ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Article: Rutgers falls to Iowa in first game of series

How is it still possible Rutgers can not find one legitimate closer on this staff. It has cost us probably 2-3 games already In conference. The hitting has been outstanding up and down the lineup. Power numbers we haven’t seen in years. Owens has to find the answer or we are wasting a chance to get back to respectability in the B1G.

How is it still possible Rutgers can not find one legitimate closer on this staff. It has cost us probably 2-3 games already In conference. The hitting has been outstanding up and down the lineup. Power numbers we haven’t seen in years. Owens has to find the answer or we are wasting a chance to get back to respectability in the B1G.
I wont argue that our bullpen hasn't been horrendous this year. But this particular game today was 14-11 for a reason. The home plate umpire only called strikes on pitches right down the middle. Pitchers on both sides had their hands tied. Heck, both teams started their ace and the score was 6-6 after five innings! Pitchers knew they pretty much had to throw a meatball or walk the batter

I believe we have now blown either 3 or 4 games in the 9th inning. Our bullpen has been a disaster. I feel so sorry for Coach Owens. I cannot imagine how he must feel. Instead of 11-10 we should be at least 14-7.

I wont argue that our bullpen hasn't been horrendous this year. But this particular game today was 14-11 for a reason. The home plate umpire only called strikes on pitches right down the middle. Pitchers on both sides had their hands tied. Heck, both teams started their ace and the score was 6-6 after five innings! Pitchers knew they pretty much had to throw a meatball or walk the batter
Please stop with the umpires fault we lost. You sound like an excuse maker. No closer now for 2-3 sure win games.

Please stop with the umpires fault we lost. You sound like an excuse maker. No closer now for 2-3 sure win games.
Not an excuse for us losing at all. Just an explanation that the game was so high scoring because of him. He was bad for both teams. Where did I say he was the reason we lost?

Please I go with the premise that having that closer type guy is one of the prime prerequisites for success in baseball. We have how many pitchers on the team ? I gotta believe we can find 1 reliable kid with the mindset. “ I’m shutting these guys down.” Owens has done well and I like this team but we have given away some games which were ours and we all see a problem with the end of game closing.Sorry I don’t blame everything on umpiring.

Not an excuse for us losing at all. Just an explanation that the game was so high scoring because of him. He was bad for both teams. Where did I say he was the reason we lost?

I thought that it was especially tough for Kyle Muller, who has been really good at nibbling at the corners. In addition, there was a bit of a kamikaze like intervention. The home team had the misfortune that the wind and rain really kicked up during the top of the ninth inning. Without that, Sweeney almost certainly makes the play and Lasko makes the play and we are not having this discussion.

Did you watch? I did. The OP is correct.
Still excuses by our RU baseball fans. Sounding like the Little League dads who complain that the umpire was the reason for the loss. So it was the home plate umpire who is the reason for lacking a closer. I go pretty far back in Rutgers history all the way to John Bateman. Missed a great opportunity to play for him. Knew Moose very well ... since 8 years old and played against his teams. Those two would never use the umpire excuse.

Still excuses by our RU baseball fans. Sounding like the Little League dads who complain that the umpire was the reason for the loss. So it was the home plate umpire who is the reason for lacking a closer. I go pretty far back in Rutgers history all the way to John Bateman. Missed a great opportunity to play for him. Knew Moose very well ... since 8 years old and played against his teams. Those two would never use the umpire excuse.

So the answer is “no.“ You did not watch.

Reactions: knight82
No my answer is I have forgotten more regarding baseball than you will ever know. I don’t need to have actually witnessed the game to realize this fact. Rutgers lacks a closer. I guarantee my understanding of baseball in 2021 is still pretty good. The game was lost due to not finishing.

[/QUOTE]
I just put him on "ignore". sounds like a grouchy old timer

No my answer is I have forgotten more regarding baseball than you will ever know. I don’t need to have actually witnessed the game to realize this fact. Rutgers lacks a closer. I guarantee my understanding of baseball in 2021 is still pretty good. The game was lost due to not finishing.

You could be the worlds greatest art critic, but but you still have to look at the piece to evaluate it.

I watched the last 3 innings of the game and while I did think the ump had a tight zone, he was tight for both. The problem I saw with him was, to me, he had an egg shaped rotating strike zone. Every inning was a little bit different and his consistency was poor. Again, he was that way for both teams so I guess he was consistently inconsistent. Ha.

I also watched the pitch clock. I did think that it started quicker for the Iowa pitchers than it did for the RU ones. Don’t blame them for doing it because it would be a home field edge but just an observation. I did see a ball get called in another game after warnings for slow pitching so I’m glad they are trying to enforce it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBOB72
You could be the worlds greatest art critic, but but you still have to look at the piece to evaluate it.
Sorry in this case you are an excuse maker for a lack of what is a key component in winning close games at this level. It has nothing to do with the umpiring in the game where balls and strikes are called. I was involved in many games (as a catcher) where I didn’t like how an umpire was calling balls and strikes fortunately a very wise coach of mine a former catcher in the St.Louis chain explained why excuses only merit so much in the conversation. So you feel the umpire fixed the outcome? Very telling but also interesting.

[/QUOTE] Sounds a little butt hurt but do you think I really care ? I explained this has always been a problem with “ fans” on most teams. With Rutgers we have some who only wish to see it one way. I understand completely so knock yourself out. Guaranteed somewhere along the road you’ll see that excuses are for losers. And they are.

Sounds a little butt hurt but do you think I really care ? I explained this has always been a problem with “ fans” on most teams. With Rutgers we have some who only wish to see it one way. I understand completely so knock yourself out. Guaranteed somewhere along the road you’ll see that excuses are for losers. And they are.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds a little butt hurt but do you think I really care ? I explained this has always been a problem with “ fans” on most teams. With Rutgers we have some who only wish to see it one way. I understand completely so knock yourself out. Guaranteed somewhere along the road you’ll see that excuses are for losers. And they are.
[/QUOTE]
Love the childlike attitude. Is that like giving your child or grandchild a timeout? Do we have a closer that is the real and only valid question. Umpiring is subjective and always has been.

ADVERTISEMENT