ADVERTISEMENT

Antonio Alfano wants to play here

Walk on only

Wasn't he busted for weed? Maybe he was self medicating for his epilepsy? It's legal here.
I don't know about weed, and most people probably know this, but he was arrested in early 2021 while still at Colorado for suspicion of harassment and resisting arrest, just a few weeks after his emotional twitter statement about his epilepsy.... Don't know the circumstances, or anything about the outcome of the charges.

He apparently hasn't played football in a few years, and now he has to try to control symptoms of a medical condition that he didn't have to worry about during the peak of his athletic success. He's also apparently taking multiple anticonvulsant medications for the condition (according to prior statements), which may or may not have somewhat of an affect on his athletic ability. So there's a chance that the athletic success that he had in the past might be at least a little bit harder to achieve now. That's not a reason to avoid giving him a shot, but any questions about his dedication, maturity, character, effect on the locker room, etc, could be reasons to pass on him, but that's a gamble that may or may not pay off for a team that gives him another chance.

Most importantly, the seizures that occur with the type of epilepsy that he's been reported to have can be triggered by various factors, especially stress, lack of sleep, excessive alcohol use, and a few others.. Any potential risks to Antonio's health should be major factors that are included in deciding whether to add him to a football roster, so I'm glad to hear that Rutgers expressed concern about his health and medical situation.

Next year will be Coach 4th season. His culture and leadership is set. I believe young people make mistakes and we all mature at different paces. I for one was an idiot til about 24 and I was lucky to be given 4-5 chances.

Vet the kid and if things hold up give him a chance. If it doesn’t work out, show him the door. I think the locker room will be fine if things didn’t work out.

If his big "crime" is doing something that is totally legal in NJ and extremely prevalent at RU what's the issue.

Normally I'm against flyers but if that's truly what it is who cares

Weed is not the issue. He has a history going back through 2 colleges and 2 high schools of problems.

It's not really clear what those are in this thread, but if GS is interested he's pretty good at avoiding issues, so i'll trust his take. All i see is partying, and we've had partiers before, and they ended up in the NFL after bowling regularly.

Would this be as a preferred walk-on or a scholarship? Scholarship, no. PWO- maybe. Some in this thread are convinced that he would be a big upgrade on the DL and I just don't see the evidence of that based on his previous stops and his current situation. Better off mining the portal.

IDK. RU doesn't need any bad boys on the team, Schiano does pick players with a certain integrity and high work ethics. And with the pay to play system there are so many NCAA proven transfers that can be had.

The article mentioned getting his grades up. That would seem to indicate that he may not have the grades to get in as a transfer. If a player is trying to show that they have changed and have grown up, hitting the books starting in their first semester at a JUCO would seem to be a good place to start.
I think it's more he's short credits to transfer again given how early he left Bama (not sure if he completed the semester) and then Colorado after what a semester maybe two.

Plus if he took PE classes at this JUCO then he's not qualifying for a transfer to RU since they don't take those credits as they don't offer a major for them.

Seems dumb that we're not going to take him according to this article. Former five start recruit.

He's worth the risks.

He's only worth the risk if he's actually matured. Nunzio was the head coach at BC when Antonio got himself thrown out as a freshman. So if they are passing it means that Greg & Nunzio still don't think he'll adhere to the program's FTC principles and be a positive presence in the locker room.

He's only worth the risk if he's actually matured. Nunzio was the head coach at BC when Antonio got himself thrown out as a freshman. So if they are passing it means that Greg & Nunzio still don't think he'll adhere to the program's FTC principles and be a positive presence in the locker room.
At the age of 42, do we think he can even play at P5 level lol

At the age of 42, do we think he can even play at P5 level lol
That's another question where us fans have no idea what type of training he's done to stay in shape and improve his game due to not being at any school for long.

I think it's more he's short credits to transfer again given how early he left Bama (not sure if he completed the semester) and then Colorado after what a semester maybe two.

Plus if he took PE classes at this JUCO then he's not qualifying for a transfer to RU since they don't take those credits as they don't offer a major for them.
He was a class of 2018 and entered Alabama early. That is when the 5 year (plus extra covid year) clock started. At a minimum for Antonio to be eligible anywhere, he would need greater than 60 credit hours. I am thinking more like 75.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Hard pass.
Issues at several schools. Head case.
Let Temple take a flyer on him.

If there is any doubt about his character, we don’t need him. No UVA type gangstas wanted here

so has he had enough respect and integrity to at least respond to the other schools that reached out? asking for a friend

so has he had enough respect and integrity to at least respond to the other schools that reached out? asking for a friend
WTF is this load of BS, you think every player in the portal reciprocates just because a school reaches out?

The portal is sometimes like the old days of brokers cold calling you. Did you return those calls when not interested in their offers?

Tom Coughlin took a flyer on Nate Robinson, signing him as an UDFA. That could be considered a walk on equivalent. Of course, first day of preseason camp was Thursday and he was cut in Sunday, 3 weeks before any cut down.
NFL is different

The kid is bad news. You don't wear an ankle bracelet in high school if you are a good kid. You don't do the crap he did if you are a good kid. The people I know who saw this kid every day in school all say hard pass.

But the B1G is different

WTF is this load of BS, you think every player in the portal reciprocates just because a school reaches out?

The portal is sometimes like the old days of brokers cold calling you. Did you return those calls when not interested in their offers?
sorry if you were raised #Hitty but the article says they reached out to him and he's yet to respond hoping for something better. That's bad upbringing and an indicator of who he is.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Reactions: Scarlet1984
What makes you think he’ll fit the culture of the football team now? It’s more than just doing well with this guy.
Sorry, my sarcasm did not translate in my post. I was being facetious. Some though seem to think RU should give the guy a shot. I disagree. I wish the young man well in his journey. Maybe he finally will achieve his football goals.

Sorry, my sarcasm did not translate in my post. I was being facetious. Some though seem to think RU should give the guy a shot. I disagree. I wish the young man well in his journey. Maybe he finally will achieve his football goals.
I caught the sarcasm. Generally, the prodigal son reclamation projects haven't worked out for us. I don't want to count guys like Drew Singleton in that mix because he was probably going to play at UM but wanted to come home.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s funny, the literal translation of the Native American word “Lackawanna” is lack of offers.
I took it hook, line and sinker. 😂
His career does seem to be at a fork.

Lackawanna%20Sign%20-%20Copy.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
We can have another chance with him if he does well at Lackawanna
Most of us caught the sarcasm.

Since he hasn’t played a down of cfb, how many years of eligibility does he have left? With the season 6 months away does he see the field at Lackawanna?

State Penn may be a good next stop for him. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT