ADVERTISEMENT

Ash is unimpressed with The Birthplace.........

Thank god!!! Kids don’t care about this, always hated when we used this as a pitch. Keep it on the stadium for history but that should be it. If you’re two recruiting pitches are “we played the first game 150 years ago and we’re close to NYC” then why would kids come here

To be fair, he didn't say he was unimpressed, he said he didn't think potential recruits would be impressed that Rutgers is celebrating the 150th anniversary of college football. However, if he doesn't mention it to recruits, and he isn't excited about it, it is not surprising that recruits haven't shown any excitement either.

I may be off the bandwagon for good.........

that should be a fire-able offense.......
Follow up question should have been:
"Do you feel that way because your coaching is just like an abortion-something that's unholy and evil?" (Channeling Kay Corleone).
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
it was a complete softball........... since day one, he's shown a complete lack of understanding for any history or success at this school.......

how hard is it to say something like:

Of course we're proud of the history we've had here... Is it the most important thing? probably not.. But, you always want recruits to know that they are coming to a place with some football history

it was a complete softball........... since day one, he's shown a complete lack of understanding for any history or success at this school.......

Of course we're proud of the history we've had here... Is it the most important thing? probably not.. But, you always want recruits to know that they are coming to a place with some football history

Bingo!

He has been dismissive of everything and anything RU might have accomplished prior to him getting here.

Holy crap, you can't be serious? We have some great history.
I read up on the history of the RU FB program. Was actually given a book about it from a relative of sorts, and I enjoyed the book a lot.

But I don't care about it when I go to football games. I don't care if the coach talks about it. It's history. It's over. I'm also not much for tradition.

I. Just. Want. To. Win.

Exactly. Nobody says it has to be the only pitch or even the main pitch but to weave it into a coach’s plan and state that we are going to build on our history and get us to the highest level would be appropriate. Why do people think it has to be a binomial? Winning in the future and respecting our past traditions are not mutually exclusive. How many people did Ash piss off by dissing everything about our past including players, traditions, awards, high school programs/players/coaches, etc.? His “strategy” has really worked for him, hasn’t it...

To be fair, he didn't say he was unimpressed, he said he didn't think potential recruits would be impressed that Rutgers is celebrating the 150th anniversary of college football. However, if he doesn't mention it to recruits, and he isn't excited about it, it is not surprising that recruits haven't shown any excitement either.
He's not excited because he won't be here to celebrate...

Far as I'm concerned, the next coach we hire can be totally dismissive of everything and anything RUFB accomplished in the past just so long as he gets us winning games.
My question how do you sell a place if your totally dismissive of it? That's pretty much been Ash's M-O since he's got here. This isn't good enough, that isn't either. What's he selling? It's a long arduous rebuild? Sorry, but in order to sell a place you need to embrace the place, not sh*t all over it. That should have been the opening segment in Ash's creating a Championship Culture video for only $39.99.

My question how do you sell a place if your totally dismissive of it? That's pretty much been Ash's M-O since he's got here. This isn't good enough, that isn't either. What's he selling? It's a long arduous rebuild? Sorry, but in order to sell a place you need to embrace the place, not sh*t all over it. That should have been the opening segment in Ash's creating a Championship Culture video for only $39.99.
I don't think any coach is going to convince players to come to RU because of it's storied football history or traditions.

Put yourself in the mind of a 17 year old kid w/no particular prior connection to RU. Do you care about where football was born? Are you deciding to go to RU because of the horse or the cannon, or the words to the alma matter?

Or do you care about getting to the NFL, quickly getting playing time, or working with a coach you feel a rapport with, quality of facilities, or being close to home so family can easily come and watch games, etc?

Pretty sure most players are in that latter group. I don't think it matters a bit what Ash or the coach that replaces him thinks about RU's history. I only think it matters if they can convince a player about the other stuff. Players care about what you can do for them now.

And I'm pretty sure Ash wasn't, and isn't, shitting all over that stuff when talking to recruits.

I don't think any coach is going to convince players to come to RU because of it's storied football history or traditions.

Put yourself in the mind of a 17 year old kid w/no particular prior connection to RU. Do you care about where football was born? Are you deciding to go to RU because of the horse or the cannon, or the words to the alma matter?

Or do you care about getting to the NFL, quickly getting playing time, or working with a coach you feel a rapport with, quality of facilities, or being close to home so family can easily come and watch games, etc?

Pretty sure most players are in that latter group. I don't think it matters a bit what Ash or the coach that replaces him thinks about RU's history. I only think it matters if they can convince a player about the other stuff. Players care about what you can do for them now.

And I'm pretty sure Ash wasn't, and isn't, shitting all over that stuff when talking to recruits.

okay... he's honest to a fault........ except for admitting his DC sucks and he's over his head..........

i don't care if he actually talks to them about it or not........ you don't just "dismiss out of hand" the friggin' slogan you have hanging in your endzone.........

you make up some pablum that keeps the alumni who are actually wasting their time watching your stupid press conference happy........

you think the head coach at Arkansas really wants to do "pig sooie"? Of course not... but, you understand your audience....

Last edited:
OP - FAIL.

Of all the things you want to attack Ash on this isn't one of them. Shows he smarter than you.

Reactions: OldManRiver

Agree. The birthplace is interesting to think about when you get older and realize the landscape of college football and how Rutgers fits into that from historical context. A high school senior is not going to care about that. It might be interesting when you see the sign at the stadium, but it probably makes less than 1% of an impact on their decision.

This is where Ash loses it. Only an idiot would downplay being the first to play college football.

You think schools like ND erase their history every year and start over.

Ash wants this to be all about him. Only he doesn't have the track record of gravitas to warrant that.

Sorry, have to agree, 14-17 year old kids don't give a crap about something 150 years ago, hell they don't care if your program won championships in the 80s and 90s. 3-5 star recruits want to know how is your program going to get them to the next level, period, whether it be facilities, coaching, contacts, etc., not whether a 150 years ago your school played in the first football game. That is something for fans to care about, and a lot of them couldn't care less either. It is a nice piece of history and trivia question.

Telling a kid the food in the cafeteria is delicious and you can have lasagna or pizza 3x a day if you want, is more likely to influence them than 6-4 over Princeton.

This is where Ash loses it. Only an idiot would downplay being the first to play college football.

You think schools like ND erase their history every year and start over.

Ash wants this to be all about him. Only he doesn't have the track record of gravitas to warrant that.
Oh god, seriously?? NDs history is about championships. Ours is about a game 150 years ago. Jeeze. Thinking his comments is a big deal is insane.

I’m shocked that fans think it’s not a big deal to talk about the history of the program. I get that kids don’t care about it per se but they aren’t robots. They know when someone is proud of where they are, and celebrating one’s history is part of it. If you dismiss it you’re just another school. I would sell the hell out of it to kids not because they will care about the history, but because it will help me communicate to them that I have pride in my school.

He should be selling his vision for Rutgers football going forward. He should be selling how he personally helped develop kids as a member of the OSU staff that are now playing in the NFL. He should be selling kids that have gone on to the NFL from Rutgers under his watch and within the last 10 years. He should be selling the current facilities and the facilities that will be coming online by the time these kids matriculate. He should be selling the fact that we are located near NYC and that we are sitting in the media capital of the world. He should be selling them on our academic support system. And then maybe he should in passing bring up the fact that we are the birthplace of college football, but only as a bit of trivia, not a selling point.

Oh god, seriously?? NDs history is about championships. Ours is about a game 150 years ago. Jeeze. Thinking his comments is a big deal is insane.

It's about all of it. Read Holt'z book. He walked into shitty facilities and said these aren't shitty. These are the seats that Knute Rockne sat in!

It's all how you sell it. Only an idiot wouldn't speak of playing in the first game as part of your pitch. We are one of two schools that can say this.

It should be marketed as a much bigger deal than the school currently does with it. So should Ash in his recruiting pitch. Not mentioning it currently isn't working.

I’m glad I’m not in the tourism business, you know since people think like Ash now. No one cares about where things started... why go to the village your family is from, why visit Independance Hall, why celebrate the start/birth of anything... it just doesn’t matter, right? It’s real simple, CFB STARTED HERE AND RUTGERS NATION IS PROUD OF THAT. Ash doesn’t have to get the tattoo, but he should share some of the pride. Poor look on his part, he is done in my eyes.

If you are selling the program and a vision you are selling not only high school players-who are admittedly the most important—but also alumni, explayers, fan base, the community, etc. If a coach could come in and immediately win big time, then maybe it doesn’t matter. In reality, and in NJ, it’s more likely you have to build multi prong support. Ash is incapable of doing that. Dissing our traditions doesn’t work for anyone trying to rebuild; a rebuild in NJ from a practical standpoint requires support on many levels.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT