ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Coach Hot Seat

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Frost likely leading the way, with Harbaugh in second. Does Franklin get a pass, or do they find a reason to get rid of him?

Frost taking a beating today on Twitter.

Reactions: SCILS02
He has the pedigee and the extra year of grace it provides. Some Nebraska fans are hostile? You read some the comments here about any thing and everything Rutgers Football with the exception of a coach in his first year back who, by the way, is being treated just like Frost in HIS first year back.

He has the pedigee and the extra year of grace it provides. Some Nebraska fans are hostile? You read some the comments here about any thing and everything Rutgers Football with the exception of a coach in his first year back who, by the way, is being treated just like Frost in HIS first year back.
Couple of differences with Frost's first year.
He started out by losing 6 in a row, including to Troy, Purdue and getting annihilated by Michigan. This is Nebraska, not Rutgers. And while Andersen who preceded him was not a good game day coach, his recruiting classes were fairly solid by Nebraska standards. Compare with what Greg walked into this year, with no prep/camp due to pandemic, and we have had a puncher's chance in every game except Ohio State.

Reactions: colbert17 and Kbee3
With the way Franklin can recruit, I dont see why they would fire him. Surround him with better coaches because he hasn't always used all that talent wisely. But he is an elite recruiter.

2020 is an odd year and I dont see him penalized for this year.

Besides, id like to see Schiano beat him and then steal his recrecruits.

Franklin has some off field antics he has to atone for. We will see how the cult handles more adversity.
Nebraska is in a tough spot in the BIG. They lost their recruiting base in Texas. Unless they can develop new recruiting pipeline they will continue the downward spiral. You would think Frosts Florida ties would be a great start.
Harbaugh who knows?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Might not leave or might even go to NFL. But as you probably know, Michigan fans ego's are through the roof and think it's the greatest job in the world.
I could be wrong , but my take is if he does leave Ames, he would go to the NFL. He was born and raised in Ohio. All my Ohio friends hate Michigan. And you are so right on Michigan fans. The most arrogant fans I ever met.

I agree he gets an extra year because of pedigree. Think Franklin and Harbaugh lead the hot seat convo, with JH having some of that same alum latitude.

But wtf is the rest of your comment trying to say? I ask because I hit a like after the first sentence but had to renege. Win me back.

Might not leave or might even go to NFL. But as you probably know, Michigan fans ego's are through the roof and think it's the greatest job in the world.
As pointed out above, Michigan fans are delusional and think that they can have anyone/anything. There is some Twitter chatter to go after Campbell. Who knows if he would go for it. For more money he would do it. It is an upgrade for him. Mullen left Miss. State for the Gators for more money.

Franklin has some off field antics he has to atone for. We will see how the cult handles more adversity.
Nebraska is in a tough spot in the BIG. They lost their recruiting base in Texas. Unless they can develop new recruiting pipeline they will continue the downward spiral. You would think Frosts Florida ties would be a great start.
Harbaugh who knows?
It’s remarkable Frost hasn’t had more success at Nebraska. He has near unlimited resources in Lincoln and recruiting knowledge/history in Florida and California. After all, when he was Chip Kelly’s OC at Oregon, you can’t tell me he had a built in recruiting base. Hell no, he had to leave the state to go to California! I guess...is it that impossible to convince a kid from CA or FL to go to Lincoln for 4/5 years?

It’s remarkable Frost hasn’t had more success at Nebraska. He has near unlimited resources in Lincoln and recruiting knowledge/history in Florida and California. After all, when he was Chip Kelly’s OC at Oregon, you can’t tell me he had a built in recruiting base. Hell no, he had to leave the state to go to California! I guess...is it that impossible to convince a kid from CA or FL to go to Lincoln for 4/5 years?
Speaking of Chip Kelly

Frost's buyout may be prohibitive.
Tom Herman has been a disappointment too.

It’s probably one of the best jobs in college football though. They pay well and it’s as high profile as you get. Anybody with any kind of ambition would take Michigan over Iowa State.

Their current coach could have had his choice of NFL jobs and chose Michigan. If RU was in the same situation, wouldn’t you be cocky too?

They've had their eye on Campbell for a long time. They think he'd be a good culture fit and like his midwest background. #1 target.
Fickell or Campbell would be good targets for them if they make a change. Bo was an Ohio guy and coached at OSU as an assistant so I don't think that would be stumbling block.

Fickell I think depends if he thinks he'll ever have a shot in the short term (say a few years) that OSU might open up. If not I think he'd go. Campbell I'd be shocked if he wouldn't leave ISU for Michigan. There's a limit to how much he can do at ISU and a Michigan opportunity doesn't come around every day.

Frost likely leading the way, with Harbaugh in second. Does Franklin get a pass, or do they find a reason to get rid of him?

Frost taking a beating today on Twitter.

Remember how this board was drooling over Frost after the massive and quick turnaround he pulled off at UCF. Of course now the tune has changed. Just like Babers among many others mentioned here. Mind you I still think he'll get another year. It's year 3 and a strange year too with the pandemic but who knows. I could have envisioned Muschamp being fired but wouldn't have expected it mid season so can never say for sure.

I always say you never know how coaches will do for sure until they make the step up and don't take short term results as anything more than that. Consistency is what you look for and that can only be seen with some time.

Remember how this board was drooling over Frost after the massive and quick turnaround he pulled off at UCF. Of course now the tune has changed. Just like Babers among many others mentioned here. Mind you I still think he'll get another year. It's year 3 and a strange year too with the pandemic but who knows. I could have envisioned Muschamp being fired but wouldn't have expected it mid season so can never say for sure.

I always say you never know how coaches will do for sure until they make the step up and don't take short term results as anything more than that. Consistency is what you look for and that can only be seen with some time.
What is going on with Aranda and Baylor? Rhule had them at 11-3 last year, and they are 1-6 now. Small sample size, and perhaps Baylor has had a lot of opt ours and covid issues?

What is going on with Aranda and Baylor? Rhule had them at 11-3 last year, and they are 1-6 now. Small sample size, and perhaps Baylor has had a lot of opt ours and covid issues?
Yea don’t know...not a good year for them. Haven’t seen many of their games just some of the WVU game. Not sure what they’ve lost from last year or if any injuries or Covid losses but their qb Brewer is still there and he’s been a solid qb for them.

Liked Aranda as a HC candidate as you know but like I said you don’t know until they take the step up. It’s an unusual year to be a first time HC with a whole extra layer of stuff to deal within addition to just the football. Just have to see how his tenure plays out.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yea don’t know...not a good year for them. Haven’t seen many of their games just some of the WVU game. Not sure what they’ve lost from last year or if any injuries but their qb Brewer is still there and he’s been a solid qb for them.

Liked Aranda as a HC candidate as you know but like I said you don’t know until they take the step up. It’s an unusual year to be a first time HC with a whole extra layer of stuff to deal within addition to just the football. Just have to see how his tenure plays out.
It's been a weird year and not sure how many firings there will be and how many attractive candidates are available. As you said, you never know. Frost is a surprise. A bigger surprise IMO is Les Miles. Granted Kansas was in bad shape, bit the Jayhawks are not showing any signs of life. Thought Miles would have done more sooner, but maybe it's too soon to tell. Chip Kelly MAY have things finally going in right direction at UCLA.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
It's been a weird year and not sure how many firings there will be and how many attractive candidates are available. As you said, you never know. Frost is a surprise. A bigger surprise IMO is Les Miles. Granted Kansas was in bad shape, bit the Jayhawks are not showing any signs of life. Thought Miles would have done more sooner, but maybe it's too soon to tell. Chip Kelly MAY have things finally going in right direction at UCLA.
Kansas is a tough place to win. I’m not sure Miles will get it done there. I always thought the choice of staff would be a big point there just like Brown at UNC.

Conversely no name Jonathan Smith doing a solid job at Oregon State. I’ve mentioned this last year but just missed out on a bowl in year two after Andersen debacle and now 2-2 with a nice win over Oregon last night. 3 out of 4 games within a score and the other a 10 point loss. Looks like they’re getting competitive. I think the win over rival Oregon last night was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2014.

Kansas is a tough place to win. I’m not sure Miles will get it done there. I always thought the choice of staff would be a big point there just like Brown at UNC.

Conversely no name Jonathan Smith doing a solid job at Oregon State. I’ve mentioned this last year but just missed out on a bowl in year two after Andersen debacle and now 2-2 with a nice win over Oregon last night. 3 out of 4 games within a score and the other a 10 point loss. Looks like they’re getting competitive. I think the win over rival Oregon last night was their first win over a ranked opponent since 2014.
Smith is an Oregon State alum too, he may be there a while

That Oregon - OSU game last night was awesome. Oregon State played a gritty game, and their starting QB got hurt in the second to last play before they scored with a Juco transfer QB taking his first game snap for OSU.

BTW, their QB, Tristan Gebbia, transferred from Nebraska. Gebbia had a couple of mediocre games, but he lit up Oregon last night. Maybe those Nebraska QB castaways are all diamonds in the rough. @huskersalways - perhaps he has some thoughts on Gebbia vs. Martinez.

That Oregon - OSU game last night was awesome. Oregon State played a gritty game, and their starting QB got hurt in the second to last play before they scored with a Juco transfer QB taking his first game snap for OSU.

BTW, their QB, Tristan Gebbia, transferred from Nebraska. Gebbia had a couple of mediocre games, but he lit up Oregon last night. Maybe those Nebraska QB castaways are all diamonds in the rough. @huskersalways - perhaps he has some thoughts on Gebbia vs. Martinez.

first thing I will put to rest is that Frost isn’t remotely close to the hot seat yet. He will get his 5yrs for certain.

Second thing is the $25mil buyout would happen in 3 phone calls if for any reason it was required

Gebbia is a good QB, a great kid and comes from a good(and super wealthy) family. He was given a chance in Lincoln but he isn’t a very good fit for what Frost wants to do. He has always been able to throw pretty well but his ability to run is pretty limited and is a very slightly built kid. I don’t think there is any way his body would survive the hits required to run Frost’s offense.

About 5 of the OSU kids that play for OSU are NU transfers that left when Frost was hired.

first thing I will put to rest is that Frost isn’t remotely close to the hot seat yet. He will get his 5yrs for certain.

Second thing is the $25mil buyout would happen in 3 phone calls if for any reason it was required

Gebbia is a good QB, a great kid and comes from a good(and super wealthy) family. He was given a chance in Lincoln but he isn’t a very good fit for what Frost wants to do. He has always been able to throw pretty well but his ability to run is pretty limited and is a very slightly built kid. I don’t think there is any way his body would survive the hits required to run Frost’s offense.

About 5 of the OSU kids that play for OSU are NU transfers that left when Frost was hired.
Your perspective is always appreciated here. Tough year for several blue chip teams this year.

Firing Frost would mean a program and fan base that would have to come back to the reality that we no longer live in a world of 25 - 35 years ago. Not going to happen. Personally Frost deserves more time and the opportunity to complete at least 5 years in his role. Also personally Nebraska can’t lose enough for me. I root for every Big 10 team to beat them and run up the score. Illinois victory against them was glorious to watch. Nebraska and Frost losing represents everything that is good about college football.

Reactions: shields
Firing Frost would mean a program and fan base that would have to come back to the reality that we no longer live in a world of 25 - 35 years ago. Not going to happen. Personally Frost deserves more time and the opportunity to complete at least 5 years in his role. Also personally Nebraska can’t lose enough for me. I root for every Big 10 team to beat them and run up the score. Illinois victory against them was glorious to watch. Nebraska and Frost losing represents everything that is good about college football.
Other than Nebraska trying to go their own way earlier this season against the wishes of the B1G, I have no animosity towards Nebbie. Their fans were great and so hospitable when we went to Lincoln a few years ago. Tough to lose that "top 10" program mentality if you are a fervent fan. Hell, we talk about 2006 as if it were yesterday.

Reactions: RURM85
Other than Nebraska trying to go their own way earlier this season against the wishes of the B1G, I have no animosity towards Nebbie. Their fans were great and so hospitable when we went to Lincoln a few years ago. Tough to lose that "top 10" program mentality if you are a fervent fan. Hell, we talk about 2006 as if it were yesterday.
I’ve always rooted against Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. We all have our own likes and dislikes. Wanting to go their own way earlier this year added fuel to my dislike of their program.

Nebraska might have done better by keeping Solich.

Yes, but they decided that 9-3 wasn't good enough. By now, they should know better. The next guy they hired (can't recall who it was but he may have been at Cal) started out with losing seasons, which I thought was richly deserved by Nebraska and its entitled fans.

Reactions: beaced
ADVERTISEMENT