ADVERTISEMENT

Any RU Lax Fans Going To The Open Scrimmages Today?

Heard they crushed Umass 19-7, then were beating Loyola by a goal through 3 until the bench's cleared.

That Umass score is eye popping. We have played them close through the years in these scrimmages. Games don't count but you have to be excited with what heard so far.

Would love more updates from anyone who went.

You are correct we had them by a goal at the end of 3. They outscored us 6-1 in the 4th with all of our subs in. Thought #21 was our best O player[Mazzone I believe]. Thought Llyola was very good. Thought their D was excellent. Believe we only got 1 goal in transition at the very end of the 3rd. Almost no open looks. Close tough contest.

Last edited:
You are correct we had them by a goal at the end of 3. They outscored us 6-1 in the 4th with all of our subs in. Thought #21 was our best O player[Mazzone I believe]. Thought Llyola was very good. Thought their D was excellent. Believe we only got 1 goal in transition at the very end of the 3rd. Close tough contest.
Wonder how it would've played out with the starters in.

It was evenly fought through 3 while the first and second string were in. I expect similar results to last year with us being a very good team but we are not elite yet.

To get there our man up has to improve and we need more from our mid field. Mazzone did look good but I think we need a little more from that group. I do not recall seeing Scarpello out there but I am not the best with matching numbers and names.

Attack looked very good although I do not think Charalambides is back to 100 percent yet.

The defense is good but we miss Groel, I think we took a small step back from last year.

Max looks great.

Not sure about face offs, there were a lot of violations so not feeling that either way.

As mentioned we lost the substitute battle in the 4 quarter.

The best player on the field was 7 for Loyola. He executes at a very high level while being completely nonchalant. Best individual performance I have seen in years.

If we stay healthy we should have another good year.

7 for Loyola might be the best player in the country. He is big, strong, and very athletic. His IQ is off the charts and he's creative. The whole package and then some.

He went to Boys Latin and was thought to be the third best attackman on the team his senior year. Crazy. Apparently a hell of a hoops player too.

Cali, spot on, his lax IQ is sublime. He was baiting our defenders, not just trying to move his guy and beat him one on one but moving our whole defense. Havent seen anything like it in a long time, maybe ever.

Downtown, didn't Charlambides looked all the way back either. Nor did Transolini[sp] look there either. Hope both will be come the season. We really need them.

Agreed, I was paying close attention to anyone on RU with a knee brace (including Mazzone) and while Mazzone looked fine, Trasolini and Charalambides were not as aggresive as I remember and didnt have that next step.

4 more months to rehab, I think they will be back to form or close to it.

Mazzone is now 3 years away from his knee. I wouldn't worry about him.

I know the other two guys have tested well so I'm sure it's just a matter of getting back and comfortable, which is a big piece of it. Neither has had game comp in quite awhile. They will get there. I know the squad is feeling really good about things, as are those two. In practice they haven't missed a beat. So they just need some game experience. Season still 4 months away will help raise their confidence even more.

Recovering from a major injury is very mental. Takes time to trust your body moving again.

ADVERTISEMENT