ADVERTISEMENT

AD HOBBS re: Women's Soccer

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Time to think long and hard about this ..,Coach is a FANTASTIC recruiter but losing to a team 133 spots below us in the EPI, opening round of the NCAA’s AT HOME, is completely unacceptable.

PLEASE force him to hire an offensive-minded assistant coach!!!

I’m sorry but there is nothing that I see that makes me want O’Neil anymore. We can go undefeated in the regular season for all I care but his refusal to change his offense will keep even our best teams down. Total idiot.

I’m sorry but there is nothing that I see that makes me want O’Neil anymore. We can go undefeated in the regular season for all I care but his refusal to change his offense will keep even our best teams down. Total idiot.

Hard to argue with this.

Helluva way to end the season - lose in the B1G tournament and the NCAA on your home field. Only at Rutgers ...

NO EXCUSES. NONE. Stubborn **** of a HC. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate everything he’s done to elevate this program, but it has completely stalled because of his ****ing stubbornness

Regardless of result tonight there is no way he’s firing a coach right now who’s team is top 20 and competed for big 10 title.
Agree 100% but if he doesn’t change things we are going to end up same results every year now by Rutgers standards this is great a team makes the NCAA’s every year but agree with the talent we should be doing better will give a full recap later because there are so many issues with this team

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Agree 100% but if he doesn’t change things we are going to end up same results every year now by Rutgers standards this is great a team makes the NCAA’s every year but agree with the talent we should be doing better will give a full recap later because there are so many issues with this team
Don’t disagree.

The problem I have with this coach, is his style is to play defensively. We have the players IMO to execute a dynamic offense, but he holds them back. He reminds me of coaches that play not to lose. There is NO excuse to lose to a team like CCSU. None.

The team attacked. Connecticut had a lot of players back. We had 10 corners & 16 shots,10 on frame. We didn't execute & our decision making was poor at times.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The team attacked. Connecticut had a lot of players back. We had 10 corners & 16 shots,10 on frame. We didn't execute & our decision making was poor at times.

One big criticism I have read is we are terrible in our approach and execution of corners.

For example, last night we took 4-5 short corners vs playing the ball directly into the box, and did not even get shots off on those short corners.

Agreed we did attack an thought the game was played mostly in our offensive third. We could not finish - period. 18 shots 10 on frame. We dominated that game from start to finish, their goalie made one nice save that’s it. Ali needs to stop switching to her right foot every time she tries to shoot and Nmeka needs to play hard more than the first 15 minutes of each half. Don’t care if you’re banged up it’s win or go home and they didn’t want it enough.

Can someone who follows women’s soccer explain this to me? This is very upsetting. I know you can’t pencil in wins and I also know soccer has a small margin of error, but you cannot get shut out. I noticed this either last year or the year before when Ali kept getting game winning goals in OT for us. It’s awesome when we win, but having to go into OT regardless of who we were playing was a red flag. Is our offensive scheme that bad? Do we have the scoring threats

Set realistic expectations ... Top 5 finishes in regular season ... and early exits in B1G and NCAA tournaments.

Set realistic expectations ... Top 5 finishes in regular season ... and early exits in B1G and NCAA tournaments.

Unfortunately, the tournaments are what the regular season prepares you for.

The tournaments are what matter the most, especially the NCAA Tournament.

I was hoping for a much better year for Rutgers this year in the Directors Cup. But, Women's Soccer and Field Hockey got eliminated quickly this year.

This will also be a down year in Wrestling.
Ugh...

Time to think long and hard about this ..,Coach is a FANTASTIC recruiter but losing to a team 133 spots below us in the EPI, opening round of the NCAA’s AT HOME, is completely unacceptable.

PLEASE force him to hire an offensive-minded assistant coach!!!

As head of the PDA girls division as has first crack at a good % of the best talent in Northern NJ. Does that make him a fantastic recruiter? Unfortunately he brings his PDA offense to college, where it does not work.

On the flip side, this team is way, way better than when Crooks was coach.

My daughter plays for PDA and UMRU's statement is spot on. Same defensive philosophy across a ton of the PDA girls teams unless you have a coach that goes rogue. Keep one girl up top and have your outside forwards/midfielders go 18 to 18 until they are dead from running. So hard to score and if you make one mistake in the back you lose. Not really sure why he doesn't see this. I get he has had success in the regular season but the tourneys - not so much. And to be honest if you are an offensive player why would you want to play for him. It is going to start to bite him if he doesn't change his ways. Coach Stringer seems to be adjusting for women's bb, so hopefully he can as well.

My daughters team has played numerous PDA teams in the past and you are right. All the do is move the ball from the backs to Mid’s, play it to the back again and then launch a long ball to the solo striker. Those long passes are often inaccurate and you are just giving the ball away the majority of the times. My daughters team plays a ball controlled system that exhausted PDA. We played very similar to Penn
State

Reactions: RUonBrain
My daughters team has played numerous PDA teams in the past and you are right. All the do is move the ball from the backs to Mid’s, play it to the back again and then launch a long ball to the solo striker. Those long passes are often inaccurate and you are just giving the ball away the majority of the times. My daughters team plays a ball controlled system that exhausted PDA. We played very similar to Penn
State

This problem seems very obvious to those in the know.

The team is decent, but style of play is not built to make deep runs in tournaments.

Very frustrating to fans of the team.
Seems hopeless unless we get a new coach, or he changes his philosophy (neither seems likely).

Truthfully, this sucks.

This problem seems very obvious to those in the know.

The team is decent, but style of play is not built to make deep runs in tournaments.

Very frustrating to fans of the team.
Seems hopeless unless we get a new coach, or he changes his philosophy (neither seems likely).

Truthfully, this sucks.
Great style of play when you are trying to hold a lead or you are are trying to stay in it with a more talented team. But, not when you are behind or giving a less talented team a better chance of staying in it against you.

Basically, the team needs to know how to play multiple ways depending on the situation. A diversified offense is harder to prepare for and defend.

Scoring goals is difficult task. As 30+ goalie, i have a lot of exerence stopping it. . It is very hard for a team to be a scoring team and a defensive team at the same time. (In a no score situation) it is really a matter of creating opportunities. Long ball is easy to deal with as defender.. But inbalances and passes in the box is much harder to deal with and defend. RU is great at individual efforts and opportunies (a version of individual efforts.) They are not as strong in the red Zone offense (1/3 of the field in front of the other teams goal. I really don't see a need for head coach change.

Scoring goals is difficult task. As 30+ goalie, i have a lot of exerence stopping it. . It is very hard for a team to be a scoring team and a defensive team at the same time. (In a no score situation) it is really a matter of creating opportunities. Long ball is easy to deal with as defender.. But inbalances and passes in the box is much harder to deal with and defend. RU is great at individual efforts and opportunies (a version of individual efforts.) They are not as strong in the red Zone offense (1/3 of the field in front of the other teams goal. I really don't see a need for head coach change.

Here’s the thing:

When you play all season long NOT TO LOSE, well, It’s very hard to turn it on and win games in tournament format when other teams are doing everything they can to do so. We keep proving this over and over in both B1G and NCAA tourney play.

You are correct on all counts. And contrary to popular & uninformed opinion being expressed on this board, O'Neill & the team do not play to lose.

My daughter plays for PDA and UMRU's statement is spot on. Same defensive philosophy across a ton of the PDA girls teams unless you have a coach that goes rogue. Keep one girl up top and have your outside forwards/midfielders go 18 to 18 until they are dead from running. So hard to score and if you make one mistake in the back you lose. Not really sure why he doesn't see this. I get he has had success in the regular season but the tourneys - not so much. And to be honest if you are an offensive player why would you want to play for him. It is going to start to bite him if he doesn't change his ways. Coach Stringer seems to be adjusting for women's bb, so hopefully he can as well.

It is a successful type of play if you have 1 or 2 strikers that are substantially faster than the defense. This happens at the club level but not at the D1 level. RU counts on Amira’s Ali to do way to much on her own. Very frustrating.

In the bigger picture, the “elite” girls clubs tend to value results over development these days. Most ECNL teams play a gimmick offense that, IMO, is useless at higher levels. My daughter’s team plays ECNL clubs a lot - these coaches know girls at this age are not strong enough to play balls over much distance so they pack all 10 players within about 40 yards of the goal, clog the passing lanes and over sell to the ball side of the field. We had one team from Texas that played the goalie at midfield! The game starts looking like rec games with 6 year olds - everyone just collapses within 15 yards of the ball.

O'Neill is and always has been historically a defensive coach; What he needs to do is get an assistant and let him or her revamp his style especially offense or we are going to be in the same boat every year; just watch the teams that are left in the NCAA tournament play alot different than Rutgers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT