ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Katz loves us

I know people and the naysayers are nervous because Ron and Geo are gone but there is still a considerable bit of talent on this team. 20 might be high because of scoring issues but we will find ways to put the ball in the basket. Paul needs to find that consistency he had in our huge 4 game stretch for a longer part of season. Cliff continuing to develop his away from rim shot. Spencer coming in and replacing some 3's. Hyatt doing everything better offensively.

Reactions: MV9000
Outside of Paul, Cliff, and Caleb. The rest of these dudes are question marks. Even the Loyal transfer

I think Paul will really step up this year like he did for few games. He is capable and just needed to keep his composure...

I'm in sync with Andy and see us in Top 25 through out the season.

Mag, Rieber, Hyatt I think all improves big

Indiana seems to be a popular pick by media pundits for a top 4 finish in the Big Ten, and Katz has them #1 in the conference (#7 overall).

They'll be good, no doubt, but are they ready to go from no NCAA tournaments in five years, to a First Four appearance last year, to #1 in the Big Ten and top 10 overall?

I have serious doubts, but admittedly, just about every team in the Big Ten will be reloading this season, so who's to say Indiana -- which returns most of its key players, plus adds some blue chip recruits -- can't be top 4 at this point? It sure will be an interesting season, with NO consensus top 4 and lots of teams vying to move up in the pecking order.

Reactions: RUDead
20 to 40 is really about the same most seasons, but it is difficult to argue with a ranking at 20 for a couple of reasons.

A) RU has unique players, moreso than complete players. Cliff is wildly quick and can probably rack up another 80 dunks, which might have either been 1st or 2nd in all of CBB.....there's no Kofi Cockburn, Diabite at Michigan, Keegan Murray at Iowa, Liddell at Ohio State, Harrar at PSU.....Wahab wisely left Maryland and went back to Georgetown, where he's a better fit. Cliff could battle Edey at Purdue and put up big numbers.

B)Mulcahy could lead the league in assists, if Cam Spencer knocks down his share of 3s....we know Paul can fnd Cliff.

C) We have the defensive player of the B1G back in Caleb and he's not chasing 3 lottery picks in Jaden Ivey, Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray around.

D) The RAC is still a feared arena.

Katz back on the 🚌🚍

bus-school-bus.gif

It's impossible to take this guy seriously when he very obviously pumps up programs with coaches that are friendly to him. In no universe should Rutgers be a top 20 team when they lost their two best scorers from last season, which was not a top 25 team. This only sets expectations way too high and hurts Rutgers more than it helps.

I've been rewatching all the games and have seen that Cliff has a lot of different moves in the low post, which can be overlooked with everyone's emphasis on his dunking. His quickness and passing ability make me think that he needs to be the absolute focus in our offense. We don't have Geo or Ron as first and second options, so Cliff needs to be our first, second, and third option. Someone pass this on to Coach Pike, lol.

Any preseason prediction in June should be viewed with very little confidence. A couple weeks ago Katz didn't even have Rutgers in his top 45 ranking and now they are ranked number 20..

If Cliff can improve his little jump hook--off the glass and from baseline--and learns to feel the double and kick it out, we become a much better team.

20 to 40 is really about the same most seasons, but it is difficult to argue with a ranking at 20 for a couple of reasons.

A) RU has unique players, moreso than complete players. Cliff is wildly quick and can probably rack up another 80 dunks, which might have either been 1st or 2nd in all of CBB.....there's no Kofi Cockburn, Diabite at Michigan, Keegan Murray at Iowa, Liddell at Ohio State, Harrar at PSU.....Wahab wisely left Maryland and went back to Georgetown, where he's a better fit. Cliff could battle Edey at Purdue and put up big numbers.

B)Mulcahy could lead the league in assists, if Cam Spencer knocks down his share of 3s....we know Paul can fnd Cliff.

C) We have the defensive player of the B1G back in Caleb and he's not chasing 3 lottery picks in Jaden Ivey, Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray around.

Totally agree with your take on things except I think Paul did better than just those 4 games. I know he wasn't putting up 20, but his play ever since getting zeroed out in that Maryland game was the driving force behind the team.

I expect Mag to make a big leap, Hyatt - if you extrapolate what he did in his 10 minutes should really help out on the boards and hoping Spencer can have half the stats he had at Loyola.

It will def need to be a group effort to replace Ron and I don't think Geo is going to be as big a loss as people think with what is replacing him

Top 20 definitely seems high. Losing Harper is tough but I really expect Spencer to replace Geo. If Pike can get a serviceable backup 5 (easier said than done as proven last year), moving Dean to a stretch 4 can make a world of difference. A starting 5 of Cliff, Dean, Caleb, Spencer and Mulcahy could matchup with most teams. The bench, however, remains weak.

Reactions: bac2therac

All excellent points

Top 20 definitely seems high. Losing Harper is tough but I really expect Spencer to replace Geo. If Pike can get a serviceable backup 5 (easier said than done as proven last year), moving Dean to a stretch 4 can make a world of difference. A starting 5 of Cliff, Dean, Caleb, Spencer and Mulcahy could matchup with most teams. The bench, however, remains weak.
Simpson will be a pleasant surprise. The kid can ball and tends to like the limelight. He shows up BIG in BIG GAMES. Not sure about the others maybeHyatt relaxes and starts to play like a four star?

Reactions: Scarlet83
Big Ten is always overrated. I would like to see Big 10 underrated for a change this year.

It's impossible to take this guy seriously when he very obviously pumps up programs with coaches that are friendly to him. In no universe should Rutgers be a top 20 team when they lost their two best scorers from last season, which was not a top 25 team. This only sets expectations way too high and hurts Rutgers more than it helps.
I’m good with it coming from the press.
I actually think it’s good for our 3 returning starters to be highly regarded.
Don’t want Pike saying anything other than he likes the team and it works hard.

Let the media talk us up….good for energy around program

We were more of a top 25 team last year than we R a Top 20 coming in this year. Losing RHJ is the issue, Losing GB not so much. His stats are skewed and inconsistent game to game. Even being Top 40 and making the tourney again would be huge. Should be another fun team to watch and root for.
Pike needs to find whatever Caleb eats and drinks before tourney games and feed him all season long. He could be that scorer.

You also have to look at which players the other top 40 teams lost. I do think #20 is too generous, but we have 3 of the league’s best starters coming back, we added the leading scorer from the Patriot League, we have three other guys capable of earning starter’s minutes, and an incoming freshman who most feel will be an outstanding contributor. Still plenty to like.

Big Ten is always overrated. I would like to see Big 10 underrated for a change this year.
The Big Ten was literally overrated once (2021) and POSSIBLY twice (2022). The national media is simply clinging to this narrative for dear life, and fans are accepting it. It’s like the COVID cancellation made everyone think these last two seasons are like definitive for the rest of time.

I’ll agree I’d prefer a new-look Big Ten fly under the radar, though.

He most certainly was. I did not expect that run whatsoever after our absysmal start. Guy may be a prophet haha.

If the progression of our core and youth progresses who knows, Here’s to hoping!

People focusing only on losing RHJ and Geo but we return 3 All B1G honorable mention. More than any other team
Thank you.

Too often, some of the fans, if you call them that, always see things as half-empty. Although they say stars don't matter, they cling to them as a way to justify the quality of players on the team. If you recall, Cliff wasn't ready to start the season based on his freshman year. No Myles meant the team was going to stink, but making the tourney qualifies as a bad year for a team void of talent. 😁

Pike has a way of developing talent, and some non-believers should take a wait-and-see approach. IMO Rutgers will be no worse than last year's team. I say this because of what other B1G teams return and Pike's track record. The outside shooting should be fine if Spencer is the player advertised. Cliff's development should reach another level, and Dean is a threat that most people overlook. Simpson's ball handling skills are on par with Geo, so we should be fine. If there is an area of concern, it's frontcourt depth.

ADVERTISEMENT