ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Aundre Hyatt transfers to Rutgers

Disagree. Should they return Geo and Harper will be two of the top 15 scorers in the B1G next season. And (imo) will find themselves on one of the three All-B1G teams. They are two of the top fifteen players in the conference if they come back (which is why I think they will). Watch.
I have seen 4 years of Geo. I don’t see a scorer. His numbers don’t reflect it. For the 1st 39 minutes of a game he hasn’t been good here.

Whomever plays 25 minutes a game in this lineup with Geo and RHJ, gets to double figures every other game.

I can see 5 players at 8PPG or more next year....I am forecasting a better offense with better sharing of the ball and 2 less turnovers per game and better FT shooting. I see around 73 to 74 PPG once you factor in OOC games and with not as good a defense, minus Myles and Jacob.....I see 80 PPG OOC in early season games and 72 to 73 in most B1G games.

RHJ 14 PPG

Baker 12 PPG

Hyatt 11 PPG

Jaden Jones 8 PPG

Cliff Omoyuri 8 PPG

Caleb McConnell 7 PPG

Paul Mulcahy 7 PPG

TBD backup 4/5......4PPG

Jalen Miller 4 PPG

TBD 1 of 3 (Mag/Palmquist/Reiber) 4
PPG.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Caleb will prove to be the most valuable player on the team. He is the most dynamic, combining defense, rebounding, passing, hustle, speed, quickness, and scoring. He needs to get the same minutes as Ron and Cliff. Everyone else can divide the rest of the minutes.

It is a matter of health and stability for Caleb. He has had 2 offseasons of rehabs on injuries....if this is a step up health wise, he emerges as the X-Factor that is capable of 10PPG....he's a strong FT shooter at 80%, so if he can draw a foul or 2 per game shooting, he can steal 3 to 4PPG on FTs.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Harper scored 7.8 and Mathis 8.5 in their first year. If they could make FTs they would have been at 10 ppg.

Why is 10 ppg for Jones so much of a stretch for a shooter on a team that needs shooting ?
If the kid was good enough to drop 10 ppg, he'd have played this spring. Pikiell can talk about out-of-bounds plays until he is blue in the face, but if Jones was ready, he would have played. Jones will be solid, but he is not scoring 10 points a game as a freshman in the 15-20 minutes he'll get a night.

Caleb will prove to be the most valuable player on the team. He is the most dynamic, combining defense, rebounding, passing, hustle, speed, quickness, and scoring. He needs to get the same minutes as Ron and Cliff. Everyone else can divide the rest of the minutes.
Caleb does not have speed, quickness or scoring. He can be a glue guy/x-factor/whatever you want to call him, but not MVP. Assuming RHJ comes back, he will easily be the most valuable.

It is a matter of health and stability for Caleb. He has had 2 offseasons of rehabs on injuries....if this is a step up health wise, he emerges as the X-Factor that is capable of 10PPG....he's a strong FT shooter at 80%, so if he can draw a foul or 2 per game shooting, he can steal 3 to 4PPG on FTs.

Yes. Also for all JY’s strengths, running team offense as the point guard in the half court set wasn’t one of them. I think Caleb and Geo were better offensive scorers in 2018-19 when it was clear they were running the offense. Yeah I know what chop said about the 3 point line being closer but Caleb only made 20 3s that year anyway.

I like the pick up with Hyatt and there’s great hype around Jones (lots of poential) but Caleb isn’t just a utility glue guy off the bench. He has a chance to be an elite defender - All BIG defensive team caliber player next year. But he’s also a kid who scored 25 points as a frosh on the road at Illinois and has scored double figures 20+ times in his college career despite all the injuries.

If the kid was good enough to drop 10 ppg, he'd have played this spring. Pikiell can talk about out-of-bounds plays until he is blue in the face, but if Jones was ready, he would have played. Jones will be solid, but he is not scoring 10 points a game as a freshman in the 15-20 minutes he'll get a night.

That logic makes little sense. So, you are saying just because he was not ready to play as a skinny HS senior in February on a team of veterans with an established rotation that means he won't be ready to score after going thru 10 months of weight training, workouts and team practices.

He is a shooter and a scorer...And, if this team needs scoring he will take minutes away from the non-scoring guy(s) who can't create their own shot or penetrate into the lane to finish.

Last edited:
I thought this board was supposed to be for people to express their opinions. However some on here act as if they know everything and that they are never wrong about anything and just completely throw out other people's opinions.

I thought this board was supposed to be for people to express their opinions. However some on here act as if they know everything and that they are never wrong about anything and just completely throw out other people's opinions.

I always thought it was about back and forth conversations on topics. (Point / counterpoint and Debating).

Anyone who gets offended by someone commenting on their opinions should probably stay away.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
Caleb does not have speed, quickness or scoring. He can be a glue guy/x-factor/whatever you want to call him, but not MVP. Assuming RHJ comes back, he will easily be the most valuable.

He’s not an offensive MVP, but he’’s easily the best returning defensive player on the team and not because everyone else is weak. He’s more of a half court player, but to say helps game is slow is crap. His footwork without the ball, on defense, and crashing the boards is excellent and he’s not athletically limited. He just isn’t a good shooter from long distance and he shot particularly bad last season. Your description better fits PM who I think will become more confident in his shot (which is decent) but while he can still improve on defense there’s definitely a ceiling.

Reactions: mwagnes

Jones is the best looking offensive prospect we've seen in the PIke era. He could easily score 10 points a game if his defense is good enough to stay on the floor.

Wait, didn’t you just describe Montez?
He did not describe Mathis; he said " great FT shooter".

We still need to add another big man from the portal to back up Cliff, but if we get one and Ron/Geo both return, I think we'll make another run at the big dance.

He is a shooter and a scorer...And, if this team needs scoring he will take minutes away from the non-scoring guy(s) who can't create their own shot or penetrate into the lane to finish.

I assume you are talking about PM and Caleb by non-scoring? There are 51 minutes from JY / Tez to go around. If Jones comes in as a playmaking stud, his minutes will likely come out of this bucket and not from the “incumbents”. Perhaps if he’s truly able to create his own shot off the bat it could take away the need for some of what adds PM on offense (ball rotation skill). Especially if Jones also holds his own on defense where PM struggles. With defense being such a priority for Pike, I don’t see a scenerio where Caleb’s minutes go down from last season.

Honestly, I don't see anyone "throw out" others' opinions in this thread. It seems to be a nice give and take, with nothing personal. And for what it's worth, I agree with your post about Paul. He could definitely average more points if he got more aggressive with his shot.

and slower....so what defense is best for this team...a zone?
I'd hate to think that. We lose our 2 best on ball defenders. Hopefully Hyatt comes in is at Mathis level (ability, not efficiency) or above on defense.

We need our 2 leaders to be engaged on the defensive end and we should be OK.

We won’t be slow on defense. Just slower in transition. I see a similar defensive style to 2018-19.
We have quite a few guys that struggled last year to stay in front of their man. Being slow in transition is desire and conditioning. One of our captains last year was good for at least of one per game of the reach in for steal at half court instead on sprinting back to the other side.

We won’t be slow on defense. Just slower in transition. I see a similar defensive style to 2018-19.
Defense will be interesting to watch next year. We've lost three of our best, arguably our three best, defenders in Young, Mathis and Johnson. Pike is going to have to coach 'em up.

I agree with your post about Paul. He could definitely average more points if he got more aggressive with his shot.

For sure. In my opinion, If PM loses any PT it’ll be because of defense not offense. Even then, I think it’s match up based. Teams that have multiple play makers in the back court present the biggest problem. He really struggled last year having to defend a guy who could create his own shot.

Defense will be interesting to watch next year. We've lost three of our best, arguably our three best, defenders in Young, Mathis and Johnson. Pike is going to have to coach 'em up.

MJ yes - but I think concerns of the backcourt defense (1-3) are unfounded. We had a solid defensive unit in 2018-19 and there is no reason next season’s defense shouldn’t be better in the backcourt than that one. Significantly so. PM defends better than Kiss. Geo and Caleb are 3 years more experienced (Caleb in particular is a drastically better defender now than he was as a frosh). Pike clearly thinks Caleb defends better than Tez now based on PT allocation. Hyatt is a good defender being added to the rotation. Jones is a wildcard on defense but the point I’m making is we’re in way better position for perimeter defense now than we were that year and that team turned out to be pretty good (with defense at the 1-3).

Reactions: RUDead
As to PM, AT 6’7”, yes he need to work on his shot but more so is finishing underneath. On his drives he get to the rim then STOPS and doesn’t or can’t switch to his left hand.

and slower....so what defense is best for this team...a zone?

Slower in what sense.....?? Jacob Young was fast but put himself out of position more often than not. Jalen Miller will be fine as will Jaden Jones on defense. There is no replacement for Myles on defense but there really shouldn't be an expectation to match that.

Yeah, none of this is convincing. We lost three key defenders, maybe our best. Just musing into existence great defensive skills for new recruits and those who played like 9 minutes doesn't work. It's guesswork and outcome-oriented analysis. We'll have to see. I agree, however, that Pike is a very good defense and rebounding coach and that provides reason for some optimism.

Yeah, none of this is convincing. We lost three key defenders, maybe our best. Just musing into existence great defensive skills for new recruits and those who played like 9 minutes doesn't work. It's guesswork and outcome-oriented analysis. We'll have to see. I agree, however, that Pike is a very good defense and rebounding coach and that provides reason for some optimism.

Agree on Young and Johnson, but down the stretch of the year Mathis was not in their league on defense. I don't know if he was trying to do too much to get more playing time, or if he'd already made a decision to leave, or what... But his defense started to become more fouling than footwork.

McConnell is probably our best returning defender, and finished the season as our third best defender behind Johnson and Young. Of the newcomers, I think Mag has the best chance to rise to the level of a plus defender. Mulcahy, Palmquist, and Reiber have the most work to do to improve. Interested to see what Hyatt, Jones, and Miller bring.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Hyatt seems coachable, looks to improve, and has kept himself in good shape.

I am starting to warm up to this transfer. I think it's going to work out well for Hyatt on the banks. As others have mentioned, he didn't get a ton of playing time at LSU, but when he did, he had some really nice games for himself. They were a good team. That LSU coach to me does not seem like someone to play for.

Low turnovers, heady, rebounds decently, drives to paint, etc. Hasn't shown a ton of 3 pt shooting at LSU, but lower sample size without a ton of minutes.

I like it. Good luck,Hyatt!

Reactions: soundcrib
Slower in what sense.....?? Jacob Young was fast but put himself out of position more often than not. Jalen Miller will be fine as will Jaden Jones on defense. There is no replacement for Myles on defense but there really shouldn't be an expectation to match that.
slower in foot speed and lateral quickness to take on the fastest players on the other team. I think there are guys who put in defensive effort, like Paul, who still get beat due to lack of defensive speed. I love Paul, and he has improved in his defense, but we lose our 2 best on-the-ball defenders in Young and Tez. Who steps in those shoes?

Agree on Young and Johnson, but down the stretch of the year Mathis was not in their league on defense. I don't know if he was trying to do too much to get more playing time, or if he'd already made a decision to leave, or what... But his defense started to become more fouling than footwork.

McConnell is probably our best returning defender, and finished the season as our third best defender behind Johnson and Young. Of the newcomers, I think Mag has the best chance to rise to the level of a plus defender. Mulcahy, Palmquist, and Reiber have the most work to do to improve. Interested to see what Hyatt, Jones, and Miller bring.
Seems we agree in general.

I don't agree on Mathis, though. His defense was different from that of Young, who was not just quick on his feet but quick with his hands. Mathis was a stone-faced assasin on defense. He would be on you at all times, seemed to love it, was tough as nails, and never changed his expression while doing it. He was very effective at hounding and rattling the other teams guards. He was also always looking for ways to provide help defense while not losing his own man.

slower in foot speed and lateral quickness to take on the fastest players on the other team. I think there are guys who put in defensive effort, like Paul, who still get beat due to lack of defensive speed. I love Paul, and he has improved in his defense, but we lose our 2 best on-the-ball defenders in Young and Tez. Who steps in those shoes?

Geo and Caleb are good enough on ball defenders even if not as dazzling as JY. Tez really wasn’t very good for us at all the second half of the year.

Caleb does other things on defense that these guys (even JY) aren’t as good at. Rebounding is a big one. He also had the same number of steals as JY in the games he played (both had 29) and Caleb played less minutes. I’m not saying JY isn’t a big loss but Caleb’s defense is not getting enough credit on here. He was literally the only kid on last year’s team who understood the concept of help defense.

I don't agree on Mathis, though. His defense was different from that of Young, who was not just quick on his feet but quick with his hands. Mathis was a stone-faced assasin on defense. He would be on you at all times, seemed to love it, was tough as nails, and never changed his expression while doing it. He was very effective at hounding and rattling the other teams guards. He was also always looking for ways to provide help defense while not losing his own man.

We must’ve watched different games. Outside of a few streaking scoring bursts - Montez just wasn’t very good after the Purdue game. No idea why but he didn’t add very much on defense as far as I can remember in any game.

MJ yes - but I think concerns of the backcourt defense (1-3) are unfounded. We had a solid defensive unit in 2018-19 and there is no reason next season’s defense shouldn’t be better in the backcourt than that one. Significantly so. PM defends better than Kiss. Geo and Caleb are 3 years more experienced (Caleb in particular is a drastically better defender now than he was as a frosh). Pike clearly thinks Caleb defends better than Tez now based on PT allocation. Hyatt is a good defender being added to the rotation. Jones is a wildcard on defense but the point I’m making is we’re in way better position for perimeter defense now than we were that year and that team turned out to be pretty good (with defense at the 1-3).

At the end of the season, Caleb was the best perimeter defender, and could cover 1-4.

Sorry, but Mathis was a overrated defender. For a while.

He was last year and the first part of this year, but his defense fell off a lot starting in February.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
We must’ve watched different games. Outside of a few streaking scoring bursts - Montez just wasn’t very good after the Purdue game. No idea why but he didn’t add very much on defense as far as I can remember in any game.

There's no doubt that we were watching the same games, so let's try another theory: you didn't pay attention to Mathis playing defense. I'm pretty sure that's it. I loved watching his defense, along with others on RU. Matthis was an excellent on-the-ball defender and very good at help defense. Here's Pike: "He’s an elite defender. Our league has some of the best guards in the country and he accepts that challenge." When Matthis transferred to St. John's, NJ.com wrote that while at Rugers he "was one of their best defenders." Around that same time, the NY Post quoted a Div 1 coach describing Mathis "Excellent athlete/defender." It's Ok that you don't pay attention to defense. It explains that your post's attack on his defense addressed his offense with an aside about how you don't remember much about his D. Let me remind you: it was excellent.

Except for a really bad blow by in the Houston game. It was brutal in person.

Yup. And he committed some fouls, and he had days that weren't as good as others. As does anybody who's good at anything. But he was one of our best defenders. He just was.

Mathis' stats in the 16 games through the end of January, per 40 min:
16.7 pts, 6.7 rb (2.1 orb/3.6 drb), 1.4 stl, 0.7 blk, 2.1 tov, 3.8 pf

And then in the 12 games from February-March:
13.0 pts, 4.2 rb (1.3 orb/2.9 drb), 1.1 stl, 0.2 blk, 1.8 tov, 6.0 pf

He was hitting the defensive boards less, seeing fewer steals and blocks, and committing more fouls.

In the five most common lineups including Mathis that are published on sk.com...
Dec-Jan Opp Pts/Min: 1.90
Feb-Mar Opp Pts/Min: 2.29

And just from the eye test, he was not the same level of defender down the stretch of this season than he was at the start of the season. Not sure if it was a mental thing because he lost his starting spot, if it was some physical issue (illness/injury), if he was already considering transferring, or what. But he wasn't as good defensively toward the end of the year as he was in the first half of the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT