ADVERTISEMENT

AFC and NFC Championship Games - Long term move to Sunday-Monday Events & Neutral Site

Jimpeg

Junior
Sep 2, 2014
Would really hate if the AFC-NFC Championship games moved to Sunday- Monday events..Also moving to neutral sites screws the season ticket holders..
Follow the mon$y

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-championships-become-a-sunday-monday-event/

Multiple stories from in-the-know individuals such as Florio recently suggested that the NFL shifting to neutral-site AFC and NFC Championship Games is essentially "inevitable." This comes after the league chose to make on-the-fly changes for this winter's postseason tournament following the medical emergency involving Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin. Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II made it known on Thursday he "hates" the idea of neutral-site conference championship matchups.

Florio noted in Friday's piece that moving to a Sunday-Monday format for conference championship games would allow the NFL to dominate sports conversations from the week leading up to those events up through at least the subsequent Tuesday.

"For both games, there would be a longer pregame, and a longer post-game," Florio added. "More attention. More discussion. More everything."

Football fans around the country will likely loudly complain about neutral-site conference championships over fears that they may miss out on a massive home game involving their favorite team.

Separating the conference championship contests makes too much financial sense for the NFL not to do it eventually, and embracing such a move wouldn't impact paying customers much more than traditional "Sunday Night Football" and "Monday Night Football" clashes.

• Angry
Reactions: newell138
I only follow NFL when NCAAF is done so not too invested but I wouldn't mind one Saturday and one Sunday, no interest in Monday. Would like them to move the Super Bowl to Saturday but I am guessing one reason is host cities want more hotel and restaurant business, keeping people there longer.

Reactions: robcac26
I only follow NFL when NCAAF is done so not too invested but I wouldn't mind one Saturday and one Sunday, no interest in Monday. Would like them to move the Super Bowl to Saturday but I am guessing one reason is host cities want more hotel and restaurant business, keeping people there longer.
Traditionally, Saturday night is the weakest TV night, and Sunday night is the strongest. Whether those rules still apply, I do not know.

This would devalue the regular season by taking away home field advantage for these games, make it much harder for real fans to see these games in person, and make it harder for kids to watch the full Monday night game.

But they will do it anyway.

Another reason I have zero interest in the NFL
Give me college athletics 8 days a week
Absolutely! The NCAA ALWAYS places the purity of the sport, and the best interest of the student-athletes, ahead of financial matters. To the NCAA, money is purely incidental.

For example, the NCAA would never think of playing its championship games at a neutral site on a Monday night.

In the words of Michael Corleone (with apologies to the movie thread) "We're all part of the same hypocrisy."

Absolutely! The NCAA ALWAYS places the purity of the sport, and the best interest of the student-athletes, ahead of financial matters. To the NCAA, money is purely incidental.

For example, the NCAA would never think of playing its championship games at a neutral site on a Monday night.

In the words of Michael Corleone (with apologies to the movie thread) "We're all part of the same hypocrisy."
Never said they did
NCAA is corrupt as the day is long

But in college, there’s still a purity to a lot of it

Campuses, traditions, stadiums not being demolished every 25 years, bands, cheers fight songs, more civility amongst fans, etc

NFL is purely corporate

There’s passion, but only in pockets, and absent of the Packers, who most closely resemble a college athmosphere, none of it even remotely compares

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I dont see how it would be more of an event. Today is one of the best days of football each year. If a game was Monday I’d put it on when I get home from some youth sport practice.

Gee I can't figure out why I have less and less interest in pro sports. Dilute the product some more and get more woke at the same time.

Reactions: RU at the shore
LOLz SF QB already out injured

Game Over

images

The priorities they will consider when making decisions on this:

1) Money
2) everything else

Same reason there are 17 regular season games now and half the league literally makes the playoffs

Reactions: Rhuarc
NFL already gets almost all of the ticket revenue from conference championship games as it currently stands. Unfortunately it seems like neutral site games is the next logical step for them -- would be awful for fans though.

ADVERTISEMENT