ADVERTISEMENT

Another 5-7 bowl season???

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
According to Brett McMurphy, the projection is that there is the possibility of openings for five 5-7 teams going to bowl games this year. He still doesn't pick us to be one of the five.

Using Wilson’s ratings, I’m projecting there will be 79 bowl-eligible teams to fill 84 bowl spots. That means, five 5-7 teams would need a “bowl waiver” to participate in a bowl.
Excluding the 2020 pandemic season, there have never been more than three losing teams that played in a bowl game in one season. So, we’re on pace to have a record number of losing teams in bowl games. Based on the bowl system needing five 5-7 teams to fill the openings, I’m currently projecting those teams as Iowa, Kansas, Miami, Michigan State and Texas Tech.
As the bowls get closer, the NCAA will clarify exactly how it will determine the pecking order of 5-7 teams — it will most likely be based on the Academic Progress Rate (APR) rankings.

Reactions: biker7766
According to Brett McMurphy, the projection is that there is the possibility of openings for five 5-7 teams going to bowl games this year. He still doesn't pick us to be one of the five.

Using Wilson’s ratings, I’m projecting there will be 79 bowl-eligible teams to fill 84 bowl spots. That means, five 5-7 teams would need a “bowl waiver” to participate in a bowl.
Excluding the 2020 pandemic season, there have never been more than three losing teams that played in a bowl game in one season. So, we’re on pace to have a record number of losing teams in bowl games. Based on the bowl system needing five 5-7 teams to fill the openings, I’m currently projecting those teams as Iowa, Kansas, Miami, Michigan State and Texas Tech.
As the bowls get closer, the NCAA will clarify exactly how it will determine the pecking order of 5-7 teams — it will most likely be based on the Academic Progress Rate (APR) rankings.

If it's APR based how can he count RU out unless he projects a 4-8 season.

Reactions: biker7766
The rest of our games are tough
We really needed that Nebraska game
We may be stuck on 4

Reactions: miket007
Just a FYI according to CFN we were tied for #42 in July. Don't know when/if that's updated.

The Apr is such. Bs. Clemson and Alabama At the top lol . Professors saban and Dabo! Lots of SEC schools and UNC ahead of army . I mean cmon. How this ranking means anything to anyone is just ridiculous.

Reactions: miket007
I do not care if we go to a bowl at 5-7. The extra practice is worth it for our super young team.
I wonder how much that matters nowadays with the portal and roster turnover .
The off-season is so long with weight rooms , workouts and spring ball etc. . Plus under schiano 1.0, I am not sure it helped many years. We had very bad early seasons in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. Got our ass kicked on opening day a couple times . Ironically , 2011 wasn’t a bad start after not making a bowl in 2010

Reactions: PSU_Nut
The off-season is so long with weight rooms , workouts and spring ball etc. . Plus under schiano 1.0, I am not sure it helped many years. We had very bad early seasons in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. Got our ass kicked on opening day a couple times . Ironically , 2011 wasn’t a bad start after not making a bowl in 2010

IMHO it very much matters. Especially next off season when that bumper crop of highly rated OL have to get ready for serious minutes.

Reactions: Kbee3
IMHO it very much matters. Especially next off season when that bumper crop of highly rated OL have to get ready for serious minutes.
Yeah but the evidence I showed it didn’t mAtter much under schiano 1.0 .

Definitely some interesting data points potentially there.

Reactions: Plum Street
Just a FYI according to CFN we were tied for #42 in July. Don't know when/if that's updated.

You have to be kidding me with this ranking… Ole Miss #1? Meanwhile on state education rankings Mississippi is #51 out of 50 … Alabama and Clemson also the top 3? Lol. And RU and UNC tied, aka U of No Classes … Miami up there too, joke

You have to be kidding me with this ranking… Ole Miss #1? Meanwhile on state education rankings Mississippi is #51 out of 50 … Alabama and Clemson also the top 3? Lol. And RU and UNC tied, aka U of No Classes … Miami up there too, joke
It’s a joke and shouldn’t matter for anything. Alabama’s and Clemson’s football players aren’t that much smarter than ours : they’re just better at football

Reactions: bac2therac
It’s a joke and shouldn’t matter for anything. Alabama’s and Clemson’s football players aren’t that much smarter than ours : they’re just better at football

Or better a scheduling gut classes.

You have to wonder if this APR report is accurate.
I also feel we have some winnable games left.
Starting with Minnesota.
Between the opposing teams injuries and the development of our players. We have a better chance than we thought we would going into the season.

I don’t like being 5-7 and going to a bowl game . Shouldn’t happen . No excuse why we can’t win 2 more
If 5-7 and bowl invite comes, take it.
But less than 6-6 should never get an invite for any program.
I beleive cutting down the number of bowl games would be better than granting bowl eligibility to losing teams.

I don’t like being 5-7 and going to a bowl game . Shouldn’t happen . No excuse why we can’t win 2 more
Actually, no excuse we lost the two that we did. There most likely will be a good excuse not to win 2 more, we will not be favored in any of them and most likely by double digits.
I do not care if we go to a bowl at 5-7. The extra practice is worth it for our super young team.
This- that time is so important- so is playing in the game. And anyone that has gone to a bowl game as a player- it makes all the hard work worth it. Even if you are 5-7...It gets them so much more pumped for the off season

Reactions: miket007 and TRU2RU
APR measures the extent to which the school's student-athletes are on track to graduate. Can it be manipulated? Absolutely. Is it manipulated? Yeah, probably. To what extent? Who knows.

I do know this. In those years when we were at or near the top in APR, we trumpeted the hell out of that accomplishment. It's a tad duplicitous to suggest that it is meaningless now.

By the next year, literally nobody remembers that we went 5-7 .
All anyone remembers is "Rutgers went to a bowl."

There is zero reason not to accept a bowl bid.

Reactions: ScarletDave
NIL will kill them

NIL will not kill them..they are way ahead of RU on NIL on all sports.....see below for one instance...

NIL collective, has agreed to terms with the Michigan State women’s soccer and men’s and women’s golf teams. The deals call for each student-athlete to receive $2,500 in January. Another $5,000 will be provided for the 2023-24 academic year next fall. In total, the deal will total $382,500 and be distributed to 41 Michigan State athletes.

UMD feels just like Nebraska, Iowa and MSU … on paper have a chance … just expecting Rutgers to Rutgers and be another could’ve should’ve.

Well I think a 1-11 team beat Syracuse one year do you never know if PSU plays in a funk, has a key player hurt, or RU has that one magical game.

With a record like 2-40 all-time vs PSU don’t expect it.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Well I think a 1-11 team beat Syracuse one year do you never know if PSU plays in a funk, has a key player hurt, or RU has that one magical game.

With a record like 2-40 all-time vs PSU don’t expect it.
Just based on psu being up 27-0 at halftime on them, I think our chances are better vs maryland

ADVERTISEMENT