ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Mackall

Cyclone Wrestling@CycloneWR

New Brunswick
27a1.png
Ames
Alex Mackall is transferring from Rutgers to Iowa State! The Austintown, Ohio native was the 120-pound Ohio state champ in 2015 and was the No. 71 overall recruit in his class. He will be eligible to compete for Iowa State next season.

You guys will be getting a good kid. Decent wrestler, but at this point I don't know if he'll develop into an AA. Definitely has at least Nationals ability though.

Reactions: buf87
We will take him. Coaches want kids that will work hard and then they can live with the results.
Currently we have 2 walkons and 1 placed 3rd at state and the other only qualified for state.
The one that place 3rd, just broke his hand and is out 4-6 weeks. So down to 1 again

Not sure recently, but, Mackall beat Firestone at the public wrestle offs 12-8. It really does not matter since Mackall was recruited as a 125lber and wants to wrestle 125. He is transferring to wrestle 125 not 133. Either way next season at 133 will be a huge question mark.
My guess is NS is goin 133 next year ...just my opinion !

Reactions: 61RayStreet
I would say that Nick will be at 125 his entire career and if he was going up to 133...why would Mackall transfer to wrestle 125 somewhere else?

Reactions: koleszar
IMO, Suriano is a 125 all 4 years. He would be a pretty small 133. He is quicker, not stronger , than the top 125 guys in the weight right now.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
IMO, Suriano is a 125 all 4 years. He would be a pretty small 133. He is quicker, not stronger , than the top 125 guys in the weight right now.

Disagree. I would say Suriano is stronger than most 125 pounders, including most top guys. Off the top of my head, Tomasello is the only guy I can think of with a strength advantage over NS.

I will bet he is stronger as well with the exception of Tomasello.
Disagree. I would say Suriano is stronger than most 125 pounders, including most top guys. Off the top of my head, Tomasello is the only guy I can think of with a strength advantage over NS.

Spencer Lee? Sean Fauz? Bressner? Lizak? Although I think Suriano beats them all , these guys seem to get more pins and back points then Suriano, who's style is more take down, and if back points aren't coming fairly quick, release and repeat.
It was good to see Suriano try to get some back points on Friday night, I think he got 2, but he was never close to pinning that guy, or getting a 4 count even.
My point was Suriano's strength at 125 is just fine, but move him to 133 and his superior quickness may be offset by some guys having a decided size and strength advantage.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Spencer Lee? Sean Fauz? Bressner? Lizak? Although I think Suriano beats them all , these guys seem to get more pins and back points then Suriano, who's style is more take down, and if back points aren't coming fairly quick, release and repeat.
It was good to see Suriano try to get some back points on Friday night, I think he got 2, but he was never close to pinning that guy, or getting a 4 count even.
My point was Suriano's strength at 125 is just fine, but move him to 133 and his superior quickness may be offset by some guys having a decided size and strength advantage.
He seems to me not a pinner. In a methodical way just beats the crap out of his opponent, wears them down and gets a tech decision. I will take that. I like the pins for the pin club. LOL!!!!

You may be right, but, when Zain Retherford was asked last year who the strongest kid on the team was he said it was Nick Suriano. That’s clearly pound for pound. I’ll try to find the link.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
You may be right, but, when Zain Retherford was asked last year who the strongest kid on the team was he said it was Nick Suriano. That’s clearly pound for pound. I’ll try to find the link.
That's a huge compliment considering Zain can squish watermelons with his bare hands.. Suriano is a fking war machine idk how u guys question his strength.. he's shredded

I hadn’t heard that one, that says a lot coming from Rutherford. I had a friendly discussion last night on the NJcom Wrestling forum, a Lehigh fan saying how Cruz would be the favorite at 125 this March, and even with me pointing out how Suriano beat him easily last 7-0, plus Cruz losing to Picc in the November All Star classic, I couldn’t sway the guy, a Lehigh fan , I guess. Cruz should cruise into March w no losses since the EIWA has no ranked 125 guys other than Cruz, whereas the BIG has 8.

Reactions: dbtks34
I hadn’t heard that one, that says a lot coming from Rutherford. I had a friendly discussion last night on the NJcom Wrestling forum, a Lehigh fan saying how Cruz would be the favorite at 125 this March, and even with me pointing out how Suriano beat him easily last 7-0, plus Cruz losing to Picc in the November All Star classic, I couldn’t sway the guy, a Lehigh fan , I guess. Cruz should cruise into March w no losses since the EIWA has no ranked 125 guys other than Cruz, whereas the BIG has 8.
Well, Bill was also claiming that Lewis would beat Nolf, and he didn't sound like he could be swayed. A Rutgers fan, I guess. :smiley:

Mr Nolf just won by 1 point against Michigan pa so he is not invincible.

That was an entertaining bout and meet. A little controversy in Mcics bout with Retherford twisting his ankle and knee. He does this a lot.
Also was surprised how easy Coon beat Nevills. I underestimated Coon. Even Joseph had a close match.

Mr Nolf just won by 1 point against Michigan pa so he is not invincible.
It was by 2, but that's just nitpicking. Nolf is 42-0 since his finals loss in 2016, with 88% bonus rate. He might not be invincible, but Richie Lewis would not beat Nolf, even if they wrestled at 165.

That was an entertaining bout and meet. A little controversy in Mcics bout with Retherford twisting his ankle and knee. He does this a lot.
Also was surprised how easy Coon beat Nevills. I underestimated Coon. Even Joseph had a close match.
Retherford did not wrestle Micic. Amine did, and the only controversy is that a Northwestern fan started crap on Hawkeye Report. Why don't you say what you're thinking about Zain, instead of beating around the bush?

Last time Joseph met Massa, he beat him 5-4 in the NCAA semi's. This time, he beat him 12-3. How much separation do you want, before it's no longer a "close match?"

No doubt there is Snyder, a significant drop to Coon and a significant drop to the third place guys.

Retherford did not wrestle Micic. Amine did, and the only controversy is that a Northwestern fan started crap on Hawkeye Report. Why don't you say what you're thinking about Zain, instead of beating around the bush?

Last time Joseph met Massa, he beat him 5-4 in the NCAA semi's. This time, he beat him 12-3. How much separation do you want, before it's no longer a "close match?"

No doubt there is Snyder, a significant drop to Coon and a significant drop to the third place guys.

I knew I would strike a nerve with the NITS who stop by here, lol. Only surprised you responded so quickly, lol. Guess I mixed up the close matches w Joseph and Nickal & Hall.. No issue with you defending your team. Your team should roll over Sparty today. Most of the rest of the BIG fans seem to hope Ohio St beats Penn St. Guess being number 1 you get the target on your back, and the occasional obnoxious Penn St fans just fuel the flames.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/se...jlrhfvgkx&dualId=6137794009&teamId=6213845009

ANyone who thinks Zain and Nolf didn't twist ankles simply wasn't watching. Zain is great but that was dirty. That Nolf tried to pull the same garbage in his match says something.

And before you call me a homer, I said the same crap about our 3x AA's crap at Midlands last year.

That was dirty. You know it, I know it.

I knew I would strike a nerve with the NITS who stop by here, lol. Only surprised you responded so quickly, lol. Guess I mixed up the close matches w Joseph and Nickal & Hall.. No issue with you defending your team. Your team should roll over Sparty today. Most of the rest of the BIG fans seem to hope Ohio St beats Penn St. Guess being number 1 you get the target on your back, and the occasional obnoxious Penn St fans just fuel the flames.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/se...jlrhfvgkx&dualId=6137794009&teamId=6213845009
Yes, shocking, isn't it, that a fan would get defensive about one of the best ever wrestlers being called dirty or a cheater? In fact, that's the biggest problem I have with what you've done. Rather than say it was a dirty move in that match, you said he does it often, calling into question his entire career. That's a chickenshit move on your part, particularly since I've never seen you call it out before, only when fans of another team do. And, since it has virtually never been called by a referee, I even question how much of Zain you watch and whether you know the rule.

While many fans of other teams might want to see Ohio State beat Penn State, because of our success, those same fans unquestionably say that they love to watch Zain, Nolf, Nickal and Hall wrestle.

ANyone who thinks Zain and Nolf didn't twist ankles simply wasn't watching. Zain is great but that was dirty. That Nolf tried to pull the same garbage in his match says something.

And before you call me a homer, I said the same crap about our 3x AA's crap at Midlands last year.

That was dirty. You know it, I know it.
I'll bet Amine never shoves Zain again.

Can we all now agree that Zain Retherferd has taken the unofficial title of "NCAA Wrestling's Dirtiest Wrestler"? I think Flo will have this headline soon.
It's a shame because he probably doesn't need to resort to knee twisting, ankle tugging, eye gouging, head butting, ear biting, but man.....does this guy have a long and storied history going back to Jr HS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT