ADVERTISEMENT

ACC-Big Ten Challenge is over after this year

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Starting to see the TV deals impact this stuff. The ACC will take on the SEC (both ESPN) and my assumption is the Big Ten and Big East (both FOX) will find a way to continue the Gavitt Games. Or the Big Ten will just say eff it and play 22 conference games or something.

As far as I am concerned it is no big deal. Perhaps we can arrange our own home and home with a major conference team. Three times against Miami and all three on the road as we kept getting the shaft with the ACC-Big 10 Challenge. The same with the Gavitt games where we played twice at Depaul with both on their court. We seem to have always gotten the short end of the stick.

As far as I am concerned it is no big deal. Perhaps we can arrange our own home and home with a major conference team. Three times against Miami and all three on the road as we kept getting the shaft with the ACC-Big 10 Challenge. The same with the Gavitt games where we played twice at Depaul with both on their court. We seem to have always gotten the short end of the stick.
100% correct
We play at schools (DePaul & Miami) with no atmosphere when you step into the arena. Meanwhile, we have one of the best crowds in college basketball. That is an excellent setup for conference vs. conference matchups when a network is promoting it.

good....at least for Rutgers, it always hamstrung the schedule because RU has always faced the middling to lesser teams or less of name teams like Clemson, Pitt, Miami. Even in the Big East challenge drawing De Paul and St Johns all the time and will that ever change???

I'm not shedding any tears that B1G/ACC challenge is ending. We can easily replace it with Big 12 adding Houston, Cincy, UCF and BYU, next year, are all quality basketball programs to replace Texas and OU.

ACC/SEC and ESPN can all kick rocks, and let ACC add another basketball only member or get ND for football and another full member to match SEC's 16 for football and basketball.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Was always a fun watch, but we can replace it with any other decent P5 team.

Isn't that at least in part the B1G's fault?

There is already a limited inventory of OOC games that can identify conference strength. Going to a 22 game schedule will make it even harder.

Just stating facts and have no opinion if it is bad or good.

I do think currently strength of conference is locked in (mostly) in December and as we know things change throughout the season.

If RU had a 22 game B1G schedule we wouldn’t be playing MIAMi and Wake Forrest this year.

The only RU gauge of the B1G conference would be Temple, Seton Hall and how badly we beat weak OOC teams (which is very flawed).

These challenges don't have the charm they did 20-30 years ago, when things were more regional. Nowadays, teams are scheduling the matchups with or without the framework of the challenge...

Acc is really faltering as a conference in almost every sport. Football and basketball are garbage.
My theory is that when the B1G added Rutgers and Maryland, it cut the ACC off from the I-95 recruiting hotbeds (DC, Philly, NJ, NYC), which has severely crippled the conference top to bottom in both major sports.

My theory is that when the B1G added Rutgers and Maryland, it cut the ACC off from the I-95 recruiting hotbeds (DC, Philly, NJ, NYC), which has severely crippled the conference top to bottom in both major sports.

They don't have any real marquee teams. Clemson is the closest thing and they are sort of a flash. Florida St has dropped off from a true contender and Miami is a shell. I predicted Cristobal won't win there and to date he isn't.

The rest of the teams are no real threat to win NC's or straight garbage.

VT > Minnesota
Northwestern > Pitt

PSU > Clemson
Maryland >>> Louisville
Illinois >>> Syracuse
Wisconsin > Wake (home court helps here)
Iowa > GT
Virginia > Michigan

Duke > Ohio State (maybe - close one!)
Purdue >>> Florida State
Rutgers v Miami - toss-up based on Caleb and Paul status
Indiana > North Carolina (close one)
Michigan State > Notre Dame
BC > Nebraska

10-4 is possible.

I’m disappointed on acc challenge ending. Expected it to end given new tv deal unfortunately. I just hope that replacing acc challenge opponent is done with another p5 opponent in lieu of a central conn state type of opponent.
I can dream and maybe see us in a pre season tournament.😉 to compensate

I’d fear Pike simply schedules 2 more home games vs low competition. He always says his goal is to play as many games at home as he can. At least the challenges forced RU to play 2 power 5 opponents in ACC challenge and Gavitt games.

Next year we have AT SHU and AT WAKE, maybe a neutral site game vs UCONN? PROV? Then will likely add 2 more low majors for 2 more home dates

Pitt shot the lights out. I didn't watch more than a couple minutes to have a clue how much of it was from bad D vs a team getting hot. Either way, yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT