ADVERTISEMENT

Ash's first BIG win - 22 months?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Is that what we are looking at? 22 months after he was hired to get a confernce win.
For those that want to cite that we are playing with flood's duds and these players stink that's fine and may be true. But 22 months until you get a confernce win? That's absurd.

Not a chance. We're not getting a B1G win in 2017. Theoretically it's possible we'll win 15 games next year, but we're realistically going to be monumentally bad.

No its not absurd, don't you understand Flood left him nothing to work with except walk-ons. He is dong a great job, the man is dealing with sub-par Patriot League talent. Please, just stop, the narrative during this off season is talent, not coaching, get with the program.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Is that what we are looking at? 22 months after he was hired to get a confernce win.
For those that want to cite that we are playing with flood's duds and these players stink that's fine and may be true. But 22 months until you get a confernce win? That's absurd.

Mike MacIntyre went 2-25 in the Pac12 his first 3 years. He's 1 half away from playing for the Pac12 championship.

Barry Alvarez and Kirk Ferentz both went 0-8 in the conference their first year. They both won the B1G Championshp in their fourth year.

Plum street. You hated ash at first. Then over the summer you loved him and said you were wrong. Now you hate him again. You flip flop all the time.

Superfan,
I never hated ash. Made a smashed with ash post the day of the hire and got killed here. I bought into news in the offseason with changing the culture and such. But i am very concerned with what I saw once we started playing games . I think most objective fans are . I really hope the problem lies with just flood's duds and upgraded talent changes that in a couple years.

Not a chance. We're not getting a B1G win in 2017. Theoretically it's possible we'll win 15 games next year, but we're realistically going to be monumentally bad.
2018 will be our first B1G Win and we get to 4 wins overall.
2019 we should be close to 5 wins.
2020 maybe 6 wins... If we can keep 1AA and two FBS bottom dwellers on the schedule .

Last edited:
2018 will be our first B1G Win and we get to 4 wins overall.
2019 we should be close to 5 wins.
Sounds about right. Somehow our fans think one 30-something ranked class will dramatically change the on the field results.

No its not absurd, don't you understand Flood left him nothing to work with except walk-ons. He is dong a great job, the man is dealing with sub-par Patriot League talent. Please, just stop, the narrative during this off season is talent, not coaching, get with the program.

Wrong ! RU had recruiting Classes over the last 5 years ranked higher than Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue.
Sub Patriot league level... Are you frick'n on drugs ? Don't let facts get you confused:
2012= #24
2013= 52
2014= 53
2015= 61
2016= 66

Wrong ! RU had recruiting Classes over the last 5 years ranked higher than Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue.
Sub Patriot league level... Are you frick'n on drugs ? Don't let facts get you confused:
2012= #24
2013= 52
2014= 53
2015= 61
2016= 66
How many of them are still with the program?

Reactions: Block R
Mike MacIntyre went 2-25 in the Pac12 his first 3 years. He's 1 half away from playing for the Pac12 championship.

Barry Alvarez and Kirk Ferentz both went 0-8 in the conference their first year. They both won the B1G Championshp in their fourth year.

MacIntyre replaced a Colorado HC who was fired after 2 seasons.
He actually went 4-8 in his first year. This after Colorado had gone 1-11 in 2012, the year before MacIntyre arrived. He had done a great job in Year One.

Can't take the facts can you.
All programs have athlete turnover. Classes that were ranked below RU ( Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana) are doing better than RU this year. The first 3 have new or interim Head Coaches.
Unreal.[/QUOTE we lost 10-12 players and Janerion Grant due to injury. We have a new coach with new system. We played the number 2,3,5,and 10 teams in the country.
Do you have any clue what it takes to be successful at this level?

Reactions: Debtbubble
2012= #24
2013= 52
2014= 53
2015= 61
2016= 66

Have you always had trouble understanding sarcasm?

Reactions: Hubcityknights
2012= #24
2013= 52
2014= 53
2015= 61
2016= 66

Ok I will give you the rankings. How many of those kids are still on the roster? The issue isn't the ranking it is how many kids bailed on the team or got in trouble.

Reactions: rurichdog
Ok I will give you the rankings. How many of those kids are still on the roster? The issue isn't the ranking it is how many kids bailed on the team or got in trouble.
Or remained on the team but weren't properly developed (on or off the field) during the Flood years. Of course our current coaches aren't infallible but we've got posters with "#1fan" and "forLife" in their handles evidently ready to bail after one lousy season.

I can tell this is going to be a long offseason but I urge you to go back and listen to Ash's introductory press conference when he speaks about creating positive energy around the program. While winning is the easiest way to do that, recruiting stud athletes who can come in and help us compete with the powerhouses in this conference in the coming years is the next best thing. Ash needs to close out this class strong with a few more high school stars and supplement with a few JUCOs and/or grad transfers to plug holes. Spending the entire offseason sh!tting on this program because your expectations were wildly unrealistic or because we won 2 games instead of the 4 or 5 "we should have" based on some silly preseason prediction isn't going to help the cause. Give the man a chance to do his job and realize this is a full rebuild that will take 3+ seasons. In the meantime, enjoy the progress made along the way starting with the 2017 recruiting class.

We had an entire thread on this a few weeks back. For instance, that #61 in 2015 includes Marques Ford who is in the news and no longer with the program. Would you like to recalculate that ranking without Ford? There are dozens of other examples, I'll let you bash the signing day lists with Dr. Google on where they are now.

We are going to be one young team next year. There will be true freshman and sophomores all over that field. Might not be disciplined, but it should be faster. Gulp, I hope.

2012= #24
2013= 52
2014= 53
2015= 61
2016= 66

2016's class was ranked 78th.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You have to realize something: many of our posters live in a Rutgers Football "vacuum" and have no clue as to the realities of the entire college football world.

Reactions: knightfan7
Ash's first BIG win was against the 1aa Howard Bison.

Great Victory! Keep it Up! [thumb2]

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You have to realize something: many of our posters live in a Rutgers Football "vacuum" and have no clue as to the realities of the entire college football world.

Yes Nuts. It's something I've been saying for years.

Even if you don't follow the college football world, then just look at the RU "vacuum". The God Schiano went 8-27 his first 3 years including it taking 34, yes 34 months to win his 1st Big East game. He also didn't have to play 4 of the top 8 teams in the country his first year.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Yeah only terrible coaches can't win conference (or confernce as OP calls it) games in December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, or August...

Last edited:
Haha this is a great thread on people that refuse to budge on their stance.

Ash could have had between 4-7 wins this year if everything went right. He chose to stink this year to put in his system.

Next year will be the same stink or even worse unless Oden or Lewis become POY candidates. As John O has said we may have two dozen freshmen and redshirt freshmen on the two deep.

If this 2017 class sticks or gets better then the 2018 season will be our first conference win. If the 2018 class is the same or better than the 2017 class then the 2019 season will be our first shot at a bowl.

This is how I see it. If too many people here can't except that then maybe we should fire him now. I am willing to wait and see.

Haha this is a great thread on people that refuse to budge on their stance.

Ash could have had between 4-7 wins this year if everything went right. He chose to stink this year to put in his system.

Next year will be the same stink or even worse unless Oden or Lewis become POY candidates. As John O has said we may have two dozen freshmen and redshirt freshmen on the two deep.

If this 2017 class sticks or gets better then the 2018 season will be our first conference win. If the 2018 class is the same or better than the 2017 class then the 2019 season will be our first shot at a bowl.

This is how I see it. If too many people here can't except that then maybe we should fire him now. I am willing to wait and see.

this is classic case of what ails this program

No reason to have to wait and way way too many ifs here.

Yes Nuts. It's something I've been saying for years.

Even if you don't follow the college football world, then just look at the RU "vacuum". The God Schiano went 8-27 his first 3 years including it taking 34, yes 34 months to win his 1st Big East game. He also didn't have to play 4 of the top 8 teams in the country his first year.

wow...continue to compare what GS inherited and what Ash inherited serves nothing than to make you look foolish

If we win 3 games next year I'll be shocked

wow...continue to compare what GS inherited and what Ash inherited serves nothing than to make you look foolish

If we win 3 games next year I'll be shocked

Greg didn't inherit the schedule that Ash did either. If that's foolish then ok, I'm foolish.

I'll take your prediction for what it's worth.....zero. No one knows what will happen here or to RU's opponents between now and September. That is the only fact here.

ADVERTISEMENT