ADVERTISEMENT

AD and NIL Collectives Should Prioritize Men's Basketball and Olympic Sports

zazoo2002

All Conference
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2002
Like some on the board, I was not in favor of Schiano 2.0; thought his warts - ego, mgmt style, resulting staff turnover, schemes, personnel usage, player development, etc - would be too difficult to overcome...particularly in the B1G East.

Time will tell, as GS is here to stay for the foreseeable future, but I just don't see him successfully competing, particularly now with the new NIL / free agency portal landscape. Even with an increase in NIL funding, I anticipate GS would continue to underperform recruit / transfer rankings - for the reasons mentioned above. My hope when GS was hired was a new indoor practice facility and a reasonably respectable program that an offensive-minded coach would take over...and then hopefully take the next step.

With the above now seemingly in doubt...I think the AD and collectives should prioritize the programs that have proven that they're able to produce more with less. I'm certainly not advocating that the AD bleed the football program - I know FB drives the bus and is the primary reason we're in the B1G. But since the magical 2006 season, GS has tended to produce less with more - relative to other RU programs. In fairness to GS or any affordable FB coach, the B1G lift may just be too heavy.

Men's basketball and many of the Olympic Sports have had multiple magical seasons. I'd like to see them provided the resources necessary to produce more with more - very possible, as the collectives gain traction and our conference share increases to a full share I believe in 2027. Go RU!

Like some on the board, I was not in favor of Schiano 2.0; thought his warts - ego, mgmt style, resulting staff turnover, schemes, personnel usage, player development, etc - would be too difficult to overcome...particularly in the B1G East.

Time will tell, as GS is here to stay for the foreseeable future, but I just don't see him successfully competing, particularly now with the new NIL / free agency portal landscape. Even with an increase in NIL funding, I anticipate GS would continue to underperform recruit / transfer rankings - for the reasons mentioned above. My hope when GS was hired was a new indoor practice facility and a reasonably respectable program that an offensive-minded coach would take over...and then hopefully take the next step.

With the above now seemingly in doubt...I think the AD and collectives should prioritize the programs that have proven that they're able to produce more with less. I'm certainly not advocating that the AD bleed the football program - I know FB drives the bus and is the primary reason we're in the B1G. But since the magical 2006 season, GS has tended to produce less with more - relative to other RU programs. In fairness to GS or any affordable FB coach, the B1G lift may just be too heavy.

Men's basketball and many of the Olympic Sports have had multiple magical seasons. I'd like to see them provided the resources necessary to produce more with more - very possible, as the collectives gain traction and our conference share increases to a full share I believe in 2027. Go RU!

Football has received plenty of resources to be competitive. Towers was feeding this program during the early Ash days.

Schaino has average or above average staff salaries.
We have the brand new outdoor facility.
I’m not too certain a new indoor facility makes too much of a wave in recruiting these days.
The options are to either hire stud recruiters like Fran was or to develop into an overpaying NIL machine. I severely doubt we do the latter and out pay even half the league.

Reactions: zazoo2002
I have seen enough. Even with a NIL war chest, GS will continue to grossly underperform. Basketball, wrestling, lacrosse, soccer, and baseball, at the very least, should be the priority.
It definitely seems like more money for football is throwing good money after bad. You could give Schiano $100 million and he would go 7 and 5 at best. Better to spend on other sports with more upside.

It definitely seems like more money for football is throwing good money after bad. You could give Schiano $100 million and he would go 7 and 5 at best. Better to spend on other sports with more upside.
Agreed. I always thought Greg's ceiling was 7/8 wins...matching Floods first season in the B1G. We all like a winning program - I'm fine watching other RU programs.

Basketball has the most upside because we already have a great coach, there is a lot of local talent and it's high-profile.
Love Pike! Great ambassador. Much cheaper to buy a few 4 stars each year too...plus less heralded, but B1G quality recruits, like Simpson and Woolfolk.

How do prioritize other sports that simply don’t bring in money? Like it or not football is the revenue and NIL driver. You are not going to get donors to throw money at sports they care very little about. Is a car dealership going to throw a ton of money at a wrestler no one outside the small wrestling community cares about? Reality is you can neglect the cash cow.

Would like to see RU win a natty in any sport. Crew, FH, Lacrosse. Whatever we have a legitimate chance in. Not sure we can ever get that done in football or basketball no matter how much NIL came in.

How do prioritize other sports that simply don’t bring in money? Like it or not football is the revenue and NIL driver. You are not going to get donors to throw money at sports they care very little about. Is a car dealership going to throw a ton of money at a wrestler no one outside the small wrestling community cares about? Reality is you can neglect the cash cow.
It's a good question. As I said in the OP, not suggesting that the AD bleed the football program. But even with increased AD funding and a NIL war chest, Schiano's flaws and archaic approach to football are not going to produce a winning program. So, better imo to strategically allocate funds to the programs that will support our student athletes best.

We are, after all, the birthplace of college football...unfettered by progress. RU fans are obscenely loyal.

I can rely on half-baked, poorly-considered schemes for future Rutgers success to appear on this board moments after disappointing losses with the same inevitability as death and taxes.
In my defense, I posted the *half-baked, poorly-considered scheme* at half-time. So, what's the answer? Given current budget limitations...seems like we can either adequately support winning basketball / olympic sports or a less mediocre football program.

The other ones don’t need as much help as “the company you keep” has been very beneficial with the B1G connection.

It’s going to be a big (huge actually) pie by the end of the media contact. While Football and MBB will continue to get the biggest slice, as they should, the others will have the biggest slice they’ve ever had.

Last edited:
The other ones don’t need as much help as “the company keep” has been very beneficial with the B1G connection.

It’s going to be a big (huge actually) pie by the end of the media contact. While Football and MBB will continue to get the biggest slice, as they should, the others will have the biggest slice they’ve ever had.
I'm not sure how deeply NIL impacts the non-revenue sports. Hopefully with upgraded facilities, eventual full share^, and a very fertile recruiting territory, RU sports programs continue to perform well.

I'm not sure how deeply NIL impacts the non-revenue sports. Hopefully with upgraded facilities, eventual full share^, and a very fertile recruiting territory, RU sports programs continue to perform well.
The first thing, bullet point on the whiteboard for every B1G team is to win the B1G. Didn’t get that vibe in the Big East or the AAC.

But I do get the feeling our other teams in Athletics got the memo.

Cross Country just picked up the kid who won the MOC (Meet of Champions for all you non-harriers 😎) this season.

Funny thing is that it took Pike 4 years to turn it around. That’s basketball.

Neat, I wasn't aware there were people still advocating the UConn model.
You mean the same UConn that just beat the brakes off of #18 Alabama to get to 7 - 0? Or, their football team bowling under first year head coach, Jim Mora? Yes, coaching matters. But, if you prefer watching the abortion that Schiano trots weekly, more power to you.

You mean the same UConn that just beat the brakes off of #18 Alabama to get to 7 - 0? Or, their football team bowling under first year head coach, Jim Mora? Yes, coaching matters. But, if you prefer watching the abortion that Schiano trots weekly, more power to you.
Same UCONN team that lost to Army today? That’s your example. Coaching matters?

agree with op and sentiment.

it's time to turn the page on Greg, put resources where they will benefit most until a new hc is here

I’ve been saying this for a long time. Schiano sucks but football is so far behind it’s not even funny.

Give the resources to basketball and the handful of Olympic sports than can compete Oman national level.

One correction. We aren’t in the B1G because of football. We are in because of our market.

All we needed was a D1 team, which is barely what we have now.

Schiano is an embarrassment. I wouldn’t give him a dime for NIL. He wouldn’t know what to do with talent.

Not my example. Follow the thread. Regardless, both are plus programs at the moment. For perspective, our football program is closer to 2 - 10 than 6 - 6...which is UConn's record...on a shoe string budget I'm sure.
No they are not. They will lose money on the bowl game. The only winner is Jim Mora.

I’ve been saying this for a long time. Schiano sucks but football is so far behind it’s not even funny.

Give the resources to basketball and the handful of Olympic sports than can compete Oman national level.

One correction. We aren’t in the B1G because of football. We are in because of our market.

All we needed was a D1 team, which is barely what we have now.

Schiano is an embarrassment. I wouldn’t give him a dime for NIL. He wouldn’t know what to do with talent.
We are in the BIG because of football .

Yes, that UConn model where the school is left out of the Power 5 and they will receive no significant revenue (in comparison to say ... us) as their school slowly continues its inevitable drift out of major college athletics.

Football matters. Mens basketball matters a little (like 1/50th of football, maybe). Everything else is irrelevant. These sports matter to the players, the coaches, and their families ... but they do not matter to the overall success of the university. Sorry, it's a cruel world, but that's the truth.

UConn has probably a Top 10 mens basketball program over the last 30 years. It is the the top womens basketball program during that time. Nobody cares. Literally nobody. They can't even get into the ACC - a basketball conference that is going to collapse the instant the SEC decides to poach Clemson and Florida State.

Last edited:
That place makes stuff up
The B1G doesn’t give AF about a mediocre team with a 55k seat stadium.

What they do care a lot about is markets. It’s a fascinating read with quotes from the players involved and it confirmed what many of us knew already.

Read it. It’s really interesting.

That outside of BB generate little to no revenue. Good call!

Are you counting all of the Big 10 money as football revenue? Because football is the only reason we have it.
Fake news. We are in the B1G for one reason. Our real estate. The B1G wasn’t clamoring for a 55K seat stadium with a shotty record.

They wanted our market because they knew how to monetize it. And that’s what they did.

Fake news. We are in the B1G for one reason. Our real estate. The B1G wasn’t clamoring for a 55K seat stadium with a shotty record.

They wanted our market because they knew how to monetize it. And that’s what they did.
Nonsense. Without the success of the football program from 2005 to 2012, there is no Big 10 for us ... I don't care if our home games were played on the roof of Madison Square Garden.

I donate to all but face it football stirs the drink. By the way 6 sold out fb games is like over 300000 payees.How many sold out bb games will it take to match that--40.

Yes, that UConn model where the school is left out of the Power 5 and they will receive no significant revenue (in comparison to say ... us) as their school slowly continues its inevitable drift out of major college athletics.

Football matters. Mens basketball matters a little (like 1/50th of football, maybe). Everything else is irrelevant. These sports matter to the players, the coaches, and their families ... but they do not matter to the overall success of the university. Sorry, it's a cruel world, but that's the truth.

UConn has probably a Top 10 mens basketball program over the last 30 years. It is the the top womens basketball program during that time. Nobody cares. Literally nobody. They can't even get into the ACC - a basketball conference that is going to collapse the instant the SEC decides to poach Clemson and Florida State.
But if you’re a school that’s gonna stink in football and and embarrass the school , is it worth it just for the money ? That is the question .

But if you’re a school that’s gonna stink in football and and embarrass the school , is it worth it just for the money ? That is the question .
Yes, of course. What an absurd question.

Ask UConn, Syracuse, Temple, or Boston College if they'd trade places with us.

Yes, of course. What an absurd question.

Ask UConn, Syracuse, Temple, or Boston College if they'd trade places with us.
Ok . It’s just a question . I don’t think success should be determined on what conference you’re in . If you’re the worst program in the BIG that is nothing to brag about over other schools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT