ADVERTISEMENT

B12 Expansion

MozRU

Heisman Winner
Oct 3, 2005
I was listening to CBS sports talk radio this afternoon while I was painting. The guy said his locks were BYU and Houston if the B12 only took two teams.

If they took four, then they would add BYU Houston, Cincy and UCONN. Something along the lines, "The B12 can't ignore a big state school like UCONN."

Is UCONN a serious contender?

Selfishly, I don't want another Power5 team in the NE vying for recruits. Plus, screw UCONN.

It isn't and the Big12 has already said they are only taking two if any.

Those guys were just trying to air time.

You would have more success figuring out the mysteries of the universe than the motives and actions of the Big 12 Conference and its schools. In time, the Conference is doomed one way or another

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It isn't and the Big12 has already said they are only taking two if any.

Those guys were just trying to air time.
Thanks. It worked. I was using high gloss white on a mantel around my fire place swearing up storm as the guy was talking about it. Had to clean up more drips than usual losing it thinking UCONN was getting a place at the table.

No tears. I have no sympathy for those that will fold.

Reactions: RURod
UCONN belongs in a real conference. Never understood why some of you guys have such a deep rooted hate. If college sports worked the way they 'should' work (which means this would never happen) UCONN would join the acc and Virginia tech would move to the big 12 to be WVU's 'travel partner'.

UCONN belongs in a real conference. Never understood why some of you guys have such a deep rooted hate. If college sports worked the way they 'should' work (which means this would never happen) UCONN would join the acc and Virginia tech would move to the big 12 to be WVU's 'travel partner'.

Big 12 should have invited WV, TCU, Louisville and Cincy in 2011, however, it's way too much of a dysfunctional group of schools for developing strategy and being proactive

If they're thinking short-term fix it will definitely be Cincinnati and Memphis.
If they're planning for the future will definitely be San Diego State and UCF. By long-term I mean going Coast-to-Coast and filling the Middle with the best candidates at the later date. By bringing in another school as Houston the Big 12 will only be cock blocking other conferences development. The ACC the Big Ten in the Pac-12 should make one big scoop of the Houston and Dallas Metroplex. Forget all those other Texas State schools... they come with too much trouble.

Reactions: NickyNewark51

Uconn belongs in the Big East. Not a football conference.

Didn't one of the "names" in college basketball reporting say there is talk of UConn BB to the Big East and football to the MAC earlier this week?
Yes, there was. But the MAC will not take a football-only member (the reason UMass is independent is the MAC gave them the option of going all-sports or going away. They chose away.)

The investment already made in UConn football probably is already too great to go back now, but UConn and UMass should together drop to FCS and play with UMaine and UNH for football and take their other sports to the Big East. I remember posting this about the time the MAC first gave UMass the ultimatum but it makes really good sense now, which, of course, is why it won't happen.

Reactions: sherrane
Big 12 should have invited WV, TCU, Louisville and Cincy in 2011, however, it's way too much of a dysfunctional group of schools for developing strategy and being proactive

They still would have the same contract problems even if they had invited those four teams.

Why hate UConn? Their FB fans make up for their lack of #s by being insufferable a-holes. Had the worst road game experience in my life at their crap-hole of a stadium. Barely got out of the car when greeted with a profanity laced tirade by an inebriated (and massively obese) elderly woman. Inside the "stadium" was worse (did not help that RU lost to that horrid team). Just go on their "Boneyard" if you want to get you blood pressure up. No thanks - I hope they wither and die outside the P5.

I actually hope they get into the B12 just so that maybe it will delay/prevent a possible ACC entrance once that s**thole falls apart eventually.

like another poster said above,nobody can predict what the B12 will do,since they are such a dysfunctional group. Texas and OU are still the power players here,what they want goes,or they threaten to leave.ESPN/Fox only wants to pay for two schools,if The B12 pushes them to pay for four schools,they will in return blow up the conference.As of now BYU(if it can clean up its 'honor code' disaster ) is ESPN choice and Texas and OU are backing Houston.If BYU carries too much baggage,then alledgedly Cinncy gets the nod. Who knows... maybe Delany blows up the B12 and lands Texas as his departing gift to college football before retirement.

Uconn doesn't "belong" in shit except where they are. Their alignment in the CFB universe is just proof that karma really does exist. As BoroKnight suggested the best move for uconn would be dropping their football to FCS, although that would give them small stage success, so personally I'd rather see them wither on the vine.

Reactions: RURod
IMO, This will be Bob Diaco's last season at UConn, he has done well enough there to get a better HC job, maybe even a P5 HC job.

its going to come down to two of BYU, Houston and Cincinnati I suspect. If four, then the last spot will be between Memphis, UCF, USF, Colorado State and UConn. Distance with terrible recruiting will probably knock off UConn. BYU is BYU, so the distance isn't quite as much of a factor, but Colorado St could serve as a "bridge" the way that Cincy/Memphis would for WVU. The Florida schools probably get looks purely due to recruiting/media area, because their football programs are not respected by the B12 like Houston & BYU are.

I don't like UConn and certainly don't root for them to land in a Big 5 conference and create another viable recruiting competitor in the Northeast.

Having said that, if conference expansion is based on "fairness" and being a deserving program, then I agree 100% that UConn deserves a spot.

Reactions: chrisru99
I have heard it will be BYU if they want to join and then most likely Cincy. If adding 4 then Texas wants Houston. The 4th comes down to who is most attractive between UConn, Memphis, USF, and UCF.

- UConn adds instant hoops success and some nice olympic sports (Soccer, Field Hockey, Lacrosse). They also help with WV and Cincy travel while having a lot of alums in both Boston and NYC. Texas or Oklahoma vs UConn in Gillette Stadium or Met Life Stadium will probably do well.
- Memphis is relatively close to the Texas / Oklahoma schools (6 hours to Norman Ok and 8 hours to Dallas). They add Fed ex money and an expanded footprint. They have decent hoops too.
- USF / UCF - Both offer a Florida footprint but doubt either helps a B12 network much since you will have both the ACC and SEC network for the top 3 Florida schools already. Both have good baseball but weak football / hoops.

For divisions:
East - UConn / USF / UCF, Cincy, West Va, Iowa St, Kansas, Ks St, Memphis
West - Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Okl St, BYU

According to the BIG12 Commissioner they will ONLY expand to 12 if at all.

That is not a rumor that is an official statement from the person leading this expansion.

All reports point to BYU, Houston and Cincy as the top picks for those two slots.

This is pretty much UCONN's last shot for at least a decade. Funny thing is many o their fans prefer to wait for an ACC bid. That will never come unless ND decides to join ACC or the B1G raids them again when the GOR is up and with the new network that might not even be possible. UCONN will likely remain in purgatory for quite a long time.

This is pretty much UCONN's last shot for at least a decade. Funny thing is many o their fans prefer to wait for an ACC bid. That will never come unless ND decides to join ACC or the B1G raids them again when the GOR is up and with the new network that might not even be possible. UCONN will likely remain in purgatory for quite a long time.

UND will never join the ACC for football. They however would be happy to keep the rest of their sports in the ACC forever if they can. Except for Ice Hockey which is joining the Big Ten.

I'm sorry but Uconn brings nothing but bball and bball doesn't really make money for a conference. We do not want any other viable destination in the NE so no one should be rooting for Uconn.

Reactions: valkabit
UND will never join the ACC for football. They however would be happy to keep the rest of their sports in the ACC forever if they can. Except for Ice Hockey which is joining the Big Ten.
I pretty much agree unless access to the playoff forces their hand. If they get passed over a couple of times for teams that won their ccg, they may decide to do it.

In the future, the committee determining the requirements required to participate in the National Championship games could put in a provision requiring Conference membership (including a Conference Championship game).

I think Notre Dame, BYU and Army are the only major football independents left.
If BYU goes to the Big 12 and Army say would join C-USA to take the place of Houston going to the Big 12, that would only leave Notre Dame.

Will the rest of college football give an exemption to only Notre Dame or will they say join or you're out.

I believe at some point in time Notre Dame will have to decide where they want to go.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

In the future, the committee determining the requirements required to participate in the National Championship games could put in a provision requiring Conference membership (including a Conference Championship game).

If BYU goes to the Big 12 and Army say would join C-USA to take the place of Houston going to the Big 12, that would only leave Notre Dame.

Will the rest of college football give an exemption to only Notre Dame or will they say join or you're out.

I believe at some point in time Notre Dame will have to decide where they want to go.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Since Notre Dame has a seat on that Committee and equal say to the other Power 5 conferences, they would stop anything like that. ACC would love it but the Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big12 would never ever agree to anything like that as long as UND has a pending GOR with the ACC, since they would all want a crack at getting UND football. They are sure as hell not going to just give the ACC that without a fight.

Last edited:

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The perfect time to give that ultimatum was just a few years ago when the format for the current national championship games was worked out. The conferences blew it back then. I don't see a similar opportunity occurring any time soon, since the most likely change that will occur to the current arrangement will be an expansion to an 8 team tournament, making access easier, not more difficult.

I don't like UConn and certainly don't root for them to land in a Big 5 conference and create another viable recruiting competitor in the Northeast.

Having said that, if conference expansion is based on "fairness" and being a deserving program, then I agree 100% that UConn deserves a spot.

Why is it fair for them to be in a P-5 conference??? They've done absolutely nothing to deserve a seat at the table. They can't win in the AAC, how are they going to win in the Big 12? They have been playing Div 1 football for all of 13 years. Schools like Houston, BYU, Colorado St., Cinn., etc. have been at it for decades while Uconn was losing in the Yankee conference. They have no recruiting base, a small die-hard fan base in Ct. and a small football stadium 25 miles from campus they can't fill. They have the least knowledgeable most obnoxious football fans on the planet and there's no way on earth they can bring $30M/yr. to the table to make it worthwhile for another conference to take them.

What's unfair is them thinking they can snap their fingers and get a Big East invite for their bball. If I was the Big East, I'd think twice before I let a bball program that doesn't fit the conference profile like Uconn in my conference. Personally, I hope the Big East tells them to go take a hike.

When Houstion and Cinncinatti join the Big 12, Navy will leave the AAC. At that point Uconn can battle it out for 5th place in what's left of that conference..

Last edited:
Reactions: RURod and valkabit
The perfect time to give that ultimatum was just a few years ago when the format for the current national championship games was worked out. The conferences blew it back then. I don't see a similar opportunity occurring any time soon, since the most likely change that will occur to the current arrangement will be an expansion to an 8 team tournament, making access easier, not more difficult.

Note the words in the future.

I do not believe the Ohio States,Michigan's,Texas's etc. will let the enviable exemption Notre Dame has continue for infinity.

At some point in time Notre Dame will be forced to select a conference.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

[banana][banana]

Since Notre Dame has a seat on that Committee and equal say to the other Power 5 conferences, they would stop anything like that. ACC would love it but the Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big12 would never ever agree to anything like that as long as UND has a pending GOR with the ACC, since they would all want a crack at getting UND football. They are sure as hell not going to just give the ACC that without a fight.

Going to 8 won't make it easier for Notre Dame to get into the playoffs, if the P5 conferences get automatic bids. Notre Dame would have no choice but to join a conference.

Going to 8 won't make it easier for Notre Dame to get into the playoffs, if the P5 conferences get automatic bids. Notre Dame would have no choice but to join a conference.

If it came down to something like that UND would buy out their GOR and EXIT fees, since they have a ton of money. UND is milking the ACC like they did with the Big East. They tease joining the Big East the entire time they were a part of them. Trust me, everyone here knows how this movie ends. If the ACC thinks UND would ever let its football program join the ACC, they are in for a rude awaking.

If it came down to something like that UND would buy out their GOR and EXIT fees, since they have a ton of money. UND is milking the ACC like they did with the Big East. They tease joining the Big East the entire time they were a part of them. Trust me, everyone here knows how this movie ends. If the ACC thinks UND would ever let its football program join the ACC, they are in for a rude awaking.

You make way too many assumptions. For one, you keep thinking Notre Dame is somehow screwing the ACC. The real reason the ACC made the agreement with Notre Dame was to get a network. Swofford admitted as much when the network was announced a few weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT