ADVERTISEMENT

A Thread Dedicated to Rutgers Football Rarities and Memorabilia

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
So I figure it's time to re-visit a fun Rutgers football topic - Rutgers football rarities and memorabilia. Any interesting items you have acquired with an historical story that you can post a picture of?

I just acquired this little guy who was made in Japan, possibly as early as the late 1930s or into the 1950s. The cheap celluloid doll pinbacks were college specific and sold at stadiums. You see "Japan" stamped on the back of his head. Many items like this between 1946 and 1950 were stamped with "Manufactured In Occupied Japan." So this guy is a little before the War or from the 1950s.

Anybody interested in sharing? I'll try to help you date the memorabilia if it's from way back.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This was manufactured by MacArthur & McBride Makers Albany & Troy. While it could represent Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute which is in the area, I think I've seen a Rutgers "R" like that from the time period. It would be the oldest Rutgers pennant I have seen. Rutgers fans would take scarlet flags to wave at football games in the 1890s.
s-l1600.jpg

Source, you could write a few paragraphs on the history of this program and game:

Well, okay sir. Rutgers last game against Princeton was 1915 and Rutgers head Coach Foster Sanford chided Princeton for refusing to renew the annual game after WWI and especially when they took every opportunity to avoid a 50th Anniversary of College Football Celebration game in 1919. Rutgers and Princeton would not renew their rivalry until 1933. But one of the reasons relations thawed was what happened at the game your football program is from. A game that drew 25,000 and most of the New Jersey state legislature. Neilson Field back at Rutgers only held less than 10,000.

The November 11, 1924 Targum said the Tigers’ loaning of Palmer Stadium to host the Rutgers-Lafayette game was only topped by Princeton’s 34-0 shutout at Harvard while the Scarlet won 43-7, “Princeton’s generosity serves to break the ice. It is, we hope an indication of Nassau’s true feeling toward its fellow-institution, an indication of the possibility of renewing the old rivalry which started back in the days of the cannon war and the first intercollegiate game…. the time for prejudice and hard-feelings has gone… It must have been a source of great satisfaction to the Princeton men who attended the game at Palmer Stadium to hear the Rutgers men cheer when it was announced that Princeton was leading Harvard by a score of 10-0. It seemed fitting that Princeton should be running up a score against a traditional rival while a neighboring college did likewise on Princeton’s home field.”

Well, okay sir. Rutgers last game against Princeton was 1915 and Rutgers head Coach Foster Sanford chided Princeton for refusing to renew the annual game after WWI and especially when they took every opportunity to avoid a 50th Anniversary of College Football Celebration game in 1919. Rutgers and Princeton would not renew their rivalry until 1933. But one of the reasons relations thawed was what happened at the game your football program is from. A game that drew 25,000 and most of the New Jersey state legislature. Neilson Field back at Rutgers only held less than 10,000.

The November 11, 1924 Targum said the Tigers’ loaning of Palmer Stadium to host the Rutgers-Lafayette game was only topped by Princeton’s 34-0 shutout at Harvard while the Scarlet won 43-7, “Princeton’s generosity serves to break the ice. It is, we hope an indication of Nassau’s true feeling toward its fellow-institution, an indication of the possibility of renewing the old rivalry which started back in the days of the cannon war and the first intercollegiate game…. the time for prejudice and hard-feelings has gone… It must have been a source of great satisfaction to the Princeton men who attended the game at Palmer Stadium to hear the Rutgers men cheer when it was announced that Princeton was leading Harvard by a score of 10-0. It seemed fitting that Princeton should be running up a score against a traditional rival while a neighboring college did likewise on Princeton’s home field.”

Thanks for the great write up. Any truth that this program was one of the first to have multiple photographs inside the program?

Thanks for the great write up. Any truth that this program was one of the first to have multiple photographs inside the program?

Multiple photos? Not sure. The Rutgers-Notre Dame program of 1921 might have had more than one photo overall (front cover and inside?). That one went for something like $700 (???). Notre Dame fans generally scarf up stuff like this for amazing prices.

What your program should contain is the name of a Rutgers quarterback from Ridgefield Park High School - Oswald "Ozzie" Nelson. Also Homer Hazel who was the first player in college football history to be named All American at two different positions (end in 1923, fullback in 1924).

il_340x270.412984656_b2ad.jpg

Last edited:
Your Rutgers bobblehead (nodder) doll is even more valuable because of the rarity of the green base ones. A trick I learned with the bobblehead I have of the Scarlet Knight is to wrap the bottom of his head with material (I gave him a mini-red scarf). This helps prevent the number one damage done to bobbleheads - the chipping of the head against the body when the head is tapped.

Homer Hazel (1916, 23-24) was the first Rutgers player to be immortalized on a football card. According to www.footballcardgallery.com, the 1926 Spalding Champions set featured 210 cards of stars from various sports including 14 cards of college football players. All but two of the players are in the College Football Hall of Fame. Annual and limited sets of football cards began in 1948.

Saw an estimate that there may only be five Homer Hazel cards known to exist.

I have dozens of Rutgers rarities and memorabilia. I'll post some during the next week or two. I'll start with this vintage 1962 Japanese bobblehead. These old nodders were made from paper mache, are very fragile, and hard to find in this high-grade condition.

I have the same one. Yours does seem to be in a little better condition as I have some chips on the head. Any idea on a value? I was given mine as a gift from a fiend who collects game worn jerseys and he got it thrown in on a deal he made because he knew I would like it.

And source, thanks for the tip. I will take care of that next

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I have the same one. Yours does seem to be in a little better condition as I have some chips on the head. Any idea on a value? I was given mine as a gift from a fiend who collects game worn jerseys and he got it thrown in on a deal he made because he knew I would like it.
And source, thanks for the tip. I will take care of that next

I've seen the good condition Rutgers bobbleheads from the 1960s go for $100-$200 dollars. The ones that are a little worn or damaged... perhaps between $40-$100+.

I've seen the good condition Rutgers bobbleheads from the 1960s go for $100-$200 dollars. The ones that are a little worn or damaged... perhaps between $40-$100+.
I paid $180 for mine about 10 years ago. The seller told me I probably wouldn't see another one in as good a shape. He was right.

I have a Rutgers College break in case of emergency condom from the 70s.

I am not even joking.

A few of my favorite items in my collection - and Mike, I'm looking for that Hazel too!:

- bobble head presented to RU Coach HARVEY HARMAN in 1963 to commemorate both the 25th anniversary of his team's 20-18 victory over Princeton and the dedication of the new RU Stadium;

- original 1938 folk art painting "RUTGERS STADIUM DEDICATION SCORING ON PRINCETON NOV. 5, 1938"; at bottom is the1938 schedule with results:
"SEPT. 24 RUTGERS 20 MARIETTA 0 - OCT.1 RUTGERS 15 Vermont 14 - OCT. 8 RUTGERS 6 NYU 25 - OCT. 15 RUTGERS 6 SPRINGFIELD 0 - OCT. 22 RUTGERS 32
HAMP. SYDNEY 0 - OCT. 29 RUTGERS 13 LEHIGH 0 - NOV. 5 RUTGERS 20 PRINCETON 18 - NOV. 12 RUTGERS 6 LFAYETTE )."
This item was featured on Big Ten Treasure Hunter (my cousin produces the show and needed a piece)

- Pocket Schedules from Coach Harman's estate

- Football Music Box (plays "On The Banks"), Rooter's Pin with helmet charm 1950's; foam mini football (my Dad's printing press made these)

Coach Harman's membership card VARSITY "R" CLUB (predecessor to Scarlet R Club) #101 (probably the first card issued); stadium postcard; Rooter's pin and Mrs. Harman's Stadium Parking Pass

8VeyJKx

iWLhY3J

CTGoimN

uEmiDYR

OYXR5S9

pHVxVn3

S.W.A.I.N. that's a great collection you have there. I only got to the mini footballs before the rest of the photos didn't display.

The 1950 “Topps Felt Backs” had two Rutgers football cards in the 100 card college players set that was noted for its whimsical descriptions of players. The cards came in penny packs and are only about 1" square. End “Al Burnett / Top Flight End / Rutgers” (letterwinner 1948-49) was card #9 and quarterback “Al (Boomy) Malekoff / Driving Quarterback / Rutgers U.” (letterwinnner 1946-49) was card #51. According to TuffStuff’s Annual Sportsprice Guide for 2009, both cards were valued at $75 and came in yellow or brown backgrounds.

Al_Burnett_(yellow).jpg
Al_Malekoff_(brown).jpg
1950_Topps_Felt_Backs.jpg

That's bobble-rific! What about the last six photos that didn't display in your earlier post?

And I also noticed Rutgers All-American Alex Kroll's "How To Be A TV Quarterback" from the early 1960s. I just purchased that late last year.

There's another book authored by a former Rutgers football player and its first All-American. But it's from long before you and I were on the planet.

"Through great failure and disappointments and a rather hectic life in college, amongst lumber camps, with the Ulster Volunteers, as sailor and detective in all parts of the world, I have yet striven to keep within me a love of Nature… Although travel, adventure, football and athletics have taken up considerably a short life, I desire to show doubting Thomases that an athlete may have, besides, other ambitions…For rather would I now be a humble writer than an All-American football player,” according to the December 18, 1916 Daily Home News.
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Talman-How...119652?hash=item2638961ee4:g:sp0AAOSwUi5ekn-G

That's bobble-rific! What about the last six photos that didn't display in your earlier post?

And I also noticed Rutgers All-American Alex Kroll's "How To Be A TV Quarterback" from the early 1960s. I just purchased that late last year.

There's another book authored by a former Rutgers football player and its first All-American. But it's from long before you and I were on the planet.

"Through great failure and disappointments and a rather hectic life in college, amongst lumber camps, with the Ulster Volunteers, as sailor and detective in all parts of the world, I have yet striven to keep within me a love of Nature… Although travel, adventure, football and athletics have taken up considerably a short life, I desire to show doubting Thomases that an athlete may have, besides, other ambitions…For rather would I now be a humble writer than an All-American football player,” according to the December 18, 1916 Daily Home News.
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Talman-How...119652?hash=item2638961ee4:g:sp0AAOSwUi5ekn-G
Very cool! The error photos were just more of the same...have about 100 programs, I’ll post some of the better ones.

Speaking of Homer Hazel, I've been trying to buy this card for decades. If anyone has any leads on one that is for sale, please let me know.

-2543309904785548866.jpg

2575363754082655463.jpg

Possibly even rarer than the Homer Hazel card is the card set discovered about a decade ago from 1928. According to www.beckett.com, Stanley “Tex” or “The Little Giant” Rosen (Rutgers 1926-28) was card #31 in a 44-card Star Player Candy 1928 set. The card was roughly 2” by 3” and thought to have been issued by John H. Dockman & Son candy company of Baltimore. Rosen played quarterback with the 1929 NFL Buffalo Bisons and wore #16.

front.jpg

www.beckett.com

The sepia-toned 1920s candy cards are not easily found and were issued by Dockman and Sons. That name will sound familiar to many caramel card collectors as they also produced a set of 40 cards cataloged as E92. And while the baseball cards are the more popular issue, Star Player Candy football cards also exist.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1928-star-player-candy-set-heritage-auction/

Last edited:
I was trying to post pictures of something I have from photobucket, but the pics aren't showing. Anybody else use photobucket?

Not sports related, but I have a program from the 1896 graduation ceremonies. Will try to put up picture if anyone is interested.- about 70 graduates, including a very distant cousin, several times removed,

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
A few of my favorite items in my collection - and Mike, I'm looking for that Hazel too!:

- bobble head presented to RU Coach HARVEY HARMAN in 1963 to commemorate both the 25th anniversary of his team's 20-18 victory over Princeton and the dedication of the new RU Stadium;

- original 1938 folk art painting "RUTGERS STADIUM DEDICATION SCORING ON PRINCETON NOV. 5, 1938"; at bottom is the1938 schedule with results:
"SEPT. 24 RUTGERS 20 MARIETTA 0 - OCT.1 RUTGERS 15 Vermont 14 - OCT. 8 RUTGERS 6 NYU 25 - OCT. 15 RUTGERS 6 SPRINGFIELD 0 - OCT. 22 RUTGERS 32
HAMP. SYDNEY 0 - OCT. 29 RUTGERS 13 LEHIGH 0 - NOV. 5 RUTGERS 20 PRINCETON 18 - NOV. 12 RUTGERS 6 LFAYETTE )."
This item was featured on Big Ten Treasure Hunter (my cousin produces the show and needed a piece)

I wonder if I worked with your cousin when I was on the show (season 1, episode 6). I wish BTN would bring back the series. I'd love to see more items from other collectors.

https://www.btnplus.com/video/big-ten-treasure-hunter-episode-6

I have some items from the Harman estate as well. I'll post some when I get the chance.

I wonder if I worked with your cousin when I was on the show (season 1, episode 6). I wish BTN would bring back the series. I'd love to see more items from other collectors.
https://www.btnplus.com/video/big-ten-treasure-hunter-episode-6
I have some items from the Harman estate as well. I'll post some when I get the chance.

I always thought B1G Treasure Hunters would cast a wider net and keep audience interest if they just dropped the haggling-for-items-to-buy-part-of-the-show. Many folks would show off their stuff. But they don't want to sell any of it.

Here's a tin engraved with Harvey Harman's name from the College Football Hall of Fame. Harman and Foster Sanford are the two Rutgers football head coaches in the CFHOF.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARVEY-HAR...915952?hash=item56c2d4d6b0:g:~JQAAOSwTgJcmCT2

Last edited:
Empty Black Haus bottle signed by Tomora Young, Shawnetta Stewart and Davalyn Cunningham the night we lost in the Elite Eight to Purdue in 1999. There wasn't much to do in Normal, Illinois, so the Pep Band brought the party.

vAJWfTD.jpg
hGigGib.jpg
PxGTIq3.jpg
Now that is one of a kind.

The first issue of TV Guide was issued on April 3, 1953. That November 20-26 edition featured Ozzie Nelson '27 on page 10 in his Rutgers football uniform. Also pictured is David Nelson who starred with his parents and brother Ricky Nelson in the Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet that ran on ABC-TV from 1952-66. Dad's uniform number at Rutgers was #30.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So I figure it's time to re-visit a fun Rutgers football topic - Rutgers football rarities and memorabilia. Any interesting items you have acquired with an historical story that you can post a picture of?

I just acquired this little guy who was made in Japan, possibly as early as the late 1930s or into the 1950s. The cheap celluloid doll pinbacks were college specific and sold at stadiums. You see "Japan" stamped on the back of his head. Many items like this between 1946 and 1950 were stamped with "Manufactured In Occupied Japan." So this guy is a little before the War or from the 1950s.

Anybody interested in sharing? I'll try to help you date the memorabilia if it's from way back.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Looks like a Speed Racer character!

I have the program somewhere in my house from Michael Jordan's first game at MSG when they played us. I have to find it and post. OSU played Princeton in the first game and we played UNC in the second game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT