ADVERTISEMENT

Another week, more shake-ups in the B1G

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
The groupings in the B1G have changed once again. Purdue has the best record, but they may not be superior to the rest of the conference. Before anyone gets upset, being superior and winning the conference are two different things. Purdue is finding ways to win and give them credit, but most B1G games can go either way. With that said, here's how the B1G looks at this moment.
Snapshot of the B1G mid-January

Group one:
Purdue
Rutgers
Michigan State

Group two, but moving into group one:
Michigan
Illinois
Iowa

Group three:
Northwestern
Penn State
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Indiana

Group four:
Nebraska
Minnesota

There will continue to be movement between groups because of the competitiveness of the B1G.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletDave
You forgot Maryland.
Still a tad too early to judge but I’d group it like this for the time being:
Tier 1
Purdue
Rutgers

Tier 2
Northwestern
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan State
Michigan
Wisconsin

Tier 3
Psu (but I think they’re moving up and really hope we beat them next Tuesday!)
Maryland
Osu
Indiana

Tier 4
Nebraska (showing signs of real life this year)

Tier 5
Minnesota (but hey nice win at osu!)

Reactions: RCBeta79
The groupings in the B1G have changed once again. Purdue has the best record, but they may not be superior to the rest of the conference. Before anyone gets upset, being superior and winning the conference are two different things. Purdue is finding ways to win and give them credit, but most B1G games can go either way. With that said, here's how the B1G looks at this moment.

Group one:
Purdue
Rutgers
Michigan State

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa

Group three:
Northwestern
Penn State
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Indiana

Group four:
Nebraska
Minnesota

There will continue to be movement between groups because of the competitiveness of the B1G.
I see you have kicked Maryland out of the B1G altogether 🤣

I did notice that Penn State, while the oldest team age wise in B10, it is really two- dimensional. Pinckett and Funk do all the scoring. Caleb and Mag, can they shut them down?

Group one:
Purdue
Rutgers
Michigan State

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa

Group three:
Northwestern
Penn State
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Indiana

Group four:
Nebraska
Minnesota

I think we match up better with your Group 1 schools than the Group 2 contingent. Also think PSU is going to be a very tough out this year.

I did notice that Penn State, while the oldest team age wise in B10, it is really two- dimensional. Pinckett and Funk do all the scoring. Caleb and Mag, can they shut them down?
I guess that’s the answer. Dread isn’t bad either but they don’t get anything from bigs. Wonder if they could stop Cliff or Paul? Do think they are way overachieving and don’t want to get into a shooting match with him. Last few years they have been a tough out for us. The age thing is a nice bonus for them.

I noticed that too but Kansas State?
Kansas State has had just about every single thing work in their favor.

1. Their big transfer who collapsed on the court two years ago is not only perfectly healthy but is just as good as he was back then.

2. Their JUCO transfer is playing to like the 95th percentile outcome of a JUCO transfer.

3. Their remaining PG on the roster has suddenly taken a massive leap as a 5th year senior.

4. They're 4-0 in overtime games

Things COULD work out for Penn State like that but they have much less basketball tradition than Kansas State and will probably be a less appealing transfer destination.

Reactions: G- RUnit

Group one:
Purdue
Rutgers
Michigan State

Michigan
Illinois
Iowa

Group three:
Northwestern
Penn State
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Indiana

Group four:
Nebraska
Minnesota

The thing about Purdue is thus far outside of Rutgers no team is daring or willing to challenge Edey. Case in point Monday's game v MSU. Sissoko (MSU starting Center) went 0-0 from the floor and 0-0 from the line. Most teams don't have a Center even trying to challenge Edey. I think an argument can be made that Edey's ability to virtually eliminate attempts and makes in the paint makes Purdue borderline "superior".

here is mine

Purdue

Rutgers

Illinois
Iowa
Michigan State

Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio State

Indiana
Maryland
Penn State
Northwestern

Nebraska

Minnesota
The disputed loss to Ohio State will impact the final ranking of Rutgers .There is plenty of parity which will be shown with the numbr of teams who will have at least 8 league losses.The teams that I fear the most are Iowa and Michigan because they consistently score over 70 points and have shooters at every position.

Michigan always plays us tough. Just read the Andy Katz write up. They have a fairly ez schedule and Purdue at home. They could really go on a run. Still waiting for a comical Howard implosion.

It looks like Ohio State belongs in group four with Minnesota and Nebraska. What gets me is how the pundits continue to push the idea Ohio State is still the second-best team in the B1G behind Purdue. Some B1G talking heads doubled down after OSU lost to Rutgers and said OSU would regroup and make a run. Well, what do they say now after losing to Nebraska?

It looks like Ohio State belongs in group four with Minnesota and Nebraska. What gets me is how the pundits continue to push the idea Ohio State is still the second-best team in the B1G behind Purdue. Some B1G talking heads doubled down after OSU lost to Rutgers and said OSU would regroup and make a run. Well, what do they say now after losing to Nebraska?
I actually wouldn’t mind if OSU gets hot now. We’ve played them twice already. Go on a run Bucks, make us look better.

Anyone watching all these games? Most of these teams stink. There’s a clear distinction of good basketball teams and Rutgers is one of them. Title in sight

ADVERTISEMENT