ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Anthony Ashnault Resigns as Rutgers Wrestling Assistant Coach

Seabass just signed as a resident athlete and is definitely still focusing on his senior freestyle career. I wonder if AA stays with the SKWC as a resident athlete as well with Martin supposedly stepping away. AA probably still has that itch to compete so if he wants to still pursue that, now is the time.

With that being said, I would like to see a proven assistant in the upper weights. That would be ideal.

What do folks make of this? Seems rather surprising - no?
Cant say that I am surprised, because a ton of athletes in all sports seem to compete longer than they should. I thought AA was ready to be a full time coach. When he finally stops competing he most likely will be welcomed back to the RU staff. I just really wanted him to hit the recruiting trail and bring in some more talent. I would love for him to climb the US ladder, but right now he is way behind multiple wrestlers at both 65kg and 70kg and really has not been competitive with the top guys.

I am hearing the focus will be on an Upper Weight Coach. Hopefully we can pull a big time asst coach off another staff. Perhaps a coach that will help us land Big Jimmy Mullen!!

Cant say that I am surprised, because a ton of athletes in all sports seem to compete longer than they should. I thought AA was ready to be a full time coach. When he finally stops competing he most likely will be welcomed back to the RU staff. I just really wanted him to hit the recruiting trail and bring in some more talent. I would love for him to climb the US ladder, but right now he is way behind multiple wrestlers at both 65kg and 70kg and really has not been competitive with the top guys.

I am hearing the focus will be on an Upper Weight Coach. Hopefully we can pull a big time asst coach off another staff. Perhaps a coach that will help us land Big Jimmy Mullen!!
I am surprised. I thought he had read the writing on the wall and transitioned to coaching. You're right that there are several guys at those weights that he won't beat. I think he risks more leg injuries.

Could Buxton step in? Is the SKWC a better job?

Seabass just signed as a resident athlete and is definitely still focusing on his senior freestyle career. I wonder if AA stays with the SKWC as a resident athlete as well with Martin supposedly stepping away. AA probably still has that itch to compete so if he wants to still pursue that, now is the time.

With that being said, I would like to see a proven assistant in the upper weights. That would be ideal.

Also, Seabass just won 2 tournaments overseas. I can't see him stop competing until the next Olympic cycle

Reactions: bigmatt718
sounds crazy but I think we should be all in to try to get Jordan borrows. Shake the rodkin family down for some more money. It's too bad we didn't entice Damien Hawn hes not having a lot of success up there

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
sounds crazy but I think we should be all in to try to get Jordan borrows. Shake the rodkin family down for some more money. It's too bad we didn't entice Damien Hawn hes not having a lot of success up there
Maybe Burroughs has had enough success and is ready to transition. Who knows? I've always thought Damion Hahn was among the very best to come out of Jersey. But he's a head coach already. P.S. Not a good spelling day for you.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
A lot of the top candidates are still chasing their Olympic dreams and actually get paid more by most RTC then they would make as an RU Asst... And thats Not chump change with plenty of benefits...I think Rey was the 1st one interviewed or maybe Nick Gwiazdowski..Not looking good for either

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbynieds
A lot of the top candidates are still chasing their Olympic dreams and actually get paid more by most RTC then they would make as an RU Asst... And thats Not chump change with plenty of benefits...I think Rey was the 1st one interviewed or maybe Nick Gwiazdowski..Not looking good for either
Yea Gwiz probably making very good money. After the two above, Here are some guys I would contact

1.Bobby Telford-Iowa Volunteer Asst Coach-probably gets paid very well, but not really moving up the ranks with that staff-3 time Hwt AA and went to St. Marks Delaware. Maybe wants to move back East.

2. Matt Stencel-CMU-2 time AA just graduated and not sure he is looking to compete.

3. See if any of the Hwt 97kg guys are ready to coach Jordan Wood-Lehigh, Ty Walz-Virginia Tech, Mike Macchiavello-NC state

Yea Gwiz probably making very good money. After the two above, Here are some guys I would contact

1.Bobby Telford-Iowa Volunteer Asst Coach-probably gets paid very well, but not really moving up the ranks with that staff-3 time Hwt AA and went to St. Marks Delaware. Maybe wants to move back East.

2. Matt Stencel-CMU-2 time AA just graduated and not sure he is looking to compete.

3. See if any of the Hwt 97kg guys are ready to coach Jordan Wood-Lehigh, Ty Walz-Virginia Tech, Mike Macchiavello-NC state
Stencel definitely possible and maybe Macchiavello

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
LetsGoRUwrestling said:
Joe Pollard ( Jersey Joe) deserves the promotion!

Pollard would be great. Will be great recruiter. The high school kids at the SKWC love him. Buxton respects him. Great relationship with donors. Long term relationship with Goodale and Donny. Works well with the RU administration. Very loyal. Been with the program for 12 years. Will provide stability. He has proved his worth and will deliver. Yes we need a big man so get a big guy as the volunteer coach or a resident athletic. Need to be careful hiring an outsider when program needs stability.

I don't like this one bit. Good luck to Anthony, but unless he's back to pre-James Green injury form I don't see anything happening. Glad he's making one last push.

Just hope we get someone with high accolades/ big name. We need someone that is a draw to RU. Anthony gave us that.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
LetsGoRUwrestling said:

Pollard would be great. Will be great recruiter. The high school kids at the SKWC love him. Buxton respects him. Great relationship with donors. Long term relationship with Goodale and Donny. Works well with the RU administration. Very loyal. Been with the program for 12 years. Will provide stability. He has proved his worth and will deliver. Yes we need a big man so get a big guy as the volunteer coach or a resident athletic. Need to be careful hiring an outsider when program needs stability.
I hope Pollard is strongly considered. He is so well respected in NJ and throughout the country. He would be a great recruiter.

SKWC, I know. I think team training should be delegated to him.
Buxton helps with the team not just SKWC. Tell me what school delegates their team training to the RTC head coach. Buxton is doing a great job with the RTC why would we want to take him from that role. If Rutgers hires Buxton as an assistant coach the RTC better hire Kevin Jackson as the new RTC coach. Coach Jackson will bring Cox

Buxton helps with the team not just SKWC. Tell me what school delegates their team training to the RTC head coach. Buxton is doing a great job with the RTC why would we want to take him from that role. If Rutgers hires Buxton as an assistant coach the RTC better hire Kevin Jackson as the new RTC coach. Coach Jackson will bring Cox
"Tell me what school delegates their team training to the RTC head coach" One that recognizes an opportunity? Isn't the RTC there for the benefit of Rutgers wrestling?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Seriously. Our program has plateaued. We need a big money assistant in the mold of Pritzlaff. Pollard is small time thinking.
I don't think you understand how recruiting works and who cultivated the relationships with many of our top recruits and targets in the area starting in elementary school... What big names do you want and think can move the needle significantly in recruiting? Burroughs and Dake aren't coming.

LetsGoRUwrestling said:

Back in 2010 I flew back to watch Rutgers v. UConn (Chas Dodd started that game) and ended up at RUnTex's tailgate next to where Pollard was parked. Struck up a small talk conversation with him about the wrestling team. He was very cordial and pleasant to converse with. When his full party showed up and he was heading to the game, I said "good luck, Coach!" and he turned around, took the hat off his head (Rutgers Wrestling hat) and gave it to me. Still have that hat and do where it proudly during wrestling season (though will have to soon get a new one!). After all these years, I can see why he is popular as a person with so many people in the community. Glad he is a part of Rutgers!

ADVERTISEMENT