ADVERTISEMENT

Atrocious Team Leadership

Paul has proven to be a bit of a headcase… sadly, he’s a good kid.
I love the guy but not this player. He can move on too. I thought he would have figured it out 2-3 games ago. Honestly as much as I like these kids I am hoping we get a bunch of turnover for next year. Players that don't need a coach to tell them how to play on offense. Cause we don't have one of those.

Reactions: SBP
While I have never met either personally I know a number of people who have met both paul and Caleb and ALL have universally talked about what good kids they are

So it pains me to agree

However I do wonder if either is really capable of being such a leader

For example Caleb has always been an important cog - but he has always been just that - a cog. Is it asking too much to expect him to be the leader just because he’s the oldest?

And similar with paul - other than those two weeks (was it last year?) when he was all-world - he VERY RARELY takes over games. Probably his talent level but is what it is

So I guess the question is - should we really be disappointed if they didn’t really have it in them to start?

Just putting that out there

—-

However with that said - BOTH have made a NUMBER of costly bone-headed plays this year and THAT is inexcusable regardless of talent level

Last edited:
They wanted the ball. Nobody on this team does.
Geo had the same issue not taking the ball inside, getting to the line, being inconsistent, and not rebounding, plus making bonehead plays.
He may have wanted the ball but go look up the stats. (including the game by game ones)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
PM as point guard is in a unique position to control games, yet he refuses to do so. He rarely dictates pace and rarely creates anymore. He has the ball in his hands every possession yet has barely positively impacted the game offensively in last 5 games. I’m not sure how this happens. It’s so patently obvious; the last several years, when he is breaking down defenses and controlling pace of play, RU tends to be in a great position to win. I assumed he’d recognize this by now. I guess 5 years isn’t enough to figure it out.

Paul and Caleb are Robins and not Batmen like Ron/Geo were. Plain and simple. Paul would open up so much of the team if he wanted to be an alpha and tried to score which would open up the passing lanes for him. His almost inexplicable refusal to be a threat to score is a detriment to the team at this point.

Called it a few games back when opponents were getting into Paul’s head and he was short circuiting. He has been and will continue to be DESTROYED by conference teams.

Reactions: Rokodesh
While I have never met either personally I know a number of people who have met both paul and Caleb and ALL have universally talked about what good kids they are

So it pains me to agree

However I do wonder if either is really capable of being such a leader

For example Caleb has always been an important cog - but he has always been just that - a cog. Is it asking too much to expect him to be the leader just because he’s the oldest?

And similar with paul - other than those two weeks (was it last year?) when he was all-world - he VERY RARELY takes over games. Probably his talent level but is what it is

So I guess the question is - should we really be disappointed if they didn’t really have it in them to start?

Just putting that out there

—-

However with that said - BOTH have made a NUMBER of costly bone-headed plays this year and THAT is inexcusable regardless of talent level
I agree with this. It’s not that they are bad leaders, just not good enough to be the “guy” in crunch time. Good role players

I agree with this. It’s not that they are bad leaders, just not good enough to be the “guy” in crunch time. Good role players

Yeah that kinda what I’m getting at .

I mean Caleb is obviously a huge piece of the puzzle with his defense but he has NEVER been “the guy” on offense. But all of sudden we should be “disappointed in his lack of leadership” if he doesn’t suddenly morph into RHJ?

I think a better case can be made about paul - I read a very persuasive post (in this thread?) about how much better our offense runs when paul takes control of the offense - ie not necessarily about him scoring but how the offense flowing through him makes our offense much better and he seems to go away from that. I think that’s probably a more legit criticism than expecting Caleb to carry the team in some way

And again, not talking about the boneheaded plays (which frustrate me too)

Last edited:
Reactions: Corycord1
You’re confusing scoring with leading. They’re not one and the same. Leaders allow others to be better. They aren’t necessarily “the guy” but they control the game and motivate others to allow someone to be “the guy”. Totally different thing. Frequently the scoring and leading do overlap but they are not the same thing. I’m not looking for CM or PM to lead the team in scoring nightly but to inspire others via their will to play at a higher level. That has definitely not been the case. Cliff and Cam should be RU’s leading scorers typically.

Reactions: goru7
Before the game, Paul exhibited leadership as he was getting the guys motivated. I thought he was extremely focused at beginning of game as well and the wheels fell off after he got stripped of the ball late in first half.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
They wanted the ball. Nobody on this team does.
The roster is composed of complementary type players who lack the shooting skillset. Its not by accident that this team is having such difficulty scoring 60 points and in this game even 50 points.The team gives maximum effort but simply lack the talent when it comes to passing, dribbling and shooting.Rutgers is a over achieving team winning 17 games but also losing four games at the RAC in front of sellout crowds.

I remember Geo and Ron talking to guys on the court and it might just be random memory but I never remember them talking as aggressive or as much as Paul.

Paul straight up talks AT these underclassmen. A lot of words and a lot of the time.

Caleb isn’t a leader just from noticing him how he interacts with guys on the court but I love his court presence in terms of sh*t talking and energy.

Before the game, Paul exhibited leadership as he was getting the guys motivated. I thought he was extremely focused at beginning of game as well and the wheels fell off after he got stripped of the ball late in first half.
He also throws his hands up and looks around every time his guy scores, as if he's looking for someone to blame.

Geo and Ron were just so even keeled, I think that generally pays off in the high stakes situations we were in (needing late game shots, needing a win to make the tourney, etc.).

Paul’s a lot more hot headed, which can be great when you’re up or in one off situations but hurt in others, and Caleb isn’t really the same offensively as those 2 were. Both critical pieces but we’re really missing “the guy(s)”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT