ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic ability of this team

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Have only been following RU Women's BB for the past 10 or 12 yrs., but this team is clearly the most athletic in that period IMO. Fast, quick, leapers, coordinated. Wondering what long time followers takes are going back even farther?
This post was edited on 1/26 2:12 PM by rudad02

Have to agree with you. Kahleah and Tyler have moves which I don't ever recall seeing from RU players in the past. Mater Ajavon played very fast but Kahleah can get to the hoop from almost anywhere on the court and get off a shot ( not always a great one but often enough). Piph's had a way of getting herself good shots as well. But Tyler seems to be able to score from anywhere. Just watched the TV broadcast of the Minn game and they had a sequence where they showed her scoring from 3' with a mid range jumper and after taking a great pass from Bri, driving to score a sweet lefty layup.

Hmm.

I'm not sure what the definition of "athletic" is, but any team with Matee, Essence, Kia and Piph on it has to be in the running. A lot of people wouldn't have thought of Essence as athletic because her role on the team was not to score, but her long WNBA career tells you all you need to know.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
Hmm.

I'm not sure what the definition of "athletic" is, but any team with Matee, Essence, Kia and Piph on it has to be in the running. A lot of people wouldn't have thought of Essence as athletic because her role on the team was not to score, but her long WNBA career tells you all you need to know.
BeK - certainly don't mean to put down those players but Essence was more "smooth and Graceful" and Kia was stronger than most post players. In my mind, athletic means quick, great leaping ability and the ability to slice to the basket. Piph was quite athletic and Tyler compares very favorably. Kahleah is in another category with her speed, her leaping ability (she takes the center jump quite frequently).

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
Hmm.

They were all much larger framed than Kahleah, Tyler, Betnijah, and Rachel

Although Rachel and Kia very similar in size.

I do think Kahleah and Tyler/Briyona are faster than Matee and Essence though.

And Shrita Parker is FAST. So fast. she gets beat during box outs but you'll see her behind whoever brings the ball up for the opposing team and bam she's in front of her.

Syessence has some of the quickest hands on defense I've ever seen. How she ties up or even just takes the ball away from some of the other ball handlers is amazing.

Great question

Matee was the fastest player I have ever seen.

Essie has the fastest hands since Eddie Jordan.

When I first saw Copper as a freshman, she came off the bench , drove to the basket, double pumped, and layed it in. I told my daughter that girls should not be able to do that. she is unique and I love watching her..did you see her sky for that rebound? incredible.

Cappie was the best guard. Perfect for CVS half court game. Fool around till 5 seconds, give it to Cappie to create a shot. Unstoppable.

Sue Wicks is in a Class by herself. Completely dominated the game on both sides from the forward position.

Tyler can be the next Piph. She just needs another foot of range for the three pointer. She is getting there.

Kia and Tammy Sutton Brown get my vote for most athletic Centers. Kia for her ruggedness and Tammy for her grace. Rachel has the tools but still can't finish. Hope she makes progress with her vision. She blocks shots with the best..

Other than Sue, Laney may be the bestt rebounding forward I have ever seen. She reminds me of Shawnetta with her determination and grit.

This years team is the most fun to watch in a long time. CVS has them playing hard D but a wide open offense (relatively speaking). If Hernandez learns a bit more defense, she will get more opportunity to shoot the opponents out of the zone,, and then the fun begins.

Originally posted by MSRU71:
Great question

Matee was the fastest player I have ever seen.

Essie has the fastest hands since Eddie Jordan.

When I first saw Copper as a freshman, she came off the bench , drove to the basket, double pumped, and layed it in. I told my daughter that girls should not be able to do that. she is unique and I love watching her..did you see her sky for that rebound? incredible.

Cappie was the best guard. Perfect for CVS half court game. Fool around till 5 seconds, give it to Cappie to create a shot. Unstoppable.

Sue Wicks is in a Class by herself. Completely dominated the game on both sides from the forward position.

Tyler can be the next Piph. She just needs another foot of range for the three pointer. She is getting there.

Kia and Tammy Sutton Brown get my vote for most athletic Centers. Kia for her ruggedness and Tammy for her grace. Rachel has the tools but still can't finish. Hope she makes progress with her vision. She blocks shots with the best..

Other than Sue, Laney may be the bestt rebounding forward I have ever seen. She reminds me of Shawnetta with her determination and grit.

This years team is the most fun to watch in a long time. CVS has them playing hard D but a wide open offense (relatively speaking). If Hernandez learns a bit more defense, she will get more opportunity to shoot the opponents out of the zone,, and then the fun begins.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, especially MSRU71 for that comprensive treatment. Sounds like there can be a case for this group to be collectively called the most "athletic". MSRU71 your description of Cooper going to the hoop reminded me that " body control" probably should have been included in with the traits I enumerated re: athletic ability. Cooper certainly has it as you pointed out to your daughter.

Copper.....
wink.r191677.gif

Redshoes, chill. My comment was a comment of complete awe of Copper's speed, body control and being fearless. It was taken as such by almost all that have heard it. It's like the announcer who complimented this team by saying they play like the men with regard to their athletic ability. It was not too long ago the folks said that the girls will never dunk the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT