ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Coach Hot Seat

Fickell or Campbell would be good targets for them if they make a change. Bo was an Ohio guy and coached at OSU as an assistant so I don't think that would be stumbling block.

Fickell I think depends if he thinks he'll ever have a shot in the short term (say a few years) that OSU might open up. If not I think he'd go. Campbell I'd be shocked if he wouldn't leave ISU for Michigan. There's a limit to how much he can do at ISU and a Michigan opportunity doesn't come around every day.

GS turned down Michigan to remain at Rutgers (he had also spurned Miami). The only thing that took him away from us was the call from an NFL team, coupled with no call inviting RU into the B1G, which occurred 8 months later. Had the B1G called first, GS would have been here to lead us into the B1G and I think the past 7 years would have been very different and infinitely more enjoyable for RU fans.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
GS turned down Michigan to remain at Rutgers (he had also spurned Miami). The only thing that took him away from us was the call from an NFL team, coupled with no call inviting RU into the B1G, which occurred 8 months later. Had the B1G called first, GS would have been here to lead us into the B1G and I think the past 7 years would have been very different and infinitely more enjoyable for RU fans.
I’m aware but that kind of thing isn’t usual if you’re talking about stepping up to a much bigger job.

Chris Petersen turned down some P5 jobs and some thought he’d be at Boise forever but one that was geographically perfect and a great fit for him opened up in Washington and he left. Outside of OSU, Michigan would be that for both Fickell and Campbell and a much higher profile program than Washington was for Petersen.

Couple of differences with Frost's first year.
He started out by losing 6 in a row, including to Troy, Purdue and getting annihilated by Michigan. This is Nebraska, not Rutgers. And while Andersen who preceded him was not a good game day coach, his recruiting classes were fairly solid by Nebraska standards. Compare with what Greg walked into this year, with no prep/camp due to pandemic, and we have had a puncher's chance in every game except Ohio State.
I’m assuming you meant mike Riley. If so, not a good game day football coach? Guy has been a HC in Canada, NFL, college and some league I never heard of. In total he has an above 500 record.

Frost likely leading the way, with Harbaugh in second. Does Franklin get a pass, or do they find a reason to get rid of him?

Frost taking a beating today on Twitter.

nebraska has the same problem purdue has with brohm and maybe that Rutgers will have with schiano...

who are they gonna get that’s going to go there and actually stay if they have success?

Purdue ain’t getting another Jeff brohm if they get rid of brohm (just saying if). They might get a guy as good as brohm who will be out the door the first second something better comes along.. but not a guy who will stay.

who wants to take the Nebraska job if frost leaves .. among the non ladder climbers? The fans ran guys out who won 9 games a year and big ten championships .. the fans think they are Ohio state, for real for real. You’re asking kids (and family who wants to watch them play) to go halfway to Manitoba. Unlike the Osborne era, Los Angeles kids laugh at you if you want them to leave so cal for Nebraska, no prop 48, no 150 scholarships, no PEDs.

trust me.. if they lose every game frost will be the coach going into the 2020 season

I’m assuming you meant mike Riley. If so, not a good game day football coach? Guy has been a HC in Canada, NFL, college and some league I never heard of. In total he has an above 500 record.
My bad on the name, yeah, Riley. But 4-8 is not a good game day coach in your 3rd year of Nebraska with your wins against Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois and Ark. State, while losing to N. Illinois and getting pasted by a crappy Minnesota team. Maybe it was a bad year. But you can do worse and retain your job if have the good looks and a Nebraska pedigree evenwith a sexual assault scandal.

nebraska has the same problem purdue has with brohm and maybe that Rutgers will have with schiano...

who are they gonna get that’s going to go there and actually stay if they have success?

Purdue ain’t getting another Jeff brohm if they get rid of brohm (just saying if). They might get a guy as good as brohm who will be out the door the first second something better comes along.. but not a guy who will stay.

who wants to take the Nebraska job if frost leaves .. among the non ladder climbers? The fans ran guys out who won 9 games a year and big ten championships .. the fans think they are Ohio state, for real for real. You’re asking kids (and family who wants to watch them play) to go halfway to Manitoba. Unlike the Osborne era, Los Angeles kids laugh at you if you want them to leave so cal for Nebraska, no prop 48, no 150 scholarships, no PEDs.

trust me.. if they lose every game frost will be the coach going into the 2020 season
How does a Purdue fan have the handle BCFanatic?

That’s the same problem for all but like 10 schools.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
My bad on the name, yeah, Riley. But 4-8 is not a good game day coach in your 3rd year of Nebraska with your wins against Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois and Ark. State, while losing to N. Illinois and getting pasted by a crappy Minnesota team. Maybe it was a bad year. But you can do worse and retain your job if have the good looks and a Nebraska pedigree evenwith a sexual assault scandal.
He came in and tried to totally change the offense. The fans weren’t happy about it. He was doomed from day 1. He was 93-80 at Oregon State. That’s one of the hardest jobs in football. In year 2 at Nebraska he won 9 games. He didn’t get fired because he wasn’t going to get it done. He got fired because it was time for the prodigal son to come home.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That’s the same problem for all but like 10 schools.

true but I’d say much more pronounced at Nebraska .. at Purdue it doesn’t matter if we win 6 games and if we win 8, we are giddy. At Nebraska, they have no more ability to do anything than most of the Big and if you win 9 games, you’re an ass hole

He came in and tried to totally change the offense. The fans weren’t happy about it. He was doomed from day 1. He was 93-80 at Oregon State. That’s one of the hardest jobs in football. In year 2 at Nebraska he won 9 games. He didn’t get fired because he wasn’t going to get it done. He got fired because it was time for the prodigal son to come home.
I agree that he has a fine coaching record elsewhere. Maybe I should have said he was a bad game day coach for Nebraska. I find it comical that the prodigal son sucks worse at Nebraska than his predecessor who had a longer body of winning work. Maybe Frost will turn it around--eventually. Dennis Erickson deserves credit for turning the tide of losing at Oregon State, but Riley deserves credit for carrying that torch an keeping it lit. OSU may have found their next savior in Jonathan Smith.

Reactions: vkj91
first thing I will put to rest is that Frost isn’t remotely close to the hot seat yet. He will get his 5yrs for certain.

Second thing is the $25mil buyout would happen in 3 phone calls if for any reason it was required
Your comments dovetail what my brother (Pastor in Lincoln) has told me - Frost will get time to do his thing and there are deep pocket donors who would cough up that money in a heartbeat.

true but I’d say much more pronounced at Nebraska .. at Purdue it doesn’t matter if we win 6 games and if we win 8, we are giddy. At Nebraska, they have no more ability to do anything than most of the Big and if you win 9 games, you’re an ass hole
This I can agree with. The problem isn’t Nebraska, it’s the older fans that donate money. Hopefully next generation of Husker fans have realistic expectations.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
This I can agree with. The problem isn’t Nebraska, it’s the older fans that donate money. Hopefully next generation of Husker fans have realistic expectations.

On the topic of Nebraska as a problem..

I’d say most of us from the Big11Ten days have no issue with Rutgers or Maryland. Most I’ve come across don’t want Nebraska anymore

ADVERTISEMENT