ADVERTISEMENT

Aundre Hyatt should be starting over Mag and that is a fact!

I strenuously disagree. As I posted in the other Hyatt thread there is clearly room for both. Mag is the WAY better defender and it's not even close. It was not a coincidence that NWU went on their 14-3 run when Mag wen to the bench with his 4th foul and Hyatt came in. Same for the Iowa game, where Hyatt lost No. 20 on several occasions in the second half leading to big backbreaking threes. Some times we need to sacrifice the D to get Hyatt's instant O off the bench, other times it is much more important to have Mag out there as the straw that stirs the stifling RU defense. Also, let's not forget that even with his stellar D, Mag shoots 45% from the field and Hyatt, whose offense you are touting, shoots only 39.5%. Mag also gets slightly more rebounds in the same minutes. While Hyatt is the better 3-point shooter, he still only shoots 32% from three - hardly a good number for a guy who struggles on defense.
Yet we took and increased the lead in the first half with Hyatt in the game to be fair. And last few games Hyatt has been averaging more rebounds with significantly less playing time. See Iowa. Can’t ignore turnovers or fouls either. Kinda overlooking that it was ultimately Hyatt who dove on that loose ball to help seal the win.

Mag does not even get blocks or steals.

If you’re implying that this suggests that mag isn’t a great defender then this is simply the stupidest post in this site in ages.

If you can’t see the value that mag has on the defense - how he is a one- man press - how ridiculously disruptive he is - than you are truly an idiot .

Now his offense still needs a lot of work. Particularly ball handling and what do on a fast break. But he has improved on that end a bit too. Can make mid range jumpers now, has limited post moves. He didn’t do that previously

But his value on D is undeniable

I agree with others - don’t fix what ain’t broken. Mag/Hyatt will get minutes depending on need (for offense vs defense for example)

Reactions: TRU2RU and motorb54
Yet we took and increased the lead in the first half with Hyatt in the game to be fair. And last few games Hyatt has been averaging more rebounds with significantly less playing time. See Iowa. Can’t ignore turnovers or fouls either. Kinda overlooking that it was ultimately Hyatt who dove on that loose ball to help seal the win.
Instead of wasting time on this never ending circle jerk you like to put everyone through, we'll trust that Pike knows what he's doing in their usage.

I love Hyatt but he’s not a better defender than Mag. They both have different skill sets. Mag is a defender / glue guy. Does the dirty work so others can score. Hyatt is a good all around player that can get a tough basket when we need points. They both have a very important role on the team. Just different.

Against a zone, I’m not crazy about heavy Mag minutes unless we a) figure out another way to use him to help others get open or b) are so good on defense that we are able to score consistently off of turnovers before the zone even gets set.

He did finally hit a 3 last game so maybe he can get going and start to make a few outside shots? Even if they are mid rangers - the point is he has to start hitting enough so that teams get burned by leaving him wide open outside the paint.

Okay then
Comment after comment that Hyatt can’t play D. That Hyatt is one dimensional. We lost our intensity when Hyatt comes in. Or that we are so much better with Mag. We lost the lead when Hyatt was in there. Those comments are fair game

But take a contrary argument that bad things happen when Mag touches the ball in the open court, dribbles or shoots, the turnovers or fouls, you’re called out as a bad fan or unfairly criticizing. Other fans obviously have various opinions hence this string.

That’s not fair or right and you Fluoxetine are the one leading the charge. So lighten up before calling out fans especially for comments on the live game board. Everybody on this board could be called out. It’d make for a very boring board.

I will end my comments on this particular string by quoting Fonseca and the Ledger on Hyatt’s outstanding all around game which btw if he keeps up he very well might become a starter(Fair Comment):

“Pike preached poise and junior guard Aundre Hyatt showed plenty of it by hitting a big three pointer to take the lead. It was the highlight of a 10 point, three point, two assist, one block, one steal performance where he stuck his nose in there on the boards and played strong defense.”

Peace Out!

Last edited:
Comment after comment that Hyatt can’t play D. That Hyatt is one dimensional. We lost our intensity when Hyatt comes in. Or that we are so much better with Mag. We lost the lead when Hyatt was in there. Those comments are fair game

But take a contrary argument that bad things happen when Mag touches the ball in the open court, dribbles or shoots, the turnovers or fouls, you’re called out as a bad fan or unfairly criticizing. Other fans obviously have various opinions hence this string.

That’s not fair or right and you Fluoxetine are the one leading the charge. So lighten up before calling out fans especially for comments on the live game board. Everybody on this board could be called out. It’d make for a very boring board.

I will end my comments on this particular string by quoting Fonseca and the Ledger on Hyatt’s outstanding all around game which btw if he keeps up he very well might become a starter(Fair Comment):

“Pike preached poise and junior guard Aundre Hyatt showed plenty of it by hitting a big three pointer to take the lead. It was the highlight of a 10 point, three point, two assist, one block, one steal performance where he stuck his nose in there on the boards and played strong defense.”

Peace Out!
I don’t think I’ve made one comment on Hyatt’s defense ever dude. Or said any of these other things either. What are you talking about?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I don’t think I’ve made one comment on Hyatt’s defense ever dude. Or said any of these other things either. What are you talking about?
You personally attacked me! Millions of comments on this board and you went after me. Odd.

You personally attacked me! Millions of comments on this board and you went after me. Odd.
What does that have to do with Hyatt?

Yes, I specifically called you out multiple times because you seem to have some ax to grind with Mag (or rather you have an ax to grind with posters who prefer Mag over Hyatt and you grind it by constantly posting negative things about Mag). And it’s not the first time with you.. you were doing the same thing with Young/RHJ

Reactions: S_Janowski
As opposed to the ax to grind with the anti Hyatt crowd. Look at the entire string. Millions of different opinions on this board.

No Ax to grind just opinions like everybody else. It appears that you just don’t like opinions that differ. If you want to toe the company line or don’t like different opinions than you probably shouldn’t be on this board. It’s weird dude. Stop stalking me. You don’t control content with what you perceive as slights nor did anyone appoint you as moderator or police man. Please knock it off.

As opposed to the ax to grind with the anti Hyatt crowd. Look at the entire string. Millions of different opinions on this board.

No Ax to grind just opinions like everybody else. It appears that you just don’t like opinions that differ. If you want to toe the company line or don’t like different opinions than you probably shouldn’t be on this board. It’s weird dude. Stop stalking me. You don’t control content with what you perceive as slights nor did anyone appoint you as moderator or police man. Please knock it off.
???

No one is stalking you you ****ing weirdo, I'm reading and replying to shit you post publicly on the internet. I can remember what you've posted for a long time because you have a particular style of strangeness. There is no "anti-Hyatt" crowd.. you are just hallucinating this stuff.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Still going at it? We need both. Most fans agree to this. A few of you probably just like to argue or are just blind to the benefits if Offense or Defense. We need both.
It is a message board and sports arguments are what part of what makes sports fun. Absolutely no reason to call out other fans. Holier than thou or selective attacking just isn’t fair.

???

No one is stalking you you ****ing weirdo, I'm reading and replying to shit you post publicly on the internet. I can remember what you've posted for a long time because you have a particular style of strangeness. There is no "anti-Hyatt" crowd.. you are just hallucinating this stuff.
You can’t not be serious. Hyatt plays poor defense is okay. Mag hurts us offensively is bad. Got it. I’ll run it by you next time I post. Lol! “Particular style of strangeness” “Hallucinating”. Nice adulting. BTW I didn’t start this string. Obviously other people have strong opinions. Fluoxetine won’t let it go. I haven’t attacked him. I loved Jacob Young’s game, grit, defense and hustle years ago when he played for RU. Two of biggest plays in RU history. But Fluoxetine isn’t stalking me! Lol!

Last edited:
When Hyatt was starting we were seeing a lot of selfish play from him. He rarely passed and made bad decisions. He's played much better over the last few games. Is it because he is coming off the bench? Maybe. But I do agree that Pike should perhaps swap out Mag a little earlier in the game when he gets really sloppy.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I like Hyatt off the bench for some instant offense.
That’s the argument and I get it. I just have jumped on the Hyatt band wagon and seeing improvement every time he plays and with more playing time.
Do you win with what seems to be working or could you even be better?
I remember inserting John Battle from 6th man instant offense to starter and almost All American.
Certainly fair point for discussion despite what others perceive.

OP is definitely the same dork who has created multiple users names in the past.

Very obvious - try harder to be a troll OP, you’re not good at it.

Reactions: TRU2RU
It is a message board and sports arguments are what part of what makes sports fun. Absolutely no reason to call out other fans. Holier than thou or selective attacking just isn’t fair.
It’s only okay to attack players?

My rule of thumb which does not make me a genius is not to say anything about a player that I would not say to their face. Pretty simple. Calling out a poster is not a real thing. I don’t know who you are and don’t care. I also half agree with your comments and am not really just calling you out. Just saying enough already.

Reactions: Scarlet83
When Hyatt was starting we were seeing a lot of selfish play from him. He rarely passed and made bad decisions. He's played much better over the last few games. Is it because he is coming off the bench? Maybe. But I do agree that Pike should perhaps swap out Mag a little earlier in the game when he gets really sloppy.
He was under pressure to replace two great players. The team effort has replaced that pressure and now he is just being himself. Great scorer and I expect to see more and more from him.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I think Mag is a much better pressure/trapping defender than he is 1-on-1.

My rule of thumb which does not make me a genius is not to say anything about a player that I would not say to their face. Pretty simple. Calling out a poster is not a real thing. I don’t know who you are and don’t care. I also half agree with your comments and am not really just calling you out. Just saying enough already.
Well thanks but don’t make it personal and I’m only responding to Flou

I’m just responding to personal attacks. When you call a poster strange or delusional I’m going to respond. I hope you sent the same post to the other guy who initiated the nonsense. So while I appreciate some of your comments scolding isn’t really appropriate either and only adding fuel to the fire. They keep dragging me back in! ;-)

Well thanks but don’t make it personal and I’m only responding to Flou

I’m just responding to personal attacks. When you call a poster strange or delusional I’m going to respond. I hope you sent the same post to the other guy who initiated the nonsense.
I think you’re probably the most delusional poster on this board.
This was like 5 hours ago!

Like, to be clear, @G- RUnit this post, my first post in this thread:
You get ripped because you're constantly insulting Mag. Not because you want to start Hyatt.
is not a personal attack! It's a comment on your posting, but there's no insult in there.
I think you’re probably the most delusional poster on this board.
This was your response!

LoL Watch the film. Hyatt was beat a few times on NW's run to take the lead. Specifically he got schooled by Audige for the go-ahead layup. I like both players but you're wrong on the minutes since they are close, and you're too focused on offense. Gotta learn the whole game bud.

BTW, no one is being derogatory about Hyatt...we are pointing out why Mag is the starter on this team. And starter doesn't even necessarily mean better.
Twice during the NW comeback our defender let a Wildcat go baseline for an easy layup. The Audige against Hyatt was one of those

Twice during the NW comeback our defender let a Wildcat go baseline for an easy layup. The Audige against Hyatt was one of those
Hyatt was also the player that jumped on the loose ball at the end.

Well, no. You're just lying. Very odd behavior.
You’re lying and went ballistic on me. Somehow when you point out that errors on offense are hurting a team you believe it is an “insult”. Never in my life have I ever said a player sucks. Slander and libel much? You don’t like opinions that are against yours and heaven forbid might be true. You are the liar and strange. Extremely odd behavior. Stalkerish is not a good look.

You’re lying and went ballistic on me. Somehow when you point out that errors on offense are hurting a team you believe it is an “insult”. Never ever said a player sucks. You my friend are the liar and strange. Extremely odd behavior.
I went ballistic on you?

How-to-recognize-gaslighting.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT