ADVERTISEMENT

APP: Here are 5 storylines to watch in Rutgers football training camp

Well.. as camp open we will all be arguing about football issues soon.. issues other than NIL. So I thought it a good time to prep for what people will be looking for.

Starting tomorrow, Wednesday August 3rd.. the first game is only a month away.. Saturday September 3rd at Boston College at Noon. We really need to win that to set the tone.

I am a big fan of scheduling a P5 team as the first game. Gets everyone's atention in camp.. hopefully.. and they get a sense of urgency. Yeah.. its only an ACC team.. but would still be an important stepping stone. I only wish it were a better team where a win cannot be expected.. then a loss wouldn't be so bad and a win would mean everything.

In the first story above from the APP.. Schiano talks about the OL..

“I haven’t shied away from it, I thought that really is the thing that kind of slowed us down last year,” Schiano said. “And it’s not any attack on any singular coach or player, it’s just the facts of the matter. We play in a league where the battle up front is fierce and we didn’t win that battle enough. …I’ve said this, I think our O-line, if we can really improve there, our offense will grow exponentially, not step by step. It can take some jumps.”​

I honestly think this is letting the QB off the hook a bit much.. and the OC who kept the QB starter. What I mean is that, yeah, his protection was not perfect.. was not even good at times.. but we also saw QB making bad read.. and, especially, very late reads and very late throws.

That can be on the OC calling too many long-developing routes.. or the WRs not being fast enough or not making teh right LOS reads to run the right route or inability to get open.. or teh QB not reading the pen route properly or not decising soon enough tot throw or not throwing accutrately with enough pace on the ball.

Now opening holes on running plays.. that is on the OL... OR not having an effecting passing game where the D can run blitz and read run all the time and play man pass D so they can bring more defenders than can be blocked.

But no matter where you look to assign blame.. the offense was pitiful.. especially the passing game.. and needs to make VAST improvements this year.

Last edited:
Nothing against Noah, but this looks to be a long season unless RU catches lightning in a bottle with Gavin. Noah would be fine, if this was a star studded offense, but RU will need an unexpected spark somewhere.

Glad to have a non OT thread. I expect Vedral to start against BC. I hope that Wimsatt earns the job by the Nebraska game. Greg does does a nice job of talking up all the QBs to make sure we have depth.

Glad to have a non OT thread. I expect Vedral to start against BC. I hope that Wimsatt earns the job by the Nebraska game. Greg does does a nice job of talking up all the QBs to make sure we have depth.
Greg said he may play all 3 QBs early in the season to figure out who should be the starter.

Don't sleep on Evan Simon. In several interviews, Greg has given Evan high praise.
I like Simon too. But I get the feeling schiano and gleeson want Gavin to win this job, which I don’t think he will do in august of what is really his true freshman season. So it will be vedral until then and getting the nod at BC
Vedral will be the first guy since nova to start 3 straight opening games . B

I think Vedral will be starting against BC. This should be by far the best offensive line he’s played behind at Rutgers. I feel like you have to at least see what he can do behind a much improved line.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think Vedral will be starting against BC. This should be by far the best offensive line he’s played behind at Rutgers. I feel like you have to at least see what he can do behind a much improved line.
This 100%. He has to be given a chance to step up the way Nova did his senior year. And by the way, the protection Noah has had to this point against tougher competition (except Nova’s last year) has been so much worse that what Nova had. It’s not even close. Remember - in addition to a much better OL, Nova had an NFL caliber fullback blocking for us too. Burton was a huge factor in why that team was able to win 8 games.

Reactions: ScooterSports
Who has more total yards at the end of the season Young or Monangai?

The biggest difference the OLine should make is with run blocking. Last year Pacheco with an average OLine probably runs for 1000 yards. He was met in the backfield way too many times.

Open up our run game and then we have some speed with Cruickshank, Harris and to a lesser extent our RBs to spread the field during passing plays

Reactions: Knight Shift
This 100%. He has to be given a chance to step up the way Nova did his senior year. And by the way, the protection Noah has had to this point against tougher competition (except Nova’s last year) has been so much worse that what Nova had. It’s not even close. Remember - in addition to a much better OL, Nova had an NFL caliber fullback blocking for us too. Burton was a huge factor in why that team was able to win 8 games.

Agree - definitely helped protections....but don't forget he could chuck the ball in Caroo's direction and he had a knack for coming up with it...helps to have a 2nd round pick on the roster at WR too...

Nova had much better physical tools than vedral

Greg said he may play all 3 QBs early in the season to figure out who should be the starter.
I'd like to see him really try having two starters for once instead of the half-hearted way he's done it in the past. Until we can find a truly solid QB--the elusive holy grail we can never find--it seems like the only way.

I'd like to see him really try having two starters for once instead of the half-hearted way he's done it in the past. Until we can find a truly solid QB--the elusive holy grail we can never find--it seems like the only way.
Vedral is good enough to win this game . He will start and play most of the snaps

Yes Vedral limited but go watch the Mich game at home--he was something that game. He can guide the ship with a better OL but Gavin will be needed against talent differential opponents.

Noah would have been much better with a good OLine. He has the experience to be better this year. I don't think QB is a problem position. It all comes down to Oline. That has been our biggest problem for over 10 years now.

Nova had much better physical tools than vedral
I’m not debating that. But I still think Vedral could’ve led those teams to bowls too FWIW and possibly won the same number of games. The OL and blocking was just better.

I’m not debating that. But I still think Vedral could’ve led those teams to bowls too FWIW and possibly won the same number of games. The OL and blocking was just better.
Nope . Nova lost Penn state . But he won Michigan , Maryland and Washington state . Remember nova was BIG player of the week in one of those.
No way was vedral playing like that and winning those games the way nova did.
Right there , assuming a vedral win over penn state we go 5-7 and stink it up .
Vedral is going into year 6 . That was nova in year 4 .
Sometimes the analysis is simple.
Vedral is leading us into Boston and can win though

The issue of whether you go with the veteran QB who is not great or the 4/5 star freshman QB is widely debated. One sports analyst argues that , IF you are heading for a mediocre season, with 5 or 6 likely losses, then you are better off going with the all star freshman even if it means another loss or two, BECAUSE you want to build for his sophomore season after he has had significant playing experience.

The more playing time Wimsatt has, the better, to prepare him for 2023.

Nope . Nova lost Penn state . But he won Michigan , Maryland and Washington state . Remember nova was BIG player of the week in one of those.
No way was vedral playing like that and winning those games the way nova did.
Right there , assuming a vedral win over penn state we go 5-7 and stink it up .
Vedral is going into year 6 . That was nova in year 4 .
Sometimes the analysis is simple.
Vedral is leading us into Boston and can win though
If you remove Burton and Kaleb Johnson and replace them with guys from last year’s roster, we probably don’t go 3-0 in those games.

Also - what about the version of Nova from the year before that? The one that got picked apart by AAC teams.

If you remove Burton and Kaleb Johnson and replace them with guys from last year’s roster, we probably don’t go 3-0 in those games.

Also - what about the version of Nova from the year before that? The one that got picked apart by AAC teams.
I thought we were talking about these guys and the steps they took for their last season. Would love for vedral to have the senior season nova had . But don’t see it happening. He can still be serviceable

The issue of whether you go with the veteran QB who is not great or the 4/5 star freshman QB is widely debated. One sports analyst argues that , IF you are heading for a mediocre season, with 5 or 6 likely losses, then you are better off going with the all star freshman even if it means another loss or two, BECAUSE you want to build for his sophomore season after he has had significant playing experience.

The more playing time Wimsatt has, the better, to prepare him for 2023.
In this day and age of college football, you play for the season you’re playing. Wimstatt isn’t ready yet

I don't want to discount what another eyar of progress can do.. and especially how some QBs come alive for their last year.. but, really, I think Vedral limitations go well beyond protection. He's a fighter.. I love that.. we have had, how do I say this.. less couragegous QBs who would bail out under pressure. This would be a decade ago or more. We have had a run of QBs who, despite pressure, would hang in there and try to make the play.

It would be great to have a QB who can do it all... and maybe some day we'll see one. Maybe this year?

You guys are forgetting Nova had a ringer OC/QB coach in Ralph Friedgen his Senior year. Amazing what competent coaching can do for a player.

You guys are forgetting Nova had a ringer OC/QB coach in Ralph Friedgen his Senior year. Amazing what competent coaching can do for a player.
This cannot be emphasized enough. Nova himself has said that Friedgen showed him things about reading defenses that previous coaches hadn't. He also corrected flaws in his footwork that had been ignored.

I like Simon too. But I get the feeling schiano and gleeson want Gavin to win this job, which I don’t think he will do in august of what is really his true freshman season. So it will be vedral until then and getting the nod at BC
Vedral will be the first guy since nova to start 3 straight opening games . B
Plum you are correct Gavin won’t be the guy in games 1-2-3 but by game 4 there is a distinct possibility he could be the new face at QB. Everything is dependent upon the development of the O line and whether or not they can be better than adequate in both run and pass protection.

Plum you are correct Gavin won’t be the guy in games 1-2-3 but by game 4 there is a distinct possibility he could be the new face at QB. Everything is dependent upon the development of the O line and whether or not they can be better than adequate in both run and pass protection.
Would be interesting if they did that. Don’t start the guy against wagner, but start him against iowa ?

This cannot be emphasized enough. Nova himself has said that Friedgen showed him things about reading defenses that previous coaches hadn't. He also corrected flaws in his footwork that had been ignored.
Something I did not know about Friedgen. He played QB in HS, and was recruited by Lee Corso to play QB at Maryland. From Wikipedia:

"He attended Harrison High School where he played quarterback on his father's team.[3] John Nugent, the head coach of Harrison's rival Rye High School, recommended that his brother, Maryland head coach Tom Nugent, recruit Friedgen.[3] His recruitment was handled by Lee Corso, then an assistant coach at the school.[3] After his first season at Maryland, Nugent was fired as head coach, and his successor Lou Saban moved Friedgen to fullback to fill in for an injured teammate.[3] The following year, Maryland had a new coach, and Bob Ward again changed Friedgen's position, this time to offensive guard, although he had never blocked before.[3] Upset about the constant turnover at head coach and position changes, Friedgen received a favorable recommendation to transfer from coach Ward, but his father said, "You can transfer, but when you get home, the key you have is not going to fit the door because we're changing the lock. Quitters don't live here."[3] He remained at Maryland as a guard and later said the experience taught him a lesson in perseverance."

Something I did not know about Friedgen. He played QB in HS, and was recruited by Lee Corso to play QB at Maryland. From Wikipedia:

"He attended Harrison High School where he played quarterback on his father's team.[3] John Nugent, the head coach of Harrison's rival Rye High School, recommended that his brother, Maryland head coach Tom Nugent, recruit Friedgen.[3] His recruitment was handled by Lee Corso, then an assistant coach at the school.[3] After his first season at Maryland, Nugent was fired as head coach, and his successor Lou Saban moved Friedgen to fullback to fill in for an injured teammate.[3] The following year, Maryland had a new coach, and Bob Ward again changed Friedgen's position, this time to offensive guard, although he had never blocked before.[3] Upset about the constant turnover at head coach and position changes, Friedgen received a favorable recommendation to transfer from coach Ward, but his father said, "You can transfer, but when you get home, the key you have is not going to fit the door because we're changing the lock. Quitters don't live here."[3] He remained at Maryland as a guard and later said the experience taught him a lesson in perseverance."
Hard to imagine that happening today. He'd have been in the portal after the first coach was fired.

Would be interesting if they did that. Don’t start the guy against wagner, but start him against iowa ?
This player can be the real deal . I expect Gavin to be inserted into all games prior to Iowa. Iowa would be a great test…a tough test…

And how stand after 3 games.
3-0 and we stay the course with Vedral ?

ADVERTISEMENT