ADVERTISEMENT

Ash must go

What options does GS have at this point? I can’t see him getting another P5 job in the near future after what happened with UT. I don’t see him happy long-term as a college coordinator even at a top program. He was doing that at Miami almost 20 years ago. Also, tOSU passed him over as interim HC during Meyer’s suspension. He couldn’t be happy about that. The reality is that both RU football and GS are damaged goods right now.
I agree that Rutgers and Schiano are damaged goods right now. But why do you and others look at Schiano as the panacea for our program? He was a proven mediocre at best game day coach. He left us high and dry and took all of the best assistants with him. He made a statement this past summer AFTER the Tennessee debacle that he did not want to come back, so why hang on to a guy who doesn't really want to be here? I can assure you if he has a chance to coach at another school or even be a DC in the NFL he will take it over Rutgers. Yes, we accomplished some nice things under him, but he never led us to the promised land and when he could have if he stayed he bailed for the NFL (I would too btw) for owners who are known to be terrible at hiring coaches. I would like to see a proven winner. An innovative winner. Let's stop looking at Schiano as some sort of savior. He's not.

What options does GS have at this point? I can’t see him getting another P5 job in the near future after what happened with UT. I don’t see him happy long-term as a college coordinator even at a top program. He was doing that at Miami almost 20 years ago. Also, tOSU passed him over as interim HC during Meyer’s suspension. He couldn’t be happy about that. The reality is that both RU football and GS are damaged goods right now.
Perfect together...

Ash will convince Hobbs that he needs 5 years of HIS recruit s in program. Probably a rift between his guys and Floods guys on locker room, Wouldn't surprise me

There really is nothing to discuss. Failure at all levels. Do it before this program gets buried in an abyss

Bring back Greg. This has to be done
I'm done until we get a big name coach We will not be able to win nor will we be able to recruit

These coaching contracts are insane in their makeup. It’s mind blowing that someone can’t be fired for being absolutely shit at their job without paying them millions for being a failure!!!

If any of us, Union workers excluded, were this bad at our job we’d be out on our asses yesterday. Yet we’re going to be held hostage for two more years while we win 1 or 2 games a season? That’s just crazy.

Fire the guy and refuse to pay him because he was shit at his job. Let him sue. Tie it up in court till we get our full share of Big Ten money then pay the clown.

Ash is just terrible. Bad recruiter. Bad coach. Poor coaching staff, even after getting do over after do over. No fire, aggressiveness or passion. Mismanages personnel. Eradicated any little bit of tradition we had. Had fans not revolted, we wouldn't even have the horse video back or kept the knight pulse. He's alienated fans and alumni, but at least the few big donors like him.

Why did they extend this loser? Why? He proved nothing. You don’t extend + pray. Idiot who did this should be fired as well.
I think we all know why Ash was extended. Hobbs said, on many occasions, Ash gave him the best job interview he ever had. Hobbs has to share in this mess! Too many amateurs running NJ!

Reactions: redking
Like a bunch of others in this thread I'd like to see Ash go, but don't want Schiano. At some point I would want to dig deeper in the numbers but anecdotally it seems his teams get killed by spread option teams, both at OSU and when he was here. Most teams are running some version of that now and I'm not sure if he's adapted enough. Sure Schiano's defenses have generally been good, but I think he's gotten by with having more talent lately rather then scheme.

We need someone innovative and preferably with an offensive background. Both college and NFL have focused their recent rules toward protecting players which has opened up offensive opportunities.

It's also imperative that the new coach understand modern strategy and game theory. The first question they should ask in the interview is if they would punt or go for it on 4th and anything on the opponents 40 yard line. At the very least they should get some of the top minds in the Math and Economics departments to help out the coaches with in game decisions like the Eagles do.

Yep I'm in. Schiano is probably the only coach with D1 head coaching experience who would consider coming here. His market value is low after the Tennessee debacle and he might even consider it. No he wasn't a great game day coach. No, he didn't have players arrested for burglary or credit card fraud. No, he actually could bring in a recruiting class higher than #40. And he actually had charisma enough to close with recruits. Bring him back, I'm on board.

Like a bunch of others in this thread I'd like to see Ash go, but don't want Schiano. At some point I would want to dig deeper in the numbers but anecdotally it seems his teams get killed by spread option teams, both at OSU and when he was here. Most teams are running some version of that now and I'm not sure if he's adapted enough. Sure Schiano's defenses have generally been good, but I think he's gotten by with having more talent lately rather then scheme.

We need someone innovative and preferably with an offensive background. Both college and NFL have focused their recent rules toward protecting players which has opened up offensive opportunities.

It's also imperative that the new coach understand modern strategy and game theory. The first question they should ask in the interview is if they would punt or go for it on 4th and anything on the opponents 40 yard line. At the very least they should get some of the top minds in the Math and Economics departments to help out the coaches with in game decisions like the Eagles do.

I do recommend that you look into schiano’s numbers vs the spread. I’ve done it and he wasn’t nearly as bad as we like to believe here. He had a few bad games against wvu and Cinci in years where those teams were excellent- not to mention they were two of the best spread teams of the 2000’s. He also at times held spread teams to their lowest scoring totals of the season.
I would trust him with our defense and not think twice about it

Reactions: RU-Nation
If by some miracle we get rid of Ash after (during?) the season I definitely would love to see a guy with some charisma. The youngsters say Juice, Stain, or Electric these days but whatever you want to call it the next coach has to have some personality and not look like he’s getting an enema on the sideline.

I agree that Ash must go asap. But Schiano would be a mistake. He would be better than Flood and Ash but is that the bar we are trying to set?

We need to once and for all pony up and hire an established head coaching with a track record of winning and pay him. No more taking chances on the up and coming hot assistant coach.
I'm not crazy about the idea of Schiano coming back, but right now, we just need someone who's guaranteed to stop the bleeding. Who else can we get that you could say that about?

I'm not crazy about the idea of Schiano coming back, but right now, we just need someone who's guaranteed to stop the bleeding. Who else can we get that you could say that about?
I have nothing anymore to say to my "bring back Schiano" friends.

I agree that Rutgers and Schiano are damaged goods right now. But why do you and others look at Schiano as the panacea for our program? He was a proven mediocre at best game day coach. He left us high and dry and took all of the best assistants with him. He made a statement this past summer AFTER the Tennessee debacle that he did not want to come back, so why hang on to a guy who doesn't really want to be here? I can assure you if he has a chance to coach at another school or even be a DC in the NFL he will take it over Rutgers. Yes, we accomplished some nice things under him, but he never led us to the promised land and when he could have if he stayed he bailed for the NFL (I would too btw) for owners who are known to be terrible at hiring coaches. I would like to see a proven winner. An innovative winner. Let's stop looking at Schiano as some sort of savior. He's not.
honestly, who in their right mind wants to coach here unless your paying 5+ million. greg is the only coach that might come bur i doubt it. after the ash era the rebuild will take many years and big$$$$$$$

One problem with GS coming back: would he be interested ? I get the sense it's "been there done that (rebuild, dealing with RU's administrative bureaucracy, the Star Ledger, etc, etc), not interested"

Schiano isn't high on my list but I never blamed him for leaving or taking the assistants. He did whatever was best for him and that's fine by me.

Thing is people here somehow see things in a vacuum concerning him. Like he's going to have B10 resources while competing in the BE/AAC. No that's not reality. In the BE were probably near the top of the conference concerning resources, infrastructure, recruiting grounds,etc...and we had problems.

Now yes we are getting more resources than we ever had in the BE/AAC but we will be in the bottom tier of the conference regardless. So you can't say well he's got the B10 to sell, we'll have more money etc...it doesn't matter we're still going to be in the bottom tier with regards to all of it in the B10. There's a disconnect in the thinking and I'm not sure why some don't see that.

On top of which it would also depend on how evolved he is on offense now in his time away. If he's the same I definitely don't want him. Offense is key along with a mediocre defense for a school of our status. I'm wary of just how evolved he is because of this current McNulty hire because I wonder where McNulty came from as I don't think he and Ash had any prior connection. I wonder if Schiano might not have given a friendly suggestion to Ash through their OSU connection similar to how Bob Shoop ended up on Moorhead's staff although they never worked at PSU together. So if that be the case I'm not sure Schiano's evolved all that much on offense and would disqualify him IMO.

Frankly any coach who doesn't have some strong offensive influence in their careers would likely be disqualified for me. It has to be someone who will go with a spread and has the acumen or connections to implement it but won't totally disregard defense as well.

Reactions: RU MAN
Consider regional cultural bias. Need Jersey/Northeast recruiting connections and regional culture understanding to recruit. Flood and Schiano had it. Graber did OK too. Shea tried with California JUCO. Ash using 1yr Grad transfers, JUCOs, and Iowa/Ohio kids.
Indiana and Purdue can't get the best in Midwest why would they come here then????
Hire local coaches with relationships in region, recruit local! Schiano and Flood seemed to get a lot of guys from South Jersey, what happened?

Reactions: TonyVolt
Consider regional cultural bias. Need Jersey/Northeast recruiting connections and regional culture understanding to recruit. Flood and Schiano had it. Graber did OK too. Shea tried with California JUCO. Ash using 1yr Grad transfers, JUCOs, and Iowa/Ohio kids.
Indiana and Purdue can't get the best in Midwest why would they come here then????
Hire local coaches with relationships in region, recruit local! Schiano and Flood seemed to get a lot of guys from South Jersey, what happened?
I don't need the local ties, coaches coach all over the country and succeed and fail regardless. Some local coaches fail in their regions where they have a background too. It's a bonus if you can get it but it's secondary IMO.

But if it's something that is so important to some then a name I've mentioned is Mike Elko. Defensive coach but some solid offensive influences in his career like Clawson at WF, Brian Kelly at ND and now Fisher at A&M. Hopefully that would lead him in the direction of a spread and he's done some solid work on defense doing more with less specifically his time at WF. That's what made him a hotter commodity for Kelly and then Fisher. I'd like to see how he does this year at A&M.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1coastalknight
I'm no GS fan but you guys are missing the point. It's akin to your heart stopping and you need an immediate adrenaline shot. GS would have an immediate impact with buzz, media, HS coaches, recruits because he can sell success. Now the level of the success can be debated but no doubt, he comes back and $hit changes asap.

again, no fan of GS as I think he's not a very gameday coach and hate his idiosyncrasies but recruiting pics up day 1

Ash is just terrible. Bad recruiter. Bad coach. Poor coaching staff, even after getting do over after do over. No fire, aggressiveness or passion. Mismanages personnel. Eradicated any little bit of tradition we had. Had fans not revolted, we wouldn't even have the horse video back or kept the knight pulse. He's alienated fans and alumni, but at least the few big donors like him.

Hobbs will clearly give Ash the rest of this year to turn things around.

But what does Ash need to do to be coaching at RU in 2019? Seems like a long shot that this season can be turned around. Improvement in all areas seems unlikely.

But what does Ash need to do to be coaching at RU in 2019? Seems like a long shot that this season can be turned around. Improvement in all areas seems unlikely.
The $ is too great for us to buy him out so he's here as long as he wants to be, regardless of performance and results. We wouldn't buy out 1 yr of a $140K-$160K soccer coach and people think our BOGs would approve a $7M-$9M buyout?

Reactions: Jimpeg
Ash is here for at least 18 months, unless Wis, Pen State, Mich, and Mich State each run the score in the 80 or over 100. Then i think that will be the last straw.

Improvement? I’m agraid to see what everything looks like if we tank to another level, or two. Players totally give up by the time we play the Wisconsin Michigan Penn St. Michigan St series. Might get uglier than we imagine

The only way he's gone is if he bows out like Gary Anderson, or a scandal forces him out like Petrino.

Ash is here for at least 18 months, unless Wis, Pen State, Mich, and Mich State each run the score in the 80 or over 100. Then i think that will be the last straw.
IF Ash fails to win another game or posts blow out Score losses the rest of the way hes fired or he resigns with a buyout at seasons end.Prediction.
Hobbs may have to face a stark reality that money he has earmarked for weight rooms and other projects that were donated,he may now have to go to those donors and ask to use that money for ASH BUYOUT.

honestly, who in their right mind wants to coach here unless your paying 5+ million. greg is the only coach that might come bur i doubt it. after the ash era the rebuild will take many years and big$$$$$$$
Ware, if it was Greg, we're looking at $4 million per at the very least.

Schiano might not get the type of interest from P-5 College programs we might think he would be getting.
Rutgers might be considered ( again) a graveyard for up and coming college coaches ( mid-major HC or top coordinators) and the pickings will be slim if Hobbs wants to dump Ash after this season is completed if he won't pay the going rate.

Schiano would be great PR for Rutgers while hiring him might be a bad one for other schools and he would bring excitement back to the program and increase season ticket sales.
He'd bring instant creditability to RU FB since it's back to being a joke again ( or close to that).
But Schiano's game day coaching is suspect, so he should be offered what Ash is making and contract up when Ash's contract would have been.
Incentives( attendance, academics, players behavior and W-L record ) could pad his salary if goals accomplished and not easy ones his first couple of years.

Hobbs needs make Rutgers a respected program again, Schiano might need an HC position more than we think he will and Rutgers might be a win-win for him and Hobbs that way.
I wasn't for bring Greg back, but can't see very many qualified candidates for 2019 with the salary for a HC and staff RU would be willing to pay after buying out Ash. Greg might be willing to come and to rationalize his making less than the going rate, he could say he feels a debt to Rutgers and still loves the school and being able to live in Jersey full time.

ADVERTISEMENT