ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to fill out another class...

rurahrah000

All Conference
Aug 21, 2010
... with a bunch of 2* diamond in the rough. This has been happening for many years now. I still like to top the class and overall like this class given the year we had, but I miss the days when we used to finish strong. I remember the last couple of Schiano classes when we would always get awesome recruits just before signing day. Am I the only one?

... with a bunch of 2* diamond in the rough. This has been happening for many years now. I still like to top the class and overall like this class given the year we had, but I miss the days when we used to finish strong. I remember the last couple of Schiano classes when we would always get awesome recruits just before signing day. Am I the only one?

There is still time. But the last two decommits are discouraging. Losing a lot of skill and speed from the decommits which is certainly an area of need. Dont forget we control the narrative.

We'll see. Think a bunch of three stars, maybe some twos that fit our new oc and maybe some grad transfers. Doesn't seem like reaching yet.

I remember the last couple of Schiano classes when we would always get awesome recruits just before signing day. Am I the only one?
It's almost like Schiano had some on-field performance and track record of success.

Yes we aren't closing as well as we'd like, but would anyone care to compare Schiano's early classes with Ash's first true class? It's tough to compete with blue blood B1G programs when we get shut out 4 times. Eventually we'll have the on field results to back our staff's words. Until then, I trust Ash to get as much out of these kids as any coach out there.

Syheim Simmons will probably commit to Rutgers. He's an unrated NJ player but he has some impressive offers.

I am never critical of RU, but I tend to agree with this. With the flaky nature of kids these days, we should over-recruit in the early going when we have momentum and expect some to drop off. Given our schedule and talent level, I think we are years from finishing seasons strong and therefore finishing recruiting strong, unfortunately.

No, just got a 2 star running back from Delaware. BOOM. o_O

His coaching ability is questionable at best, see last year. And a mediocre at best recruiter. Bad combination.

We could of had Fleck, Joey Freshwater or maybe even Schiano back but we got this guy who looks confused 24/7. Why does he always have that puzzled look on his face.

“It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and Joes”

Reactions: RUaMoose
It's almost like Schiano had some on-field performance and track record of success.

Yes we aren't closing as well as we'd like, but would anyone care to compare Schiano's early classes with Ash's first true class? It's tough to compete with blue blood B1G programs when we get shut out 4 times. Eventually we'll have the on field results to back our staff's words. Until then, I trust Ash to get as much out of these kids as any coach out there.

Schiano's early recruiting classes were back when RU was the perennial laughing stock of CFB. No facilities, no support, no staff. If you check his first class he did very well in keeping some Top NJ recruits home to play at Rutgers. Never been done before. Fast forward 16 years and RU is in the B1G with a Program that does not even resemble the past. New facilities, Academic support, Expanded Stadium, Ongoing exposure on national TV, Team recognition throughout the state, and a schedule against big time B1G opponents .
Should we expect more on the Recruiting success in our home state.....absolutely. And yet we are still far from where we need to be.

Schiano's early recruiting classes were back when RU was the perennial laughing stock of CFB. No facilities, no support, no staff. If you check his first class he did very well in keeping some Top NJ recruits home to play at Rutgers. Never been done before. Fast forward 16 years and RU is in the B1G with a Program that does not even resemble the past. New facilities, Academic support, Expanded Stadium, Ongoing exposure on national TV, Team recognition throughout the state, and a schedule against big time B1G opponents .
Should we expect more on the Recruiting success in our home state.....absolutely. And yet we are still far from where we need to be.

We also had Flood basically destroy any momentum we might have had.
Plus we are broke compared to or competition.

The further we get away from Flood and the sooner we start getting our $$ from the B1G, the better chances we'll have to compete on an even playing field.

Reactions: RUseaweed
I'd like to see Bill Belichick win the bowl and say, "I've done everything I need to in the NFL." Take 2017 off. We hire him for 2018.

Schiano wasn't stupid. Only simpletons like you fail to see the colossal mess he walked into. I think I would have dropped my tickets if we hired some ass clown like Fleck with his white trash wife.

Then he should have gotten his butt on campus 12-8-15 and not weeks later if it was such a mess since I assume he knew the condition of the program. You can circle the wagons around Ash all you want that won't change the truth: 0-9. 78-0, decommits left and right, no FL pipeline, no discernible improvement in S&C, etc. The class that everyone was bragging about is fixin' to drop into the 50s.

Then he should have gotten his butt on campus 12-8-15 and not weeks later if it was such a mess since I assume he knew the condition of the program. You can circle the wagons around Ash all you want that won't change the truth: 0-9. 78-0, decommits left and right, no FL pipeline, no discernible improvement in S&C, etc. The class that everyone was bragging about is fixin' to drop into the 50s.

another one returns....

What you post will not change the truth of the reality of the shape of not only the entire football program but the AD itself before Hobbs and Ash was hired. NO ONE could had hit the ground running here, and if you don't believe that then you must had your head in the sand for the entire Flood run here.

Unfortunately, the one thing in all of that that actually matters has stayed the same -- recruits will not commit to a school where they feel they won't win games. The rest of that stuff is just window dressing -- and, is also behind our peers. Our expanded stadium, TV exposure and facilities are all behind our Big Ten counterparts. It will be HARDER to recruit in the Big Ten, not easier. I don't know why people don't get this. Generally speaking, players want to play on teams that are going to win.

Unfortunately, this shuffling downward is going to keep happening until we win some games. It is inevitable that just as we fill out our class by stealing recruits from teams that are less desirable than us, teams that are better than us will fill out their classes by poaching our guys. Unfortunately for us, the teams below us where we can poach are not P5 or even the better G5 schools.

It's a tough sell to recruits right now competing against other Big Ten schools. Looks like the class will finish last in the Big Ten which isn't going to help move up the pecking order in terms of on the field performance. But it is a rebuilding effort and you have to start somewhere. There are some good recruits (Clark, Melton, etc.) in this class, so maybe that will be the building blocks of future teams.

I am still waiting for your reply on how much greater Cal is than Rutgers in the last 20 years. BTW, Sonny Dykes says hello.

I am still waiting for your reply on how much greater Cal is than Rutgers in the last 20 years. BTW, Sonny Dykes says hello.

You're just deflecting with nonsense. We're now ahead (barely) of only Indiana in our division. The rest are all in the top 15 ! Oh, and Lovie's Illini is even ahead of us. This after all we heard on here for months was how great recruiting was going under Ash.

Typical over reaction.

We have probably an average amount of decommits when measured across the country.

Our S&C is leaps and bounds better and if you had an clue about that area you would know.

Why do we need a Florida pipeline? Because Schiano did 10 years ago? We're recruiting other areas now like OH, GA, AL. Get over it.

Him not coming to RU while recruits couldn't visit the campus wasn't a big deal.

Try a little harder to make a mountain out of a molehill while ignoring the elephant in the room that we have a roster littered with MAC level talent. That can't change overnight or in a year, no matter how much crying you do.

Unfortunately, the one thing in all of that that actually matters has stayed the same -- recruits will not commit to a school where they feel they won't win games. The rest of that stuff is just window dressing -- and, is also behind our peers. Our expanded stadium, TV exposure and facilities are all behind our Big Ten counterparts. It will be HARDER to recruit in the Big Ten, not easier. I don't know why people don't get this. Generally speaking, players want to play on teams that are going to win.

Unfortunately, this shuffling downward is going to keep happening until we win some games. It is inevitable that just as we fill out our class by stealing recruits from teams that are less desirable than us, teams that are better than us will fill out their classes by poaching our guys. Unfortunately for us, the teams below us where we can poach are not P5 or even the better G5 schools.

RU#1fan's angst is understandable. At a superficial level, we should EXPECT recruiting to tick up with us joining the B1G. We all know the major reason why recruiting lagged the last 2 years. However, our entrance in the B1G has also seemed to work against us, as it has opened the gates to several B1G teams who did not previously have a strong recruiting pipeline in NJ. Win games and recruiting will tick back up.

No this board is full of people who worry too much. Every year there were dozens of posters complaining about Schiano too. It's not just you.

The guys playing in the Super Bowl were not all 4 stars. Hogan played Lax but he seems to be doing okay. Logan Ryan was a 4 star but that is it from the RU / NJ contingency. Schiano pulled in some 3 stars at the end each year and part of that was him having kids hold back their announcements. He was showman as well as a great recruiter. Schiano used to lose kids and replace them all of the time but he sold it well.

We lost a couple of 3 stars which I admit sucks but we added one at a different position. We have a couple of other kids in the fold and with Kill on board we are emphasizing size more than speed or so it seems.

Let's see how it plays out. Or you can all worry....whatever works for you.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's a tough sell to recruits right now competing against other Big Ten schools. Looks like the class will finish last in the Big Ten which isn't going to help move up the pecking order in terms of on the field performance. But it is a rebuilding effort and you have to start somewhere. There are some good recruits (Clark, Melton, etc.) in this class, so maybe that will be the building blocks of future teams.
Currently there are 4-5 teams below us in recruiting ranking so I doubt we'll finish last in recruiting.

That's the thing with a lot of these newer coaches. They're very enthusiastic and promising when they come to selling a message. Ash is a good recruiter and had a strong pitch on day one. NJ coaches supported him last year and will continue to support him as long as he builds the program the right way. Not sure if a 28 yr old OC with little experience was the right way but have Kill here is a big step up.

The obvious:
Ash's big challenge will be winning on the field and doing it on the cheap in the BiG. Kids want playing time #1 and being on a winner #2. 4 star recruits generally think they're going to start anywhere they go so being on a winner during their tenure is paramount.

The obvious:
Same goes for good young underpaid coaches. They want to learn in a winning system because it is an experience and resume builder.

The not-so-obvious:
How much time does Ash have to make a winner? 3 more years? 4 more years? Probably longer than Diaco had in UConn. You have to give Ash time. You have no choice. Hopefully he'll continue to grow and keep a good staff together.

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
You're just deflecting with nonsense. We're now ahead (barely) of only Indiana in our division. The rest are all in the top 15 ! Oh, and Lovie's Illini is even ahead of us. This after all we heard on here for months was how great recruiting was going under Ash.
No I am not. You are cherry picking your arguments. You wanted an EXPERIENCED coach. Sonny failed at Cal and was fired. You cry about Ash not being here on 12-18-15. What does that have to do with recruiting THIS year?

two more seasons Ash probably has after this one to turn the ship around,win some B10 games.all starts with recruiting, getting the Jimmies and Joes..

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
There is still time. But the last two decommits are discouraging. Losing a lot of skill and speed from the decommits which is certainly an area of need. Dont forget we control the narrative.

Our last 2? Wasn't a much needed kicker, 5-star per Kohl's, one of our last 2 commits? And prior to Devera was the 3-star kid Bordner from Ohio (not counting walk-ons or PWO's)? And isn't 3-star Tijuan Mason, supposedly, a commit?

The OP has been anti-Ash since our first loss. He has been incessantly bashing Ash, and his recruiting, for months now. Not really sure why he is allowed to consistently begin threads as such.

Our last 2? Wasn't a much needed kicker, 5-star per Kohl's, one of our last 2 commits? And prior to Devera was the 3-star kid Bordner from Ohio (not counting walk-ons or PWO's)? And isn't 3-star Tijuan Mason, supposedly, a commit?

The OP has been anti-Ash since our first loss. He has been incessantly bashing Ash, and his recruiting, for months now. Not really sure why he is allowed to consistently begin threads as such.

Last two decommits. I know we've picked up some guys along the way, and I am in no way shape or form drowning in negativity, but just recognizing team speed was a problem last year and that we need to improve in that area. Very happy about the guys coming on board and continue to preach that this has been a good year big picture - these decommits don't compromise that one bit.

It's certainly disappointing. I expected Ash to pull in a top 35 class when he was first hired, and if RU went 5-7 last season I honestly think he may have done it. The good news is that this class should at least get our heads above water and is 10x better than what Flood was producing.

Reactions: RUseaweed
As was mentioned above, kids want to PLAY on a winner. No doubt highly rated recruits have confidence in their abilities, but what happens when they start practice at one of the perennial top 30 programs, and see who is front of them, and later hear about the staff recruiting players at their position for the following year. Its hard to impress NFL scouts if you're not getting on the field.

A few thoughts:

1) Flood recruited "diamonds in the rough/hidden gems" from day 1; he didn't just "fill" his classes with them the final week

2) I see maybe 1 as such so far in this class? 2 at best?

3) this isn't over just yet. I always called for a top-35'ish class Year 1 but hopefully sneak into top 40

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Why are PSU asses like this allowed to keep coming here?
As a proud former RU student and present Grad student I go to far too many events to listen to somebody like you mouth off to me. PLEASE bite me.

You're from Penn State (an embarrassment to sports and humanity). Know your place.. or change your team.
As a proud former RU student and present Grad student I go to far too many events to listen to somebody like you mouth off to me. You can Bite Me as well.

Listen, Huey may be a little, let's say, "unhinged," but he's not a bad guy and has shown enough support around here not to warrant douche-baggery. Unless, of course, it's warranted! :cool2:

flipping at other powers means next man up..thats another four star or high three star next in line to take the leaving four star spot..
not replacing with a two star with JMU or Toledo offers.

Reactions: drewbagel423
ADVERTISEMENT