ADVERTISEMENT

Any Blacksheer contact?

Everyone just relax. He is a good player and did his part on the practice squad. I’m sure he and GS will decide together. If he comes back, I will root for him.

A voice of reason from the mob.

We forgave GS for leaving campus...we're not going to forgive a kid that didn't leave campus?....just take away his captain status, which he no longer has anyway.

We need talent...and he's got talent...period!!!

A voice of reason from the mob.

We forgave GS for leaving campus...we're not going to forgive a kid that didn't leave campus?....just take away his captain status, which he no longer has anyway.

We need talent...and he's got talent...period!!!
Since GS talked about matchups.. I think a Blackshear can cause matchup issues... and if pacheko gets any bigger.. he cane be a RB/FB type.. not a real FB.. but close.. he's a strong one.. what that will allow is for situational mismatches.

That is, Imagine it is 2nd and 10 (after stretching the field on a long incomplete) and we go single back or empty backfield spread with both Pacheko and Blackshear as receivers.. Pacheko as an H-back type. Suppose we gain 7 and end up in a a 3rd and 1.. the D should have had a pass defense in there.. we go hurry up and immediately line up in a power I with Pacheco as lead back... the D doesn't have the right personnel.. we did not sub in so they cannot be given time by refs to sub.

And it works the other way.. suppose we use a similar lineup on 3rd and short and make it... the D might have anti-run personnel in for short yardage situation.. we hurry up again and split everyone wide.. there should be a matchup of a too-big LB for an faster RB somewhere.

That's the kind of thing we never seemed to do.. and it sounds to me like our offense will look to press advantages like this everywhere we can. A flexible back like Blackshear could add a lot.

Reactions: OldManRiver
Since GS talked about matchups.. I think a Blackshear can cause matchup issues... and if pacheko gets any bigger.. he cane be a RB/FB type.. not a real FB.. but close.. he's a strong one.. what that will allow is for situational mismatches.

That is, Imagine it is 2nd and 10 (after stretching the field on a long incomplete) and we go single back or empty backfield spread with both Pacheko and Blackshear as receivers.. Pacheko as an H-back type. Suppose we gain 7 and end up in a a 3rd and 1.. the D should have had a pass defense in there.. we go hurry up and immediately line up in a power I with Pacheco as lead back... the D doesn't have the right personnel.. we did not sub in so they cannot be given time by refs to sub.

And it works the other way.. suppose we use a similar lineup on 3rd and short and make it... the D might have anti-run personnel in for short yardage situation.. we hurry up again and split everyone wide.. there should be a matchup of a too-big LB for an faster RB somewhere.

That's the kind of thing we never seemed to do.. and it sounds to me like our offense will look to press advantages like this everywhere we can. A flexible back like Blackshear could add a lot.

Blackshear was our ONLY weapon starting this season...I, for one want him back...work your magic Greg

Blackshear is talented but I question his desire. I wish him the best but I am happy to have Pacheco, Young and Adams and whoever Greg can bring in this year.
Unless you are around the kid in the weight room, on the practice field, and in the team meetings you have no idea about his desire to play the game. When he was on the field he was a productive player. I am sorry, but to blame a talented kid for not wanting to blow a year on that absolute mess, I don't think reflects on his desire, but his intelligence, smart kid.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there's an outside shot he still remains at Rutgers. Sure hope he doesn't get sent this thread to see how people feel about him.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Pacheco is a stud by any measure. You build around that guy.

But Blackshear's best at the slot, so they shouldn't be competing with each other. Instead, they really compliment each other. If the Don Bosco kid commits he has a 4 game redshirt season. I think the team will be stronger if he stays.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Does he have to decide by the end of this semester at RU or the beginning of the next semester at either Rutgers or xyz university?

Does he have to decide by the end of this semester at RU or the beginning of the next semester at either Rutgers or xyz university?
In theory he can transfer as late as next summer. However, I am sure that his next school will want him in the program ASAP.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there's an outside shot he still remains at Rutgers. Sure hope he doesn't get sent this thread to see how people feel about him.
I think that both sides have moved on. GS is hopefully replacing his spot in the RB room with Jalen Berger.

Unless you are around the kid in the weight room, on the practice field, and in the team meetings you have no idea about his desire to play the game. When he was on the field he was a productive player. I am sorry, but to blame a talented kid for not wanting to blow a year on that absolute mess, I don't think reflects on his desire, but his intelligence, smart kid.
He was a captain , he was chosen to lead his mates through this mess not leave them behind .

Reactions: RUsSKii
If you listened today how can you think he is the kind of person Schiano wants in the locker room? No equity. Zero!
Schiano is looking for unselfish and loyal team players. If Schiano were to chase after Blackshear it would seem like a contradiction?

Reactions: RUScrew85
He was a captain , he was chosen to lead his mates through this mess not leave them behind .
These kids get 4 years and 48 games max (not including bowl games) to show their wares and try and make an impression on potential employers. Most don't play a significant role in every game they are eligible so they have even a shorter window. So you want this kid to sacrifice one of those years because he is one of many captains on the team, a team that is woeful and poorly coached. Please, the kid did the right thing and believe me his teammates understand.

Reactions: bossnj1
Can we stop with this? It’s not about loyalty. It’s about winning. It goes both ways. The kid was put into a tough situation and he did what was best for him at the time.

These kids get 4 years and 48 games max (not including bowl games) to show their wares and try and make an impression on potential employers. Most don't play a significant role in every game they are eligible so they have even a shorter window. So you want this kid to sacrifice one of those years because he is one of many captains on the team, a team that is woeful and poorly coached. Please, the kid did the right thing and believe me his teammates understand.
Not sure a potential employer would like to see that behavior. Yeah, pro teams have been known to tank a season to get a favorable draft pick, but they sure don't like to see their players decide to take a breather on their own initiative.

The players probably understand his decision but that doesn't necessarily mean they like it or are even amenable to him coming back. I think the biggest thing against him will be Nunzio. If Nunz wasn't on the staff, GS might have more leeway. As it is, he'll probably meet with him but doubt he asks him back unless Blackshear really grovels & commits to getting out of the doghouse.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Wonder how Fran Brown situation impacts this?

Also, Blackshear might be repurposed to the slot as we are headed to more of a spread.

. . . .

I think the biggest thing against him will be Nunzio. If Nunz wasn't on the staff, GS might have more leeway. As it is, he'll probably meet with him but doubt he asks him back unless Blackshear really grovels & commits to getting out of the doghouse.
If Schiano thinks the kid will help him win there will be no groveling or doghouse. This is big boy football, the name of the game is winning, the problem with Rutgers has been that we tried to run an Ivy League program in the B1G. Shiano II is all about competing against the elite programs, he didn't come hear to teach kids life lessons, don't buy everything you heard at that press conference.

Not sure a potential employer would like to see that behavior. Yeah, pro teams have been known to tank a season to get a favorable draft pick, but they sure don't like to see their players decide to take a breather on their own initiative.

The players probably understand his decision but that doesn't necessarily mean they like it or are even amenable to him coming back. I think the biggest thing against him will be Nunzio. If Nunz wasn't on the staff, GS might have more leeway. As it is, he'll probably meet with him but doubt he asks him back unless Blackshear really grovels & commits to getting out of the doghouse.

People do this all the time in the professional world. Its no different than the guy who is mentally checked out and looking for a new job. Or the guy who sees no path to advancement and starts looking for new opportunities. He made a business decision that may work out, that may not. If he wants to come back, it's up to him to reconcile with his teammates and nunzio.

People do this all the time in the professional world. Its no different than the guy who is mentally checked out and looking for a new job. Or the guy who sees no path to advancement and starts looking for new opportunities. He made a business decision that may work out, that may not. If he wants to come back, it's up to him to reconcile with his teammates and nunzio.

During the course of my "short" career to date spanning three companies and four client agencies, I don't ever recall leaving any company or agency project without providing a minimum two weeks' notice, as well as full cooperation in assisting with continuing project work as well as orderly transition/training of personnel. What Blackshear did is way more analogous to one telling their project team/manager that they have decided to sit out of a major presentation to management/executives that they have a managerial or otherwise instrumental role in on a couple of hours prior to, because said individual doesn't like managerial decisions during a down fiscal/business year. On top of that, the noted individual shows up to every major presentation/demonstration thereafter all suited up, but just watches as their project team struggles unsuccessfully with execution/demonstration/etc. without their assistance.

Before people chime in with claims that Blackshear is a college student figuring things out, I never "quit" or sat out a group project/presentation at Rutgers Undergrad and Graduate schools for any reason. In fact, I attended a family member's funeral one weekday morning in Queens, then drove to New Brunswick during afternoon rush hour just to participate in a group presentation because I felt responsible for my contributions, whether major or not. In this particular situation, quitting or putting in for an immediate transfer from the team/company altogether due to health, family, or other personal reasons would have arguably been more understandable.

Did GS meet with Raheem Blackshear? Can he flip him to stay?

I know some of you think that Blackshear shouldn't be taken back and I can understand how you feel. But I think we should leave this decision to Coach Schiano. He can best decide how much value Blackshear has and what effect taking Blackshear back will have on the team.

He took Sit
1) The plan in August was to redshirt him

2) He answered the bell when they called his number

3) His OC was fired. The new HC was going to install the offense he ran in HS, which he ran with another QB on the roster.

4) The season was a dumpster fire

The kid did the correct thing, by every measure. Now he’s coming back- invited by Schiano. He is the best QB on the roster.
You all need to shut the FVCK up.

Reactions: Rutgers56
I know some of you think that Blackshear shouldn't be taken back and I can understand how you feel. But I think we should leave this decision to Coach Schiano. He can best decide how much value Blackshear has and what effect taking Blackshear back will have on the team.
Do we have a vote? LOL

Attention RUforlife : Then you know nothing about Greg Schiano the man...a very important component of Greg Schiano is he teaches all the time.. ... Greg 2. 0 is more prepared to coach and yes , teach to players...everyone Us capable to choose whether or not to buy into what was said at the initial press conference...From what I have seen and heard from those more in the know than you , Schiano is definitely on a mission to prove a point in his 2nd go round.

Schiano is looking for unselfish and loyal team players. If Schiano were to chase after Blackshear it would seem like a contradiction?

Or a cry for help?

Serious question. Do we really know what our B1G talent level is at this point? I don’t.

But I’m concerned that it may be less than we think.

Schiano claims to value loyalty and love of team more than anything. Blackshear’s actions demonstrate the complete opposite. We need talent, but not the kind that takes away from the culture you are trying to build. It’s best for all if he goes anywhere else.

Schiano claims to value loyalty and love of team more than anything. Blackshear’s actions demonstrate the complete opposite. We need talent, but not the kind that takes away from the culture you are trying to build. It’s best for all if he goes anywhere else.
Do you think Powell feels the loyalty? We can’t have it both ways.

Do you think Powell feels the loyalty? We can’t have it both ways.
Schiano didn’t recruit him. Loyalty from him there shouldn’t be expected. Even so, he still had his scholarship honored by Rutgers. He decommitted his offer wasn’t pulled.

It is not up to the fans or people on this message board to decide whether Raheem Blackshear would be welcomed or asked to come back... if his former teammates and new coaching staff felt he should be recruited to return then that is up to them ... would we be better ? ... or would there be a chance doing so would cause morale issues going forward... as the captain he should have redshirted ( as promised) but waited to find out who was being named head coach. Personally he decided after game 3 he was gonzo either a new team or the NFL draft.

Schiano didn’t recruit him. Loyalty from him there shouldn’t be expected. Even so, he still had his scholarship honored by Rutgers. He decommitted his offer wasn’t pulled.
Is loyalty to the coach or school? If it’s to the coaches, no one should have a problem with RB. I’ll root for him if he comes back.

ADVERTISEMENT