ADVERTISEMENT

Ash Recruiting Trend

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
I know I'll probably get ripped apart for mentioning this, but I thought it was worth noting. The number of guys who we've landed or are close to landing with Ivy, service academy, and other "smart school" offers is something that has been nice to see. First the commits:

CJ Onyechi - Air Force, Army, Navy, Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell all offered
Owen Bowles - Army, Colgate, Dartmouth, Lehigh, Navy, Yale, UVA all offered
Jonathan Taylor - Army, Harvard, Navy, Yale all offered

Now onto the potential commits:
Marcus Valdez - Army, Bucknell, Colgate, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Navy, UPenn, Yale all offered
Tyshon Fogg - Army, Duke, Stanford all offered

Rich also just put out an article on Brendan Bordner, a 3* DE from Ohio who it looks like we're in good position to land. His offer list includes Air Force, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Navy, UPenn, Princeton, Vanderbilt, and Yale.

IIRC ash is on record stating the recruiting strategy in year 1 will be slightly different than it will be down the line in years 2, 3, 4 etc in order to build the culture.

It is nice that we are getting these student athletes with offers from Ivy schools to help change the culture. But in order to win he is going to have to beat out the Stanford, UM of the world as well.

cicero: agree, but based on his body of work so far (staff assembly, camp wars, 2017 class thus far, inroads with the HS coaches, etc.), I think he has earned some patience

Reactions: RURod and MikeR0102
Of course you're always going to want the Micah Clark's and Bo Melton's of the world, but at this point we're just not going to fill a class with guys like that so settling for intelligent kids who are also pretty solid football players is the best option.

I think a lot of it has to do with that a lot of the best players in NJ are also very smart this year. Win win.

Reactions: ruready07
If we can emulate Stanford successes on & off the field I'd be perfectly happy (other than the current issue obviously).

Reactions: Ataylor1989x
The heck with high character kids! Let's take some flyers on gang bangers (yea, gang issues are non-existent in this day and age) with some skills! Some will pan out and some will take a few more down with them. Just ensure the right mix of "aligned" or "cooperative" gang members. Almost worked for Kyle. Just a little bad intel from his crack staff.

"Culture" way over-rated.

The heck with high character kids! Let's take some flyers on gang bangers (yea, gang issues are non-existent in this day and age) with some skills! Some will pan out and some will take a few more down with them. Just ensure the right mix of "aligned" or "cooperative" gang members. Almost worked for Kyle. Just a little bad intel from his crack staff.

"Culture" way over-rated.
I really hope you're kidding. I'm fairly new to this board and am not confident about who the wiseasses are.

Reactions: gringo
ADVERTISEMENT