ADVERTISEMENT

Another non-conference game added

I understand the non-con sked is plenty ambitious now but I still wish these filled games wouldn’t be against sub-300 teams. We’ll get dinged for that. The Black Bears finished 318 in the NET.

I wonder if Pikiell felt the Caldwell game was beneficial in some meaningful way and wanted another absolute patsy for the game right after Christmas and before conference play. But this year at least it'll count in the W column.

I wonder if Pikiell felt the Caldwell game was beneficial in some meaningful way and wanted another absolute patsy for the game right after Christmas and before conference play. But this year at least it'll count in the W column.
Yes this exactly. Alabama plays The Citadel and College of Charleston every year. It’s formulaic. If not for the Caldwell game last year who knows where JYs confidence would have been. That game launched the rest of his season, and we needed it badly after a bit of a slide in the weeks before

Yes this exactly. Alabama plays The Citadel and College of Charleston every year. It’s formulaic. If not for the Caldwell game last year who knows where JYs confidence would have been. That game launched the rest of his season, and we needed it badly after a bit of a slide in the weeks before
Don’t put College of Charleston in the Cupcake category. John Kresse, Tom Herrion, and Bobby Cremins would be upset. I believe Tom Herrion, during his tenure at College of Charleston, turned down a Rutgers head coach offer.
In 2012, ESPN ranked Charleston as the 73rd best college basketball program in the previous 50 years, which was the highest ranking of all Division I teams in the state of South Carolina.

We're already playing Baylor who is a preseason top 5 team, plus we'll probably get tournament teams or close to it in both the ACC Challenge and Gavit Games. Not sure if I'm out of the loop but I assume we're still competing in both of those competitions this year.

Everyone plays at least a few Maine type games per year. It's not a big deal to play a few cupcakes given the fact that our overall schedule is going to be very difficult.

I think that makes sense. Winter break time is probably the biggest spot for a let down game the entire season, especially if this is the first game after Seton Hall. If we're going to play a few cupcakes might as well make it around Christmas.

We're already playing Baylor who is a preseason top 5 team, plus we'll probably get tournament teams or close to it in both the ACC Challenge and Gavit Games. Not sure if I'm out of the loop but I assume we're still competing in both of those competitions this year.

Everyone plays at least a few Maine type games per year. It's not a big deal to play a few cupcakes given the fact that our overall schedule is going to be very difficult.

Well, the issue is in playing Maine vs. playing a team like North Florida. Both should be easy wins but beating teams who compete to win the tiny conferences (like UNF) helps your NET numbers a lot more than beating the bottom of the barrel teams in tiny conferences (like Maine).

On first glance it doesn't seem to matter. Maine or North Florida, who cares right? But it does have ramifications.

Well, the issue is in playing Maine vs. playing a team like North Florida. Both should be easy wins but beating teams who compete to win the tiny conferences (like UNF) helps your NET numbers a lot more than beating the bottom of the barrel teams in tiny conferences (like Maine).

On first glance it doesn't seem to matter. Maine or North Florida, who cares right? But it does have ramifications.

True--but who knows what the business side looks like too with everything going on right now. If Maine wants $20k less for the game than North Florida, then it's tougher to justify taking on North Florida.

Surprised that North Florida still doesn’t have a football program, especially with a huge stadium in Jacksonville where the London Jaguars play.

It was inevitable that there would be at least one more cupcake added to the schedule. We already have:

- Baylor (preseason top 5) at neutral site MSG - quad 1
- SHU on the road - probably quad 1
- UMass on the road - probably quad 2
- ACC team (probably at home), and the talk has been Syracuse or ND -- likely a quad 2
- BE team (Gavitt Games) - the talk has been Providence or Villanova -- another quad 1/2 game

Based on the above, we SHOULD be playing five or six patsies in the rest of the OOC games.

I think this was very smart. A game between christmas and New Year's we have often struggled with such as Stony Brook and others. a game also on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving we have also struggled as well. I like playing a D-1 Maine on December 29.

I think this was very smart. A game between christmas and New Year's we have often struggled with such as Stony Brook and others. a game also on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving we have also struggled as well. I like playing a D-1 Maine on December 29.
Me too.

Schedule is pretty much set. Here are known games. Maybe one more game that we do not know.
RAC round robin
Miami Ohio
Holy Cross
Central Conn. St

Merrimack
Maine
At UMASS
at Seton Hall
Baylor at MSG

Gavitt games Prov. Or Nova
ACC challenge (should be at RAC) ND or Cuse

9 big ten games at RAC
MSU at MSG
10 Big ten road games

Reactions: BillyC80
Maybe he's giving his Senior captain player from New Hampshire a chance to beat up his neighbor? (wink and lol).
This is probably a joke but maybe you’re onto something. It’s widely known that Geo was ranked super low like in the 400s out of HS, I wonder if he had interest in Maine but they never offered. Pike is known to schedule like this in the past

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This is probably a joke but maybe you’re onto something. It’s widely known that Geo was ranked super low like in the 400s out of HS, I wonder if he had interest in Maine but they never offered. Pike is known to schedule like this in the past
A lot of coaches try to do this too. Sometimes it works, sometimes because of other scheduling commitments it doesn’t/can’t.

Does make sense in that Syracuse with virus does not have to travel far.

Some thoughts on Cuse as ACC match
Fansided The Loud House
Syracuse Basketball: ACC-Big Ten Challenge match-ups remain a mystery
Scroll down to last three paragraphs - good stuff
I like the part in the article when it said:

The final team on the list might be the most intriguing one. Former Big East rival Rutgers. Neither team has played each other since 2013. Fortunes are a bit different for these programs right now as Rutgers is the team that Goodman ranks in the top 25, ranked 14th in fact, while Syracuse did not make his top 50...

But what might be best for the Orange is someone like Northwestern or Nebraska. While neither game is impressive it could be their best shot for a win against another Power-5 school. Rutgers and Iowa are set up to be towards the top of one of the best conferences in the country. Syracuse, especially early in the season, would not be set up for success seeing either of those teams on the road.

So will Syracuse play a top Big Ten tier team because of their name recognition? Or will they play a team that is a little more their speed this season? Only time will tell.

Reactions: shields
I would love to see SU visit the RAC for the B1G-ACC challenge, and would also like to see Georgetown visit the RAC for the B1G-BE challenge, since we are due a home game in that challenge as well.

I know that Boeheim hated playing at the RAC. Can't believe he's still at SU, not that he would ever go anywhere else, but that he hasn't retired already. I believe he must be about 75 or so by now if he played in the backcourt with Dave Bing.

I also would love Syracuse at the RAC.

The last schedule I saw for RU OOC had us playing New Hampshire at home and Maine was not listed. Has something changed with the Maine game which was supposedly for Dec 29? If both are on the schedule than I guess we will have 11 OOC games and 31 games overall.

Reactions: shields
I like playing Maine. It gives our Freshmen a chance to show what they've got when the game is over before the second half begins...

Oh my.. Boeheim gets one more visit to the RAC.. I hope. That would be fantastic!

I may have to spare a prayer from more important things for this one. Sorry world peace.. you have to take the bench for a moment.

Oh my.. Boeheim gets one more visit to the RAC.. I hope. That would be fantastic!

I may have to spare a prayer from more important things for this one. Sorry world peace.. you have to take the bench for a moment.

Cuse used to draw big at the RAC, especially in the 100 sections.

A win vs Cuse in front of their fans at the RAC would be satisfying.

Food for thought....
Caldwell game had a lot of importance in RUTGERS season.

It was Jacob Young’s turning point in the season.

We will never know what would have happened to Jacob Young’s season if there was no Caldwell

https://scarletknights.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/caldwell/boxscore/8271

FIG, I seem to recall you being very against us playing Caldwell. If I'm mis-remembering, I apologize, but if I'm right, have you changed your thought process on that game?

1. I don’t think I was strongly against playing Caldwell. I didn’t go to the game though so I think it is the only game I voluntarily missed

2. Even if I was against the game there is nothing wrong pointing out that perhaps it played a huge role in Young’s turn around.

1. I don’t think I was strongly against playing Caldwell. I didn’t go to the game though so I think it is the only game I voluntarily missed

2. Even if I was against the game there is nothing wrong pointing out that perhaps it played a huge role in Young’s turn around.

There were so many wrong takes about scheduling Caldwell coming off of the holiday break and it turned into the best way to play a game, after having kids return from home and time with their families.

In regard to Jacob Young, I think his progress from Caldwell through the end of the year, also should eliminate the notion that "RU doesn't do well with transfers".....there are too many hot takes that just turn out to be wrong in general.

Reactions: Groz
I agree Hawk. There was a huge uproar when we scheduled Caldwell and it turned out just fine. Jacob was such a huge asset going forward after that game. THis coming season we were notified we would play Maine on 12/29 than we didn't see them on the schedule and New Hampshire was listed. Now we have no idea what our schedule will be and if there even will be a season. I certainly hope things can improve and there is still a season even if there are few fans or no fans attending.

There were so many wrong takes about scheduling Caldwell coming off of the holiday break and it turned into the best way to play a game, after having kids return from home and time with their families.

In regard to Jacob Young, I think his progress from Caldwell through the end of the year, also should eliminate the notion that "RU doesn't do well with transfers".....there are too many hot takes that just turn out to be wrong in general.

I wouldn't call it a bad take for a fan to be upset they are paying for a game against a non D1 opponent.

Reactions: Local Shill
Cuse used to draw big at the RAC, especially in the 100 sections.

A win vs Cuse in front of their fans at the RAC would be satisfying.
we had a friend who was a cuse fan.. he was 0-3 in games (BBALL and football) where we got him to sit with us.. then refused ticket offers since... a true fan.. but we always make a show of inviting him... it is pretty funny

ADVERTISEMENT