ADVERTISEMENT

Ash must go

I always believed give a new head coach a chance especially one going to RU.
But when I realized how bad Mehringer was, I had to wonder how can Ash be that bad to hire
a guy that didn't think he needed his QB to throw the ball.

Sign me up - I wanted Greg back when we canned Flood...

#metoo and yes I was not one of the Gregs biggest fans and didnt like how he left us...but given our circumstances it was probably appropriate...now it is mandatory because it revives interest from the fans AND recruits not to mention media IMMEDIATELY and thats what we need. Yes he has limitations, yes he can be frustrated but he has STAIN and thats what this program is sorely lacking

Reactions: redking
I always believed give a new head coach a chance especially one going to RU.
But when I realized how bad Mehringer was, I had to wonder how can Ash be that bad to hire
a guy that didn't think he needed his QB to throw the ball.

Many of us said that and were shot down!!

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
wasn't Ash supposed to be a really good Defensive Coach when at Ohio State? shouldn't that have spread to RU defense ? not seeing it... and other posts are right... blow outs by B1G teams is bad, but low level P5 team or D1A teams is embarrassing.... what did he even do for RU in 3 years ???????

wasn't Ash supposed to be a really good Defensive Coach when at Ohio State? shouldn't that have spread to RU defense ? not seeing it... and other posts are right... blow outs by B1G teams is bad, but low level P5 team or D1A teams is embarrassing.... what did he even do for RU in 3 years ???????

Or maybe it's the fact OSU had 4 and 5 star recruits at every position, so it wouldn't take a great defensive mind to coach a respectable defense with that kidn of talent.

Reactions: RUskoolie
We talk about the buyout for Ash but how much do we lose by keeping him empty stands etc...We need to cut our loss now before we go under. Or get out of the Big10
right !! loss of ticket sale revenue and concessions and parking, leads to loss of sales of merchandise, and low TV ratings means advertisers pay less for lower ratings..... all that revenue and sure there are others are probably a lot higher than we realize and likely comparable to his buyout. Just frustrated.... gotta be a way out... B1G cash coming soon I hope

There really is nothing to discuss. Failure at all levels. Do it before this program gets buried in an abyss

Bring back Greg. This has to be done
Agreed. But Greg is not coming back. Bring in a qualified and proven HC and pay them the damn money!

Reactions: shields
There really is nothing to discuss. Failure at all levels. Do it before this program gets buried in an abyss

Bring back Greg. This has to be done
They showed a clip of Ash after halftime that said his goals were "to be the best we can be" and "to be in a position to be in bowls every year."

Not good enough.

He either doesn't believe in this place or he doesn't believe in himself. I think it is the former and he has been like that since the day he showed up.

Contrast with Schiano who was quoted in an SI article "Why Cant Rutgers Ever Win" about how we would go to the Sugar Bowl.

And he believed it.

We don't necessarily need Schiano again. But we definitely need somebody who doesn't view Rutgers as some sort of anchor.

Reactions: KevH and RUskoolie
This entire team has quit on him. All they're hearing from the coaches right now is white noise. It's the same mistakes week after week, kids don't even know when they're supposed to be on the field, on the sidelines it's just a defeatist attitude not one ounce of passion. It's over, they're not buying what he's selling any longer.

Ding, ding, ding ! Winner

I agree that Ash must go asap. But Schiano would be a mistake. He would be better than Flood and Ash but is that the bar we are trying to set?

We need to once and for all pony up and hire an established head coaching with a track record of winning and pay him. No more taking chances on the up and coming hot assistant coach.

Bac this is one time where you and I agree. Anyone have ten million plus to buy him out??

You don’t need 10 mil. Have Schiano take less his first two years and then ramp him up ... in the meantime, ash will find a coordinator job somewhere that will erase another 1m or more

I agree that Ash must go asap. But Schiano would be a mistake. He would be better than Flood and Ash but is that the bar we are trying to set?

We need to once and for all pony up and hire an established head coaching with a track record of winning and pay him. No more taking chances on the up and coming hot assistant coach.
agree to a large extent but he would definitely create buzz, has established contacts, can sell his hisotry, and would definitely be a favorite of the media and NJ HS coaches. tough call and everyone knows I was ready for him to leave as he has a ceiling but I am wavering....lol

Reactions: KevH
agree to a large extent but he would definitely create buzz, has established contacts, can sell his hisotry, and would definitely be a favorite of the media and NJ HS coaches. tough call and everyone knows I was ready for him to leave as he has a ceiling but I am wavering....lol

And besides, who else would possibly want to step into this mess?

1. Many coaches could be a great DC with Ohio State players.
2. He was the co-Defensive Coordinator.

You don’t need 10 mil. Have Schiano take less his first two years and then ramp him up ... in the meantime, ash will find a coordinator job somewhere that will erase another 1m or more
And instead of giving him a home near the campus, they give him a home in Keasby.

No one is paying Ash $1M/yr to be their DC. Do you realize how few coordinators make $1M? At most, Ash would get $500K/yr, so we'd be on the hook for $1.7M-$2M/yr after the offset. Our BOGs would never approve that, and we have no donors that would put up that kind of buyout $ because they like Ash and pay for tangible things not buyouts.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Need an offensive minded coach, if we ever expect to compete. Score points and things will improve. Yes, 145 points in 3 games is also a big concern.... overhaul is needed hope Hobbs can make this decision soon.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
If we haven’t, we seem on the verge of hitting bottom. We aren’t competitive on the field. We don’t seem to have any real recruiting momentum. And our coach doesn’t seem to have much hope to offer either the fans, current players or recruits. Mealey mouthed phrases like being in a position to make a bowl game?

We’ve been there, Chris. Bowls were regular here. You make it sound like it is some unachievable plateau. For you, maybe it is.

Not a good position.

So, we are in a worse position now than when he took over. And there does not appear to be any real prospect of improvement.

Other than the very imposing $10mm, not a lot of reasons to keep him, I think. Either way, you’re talking about 2-3years to improve to respectability and I don’t see any reason to think Ash has a clue how to execute. Better to have someone new who can sell a vision. What does Ash have to sell?

If there were a way to stomach / absorb his contract, it would be time to consider a complete redo.

The perfect candidate would be someone who has NJ roots, is/was a head coach, knows how to build a program and understands what it takes to win at a school like RU. Why look for another Schiano when we can simple hire him.

I never thought Schiano would come back but now is the time. After the Tennessee situation he has to know that he isn’t getting a top job. Also, our program is so bad now that getting us back to 6-6 or 7–5 in a few years would easily give him the platform to go get one of the big jobs he really wants.

No one is paying Ash $1M/yr to be their DC. Do you realize how few coordinators make $1M? At most, Ash would get $500K/yr, so we'd be on the hook for $1.7M-$2M/yr after the offset. Our BOGs would never approve that, and we have no donors that would put up that kind of buyout $ because they like Ash and pay for tangible things not buyouts.

No I’m saying ash would find a coordinator job making between 500-700k, but over 2-3 years it would subtract 1m-1.5m off the buyout .
He’s definitely not getting a premier coordinator position

No I’m saying ash would find a coordinator job making between 500-700k, but over 2-3 years it would subtract 1m-1.5m off the buyout .
He’s definitely not getting a premier coordinator position
Gotcha. That's peanuts so we aren't firing him.

Chris Partridge would take 500k for the first 2 years while we’re buying out Ash (2020,2021). Ash would also have found another job by then so that would alleviate costs. It’s the only way out of this mess - and I believe we’d come out winners

Agreed. But Greg is not coming back. Bring in a qualified and proven HC and pay them the damn money!

What options does GS have at this point? I can’t see him getting another P5 job in the near future after what happened with UT. I don’t see him happy long-term as a college coordinator even at a top program. He was doing that at Miami almost 20 years ago. Also, tOSU passed him over as interim HC during Meyer’s suspension. He couldn’t be happy about that. The reality is that both RU football and GS are damaged goods right now.

Chris Partridge would take 500k for the first 2 years while we’re buying out Ash (2020,2021). Ash would also have found another job by then so that would alleviate costs. It’s the only way out of this mess - and I believe we’d come out winners

Partridge? Stop it. Just stop it.

We need a leader of the RU Football Program.
Ash is no leader. Ash couldn’t lead a bunch of drunken soldiers into a French whorehouse.

Barchi is not hiring GS as the HC. We don't need GS, we need a guy like we just saw on the opposing sideline. That guy wins wherever he goes at any level of football, he would win here as well.

Reactions: Pils86
ADVERTISEMENT