ADVERTISEMENT

Antonio Alfano wants to play here

No, he's not. He can walk on and earn a scholarship. Kid's burned bridges everywhere he's been. He's now in the prove it first stage of his life, he's no longer in the, given the benefit of the doubt stage.
I tend to agree with you.
I was thinking he would have to accept he would be redshirted his first year , to prove he has the right attitude, but reading how he thought it strange Rutgers asked about his medical history makes me feel he has a little more changing to do if he doesn't think his epilepsy and treatment for it wouldn't be raised by RU .
I don't know if he has changed or putting up a good front in order to get another shot .
Guess if he's doing well , not the minimum requirement , academically that might give a strong hint on how much he has changed.

“So, I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was at Colorado and when I was there I had a five-day sleep test to see if I would be able to continue to play,” Alfano said.

Not for nothing, but we've had players in this situation who never worked out. I don't think it's worth taking a flyer on him.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
He kinda looks like Antonio garay from rahway. Guy that played for jets
Quick response to my post. Had it up for 30 seconds and thought better of it. And deleted. Hahaha. I know some of the staff at Colonia that dealt with the Alfanos. Will leave it at that.

He’s talented enough to take a flyer on

Tom Coughlin took a flyer on Nate Robinson, signing him as an UDFA. That could be considered a walk on equivalent. Of course, first day of preseason camp was Thursday and he was cut in Sunday, 3 weeks before any cut down.

Take him in the spring with a short leash. A very short leash. Our game threads are filled with complaining about how we suck. Well we are competing with teams that allow thugs to beat opposing players with helmets postgame. I’ll take a flyer on a kid who parties too much.

I tend to agree with you.
I was thinking he would have to accept he would be redshirted his first year , to prove he has the right attitude, but reading how he thought it strange Rutgers asked about his medical history makes me feel he has a little more changing to do if he doesn't think his epilepsy and treatment for it wouldn't be raised by RU .
I don't know if he has changed or putting up a good front in order to get another shot .
Guess if he's doing well , not the minimum requirement , academically that might give a strong hint on how much he has changed.
see, I read that he hasn't gotten back to schools who showed interest as disrespectful and he's not learned anything through his immaturity. That was my take away there

Take him in the spring with a short leash. A very short leash. Our game threads are filled with complaining about how we suck. Well we are competing with teams that allow thugs to beat opposing players with helmets postgame. I’ll take a flyer on a kid who parties too much.
This . Stop the suck . It’s that simple . If this guy can help that, we need to give him a shot

Quick response to my post. Had it up for 30 seconds and thought better of it. And deleted. Hahaha. I know some of the staff at Colonia that dealt with the Alfanos. Will leave it at that.

I know some of the guys at Colonia too. Was told some crazy stuff about him.

The Kid has the talent to be a NFL Player. The main question did he really learn from his mistakes and would he be great around his teamates and school. I trust Greg
I'm pretty much in this camp too. IF coach wants him, then fine. The other question I would have is with all this transferring around and not playing, how much development has he even had? If he's still raw and has two years left, then what's the point? He's not listed on the roster on Independence's web site for this year, so don't think he's playing now.

This . Stop the suck . It’s that simple . If this guy can help that, we need to give him a shot
Now, if I’m being honest. I don’t want him but If you want to compete you take him.

There is much doubt regarding Antonio coming out of Rahway and Colonia HS . He was a player worthy of his rankings and desirability by colleges coast to coast.A true physically gifted athlete who was destined to be a future NFL guy. Only problem was Antonio also had numerous disciplinary issues which were mentioned on here and well known at Colonia High. The red flags were overlooked by all seeking his commitment. What occurred was a nice start at Alabama to Colorado and ultimately JUCO’s. The epilepsy was brought up when he was at Colorado but the discipline problem and failure going to class / practice etc. forced Nick Saban and Alfonso to part ways.He did occasionally flirt with Rutgers but that was only that …a flirtation ..a tease. The family has been a recognizable athletic dynasty in not only football but wrestling circles of New Jersey for years.Does he deserve a chance ? At this point only Schiano could approve that marriage. It’s tricky, risky , and diametrically opposed to what Schiano expects his recruits and players to behave like. Being a true student / athlete is tough enough. Antonio Alfonso had a few physical skirmishes with fellow teammates in high school. Is it worth it risking the same at Rutgers if he were offered and accepted. Do you take the chance that this would happen here? Right now I don’t expect him to come to RU. The risk reward aspect may not be worth it. We want to compete within our conference and nationally but going this route is probably the reason not to offer him a ship. Offer as a walk on and prove your worth . Plenty of NIL money going around someone will pay this player.

The article mentioned getting his grades up. That would seem to indicate that he may not have the grades to get in as a transfer. If a player is trying to show that they have changed and have grown up, hitting the books starting in their first semester at a JUCO would seem to be a good place to start.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I'm pretty much in this camp too. IF coach wants him, then fine. The other question I would have is with all this transferring around and not playing, how much development has he even had? If he's still raw and has two years left, then what's the point? He's not listed on the roster on Independence's web site for this year, so don't think he's playing now.
Yes it would seem possible that he has tons of potential, measures off the charts, but not developed as a very good on the field player either, with all the starts and stops and long gaps off the field

The OP makes an assumption here that he wants RU, when he really said he wants to hear what Rutgers is saying....... a long way off from saying he wants to come here.

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT