ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Katz Way-Too-Early Big 10 Rankings

I'll have what Katz is smoking. 8th? If the season started today, our lineup would be:

G - Mulcahy
G - Miller/Simpson
SF - Mag
PF - Hyatt, Palmquist
C - Cliff, Reiber, Woolfork

That's a bottom 4 in the Big Ten lineup, as I'm not sure where the shooting is coming from other than Paul with his spot-up threes, and maybe 30% from Hyatt and Mag.

I'll have what Katz is smoking. 8th? If the season started today, our lineup would be:

G - Mulcahy
G - Miller/Simpson
SF - Mag
PF - Hyatt, Palmquist

That's a bottom 4 in the Big Ten lineup, as I'm not sure where the shooting is coming from other than Paul with his spot-up threes, and maybe 30% from Hyatt and Mag.
Hey Sherlock, Katz is obviously predicting next seasons results when the final rosters are set, not based on todays rosters. Every team has needs to fill right now.

My read is that Katz believes that RU will bring in the players for next season that will achieve the results he predicts.

Why is that concept lost on certain posters? Is there a density issue going on here?

Hey Sherlock, Katz is obviously predicting next seasons results when the final rosters are set, not based on todays rosters. Every team has needs to fill right now.

My read is that Katz believes that RU will bring in the players for next season that will achieve the results he predicts.

Why is that concept lost on certain posters? Is there a density issue going on here?
Yea its not like we are going to head into the season with this roster and 4 open scholarships

G - Mulcahy
G - Miller/Simpson
SF - Mag
PF - Hyatt, Palmquist

Every roster rn looks bottom 4 in the big ten. I think Katz is projecting we will at least fill in some of our spots with enough that our nucleus of Paul and Cliff puts us ahead of a team with no one of that caliber

Reactions: Knightmoves
This thread is f'n hysterical. First of all, the BTN tweet specifically notes that Katz's predictions are "way too early," so I don't know why anybody is getting too worked up about it. Secondly, Katz is closer and more involved with B1G basketball than any of the wonderful characters on this site. So how anybody can view his way too early prediction, based on what he knows as of April 13th, as anything but positive is just beyond me. We're relevant, we're taken seriously, we have a program to be proud of! Why keep fighting it? Embrace it!

This thread is f'n hysterical. First of all, the BTN tweet specifically notes that Katz's predictions are "way too early," so I don't know why anybody is getting too worked up about it. Secondly, Katz is closer and more involved with B1G basketball than any of the wonderful characters on this site. So how anybody can view his way too early prediction, based on what he knows as of April 13th, as anything but positive is just beyond me. We're relevant, we're taken seriously, we have a program to be proud of! Why keep fighting it? Embrace it!

the rule of this board has clearly become find a way to take offense with everything. I agree with the post quoted above. Enjoy this stuff!!

Except if you actually watch the video, he only mentions the current players.

But whatever, I’m not gonna be a Debbie Downer here. I realize this is just a fun power ranking made two weeks after the season ended. It is what it is, and that our roster will look different in two months.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Except if you actually watch the video, he only mentions the current players.

But whatever, I’m not gonna be a Debbie Downer here. I realize this is just a fun power ranking made two weeks after the season ended. It is what it is, and that our roster will look different in two months.
Lol what? You want him talking about players not on the roster? Giving hypothetical commits during a power ranking show? Of course he is going to talk about the players on the team come on man

One thing for sure is that lots of B1G teams are losing their top players. He has Purdue at 3 even though they are losing Ivey, Williams, Stepanovic and I think their other guard Hunter. Ohio St loses Liddell and perhaps their hotshot freshman. Iowa will be down Murray and Bohannon. Illinois could lose Cockburn in addition to Frazier, Williams and Curbelo. Of course I don't know what kind of recruiting classes these teams are bringing in but unless they are top notch it's hard to see the aformentioned clubs being near the level they were at last season. I forgot to add that Wisconsin will lose both Davis and Davidson. Yeah I would say this ranking is way, way too early. But hey if your bosses want to know what you're working on then I guess you need to produce content.

Last edited:

G - Mulcahy
G - Miller/Simpson
SF - Mag
PF - Hyatt, Palmquist

Obviously we’re going to get a guard that scores. Without question.

Reactions: Scangg
Lol what? You want him talking about players not on the roster? Giving hypothetical commits during a power ranking show? Of course he is going to talk about the players on the team come on man
Scangg, I was responding to the below post. It was Knightmoves who extrapolated that Katz was ASSUMING we'd land players in the portal, and he roasted me for my take that our "current" roster isn't anywhere near good enough for 8th place. So I simply reiterated that Katz was, indeed, only referring to current rosters, and I don't think our current roster is good enough for 8th place.

we were an inbounds pass away from his prediction being right on. ND ended up beating us in double OT, & did exactly what Katz predicted RU would do. Beat Alabama, & lose to Texas Tech in a rock fight..

I happen to think cliff is headed for a all big ten season next year

Supposed he is a 16-8 next year

It’s not far fetched to see some kids on our roster step up and fill the holes when it’s finally their turn

Maybe others see it …who have been to practice ….

Or maybe it’s just.a carelsss guess

Have some patience guys …I think we have a staff that knows what it is doing …..

Pretty sure he said RU would make a run in the tourney....how right was he.
I, for one, loved last year’s team and I could understand why Andy Katz did as well. Unfortunately, we lost a heartbreaker to a team that was on the brink of going to sweet 16. Let’s face it, there are a lot of good teams in tournament, and winning just one game is not a given.

With the right pieces , next year could resemble ‘78-79 season.. Cliff’s progress directly parallels that of James Bailey’s..He could be unstoppable w feeds from Paul, Simpson, & another guard from the portal..If Caleb stays, his defense is like Kelvin’s was..get a sharpshooter or two from the portal & we can be as good (or better) than last year’s team. Just different, as ‘79 was from ‘76…

With the right pieces , next year could resemble ‘78-79 season.. Cliff’s progress directly parallels that of James Bailey’s..He could be unstoppable w feeds from Paul, Simpson, & another guard from the portal..If Caleb stays, his defense is like Kelvin’s was..get a sharpshooter or two from the portal & we can be as good (or better) than last year’s team. Just different, as ‘79 was from ‘76…
Nice analogy. We find a Daryl Strickland and we're on our way!

I, for one, loved last year’s team and I could understand why Andy Katz did as well. Unfortunately, we lost a heartbreaker to a team that was on the brink of going to sweet 16. Let’s face it, there are a lot of good teams in tournament, and winning just one game is not a given.
The fact that he doesn’t understand that is disturbing.

Reactions: mugrat86
ADVERTISEMENT