ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to readers of On The Banks - On the Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virus gonna virus

That's "new" information related to a mutation that was reported on 4 months ago. Even back then it was recognized as likely being a bit more infectious, but the Post headline, as is often the case, is misleading. The headline does not say the virus "may be evolving to bypass masks..." - the quote from NAIAD's Moren says, "“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious, it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” Morens told the newspaper. That's a very different statement. Plus, it makes little sense to assume that a viral mutation which completely does not affect the size or conformation of the virus would have anything to do with the virus's ability to penetrate a filter or cloth mesh.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.191275/post-4606876

Reactions: Greg2020
Fauci also said not to wear masks and that they might actually be counterproductive (ie, make you more likely to get the coronavirus).

... and then he told Congress that he was lying when he said that, and that he didn't regret it.
Just like old times, getting to correct all the misinformation posted here. In this interview, he said masks should be worn by infected people (which would obviously include asymptomatics) to prevent them from infecting others and he also said they're very important for high risk people, like health care workers to have to reduce their chances to become infected.

The area he was "wrong" on was in saying everyone didn't need to wear them, but it was understandable back then as he wanted to avoid health care workers not having access to masks because healthy people might use them up, since the Administration didn't do much to procure the level of PPE we needed. He also never told Congress he was "lying."

The area he was "wrong" on was in saying everyone didn't need to wear them, but it was understandable back then as he wanted to avoid health care workers not having access to masks because healthy people might use them up, since the Administration didn't do much to procure the level of PPE we needed. He also never told Congress he was "lying."

Fauci now says that when he made those comments on 60 Minutes, he believed mask wearing to be just as effective as he believes mask wearing to be now, but he told everyone in the public not to wear them because he was afraid the public would buy them all and the medical community wouldn't have enough. That is called lying to the public (on behalf of the government). By his own admission he was lying on 60 minutes.

I know he's your hero, but tough tits ... he lied. I'm not changing the definition of the word to make you feel better.

Now, I personally believe he was being honest in his 60 Minutes comments and that the government's scientific community subsequently decided it wanted everyone wearing masks to encourage a sense of panic and resulting obedience. But even if that is accurate, he still lied to the public (it's just that he's lying now and told the truth on 60 Minutes).

Last edited:
Fauci now says that when he made those comments on 60 Minutes, he believed mask wearing to be just as effective as he believes mask wearing to be now, but he told everyone in the public not to wear them because he was afraid the public would buy them all and the medical community wouldn't have enough. That is called lying to the public. By his own admission he was lying on 60 minutes.

I know he's your hero, but tough tits ... he lied. I'm not changing the definition of the word to make you feel better.

Now, I personally believe he was being honest in his 60 Minutes comments and that the government's scientific community subsequently decided it wanted everyone wearing masks to encourage a sense of panic and resulting obedience. But even if that is accurate, he still lied to the public (it's just that he's lying now and told the truth on 60 Minutes).

Dumber yet.

Fauci now says that when he made those comments on 60 Minutes, he believed mask wearing to be just as effective as he believes mask wearing to be now, but he told everyone in the public not to wear them because he was afraid the public would buy them all and the medical community wouldn't have enough. That is called lying to the public (on behalf of the government). By his own admission he was lying on 60 minutes.

Nope, still wrong. It's amazing how wrong you've been all along and continue to be. Congrats.

I had enough trouble motivating myself to post on the original C.E. board. But I eventually decided it was worth the sacrifice to combat the 'Zees nonsense. They were making my alma mater look so bad.
But I'm not paying to argue with those mamalukes.
You writing “so true” 39 times a week really took a lot of effort and really made a lot of difference.

What a sacrifice. Just an incredible Effort.

Last edited:
kyk1827
Read some of the books I recommended and try to educate yourself on what racism is. YOU are the problem, not the people who are experiencing racism in their daily lives. Read and try to understand what got us to where we are today, why police are killing innocent unarmed people, why there is mass incarceration of African American men and women for offenses that white Americans are given a slap on the wrist. I've had my eyes opened in the past several months. Try to open your heart and mind to what is really going in this country and where we came from. It's not a pretty picture. If you want to give up on Rutgers athletics over racism, that's your loss not theirs.
I’m not Kyk, but have read the books and also the books that debunk large chunks of the theories. Have you?

Reactions: bac2therac
I just don’t see it succeeding . They don’t like opposing views and there‘s only a few posters that consistently post against them and they don’t appear to want to pay to fight. I use to post new subjects on the CE board to keep it interesting but don’t care anymore. It’s going to end up like the other new CE board with nobody posting over there.
Who is “they” in “they don’t like opposing views”?

No, youre not. You hardly posted there and clearly have no idea wtf you're talking about. The problems were numerous and blatant to anyone who did and does. Making the board private and closed to outsiders/search engines solved the most immediate ones.
Completely incorrect.

That's mostly untrue. You need to have a conversation with John Otterstedt on this (I have), as he almost closed the CE board down here several times and not primarily because of left wingers complaining about the board (although that was a factor in response to the regularly inappropriate and worse posts by those on the far right) and he didn't close down the CE experiment on 247 due to left wingers complaining.
The 247 board closed down because it was a left though tunnel and couldn’t take getting challenged.

all I know is when I foolishly looked at the CE board it was a cesspool of insults and misinformation
Who complained to the mods to get rid of it is in dispute like everything else involved with the CE board as it was.
"He did it " !!!!! is the CE Board members cry when shutting it down is talked about.
The left claims the right whined and got it gone, the right claims the opposite.
As far as I'm concerned :
YOU BOTH DID IT and stop blaming the other.
There were conservative and liberal posters in the CE board whose skin wasn't as thick as they projected that whined to the mods when they felt other posters abused them or just tried to get another banned to shut them up.

You have a new CE board, don't ruin it like you did the last one.

edit: when the TKR CE board was eliminated many CE posters rushed over to TOS and started posting on their CE board.
Shortly after the TKR rowdies landed on that CE Board and started posting their misinformed hateful drivel the mods started asking them to behave, the mod asking was attacked as a liberal by the TKR refugees that sought asylum there .
After those ingrates refused to comply , the board was shut down.
Misinformed hateful drivel.

Interesting choice of words.

Is there a leadership mulligan allowed in Fauci’s case for a purposeful lie to preserve masks and prevent a hoarding stampede?

still wondering why the Politics, Current Events forum was closed during an election and a pandemic.

someone must have posted something Verizon didn't want discussed.

seems there's an obvious solution to getting politics off the football board.

I recall racists being responsible for PCE shutdown - along with some of the colorful replies to said racists. I sometimes miss the PCE board, but mostly glad the most egregious racists are gone. Good riddance.

I recall racists being responsible for PCE shutdown - along with some of the colorful replies to said racists. I sometimes miss the PCE board, but mostly glad the most egregious racists are gone. Good riddance.
Everyone is still there.

Actually, except one. Patient zero.

Reactions: koleszar
So much wrong in this post. We average 34K deaths from flu per year (from 2010-2018, the years we have final data on), not 60K, plus that number is estimated from epidemiological models that haven't proven to be all that accurate for COVID, but at least with COVID we have actual deaths to count, not modeled deaths and nobody other than tin foil hat hoaxers think those deaths are not from COVID. Also, COVID is not a microbe - it's a virus, which technically isn't even "alive."

And there are dozens of countries that have 1/50th to 1/100th or even less the death rate per capita that we have in the US. How? By preventing transmissions, via the kinds of interventions we've mostly ignored, such as testing early/aggressively and following that by tracing/isolating positives and contacts, along with distancing/masks, which is the only way to seriously reduce deaths (the graphic below is a month old, but it's still relevant, showing the countries with very low deaths per capita have very low cases per capita). The only thing your graphic shows is that much of the world sucked at reducing transmissions as much as the US did, including much of Europe (including Sweden, but not their similar Nordic neighbors) and most of South America.

MxzvHTB.png
Nope, still wrong with so many of your silly country chicomvirus comparisons to the U.S., while sweeping the massive NY/NJ/CT and other Dem-run state failures under the rug that skew the stats. It's amazing how wrong you've been all along and continue to be. Congrats.

Last edited:
So much wrong in this post. We average 34K deaths from flu per year (from 2010-2018, the years we have final data on), not 60K, plus that number is estimated from epidemiological models that haven't proven to be all that accurate for COVID, but at least with COVID we have actual deaths to count, not modeled deaths and nobody other than tin foil hat hoaxers think those deaths are not from COVID. Also, COVID is not a microbe - it's a virus, which technically isn't even "alive."
Do you need me to go find your post telling me that flu is more dangerous than covid and that we suffer 60K deaths a year? And, really, how many times must you be shown that this count of "covid deaths" is BS? We have people being counted that had symptoms.. not even a proof-positive test.. as well as people dying WITH covid.. they could be in for chronic kidney failure but once the hospital gives that symptoms of covid.. aka.. pneumonia.. that's it, their death is blamed on CoVid and if they were poor and couldn't pay the CoVid designation gets the hospital money.

We talk about not being able to trust numbers from many places in the world.. but we cannot trust our own numbers.

King Trump heading back to his throne. Great news!
:WooHoo:
Hasn't it dawned on you , yet, his throne is the WH toilet he tweets from and the reason he's being released from Walter Reed Hospital is the hospital staff treating him are sick of his constant whining about everything and begging the other patients to vote for him.

Now after using Walter Reed Hospital as his panic room, Trump can infect with Covid-19 the members of his White House Staff he didn't infect before he became terrified over his positive test and ran to the hospital like it was the White House basement bunker he uses when he gets scared.

:WooHoo:
Hasn't it dawned on you , yet, his throne is the WH toilet he tweets from and the reason he's being released from Walter Reed Hospital is the hospital staff treating him are sick of his constant whining about everything and begging the other patients to vote for him.

Now after using Walter Reed Hospital as his panic room, Trump can infect with Covid-19 the members of his White House Staff he didn't infect before he became terrified over his positive test and ran to the hospital like it was the White House basement bunker he uses when he gets scared.

Good one bro. You really killed that.

Nothing but a bunch of ZEROS in the death cat. and a few hospitalizations :WooHoo: . Great news for the people not living under their beds in fear .
Real case numbers are at most 50% of that, maybe as low as 10% given the high amplification cycle testing the US uses.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

On Thursday, the United States recorded 45,604 new coronavirus cases, according to a database maintained by The Times. If the rates of contagiousness in Massachusetts and New York were to apply nationwide, then perhaps only 4,500 of those people may actually need to isolate and submit to contact tracing.

One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus.

Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said.

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said.

A more reasonable cutoff would be 30 to 35, she added. Dr. Mina said he would set the figure at 30, or even less. Those changes would mean the amount of genetic material in a patient’s sample would have to be 100-fold to 1,000-fold that of the current standard for the test to return a positive result — at least, one worth acting on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

I was only looking for one school on that list...ours.
Did you find it? I did not. But you can find it.
3,207 tests since May 20. 4 positive tests. 2 positive student tests.

Rochester Institute of Technology, open since mid-August:
15,000 or so students on campus. 4,136 tests. 10 positive tests in total since August 19. No hospitalizations.

Seton Hall, open since July 9:
2,222 tests. 8 positive cases.

Quinnipiac University- 13,057 tests since August 5. 5 positive tests.

Gee, I wonder why the "news" does not report these results?

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Hopefully, he recovers quickly, but with what we know, he's nowhere near out of the woods yet and being just into a 5-day course of an IV drug, being put on an anti-inflammatory steroid usually reserved for people with lung issues, and having had two bouts of low blood oxygen levels, combined with this disease being incredibly unpredictable, it would be foolish, medically, to discharge him tomorrow. It's highly doubtful they do so, especially after admitting they were spinning the commentary yesterday to sound more upbeat.

Derek Lowe chimed in, today, saying much the same. Agreed that the Regeneron antibody cocktail was likely a smart move to reduce impact of the virus, even though we don't know that much about it yet (speculating that Regeneron probably knows more, but it's not public) and that early Remdesivir is also likely a smart move, as antivirals are usually best as antivirals before the viral infection goes too far. He also agreed that the early use of dexamethasone is quite possibly indicative of the Trump not being in as great a shape as his doctors are saying, since steroids usually are reserved for anti-inflammatory treatment of moderate to severely ill patients, especially those with lung function issues and possibly signs of the overactive inflammatory response known as the cytokine storm.

To assume that he's doing much better just because he went back to the WH is questionable, at best, especially given how he looked tonight (some shortness of breath) and simply given what we've seen in so many cases of elderly people that have taken numerous twists and turns with periods of improvement interspersed with periods of difficulty and that a decent percentage of these patients go on to become much more ill. Perhaps he truly is getting much better, but with the complete lack of vital sign data and transparency around his condition since day one from the doctors (who have been regularly misspeaking), confidence in that scenario is not high.

And, of course, coming back to the WH and taking off the mask and telling people to not be afraid of the virus (while exposing many others to it in his drive by stunt yesterday and being back in the WH now) certainly isn't what most were hoping to see, but it's no surprise, either. Doubling down on recklessness is not a good look.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/05/the-presidents-coronavirus-treatment

Derek Lowe chimed in, today, saying much the same. Agreed that the Regeneron antibody cocktail was likely a smart move to reduce impact of the virus, even though we don't know that much about it yet (speculating that Regeneron probably knows more, but it's not public) and that early Remdesivir is also likely a smart move, as antivirals are usually best as antivirals before the viral infection goes too far. He also agreed that the early use of dexamethasone is quite possibly indicative of the Trump not being in as great a shape as his doctors are saying, since steroids usually are reserved for anti-inflammatory treatment of moderate to severely ill patients, especially those with lung function issues and possibly signs of the overactive inflammatory response known as the cytokine storm.

To assume that he's doing much better just because he went back to the WH is questionable, at best, especially given how he looked tonight (some shortness of breath) and simply given what we've seen in so many cases of elderly people that have taken numerous twists and turns with periods of improvement interspersed with periods of difficulty and that a decent percentage of these patients go on to become much more ill. Perhaps he truly is getting much better, but with the complete lack of vital sign data and transparency around his condition since day one from the doctors (who have been regularly misspeaking), confidence in that scenario is not high.

And, of course, coming back to the WH and taking off the mask and telling people to not be afraid of the virus (while exposing many others to it in his drive by stunt yesterday and being back in the WH now) certainly isn't what most were hoping to see, but it's no surprise, either. Doubling down on recklessness is not a good look.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/05/the-presidents-coronavirus-treatment
yes.. I assumed that explained his comment about how he feels... they gave him everything his body was needing.. fluids, etc... got all levels perfect.. and since he only abuses food.. not alcohol or drugs.. his body responds like a champ. Maybe he'll have them check him out more often if he is really feeling that good.

Ex-Presidents tend to do pretty well, health-wise. Given Jimmy Carters family history.. he has to be getting some kind of special medical attention to have made it this far... God bless him.

Reactions: goru1869
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT