ADVERTISEMENT

Another Schiano Thread (yes, there's mutual interest according to my sources)...

Tell that to Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll and Vince Lombardi, who actually mowed the grass to his liking in Green Bay.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Rutgers36
Tell that to Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll and Vince Lombardi, who actually mowed the grass to his liking in Green Bay.
I'm all for that as long as he takes care OF job number 1 , 2, and 3 first.

(and please tell me HE wasn't the guy making them plow that field vs. WVU during the snow storm...:cry: :)

It sounds good that every sport at Rutgers dies on the vine?

Odd position to take.

No he didn't. Not even close. He put his plan together what was needed for football and let Mulcahy and Pernetti ran Athletics. You are so far off base.

I would agree, ultimately they are to blame for allowing it to happen. But he ran roughshod over the department.

Reactions: MoobyCow
How is Hobbs not a fan of Schiano?? Have they ever even met?? The shit some of you make to support your agenda.
No they dont know eachother and I am making this up to support my agenda that means absolutely nothing in terms of who get hired.

One major problem with this which is conspicuously absent from your thread. Hobbs view of Schiano and Vice versa. By all accounts, the perceptions of each by the other being the biggest impediments to getting the deal done.

I did offer this: "Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach." The implication, based on what I've read here is that there could be an issue - however, I haven't heard anything from either Hobbs or Schiano about whether there's actually an issue. It's obviously an important element, but I simply don't know anything about it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If Schiano was such a good coach. Why didn't he get another job after Ohio State, huh?? What....never mind.

How is Hobbs not a fan of Schiano?? Have they ever even met?? The shit some of you make to support your agenda.

Hobbs is probably the least egotistical guy I have ever met in a position of power such as the one he is in.

The stories that people run with here without any first hand knowledge is astounding.

Jersey gossiping is a pastime.

Let me first say that I have no idea what Pat thinks or how he feels abut Schiano. However, I could very well see him being hesitant to bring him back just on the say-so of G Brown and others. McNulty's second tour of duty didn't work out so well.

Edit: Also, Pat's the one that has to make the hire and has to face the consequences. It's his job on the line if Schiano fails.

If Schiano was such a good coach. Why didn't he get another job after Ohio State, huh?? What....never mind.
So I guess you don't remember what happened down in Knoxville, Tenn.?

Micromanaging doesn't work in business and it doesn't work in sports. All it does is demoralize those who work for the micromanager. I'm worried if Schiano hasn't changed about that.
No assistant coach worth having will tolerate being micromanaged for long. Conversely, if an assistant coach cannot perform to expectations without micromanaging, that coach should be replaced.

That had zero to do with Schiano

It was more the AD's, but make no mistake. Schiano ran the dept. when he was there.

He won't have that luxury this time. Not in a fully formed department in the B1G anyway.

We need a football coach. If that isn't him, find out who is.

It was more the AD's, but make no mistake. Schiano ran the dept. when he was there.

He won't have that luxury this time. Not in a fully formed department in the B1G anyway.

We need a football coach. If that isn't him, find out who is.
I personally know Bob Mulcahy and Tim Pernetti. You couldn't be farther from the truth. Both men like Schiano very much but both wouldn't let him take over anything but football. Schiano didn't want to run the Department at all. Didn't care too.

Reactions: ghr and rutgers48
Hobbs is not a fan of Schiano at all and does not want to hire him, but the donors are the people with the real power here and if they chose Schiano its going to be Schiano.
Why not and how do you know? I think Hobbs should be a fan of whomever has the necessary skills for this project and right now I’m pulling for GS. You can assume that any head coach who is up for this gig is going to have an ego, want to do it his way, and be in total control of his program. If Hobbs can’t handle that he needs to take this program down 1AA

So do I. And I know Pat too.

Pat won't allow what the other two did. He has a much more holistic approach to the dept.

We need a football coach, not a visionary.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I like this post.

Considering that Rome is burning, I find it hard to believe that Hobbs will be able to find a better choice than Schiano.

Unless you are Urban Meyer status, this is a rebuilding nightmare for any incoming coach...especially if you do not have New Jersey ties.

Schiano can build immediate excitement for both fans and recruits (especially graduate transfers from big player stockpile schools like Alabama, MIchigan, and Ohio State that have something to prove. See Schiano players in the NFL!

Like, do you really care as a fan if he’s a control freak? Check out his record for his last few years at RU. He was onto big big things, but he got an offer that was hard to pass up (ok, ok that he couldn’t refuse). He belongs here at RU. I have no doubt whatsoever that he will do a bang up job and he’ll be here for a long time.

I did offer this: "Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach." The implication, based on what I've read here is that there could be an issue - however, I haven't heard anything from either Hobbs or Schiano about whether there's actually an issue. It's obviously an important element, but I simply don't know anything about it.

Hobbs should have his tail between his legs after his bluster about Ash, the contract and bring him back a 4th year. He needs to listen to the people paying not his ego

I like this post.

Considering that Rome is burning, I find it hard to believe that Hobbs will be able to find a better choice than Schiano.

Unless you are Urban Meyer status, this is a rebuilding nightmare for any incoming coach...especially if you do not have New Jersey ties.

Schiano can build immediate excitement for both fans and recruits (especially graduate transfers from big player stockpile schools like Alabama, MIchigan, and Ohio State that have something to prove. See Schiano players in the NFL!

exactly...its as if half our fanbase is living in a fantasy land where Rutgers is well positioned for a coach to succeed. Its one top 5 the toughest jobs in college football. We have a segment of fans who continually overrate our place at the table..remember when they said we were at the level or better than Indiana or Maryland..newsflash..we are not...we are the lowest in the Big 10 and only Illinois is in our vicinity. A midwestern MAC coach has zero idea what he is getting into by coming here. Greg knows and he knows, this is such a non brainer

There are long lists of pros and cons for me with Schiano. For the other candidates, I don't really have much of a list on either side.

On balance, I think Schiano would be a large step up from Ash and a step up from what we had with Flood - but I don't see him repeating the success he had here from 2006-11. Does that mean consistent bowl seasons? I don't know - I think he's at least got a fair shot at getting us back to .500 in a few years.

I posted a couple of months ago about there being mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, should Ash falter further and be fired. Nothing with respect to that statement has changed, as there's still strong mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, according to my sources. Doesn't mean he'll be hired, but he's absolutely a candidate.

With regard to Greg's interest, the source I've used over the past ~20 years has confirmed that Greg is quite interested in the position. Like any source, it's possible his info is wrong (even though it's first hand, but maybe Greg is just being cagey), but this source is very good friends with Greg from way back in their playing days together at Bucknell and was right when it came to Greg turning down Miami and Michigan.

Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach.

I wasn't intending to rehash my thoughts on why I think Greg is a top choice, but I will repost a few high level points on that (which I just said in another thread on Greg).

Most intelligent people will look at Greg's record and evaluate his 2005-2011 run, after rebuilding the program from the abyss (arguably a worse one than we're in now, since we had no program/facilities, like we do now), where we went 56-33/25-24 and won 5 of 6 bowl games played in 7 years. Including one magical season where we finished #12 in the country and one tragic one, where we went 4-8.

No, we didn't win a BE championship or beat WVU, but we were always in the hunt (in a BE that had slightly better Sagarin ratings than the B1G back then, over those years), but Greg built a good to very good program where there was nothing before, primarily due to his attention to detail, passion, recruiting prowess and ability to spot and develop underappreciated talent. His accomplishments were directly responsible for us getting the new stadium, better facilities, achieving a great APR, and eventually getting the B1G invite.

Lastly, I also think that many of the criticisms of Schiano (control freak, inability to delegate, overly harsh/demanding, etc.) have some validity and Schiano actually agreed with much of the criticism in the Thamel article in SI that came out after Schiano was fired from TB. In that article Schiano really showed some great self-assessment and introspection in sharing some of the things he didn't do well at in the NFL and in college and how his next head coaching gig would incorporate some changes, including a bunch of things he observed in his year after TB, visiting other teams.

Many of the things he discussed, if Greg addresses them as well as he articulated them, would likely address the concerns many have, IMO. Plus, he doesn't have to build the foundation of a program any more (facilities, stadium and academic support are all in place, although obviously facilities can't remain stagnant) and should be able to focus on recruiting and coaching talent.

The one thing I do wonder about is whether anyone has done an assessment of how much he changed his approach at OSU or if that isn't really a valid thing to assess, since he wasn't the head coach and had to defer to Meyer in many things. If we could truly have a "new and improved" Schiano, who was a bit less of an overly demanding micromanager (including actually trusting an OC), who also gave more freedom to his players and wasn't a jerk to people in the athletic department (and even NFL scouts), while still retaining his passion for recruiting, discipline and coaching/developing talent, then I think he'd very likely be the best choice.

Even getting the old Greg back might still be the best choice amongst the candidates we hear about, but I love the idea of a better version of Schiano. Perhaps we can do better than Greg, but we're more likely to do worse with most of the names being bandied about and I'd rather go with what we know than an unknown (unless we're talking crazy good candidates like Meyer, who I assume is not interested). We'll see, I guess.

https://www.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off
I don't think the boosters should have any say, and they shouldn't be listened to, unless it's all about the money, which it
should not be.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Like, do you really care as a fan if he’s a control freak? Check out his record for his last few years at RU. He was onto big big things, but he got an offer that was hard to pass up (ok, ok that he couldn’t refuse). He belongs here at RU. I have no doubt whatsoever that he will do a bang up job and he’ll be here for a long time.

During the last 4 seasons he was hanging around Piscataway RU's Big East Conference record was 13-15.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Says a university professor?

You really could not be more wrong. See my thread about the type of person/employee who the frequent complainers about micromanaging.

I have first-hand experience with micromanagers, both inside and outside academe. They are generally impossible to reason with even when they are screwing up. They think they're right all the time, even about things they know nothing about.

After Tennessee, Greg is damaged goods, and right now, so are we. For better or worse, we are a pretty good match for one another right now.

As for micromanaging... Unless we are willing to pay for coordinators with experience at this level, I’d expect micromanaging. If we hire the two Camps, as coordinators I doubt we’ll see much delegation.

have first-hand experience with micromanagers, both inside and outside academe. They are generally impossible to reason with even when they are screwing up. They think they're right all the time, even about things they know nothing about.

Jerks are bad. Micromanagers are not, and in many organizations, speaking from experience, micromanaging is the only way to insure success.

From many years of experience in seeing the types of workers who complain about micromanaging, it is almost without fail those that do not want their work product to meet the light of day. The thorough, the high achiever, the competent all welcome micromanaging because it brings to the fore their work product, and exposes their excellence. Many don’t want the exposure to hit their work.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you use the term micromanager and jerk interchangeably, I could see how you come to that conclusion. But if you separate the term from whatever preconceived notion or lack of oversight that you and others may desire, you’ll see that it is just a means of thoroughness and competence, especially when surrounded by either inexperienced or less than fully skilled employees .

And boy does the Rutgers football program need all of that micromanaging and more at this point in time.

The idea of a hands off head coach it’s quite the scary proposition. I would posit that the job at this point absolutely without reservation requires a significant micromanager.

Reactions: ATIOH
After Tennessee, Greg is damaged goods, and right now, so are we. For better or worse, we are a pretty good match for one another right now.

As for micromanaging... Unless we are willing to pay for coordinators with experience at this level, I’d expect micromanaging. If we hire the two Camps, as coordinators I doubt we’ll see much delegation.
If Schiano is hired and that's a mighty big if:
he better just look out after the D and let the OC handle everything offense

If the Camps are Coordinators , Nuzio needs to prove this year he can handle the position.
Don't want another Boy Wonder mess.
But he has the rest of this season to prove he can do it.

Anthony can move over from his Wolverine LB coach spot and be the DC with Schiano making sure it's up to par

Reactions: biker7766
I don't think the boosters should have any say, and they shouldn't be listened to, unless it's all about the money, which it
should not be.

What world do you live in? It’s all about the boosters at every school and especially at big time football and basketball schools. We need more boosters!

I have no doubt that Schiano would get us back to respectability, but once he plateaus he will be impossible to remove for the next coach to take us to the next level.
After watching this train wreck of a program who would worry about post respectability longevity - just weird.

Don’t care if he’s a micromanager. Just wanna see a competitive RU team on the field again, with all the good vibes, anticipation and pride that comes with it.

Don’t care if he’s a micromanager. Just wanna see a competitive RU team on the field again, with all the good vibes, anticipation and pride that comes with it.
Dead on! Anyone on this board who diminishes the possibility of a Schiano hire because he may not be able to get us to the level of OSU is totally clueless - not unexpected from the dopes posting here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT