ADVERTISEMENT

APP/NorthJersey.COM: Rutgers athletics rang up a $73M deficit last year. Students, taxpayers were on the hook

If you can somehow add "Rutgers", "Athletics", "deficit" + "Students" AND "taxpayers" somehow getting screwed all into your headline = watch the click's your article gets.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!
Apparently, athletics spending might be a "thing" for one of the reporters.

Found this, which I have no memory of:
"Jean Rimbach wrote in 2005 about the lavish spending practices of officials of the non-profit New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association and the high ticket prices at high school games. The Record’s findings enraged legislators and set in motion reforms including cuts in NJSIAA spending and retirement and travel perks and a ticket price break for fans."

And this:

One of athletics' biggest "fans" chimed in on Twitter when the last version of this story was published in the fall.

Reactions: ChasRC69
I guess the only thing to do is to send our notice to the B1G letting them know we are downgrading our athletic programs. We can then apply for membership in the Patriot League and renew our traditional rivalries with Lehigh and Lafayette, and even Princeton might agree to play us. I am sure we could fill up the football stadium with those riveting rivalry games. Wrestling can go back to the EIWA and compete with Cornell, Navy, Lehigh, etc, Problem solved, everyone is happy.

I guess the only thing to do is to send our notice to the B1G letting them know we are downgrading our athletic programs. We can then apply for membership in the Patriot League and renew our traditional rivalries with Lehigh and Lafayette, and even Princeton might agree to play us. I am sure we could fill up the football stadium with those riveting rivalry games. Wrestling can go back to the EIWA and compete with Cornell, Navy, Lehigh, etc, Problem solved, everyone is happy.
There are actually people, including some on this site, who keep hoping for that.

• Angry
Reactions: DirtyRU
There are actually people, including some on this site, who keep hoping for that.
You speak the truth Heaven . We must realize who showed up on the board today only to bad mouth the sports side because they could. Look at who they are… some post all the time and many do when it fits their agendas.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
There is a tsunami of money ready to come to Rutgers and the Big Ten from the next TV rights from articles I have seen the past couple years. Depending on how much Fox/BTN are willing to share, a lot of outlets are looking for programming. CBS no longer has the SEC after March. Apple Sports and Amazon are ready to leave the barn. Who knows, maybe Facebook too. We all know attendance was destroyed by Flood/Ash and then corona. That will all bounce back, plus almost every basketball game has sold out this year. The revenue pours in more and more every July 1.

Let’s evaluate this fairly. Would we benefit from going back to small time sports? Do we return the Rutgers Medical School back to the state? Do we go back to a much smaller student body while charging the same for tuition? Can we give unwarranted financial monetary increases to all instructors, professors, and administration ? We have a country spending out of control ( Trillions) and people are worried about a paltry sum of $ 73 million . Just a tad short sighted but that has always been a Rutgers bugaboo.

So 2019-2020 the end of the Ash Era, no 2020 NCAA tourney money (??) and then 2020-2021 with no fans or game day revenue and increased costs due to COVID (testing, etc.)?
Color me not surprised. Whatever.

I’m not in the mood to figure out the negligible actual percentages this “73m” accounts for across the RU and State budgets.
Isn’t RU budget like 5bil?

Because I'm a glutton and don't want to start putting together this presentation.

RU budget: 4.5b
73m would be approx 1.6% of the overall budget.

What % of the budget does the State provide?

I love Coaches Schiano, Pikiell and Stringer. But the way Rutgers athletics as a whole is run should piss off every alum and diehard fan. There is so much incompetence and waste in that department and it's been that way for many years. If you need any proof, just look at what a disaster ticket distribution and parking has been since the mid-2000s. Whenever Hobbs leaves I hope the new AD completely cleans house. Nothing but a bunch of clueless bureaucrats in there right now.

Edit: Anyone is allowed to "chime in" to this thread regardless of their point of view. This isn't North Korea.

Last edited:
If the Arts programs were running $73 million deficits (after tuition) and the sports budget was being cut people here would be up in arms.

Get ahead of bad news. Holloway, Hobbs and all the others screwed up in not getting ahead of this story. The information was bound to come out. Now, instead of RU controlling the story the narrative has been set and we are playing defense.

Last edited:
so as I've said ,often, some of those on this board should try helping RU with their check book rather than their mouths--especially when times are bad

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Don't we find out, almost every time one of these pieces is put out there, that a decent amount of the "arithmetic" used is bullshit? I'm not clicking on the link, sorry, so if anyone who has - and doesn't hate the athletic department - wants to chime in, it's appreciated.

As Jonathan Holloway has previously said, on the record, Rutgers is more than a $1 billion / year business and university support of athletics as a whole represents about 1% of the overall budget.

This whole topic has never been anything more than click-baiting and the suggestion that the RU athletics deficit will in any way impact the taxpayers' wallets to the tune of more than a few cents each is just straight-up bullshit and I, for one, am really f*ckin' tired of hearing about it.

As I suggested years ago - whenever anyone complains to you, personally, about this topic you should flip them a quarter, tell them we're even and suggest they f*ck off.

Anyone else remember the SL ad a group from this board put together and had published?
About the SL shoddy reporting of Athletics money.
Probably 2008 or so I think?

I used to have a copy of it still.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I think it is down to 17 percent.

I found the 2022 numbers directly from RU.
https://www.rutgers.edu/about/budget-facts
https://finance.rutgers.edu/financial-services/budget

Athletics accounts for 2.8% of spending
NJ appropriations account for 18.6% of revenue.

They actually have an entire section calling out the state for dwindling funds:

Trends in State Appropriations​

As New Jersey’s state university, Rutgers derives nearly a quarter of its revenue from state appropriations, which includes operating aid for all institutions and locations; state-paid fringe benefits; and special appropriations for the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey and University Behavioral Health Care. However, students have paid an increasingly larger share of the costs of a Rutgers education.
When compared to other states, New Jersey funding for higher education is at the middle to low end. New Jersey ranks 33rd in per capita spending on higher education and 42nd when funding for higher education is measured against personal income.

I love Coaches Schiano, Pikiell and Stringer. But the way Rutgers athletics as a whole is run should piss off every alum and diehard fan. There is so much incompetence and waste in that department and it's been that way for many years. If you need any proof, just look at what a disaster ticket distribution and parking has been since the mid-2000s. Whenever Hobbs leaves I hope the new AD completely cleans house. Nothing but a bunch of clueless bureaucrats in there right now.

Edit: Anyone is allowed to "chime in" to this thread regardless of their point of view. This isn't North Korea.
If you noticed, Hobbs has been cleaning house of underperforming coaches.

I have been a season ticket holder since the mid-2000s. I have not found ticket distribution and parking to be a disaster at all. Therefore, I do need proof of your assertion, and you have provided none. Not even by North Korean standards.

Just think if that same money was invested in Bored Ape NFT’s how well our University would be doing today.

I think the fans of men's lax, women's lax, women's soccer, men's soccer, women's field hockey among other teams are pretty happy as well.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and TRU2RU
Someone get back to me on how much money women's sports generates at RU. Negative how much?

Hobbs is Henry Ford compared to Fred Gruninger.

Harsh, but wonder why some bother to follow RU sports and post here with posts like the one above and:

Not a Schiano fan at all…

Schaino 2.0 was supposed to produce results right away. Now it looks like we have to give him another ten years again.

Watching our offenses is as painfully bad as _________

Being waterboarded.

SI Mock NFL Draft - Avery Young in Round 2

If he is a bona fide top pro prospect, then why our secondary gets lit up when we play an average to a good QB?

Wimsatt and redshirt rules.

He is gone in two years. He will either go Pro or Portal. I do not see him playing here for more than two years (not counting this year).

You do realize though that Rutgers also wastes an enormous amount of money across the board. Under McCormick there were numerous bloated VP level positions who were paid in excess of $250k per year who essentially did nothing. A number were patronage jobs for state workers who had absolutely no business working at any institution of higher learning. But athletics because of it’s visibility is the easy target.

Harsh, but wonder why some bother to follow RU sports and post here with posts like the one above and:

Not a Schiano fan at all…

Schaino 2.0 was supposed to produce results right away. Now it looks like we have to give him another ten years again.

Watching our offenses is as painfully bad as _________

Being waterboarded.

SI Mock NFL Draft - Avery Young in Round 2

If he is a bona fide top pro prospect, then why our secondary gets lit up when we play an average to a good QB?

Wimsatt and redshirt rules.

He is gone in two years. He will either go Pro or Portal. I do not see him playing here for more than two years (not counting this year).
Yeah that guy has been a troll forever. Still I don’t usually see that line crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT