ADVERTISEMENT

Ash has Class

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
I rarely see it spoken about but Chris Ash has certainly made some very classy moves when it comes to his assistants. Over the past 2 years, instead of firing Mehringer, Kuhr, Burnham and Jafar, he has very quietly let each of them know, that they need to find other jobs after the season. In the case of Williams, he actually gave him a full 2 or 3 months notice, which is beyond reasonable for any boss to do. I hope future assistants see this and Ash becomes the type of Coach you want to work for, I think he probably learned much of this from Urban Meyer

I could not be happier with the direction that Rutgers football is going. I had made a checklist back in early December (see link to post below), and Ash has followed it to a T. I think we will see a noticeable difference in our offense over the next 2 years and McNulty IS A REAL OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR and was a great choice and from what I am hearing, our new WR Coach will be someone who will give 2019 recruiting an immediate bump and will be a huge upgrade over what we had. This move has been in the works for a while now, so Ash has has his top picks and just needs to wait past signing day to announce it

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-timing-could-not-be-any-better.136219/#post-3064953

I rarely see it spoken about but Chris Ash has certainly made some very classy moves when it comes to his assistants. Over the past 2 years, instead of firing Mehringer, Kuhr, Burnham and Jafar, he has very quietly let each of them know, that they need to find other jobs after the season. In the case of Williams, he actually gave him a full 2 or 3 months notice, which is beyond reasonable for any boss to do. I hope future assistants see this and Ash becomes the type of Coach you want to work for, I think he probably learned much of this from Urban Meyer

I could not be happier with the direction that Rutgers football is going. I had made a checklist back in early December (see link to post below), and Ash has followed it to a T. I think we will see a noticeable difference in our offense over the next 2 years and McNulty IS A REAL OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR and was a great choice and from what I am hearing, our new WR Coach will be someone who will give 2019 recruiting an immediate bump and will be a huge upgrade over what we had. This move has been in the works for a while now, so Ash has has his top picks and just needs to wait past signing day to announce it

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-timing-could-not-be-any-better.136219/#post-3064953
Nice job seeing this. Too many are so down on ash but don’t see the quality person he is. He also is working toward @dding pieces to this staff. Future is bright.

Nice to see a positive post about the way Ash does his job and treats assistants that he's replacing.
[thumb2]

Reactions: Loyal-Son
As many have pointed out, the similarities between Ash and Schiano are numerous - both are very good defensive minds, both were pretty poor game day coaches in the beginning of their careers, excellent administrators and CEO's, tireless workers and hopefully good closers onthe recruiting trail

The biggest difference i see is that Schiano was a micro manager who chased away assistants that werent YES men, whereas Ash went from initially only hiring those who were in his universe to branching out finding people like Jerry Kill (great coach but in the wrong job) and John McNulty (right guy for the right job). I think the WR coach might be the biggest coaching upgrade we get, so stay tuned as Ash (and Hobbs) continue to fine tune the staff and make it competitive with at least the middle of the pack of the BIG

I agree with the OP on this post and totally disagree with him in the post that he linked. Weird. [roll]

from what I am hearing, our new WR Coach will be someone who will give 2019 recruiting an immediate bump and will be a huge upgrade over what we had. This move has been in the works for a while now, so Ash has has his top picks and just needs to wait past signing day to announce it

- - Wow - that's an ambitious projection - hope you are right

"will give 2019 recruiting an immediate bump and will be a huge upgrade over what we had" - to have instant "sizzle" this will have to be somebody with established name recognition AND coaching chops - although - and this is not meant to be a nasty shot - Williams did not exactly set the bar real high.

" just needs to wait past signing day " makes it sound like a currently active college coach - and not an NFL guy that McNulty is pulling in on his own - also a currently active college coach who feels a strong need to stay where he is for another 5-6 days to fulfill his obligation to close the deal with his recruits.
Also, the way you phrase it, it would appear that Ash has been very fully & deeply invested in this process - while obviously have to assume that McNulty has to be sold on the candidate too.

so far the clues that you provide do not rule out Acosta or Carty - possibly the conversations that Ash may or may not have had with either on during the OC search were serving multiple purposes?

Reactions: eceres
It's definitely NOT Acosta...Carty would be a good fit but not the top choice

"just needs to wait past signing day to announce it"

- thought that this hinted at somebody already on a college staff

... so, if it was Campanile - why was it thought to be necessary to wait ?

-or were your sources focused on a different candidate?

Well, there ya have it

Big name, brings INSTANT recruiting pop for the 2019 class and had even more stain than his brother,who is a great guy as well

Ash left his comfort zone, let's hope the rewards are well worth it

We need assistants whose strongest part of their resume is recruiting, and I do not mean NJ and Staten Island recruiting. From theTidewater area down to Florida, and Reading PA to Detroit. Find and land athletes who can and want to compete in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT