ADVERTISEMENT

B10 $$$.759 Mill in Revenue in 2018.RU and Terps get Loan$

Was waiting to see official numbers released. What I think is really something is that the B10 is even 10M in front of the SEC which is fairly significant margin and I think now it's apples to apples with all revenue sources accounted for and new contracts started. The ACC Network is the last thing to be added to their pot but that's not going to push them up above the SEC or B10.

In the end though, I always say don't think of this money as a panacea and cure all. Plenty of programs have been getting money and distributions all along and still languish. It's obviously needed and helpful but the theme is the same as when you're without...smart efficient use of resources is still paramount.

Saw this tweet from Jon Wilner.

Jon Wilner‏Verified account@wilnerhotline May 15
Jon Wilner Retweeted Steve Berkowitz

B10: $54M per school in FY18 SEC: $44M B12: $36.5M (excld Tier 3) Pac-12 should be $32.5M ACC likely high $20Ms

Reactions: Scarlet83
If we ended up being stuck in the AAC forever, I would have just said tarp the upper decks and the end zones. We're never drawing more than 20,000 again.

Much happier getting our butts whipped by the top of the B1G East than having an AAC schedule.

Reactions: scripts
11.7 mill compared to 54 mill that's criminal
B1G should forgive the freakin' loans after starving us--with caveat the money does stay invested in athletics, in other words keep Trenton's sticky fingers away from the cookie jar.

A competitive-to-good RU will blow the roof off conference coffers.

Reactions: RC85
This sucks. Shows we never should have left the AAC. We could be making $7MM. Instead we'll have to settle for $50+MM.

Bet ya it doesn't change what we spend on football anyway. School is going to take the extra money and piss it away on gender studies..

When I was at a recent Rutgers baseball game, I was looking at all the Big Ten logos and sometimes I still can’t believe we got the last lifeboat and WE ARE IN THE BIG TEN !!! I can’t imagine if we were still playing Tulane,Temple,SMU, UConnetc.

Well we'd have a better record and maybe a bowl game.

Ok. Rich people and businesses never give money away to support need. [eyeroll]

In all seriousness, even with leverage I've never seen Rutgers EVER negotiate a good contract or deal, like a bonus for delivering x amount more equity to the league than estimated.

Regular people donate money to charity all the time.

Reactions: 8th Man
Much happier getting our butts whipped by the top of the B1G East than having an AAC schedule.
I don't have that view. We fail we try again, we fail we try again, etc... Hopefully, we're a little smarter about how we identify candidates and what can be successful for a lower status program like us but I don't have the view that we have to be perennially beat down by everyone. We can become some level of respectable. The money will help but again it's not a panacea...have to be smart on how you deploy it.

It's not a matter of we should've stayed in Big American East Clusterfuk so people need to stop saying that nonsense. The B1G wanted and needed us to expand its TV footprint and increase carriage fees and revenue, all of which we delivered and got nothing in return. The buy in amounts are arbitrary. The other B1G school didn't pay anywhere near as much to start BTN, so we're paying exceedingly more, yet we actually delivered over $18M/year more to the coffers with our new Cablevision carriage deal in the NYC TV DMA alone, and obviously more with Comcast, TWC, Fios and other deals in NYC and Philly TV DMAs. We should've gotten an increased payout share based on how much incremental revenue/carriage fees we brought. Especially when they know our facilities were way down, as was other spending.

It's not a matter of we should've stayed in Big American East Clusterfuk so people need to stop saying that nonsense. The B1G wanted and needed us to expand its TV footprint and increase carriage fees and revenue, all of which we delivered and got nothing in return. The buy in amounts are arbitrary. The other B1G school didn't pay anywhere near as much to start BTN, so we're paying exceedingly more, yet we actually delivered over $18M/year more to the coffers with our new Cablevision carriage deal in the NYC TV DMA alone, and obviously more with Comcast, TWC, Fios and other deals in NYC and Philly TV DMAs. We should've gotten an increased payout share based on how much incremental revenue/carriage fees we brought. Especially when they know our facilities were way down, as was other spending.

Like was stated elsewhere we didn't really have a lot of leverage.

Barchi will be taking almost all that money.
Yep, I believe he is still banging that "Eliminate the Subsidy" drum.
Will Barchi be here when the bigger money comes in a few years?
Dear god I hope not!
Will the BOG not want to invest the money into athletics?
So far they are very reticent to do so. Remember, after Schiano left, they shackled Pernetti by dictating that $1 mil was the ceiling for his replacement. This is where we need a strong, savvy president with experience at another large public university that had a successful athletic department.
If we ended up being stuck in the AAC forever, I would have just said tarp the upper decks and the end zones. We're never drawing more than 20,000 again.
Yukon is Example Number One of what we would have faced if we stayed.

Like was stated elsewhere we didn't really have a lot of leverage.
We had more than the nothing that's tossed around here. Problem is that we don't have good negotiators or lawyers handling these things, as evidenced by the infinite amount of bad deals and mishandled deals over our history.

Reactions: NickRU714
Don’t forget under Barchi’s edict of athletics being cost neutral a large part of the added BIG $$ will just go to getting rid of our subsidies. We won’t have as much to spend as it appears, we will just be self supporting.

We desperately need a new president who is athletic friendly.

Last edited:
This sucks. Shows we never should have left the AAC. We could be making $7MM. Instead we'll have to settle for $50+MM.
Staying in AAC better chance to win league games.Money is useful to upgrade facilities which helps all sports teams and that is why the B1G is where Rutgers belongs long term.

We had more than the nothing that's tossed around here. Problem is that we don't have good negotiators or lawyers handling these things, as evidenced by the infinite amount of bad deals and mishandled deals over our history.

If I am the B1G, and by asking Rutgers to join, I am throwing a lifeline to Rutgers, right? Everyone knows that. The huge money to B1G is why we were invited in the first place.

Now if Rutgers starts negotiating bonuses, I (the B1G) am either going to shut that down immediately, or I am going to start negotiating huge penalties for not hitting TV revenue goals. You don’t get something for nothing.

We had NO LEVERAGE. NONE.

If I am the B1G, and by asking Rutgers to join, I am throwing a lifeline to Rutgers, right? Everyone knows that. The huge money to B1G is why we were invited in the first place.

Now if Rutgers starts negotiating bonuses, I (the B1G) am either going to shut that down immediately, or I am going to start negotiating huge penalties for not hitting TV revenue goals. You don’t get something for nothing.

We had NO LEVERAGE. NONE.
No. The penalties would've been you get the crappy deal you have now.

Bet ya it doesn't change what we spend on football anyway. School is going to take the extra money and piss it away on gender studies..
Well Bobby B's priority #1 is revenue neutrality, so no, we won't be spending any more money on football. But now that we no longer have male and female and are moving towards gender fluidity, we need to spend a lot more money studying that. So that we can of course figure out how to be hermaphroditic and f ourselves.

Reactions: 1873 and RUScrew85
While this is great news in general, I have some doubts whether revenue will actually ever hit those projections. I hope it will; but I don't know if $60 million will ever be paid to each AD.

2017 $9,442,178
2018 $23,841,721 ($9,841,721 + $14,000,000 loan)
2019 $26,242,246 ($10,242,246 + $13,000,000 loan + $3,000,000 advance)
2020 $28,643,801 [FY 2020 starts on July 1, 2019]
2021 $43,705,600

What is the difference between a loan and an advance? Don't both get paid back?

Don’t forget under Barchi’s edict of athletics being cost neutral a large part of the added BIG $$ will just go to getting rid of our subsidies. We won’t have as much to spend as it appears, we will just be self supporting.

Yup, basically until 2021 all we're doing is cashing checks. Every increase in B1G payout till then has pretty much gone to keeping Barchi's Elimination of Direct Institutional goal for each year in place. It's why the loan from the University bank had to be taken out.

They never even let athletics crawl before pulling the rug out. While others saw the B1G payout as an opportunity to enhance their athletic programs. Rutgers administration saw a cash grab from day one. The plan all along was to leave just enough to cover expenses. They've now driven away the fan base. This University has always lacked foresight and vision.

Barchi needs to go.
Hobbs maybe next after him if he refuses to fire Asherror

Do we KNOW this is true? Will Barchi be here when the bigger money comes in a few years? Will the BOG not want to invest the money into athletics?

Yes, that’s why the B1G money doesn’t really matter to us. Almost all of it will be used to make us close to net neutral. Barchi will leave us with a few dimes to run together. The only benefit the B1G money gives us is that we won’t have to deal with those stupid NJ.com headlines anymore.

Only way we can spend with the big boys will be through donations.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
"got nothing in return" where do people come up with this nonsense-- god bless the BIG

Ok. Rich people and businesses never give money away to support need. [eyeroll]

In all seriousness, even with leverage I've never seen Rutgers EVER negotiate a good contract or deal, like a bonus for delivering x amount more equity to the league than estimated.
In a scenario of helping those in need, yes, many of us regularly see the well off help others. This is not that scenario. This would be like Amazon giving Sears a forgivable loan to help it try to turn things around.

We also need much more friendly donors. Payouts are only half the battle competing with those now in our peer group.

We don't play Syracuse or Uconn as conference peers anymore. We live in a different zip code. As alums/fans, we need to up the ante.

I still can’t believe we got the last lifeboat and WE ARE IN THE BIG TEN !!!

Not only did we get in the lifeboat, our boat was picked up by the largest ship on the seas.
anthem-of-the-seas.jpg

When I was at a recent Rutgers baseball game, I was looking at all the Big Ten logos and sometimes I still can’t believe we got the last lifeboat and WE ARE IN THE BIG TEN !!! I can’t imagine if we were still playing Tulane,Temple,SMU, UConnetc.

There's a school of thought that suggests: If it's bad, it'll happen to RU. But, if only one good thing was to happen to RU, this is the one you wanted. The last lifeboat... You said it, brother.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Barchi isn't long for RU and the lack of season renewals made it much clearer now that investing in athletics isn't the worse thing in the world. The RU fan excuse list is wrong but Barchi isn't preventing anything from happening on the other sports that are improving.

These numbers are great and I still have people saying it means very little or they refer to what didn't happen 30, 20, 15 or even 4 to 5 years ago.

Reactions: BlockR
Barchi isn't long for RU and the lack of season renewals made it much clearer now that investing in athletics isn't the worse thing in the world. The RU fan excuse list is wrong but Barchi isn't preventing anything from happening on the other sports that are improving.

These numbers are great and I still have people saying it means very little or they refer to what didn't happen 30, 20, 15 or even 4 to 5 years ago.

So, what are the implications for RU football and hoops going forward?

Union Town PA Herald Standard
Big revenue payday in store for ACC schools

"With the ACC Network launching in less that 100 days, the athletic departments in the conference must be chomping at the bit to get in on the TV revenue."

Yes, I'm sure, but the article doesn't even mention a guess of what they might clear.
6db2e9d0-a237-442f-9c4d-c2d2c0ffb361.gif

B1G should forgive the freakin' loans after starving us--with caveat the money does stay invested in athletics, in other words keep Trenton's sticky fingers away from the cookie jar.

A competitive-to-good RU will blow the roof off conference coffers.

The Big Ten hasn't "starved" Rutgers. If anything, mismanagement and lack of fan support has starved Rutgers athletics. You should be kissing Jim Delany's hairy butt for the rest of his life for saving the Rutgers AD.

The Big Ten hasn't "starved" Rutgers. If anything, mismanagement and lack of fan support has starved Rutgers athletics. You should be kissing Jim Delany's hairy butt for the rest of his life for saving the Rutgers AD.
100% true.Still with mismanagement from Barchi and Hobbs ,even with current B10 increase and double revenue bump in four years,they still cant get out of their own way.

ADVERTISEMENT