ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Patton update

I always wonder what would have happened in 2016 if we stayed in the multiple / pro offenses that Flood ran. We had two BIG WR’s returning and although Laviano didn’t have the big arm, he was able to get the ball downfield. We changed offenses and brought in some smaller quicker WRs to fit it but it didn’t fit Laviano or Patton and Agudosi for that matter. His body language was not terrible but I could see frustration mounting in Patton after he really came on in 2014 with Nova. Carroo was the ace but he was a solid 2 receiver. I think he was also pretty good in 2015 and then underutilized in 2016.

Please don’t start with the former HC and former OC bashing. That’s beyond old and was boring as soon as they were gone. But I will say changing Offensive philosophies probably hurt us as much or more than all of the arrests on the Defenaive side of the ball.

I always felt that the coaches who have the best chance to turnaround a program successfully will adapt to the talent they currently have in the program initially. This is not to say that you don't make any changes or try to install some of what you want to do down the road.

I always wonder what would have happened in 2016 if we stayed in the multiple / pro offenses that Flood ran. We had two BIG WR’s returning and although Laviano didn’t have the big arm, he was able to get the ball downfield. We changed offenses and brought in some smaller quicker WRs to fit it but it didn’t fit Laviano or Patton and Agudosi for that matter. His body language was not terrible but I could see frustration mounting in Patton after he really came on in 2014 with Nova. Carroo was the ace but he was a solid 2 receiver. I think he was also pretty good in 2015 and then underutilized in 2016.

Please don’t start with the former HC and former OC bashing. That’s beyond old and was boring as soon as they were gone. But I will say changing Offensive philosophies probably hurt us as much or more than all of the arrests on the Defenaive side of the ball.

The offense would have probably been better but I'm not sure by how much. We were still fairly deficient at FB and TE compared to Burton/ Kroft and FB especially is crucial in the Pro-Set.

Joe P.

Never put a round peg into a square hole. Fit the systems to your kids.
And the thing is, the transition is going to begin anyway with some guys leaving because they don't like the fit with the new staff. Why force it prematurely?

Realistically, how many recruiting cycles does it take to get close to implementing the systems you want to run? Probably at least 2 or 3. If you adapt to what you have and experience some success early on, it will buy you more goodwill with the fans and boosters.

Never put a round peg into a square hole. Fit the systems to your kids.

I’m not sure Gleeson has the pieces to do what he wants to do, namely OL. For Year 1, I’d prefer we run an offense slanted towards the prostyle. At least keep the scores as close as we can.

The Rutgers-Nebraska 2014 game was on the BTN very early this morning. Gary Nova was injured at the end of the first half, and Laviano was the QB for the second half of the game. In the first half, RU put up 7 points, and in the second half, RU put up 17 points.
In that game, Laviano had 5 rushes for 54 yards, with one run for 46 yards. He had two other runs for 9 yards and 8 yards. He seemed to have the ability to run. His 2016 performance was a head scratcher, but could be attributed to the boy wonder OC and bad OL performance?

Reactions: Scarlet83
The Rutgers-Nebraska 2014 game was on the BTN very early this morning. Gary Nova was injured at the end of the first half, and Laviano was the QB for the second half of the game. In the first half, RU put up 7 points, and in the second half, RU put up 17 points.
In that game, Laviano had 5 rushes for 54 yards, with one run for 46 yards. He had two other runs for 9 yards and 8 yards. He seemed to have the ability to run. His 2016 performance was a head scratcher, but could be attributed to the boy wonder OC and bad OL performance?
I don’t put too much stock into second half stats in a blowout loss but I thought he was a pretty good athlete. Watched MSU 2015 and he played very well. Carroo helped a lot though.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
I don’t put too much stock into second half stats in a blowout loss but I thought he was a pretty good athlete. Watched MSU 2015 and he played very well. Carroo helped a lot though.

It wasn’t a blowout loss. I was at this game. The game was competitive.

It wasn’t a blowout loss. I was at this game. The game was competitive.
I watched it. We played much better than that game in 2014. Down 28-7 and final 42-24 was not our best. Abdullah ran for 225 and was done in Q3.

ADVERTISEMENT