ADVERTISEMENT

Audi club / Graduation snafu

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Most will not care about this post becuase it does not effect you. But sometimes RU drives me crazy.

If you didn't know it starting last year they opened the Audi club for graduation and charged $40 and you got light snacks and soft drinks, bar was extra. worked out great for me since I was with two 90 year olds. This year my son is getting his Masters degree so I reserved 4 seats way before POTUS was announced.

So.... we get and email yesterday saying those tickets are void and we will be reimbursed. BUT if you want three complimentry tickets we needed to email them back right away. We will get those tickets no charge but there will be no food. Huh? Why are they throwing money away with people willing to buy these seats? I can promise you this was done so they can get a bunch of seats for VIP's etc. Ialso have no doubt that they will rope off the area for the VIP's and have food for them. So they screw they families of the students for the politicians that want to screw the University. I guess they could have just said your tickets are cacelled , see you later.

I do undertstand this is a 1 in 250 year event , am I happy that my plans were screwed up no. But go RU.

You're only getting "screwed" in that you are being downgraded from 4 tickets to 3 and in going from paying $40 for a seat and food to $0 for a seat and no food. Not much of a screw job.

The rest is pretty simple. Once they realized they couldn't accommodate feeding every person that they had sold a seat to, they had to refund the money because they weren't living up to their side of the deal. And if, after refunding the money, they offered those same seats for sale but didn't include the food this time, how well do you think that would go over?

I know your pissed and the situation sucks, but really RU has no choice but to suck up to these idiots. They need these doofus'es on their side and a little hob knobbing never hurt. Unfortunate situation, but necessary to appease the imbeciles. If they didn't invite them, they would cry like babies and try to get even like a 10yr. old would. That's simply the mind set of these people, they're all 40 to 70 yr. old adolescent's.

i'm having a little trouble understanding. so you started with seats that cost you money and included food, and ended up with seats that cost you nothing but don't have food?

i'm having a little trouble understanding. so you started with seats that cost you money and included food, and ended up with seats that cost you nothing but don't have food?
Mostly correct. i lost one seat , so i will sit downstairs by myself and my other three family members will sit upstairs. But I only ordered 4 tickets. Some friends ordered 6 and 8 tickets so they really have to re think how they are doing things. Since they thought the actually "reserved" seats by paying for them they thought they were good but not so and they have to tell 3 and 5 people they are no longer going, even though they had reserved paid seats and tickets in hand.

I guess most didn't get my point. RU is always needing money, so why are they giving tickets for free? Someone above posts "they couldn't accommodate feeding every person" Why couldnt they? The club is packed during the season and they have no problem feeding them.

Seems like you are upset because they are enforcing the 3 ticket policy and you thought you beat the system.

$40 X 4 isn't going to put much of a dent in the kind of money Rutgers needs to operate. Chalk it up to the President being in town and turning everything upside down.

Seems like you are upset because they are enforcing the 3 ticket policy and you thought you beat the system.
I give up! It is about the $40,000 - $60,000 RU is losing.

BTW if you had paid for reserved tickets in hand and you were told 8 days before the event you were cancelled I think you might be upset. How was it playing the system? I ordered them befroe POTUS was coming. All the people that were coming in my group are still coming.

BTW if you had paid for reserved tickets in hand and you were told 8 days before the event you were cancelled I think you might be upset. How was it playing the system? I ordered them befroe POTUS was coming. All the people that were coming in my group are still coming.
OK you didn't play the system proactively but I bet you were glad when the 3 ticket announcement was made.

BTW - I think you forgot the cost of the food. You can't feed people that much for $40 and make any amount of money to make it worth it.

Sounds like they are being pretty fair to be honest. It sucks but you get to see the president of the nation speak at your University. There was a time people could put their differences aside and be honored by this and despite my views of O, i still think its a great honor. Just try to remember that instead of the downsides.

I bet if someone screwed up your plans for an event you had purchased tickets for 8 days before it occurs, most here would be pissed. Why are people giving the OP such a hard time?

Reactions: brodo
OK you didn't play the system proactively but I bet you were glad when the 3 ticket announcement was made.

BTW - I think you forgot the cost of the food. You can't feed people that much for $40 and make any amount of money to make it worth it.
Why would I be glad? I just posted all the people i invited are still coming no matter. It isn't like i wanted to bring 10 people. I agreed 100% with RU's policy on having to regulate the number of tickets.

I will say it one last time, I dont understand why RU just wouldn't charge us for the 3 tickets instead of giving them away. I can guess when we get there we wil see an area for us and an area for VIPS who have food.

I bet if someone screwed up your plans for an event you had purchased tickets for 8 days before it occurs, most here would be pissed. Why are people giving the OP such a hard time?
Thank you

Someone above posts "they couldn't accommodate feeding every person" Why couldnt they? The club is packed during the season and they have no problem feeding them.
I'm guessing having the POTUS and resulting security there has changed the day-of operations plans significantly from a typical Saturday football game.

Come on. You don't care about the up to $60K Rutgers is losing. You started it that way to justify your complaint that you're losing a seat and know people losing 5 seats. And that's a legitimate complaint. But the circumstances changed and they had to do what was best for everyone, $60K in additional revenue or not.

Extenuating circumstances of the Presidential visit caused an understandable upheaval and plans had to change. What's not understandable about that? Frankly, I'd be happy to have retained the three seats.

Sometimes you get screwed but other times there are valid reasons why you have to be inconvenienced. This is one of those times.

Wish I were going...

No understanding of food cost, labor cost, admin costs...

No understanding of food cost, labor cost, admin costs...
So I can either give you $40 so you can give me chips and soda ( I was in there last year for graduation) or I can let you sit in the same exact seat for free but no chps and soda and cookies . Let me think of the food cost, labor to but out those chips and put soda cans in bucket of ice, oh and admin costs , oh never mind I am sitting in the same place anyway.

BTW I owned three very successful restaurants.

Extenuating circumstances of the Presidential visit caused an understandable upheaval and plans had to change. What's not understandable about that? Frankly, I'd be happy to have retained the three seats.

Sometimes you get screwed but other times there are valid reasons why you have to be inconvenienced. This is one of those times.

Wish I were going...
understood, wish I had an extra ticket for you, but they took it away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: chase07470
Considering in a normal year graduating students get to bring basically unlimited family it is an issue for everyone. I believe because of the large demand and large graduating class it has been limited to 4 guests per graduating student. But I'm not positive on that just what I've been hearing. Everyone's being affected. It's not the norm and we all have to deal with it. I'll be happy just watching on the live stream since I don't have any family gradusting

Wish I were going...

Oh I understand that circumstances changed. Doesn't mean he has to be happy about it. I would not have been.

What if he was like some of his friends who had 8 or 10 tickets paid for and then they find out a week before that they can't come?

With that said, even though I do not like Obama, I think it's awesome he's coming here.

So I can either give you $40 so you can give me chips and soda ( I was in there last year for graduation) or I can let you sit in the same exact seat for free but no chps and soda and cookies . Let me think of the food cost, labor to but out those chips and put soda cans in bucket of ice, oh and admin costs , oh never mind I am sitting in the same place anyway.

BTW I owned three very successful restaurants.
And if you think represented union staff with benefits don't play a role...if they show up and clock in its costing you 20 bucks an hour.

And if you think represented union staff with benefits don't play a role...if they show up and clock in its costing you 20 bucks an hour.
And my point wasn't that it won't net anything, its that it wasn't the elementary school 40 times x = Profit. Which is what you stated. Being akin to the Batali's and Flay's of the world, you know this.

I don't know...I think having the President of the United States here to speak at commencement, something graduates will remember for the rest of their lives, outweighs the inconveniences some will experience.

I don't know...I think having the President of the United States here to speak at commencement, something graduates will remember for the rest of their lives, outweighs the inconveniences some will experience.
What are your thoughts on the lost revenue on the chips, cookies and soda?

Reactions: RC1978
What are your thoughts on the lost revenue on the chips, cookies and soda?
anigif_enhanced-buzz-32132-1359423770-5.gif

So i am waiting for the athletic dept to notify me that the 4 season tickets I have......will now be free but I only get three....

Seriously sorry to hear plans were altered, but glad they were not outright ruined.

ADVERTISEMENT