ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody drive/own a Tesla?

SkilletHead2

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2005
New Zealand
Was just reading that they are bringing back the somewhat cheaper model and it will do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. That's quick.

Edit: Sorry, didn't put OT on the thread, but I'm thinking we aren't recruiting anybody named Tesla. How do you edit the subject line?

There was a story in the New York Times about a week ago saying that the Tesla's wheels fall off when they hit a pothole, and Tesla has been covering it up by paying owners not to disclose the problem.

Reactions: MulletCork
No because I'm a man.

mike-gundy-angry.jpg

There was a story in the New York Times about a week ago saying that the Tesla's wheels fall off when they hit a pothole, and Tesla has been covering it up by paying owners not to disclose the problem.
Geez! You would think they might have checked stuff like that out before putting them on the road.

Driving one since 2014. Love it! Never a pothole issue. Only complaint is inability to mount a magnetic "R", due to the aluminum (and not steel) frame!

Reactions: tychicus
Driving one since 2014. Love it! Never a pothole issue. Only complaint is inability to mount a magnetic "R", due to the aluminum (and not steel) frame!
Gorilla Glue that sucker on. It can only add to the resale value.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: RedSpartan
A buddy of mine and his wife just bought one and they cannot wipe the smiles off their faces. I have seen the car. I understand why. It is a small spaceship.

Well it's a CUV, which is what happens when an SUV rapes a hatchback, sometimes vice versa.

Cool thing about the new Model S 60 is that it packs an extra 15kW of battery power you can activate upfront or later on for better performance...for $9K. And yeah, it's that quick because electrics develop all torque instantly.

Well it's a CUV, which is what happens when an SUV rapes a hatchback, sometimes vice versa.

Cool thing about the new Model S 60 is that it packs an extra 15kW of battery power you can activate upfront or later on for better performance...for $9K. And yeah, it's that quick because electrics develop all torque instantly.
Can't believe some 15 year old hasn't figured out how to activate the extra battery power. Seems rather mean of Tesla to do that.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Meh. They are every where out here so I have driven few. The accerlation is great. They are quick. The electronics seem acceptable or above, but at cruising speed I much prefer my Audi. It also doesn't seem to respond as well. I'll check them out in a few more generations.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I took delivery of mine in Fall of 2013. Have just north of 40K on it now including a road trip across the country and back. I've had zero problems with it other than the charge door not closing properly which was fixed in 35 minutes. Service is awesome.

Also, for those that live in NJ and travel alot, you can drive your Tesla to EWR, a service rep will meet you there, and then pick you up when you fly back home. Meanwhile they wash your car, check for any issues and fully charge your car. Completely free.

There is no way I'd go back to an ICE. Excited to see what Porsche and Mercedes put out in the next few years.

Reactions: MrWise
I got my model S in 2014 and I absolutely love it. The only downside is that the newer versions are even nicer - I don't have a self-driving mode for example.

And rc64, I consulted this board before I bought the car about the lack of a magnetic surface to place my block "R". I forgot who it was that suggested it, but I got a chrome R that sticks on to the car. It's worked great and blends well with the other stuff like the Tesla logo. Many people have asked if I had it factory installed.

Reactions: MrWise
Yeah, de
Can't believe some 15 year old hasn't figured out how to activate the extra battery power. Seems rather mean of Tesla to do that.

Yeah, will be interesting to see if they get rooted like cell phones.

It does seem like a tease, but it allowed them to bring back the entry level 60 for less than it cost two years ago, so a good move for customers. On their end, they only need to build two battery packs, instead of 3, so cuts costs. Smart move all around ... unless it's as easy to hack as the typical phone.

Can't wait for the cheaper one to come out.

Also can't wait for 100% automatic cars. Can't come fast enough.

A buddy of mine has had one for about 1.5 years. He let me test drive it last week. The only sound I heard was the sound of the tires on the pavement. Eerily quiet that one will get used to over time.

He tells me that handling is excellent on a winding road.

As far as acceleration goes that is where it really stands out. When I turned right outside the parking lot onto a four lane road he told me to " punch it." It is amazingly fast IMO and makes almost no noise while accelerating. I have read 3.1 seconds from 0-60 for his model S. And a new model will do 2.8 seconds. I have never experienced that type of acceleration before.

His cruising range based on his driving of the car is in the area of 200 miles before needing a charge. But as the battery ages the cruising range declines. And a replacement battery costs $ 40K now, so buying a used one doesn't make sense for most people since it will need to be

The Tesla is not for everybody but those that bought them seem to be quite happy with them. As battery technology improves and the cruising range improves I believe they will gain greater market share.

Last edited:
I think I will have to drive this sucker wearing water proof pants.

It would at least recharge the battery while it sits and extend its range while it's moving. You're welcome Tesla, don't forget to send me my check. :joy:

Why the heck don't they do that? I know it won't generate that much power, but it's got to be something.

Probably because Fisker did it. And a good general rule in the auto industry is, "Don't do anything Fisker did."

Also because it's unnecessary and gimmicky. Teslas have enough range that they don't need to add thousands of dollars in gimmickry. And it would only be the roof panel - they're not making a hood of solar panels so that you can crunch it in a rear-ending.

ADVERTISEMENT