask when necessary, nor would he likely want a player who was too pre-occupied with protesting the politics of mandated masks during a pandemic. Preaching that his players and prospective players should stay safe is a great move. Comes across as involved and caring about his team's welfare and safety. What you want in a college HC and sends the right message to families of players.

I think you have it wrong. Only the extreme might have some outrage in seeking out such a mild and relatively mundane political statement. RU is not likely to lose fans over this.

My primary concern is not losing fans; it's a concern, but not my primary concern. My primary concern is losing donations and season ticket holders. I'm not worried about losing 25 guys in the upper deck Row 16. I'm worried about losing the next Bernie Marcus.

Further, I would imagine that Schiano would not want the type of player who was either too reckless not to wear a mask when necessary, nor would he likely want a player who was too pre-occupied with protesting the politics of mandated masks during a pandemic. Preaching that his players and prospective players should stay safe is a great move. Comes across as involved and caring about his team's welfare and safety. What you want in a college HC and sends the right message to families of players.

I'm sure Schiano has crossed many 4-stars off his recruiting list over their mask habits.

So now (so far) one or two so called "Rutgers fans" are now yapping at Schiano for doing a #WearYourMask PSA? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
So now the (so far) two or three so called "Rutgers fans" are now yapping at Schiano for doing a #WearYourMask PSA? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, it was an unforced error. Although I'm delighted to say it wasn't 1/10th as bad as the worst thing a Rutgers official did today.

My primary concern is not losing fans; it's a concern, but not my primary concern. My primary concern is losing donations and season ticket holders. I'm not worried about losing 25 guys in the upper deck Row 16. I'm worried about losing the next Bernie Marcus.

I'm sure Schiano has crossed many 4-stars off his recruiting list over their mask habits.

I would imagine that potential high rolling benefactors are not scrubbing twitter for "gotcha" coachspeak type comments, and even if they were passed this tweet from Schiano - it is a vanilla, stay safe type moment and not the inflamatory divisive political statement that you seem to be indicating in your point.

Also, I think you missed the mark on your response regarding recruits. A 4-Star HS recruit is likely to be more focused on football. Any that focus on making divisive political statement or positions might hurt their chances of getting the school they want. Also - RU does not currently play too often in the 4 Star pool anyway (YET!). Schiano historically has placed more focus on 2 or 3 star Character Guys....which aligns with my point.

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT