ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Commish: Nebraska can play in the XII “as a ‘former member‘ of the Big Ten Conference”

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
Wow ... by even making this statement, it takes the twitter “rumors” by wishful media and fans, and makes them a legitimate concern. Could Nebraska truly leave the Big Ten, leaving millions and millions on the table for years to come, along with as much stability as you can find these days in college athletics, for the Big XII on nothing but emotion of today and dreams of yesteryear?

I think the message is simple. B1G teams are not playing football with another league this fall. Period. If they do, then they're not B1G schools anymore.

So shut your pie-whole, stop all this silly talk about playing elsewhere and get in line with the rest of the league or take a hike.

Pushing the season back should be an option, start the season around Thanksgiving time (hopefully a vaccine or cure will be available by then), play ten games, most south and west teams can play at home during the cold months, as for teams up north, there is plenty of dome stadiums (Syracuse, Indy, Detroit, Minneapolis, Fargo, etc) that we could have teams play in, this way the season extends no further than past February.

Reactions: newell138
Yep. They should allow a one year moratorium for schools that want to play elsewhere and conferences that are playing. One year super conference.
It'll depend on how hard the big dogs in our conference push it. No way BIG would boot those high profile teams for good. RU better be ready to follow the leader(s) if it happens.

Wow ... by even making this statement, it takes the twitter “rumors” by wishful media and fans, and makes them a legitimate concern. Could Nebraska truly leave the Big Ten, leaving millions and millions on the table for years to come, along with as much stability as you can find these days in college athletics, for the Big XII on nothing but emotion of today and dreams of yesteryear?
Where did you get that quote? Seems like fake news.

When Warren was asked yesterday if Nebraska can play football this fall, he said. "No, not as a member of this conference."

Meh. Average at best football program with a Coach that has a big mouth, and really bad basketball albeit a good Coach. If they leave someone else will jump at the extra money. I’d be surprised if they left, however wouldn’t miss them if it comes to be. Think Nebraska is a much better fit for the Big 12, institutionally and athletically.

Yep. They should allow a one year moratorium for schools that want to play elsewhere and conferences that are playing. One year super conference.
Agreed.. the conference did their part. They do not support playing football this fall. They do "own" the TV rights.. so some accommodations should be made there for Big Ten teams playing home games. But then you have liability for the BTN TV crews if they are involved at all.

Stilll.. it could be done and probably should be done... they could have testing and procedural rules be tested. That is, use whatever rules the Big Ten will have for Spring football for these programs that want to go their own way on this... see how it works before the Spring.

It'll depend on how hard the big dogs in our conference push it. No way BIG would boot those high profile teams for good. RU better be ready to follow the leader(s) if it happens.
If RU were to follow the leaders if others decide to play outside our league it really could blow up in our faces, we don’t even have a full share yet and still are a weak link in Big Football, the Big could make an example out of RU and drop us very quickly, and then we got bigger problems.

I’d love to see Warrens reaction if Ohio State , Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin plans to do the same. Bet it would be a lot different.

His comment towards Nebraska was not warranted. They want to play and should seek refuge to do so if another conference opines for the year
why would they do that, their school presidents all just voted not to play.

I’d love to see Warrens reaction if Ohio State , Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin plans to do the same. Bet it would be a lot different.

His comment towards Nebraska was not warranted. They want to play and should seek refuge to do so if another conference opines for the year

If you think Warren was harsh, it's a good thing you didn't have to see what Jim Delany's reaction to their insurrection would have been.

Reading the statements form the various schools last night I would say that Wisconsin's statement was the most supportive. Michigan's and TOSU were somehow supportive and Nebraska was rogue.

Delaney always said the school presidents made the decisions and I believe that's what happened here. If the vote was 10-2 it was fairly decisive.

I agree with the statement about Nebraska - go play elsewhere and stay there.

What I heard is Warren telling the Twitter speculators and deranged fans to just summer down.
Frost might shot off his mouth but I can't believe answering this question in a public forum was necessary for him to communicate with the University leadership.

If RU were to follow the leaders if others decide to play outside our league it really could blow up in our faces, we don’t even have a full share yet and still are a weak link in Big Football, the Big could make an example out of RU and drop us very quickly, and then we got bigger problems.
If the top dogs make the move I don't see how every B1G school could not follow. Think of the negative recruiting spin against conference teams that sit-out a year when we get back to normal in a year or two--again assuming other schools do go the route of playing outside the conf this fall.

This all gets to the larger issue. Why is conference loyalty so important when the conference cancelled the thing they are there to do in the first place?

Reactions: RUaMoose
why would they do that, their school presidents all just voted not to play.
It wasn't a unanimous vote. Nebraska and Iowa voted to play.

But I agree with those who say this is a hollow threat by Nebraska and anyone else looking to play out of conference. It would cost them an exorbitant amount of money to regain their media rights to go and make less money. Any President would be an idiot to even consider the proposition of saving one lost season opposed to a lifetime of a more lucrative contract.

It wasn't a unanimous vote. Nebraska and Iowa voted to play.

But I agree with those who say this is a hollow threat by Nebraska and anyone else looking to play out of conference. It would cost them an exorbitant amount of money to regain their media rights to go and make less money. Any President would be an idiot to even consider the proposition for one lost season opposed to a lifetime of making more.
I'm aware he said Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan though.

Seriously. RU should definitely not do that.

Nebraska would never leave the B1G. The Big 12 is a hot mess, and they left for good reasons that haven't changed (Texas gets special treatment, money not nearly as good). Nebraska can and will bitch away, but won't amount to anything.

I think the message is simple. B1G teams are not playing football with another league this fall. Period. If they do, then they're not B1G schools anymore.

So shut your pie-whole, stop all this silly talk about playing elsewhere and get in line with the rest of the league or take a hike.
Dear god, I think I agree with you!

1% chance Rutgers would ever get invited into this super conference.

Even less of a percentage that we would be able to compete in this super conference.
I think a one-year schedule more like an independent with some AAC, ACC games-maybe Arky again?- along with B1G teams that presumably play in the fall sounds right for us. Again, if no B1G teams play this fall then we can also sit it out.

If the top dogs make the move I don't see how every B1G school could not follow. Think of the negative recruiting spin against conference teams that sit-out a year when we get back to normal in a year or two--again assuming other schools do go the route of playing outside the conf this fall.
If the top dogs all wanted to play, then the league would have likely voted that way. They didn't vote that way, so the top dogs aren't going to force the issue.

What a cluster...an entertaining one!! I want the corn to crawl back to the b12...and I want them to have to kiss the ring of the big stinky steer as they do so...come on corn...do it! Your old B8 pals KU ISU OSU OU and KSU are waiting! They can pretend it is the 70-90s all over again!

What a cluster...an entertaining one!! I want the corn to crawl back to the b12...and I want them to have to kiss the ring of the big stinky steer as they do so...come on corn...do it! Your old B8 pals KU ISU OSU OU and KSU are waiting! They can pretend it is the 70-90s all over again!
I agree with this. If it's only Nebby then don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Well after they pay the exit fee toll of course.

B1G will change its tune if tOSU, JoPaSt, Iowa and others start looking at the same deal.

PlanB time Hobbs.
NU ain't OSU or PSU. Coach Osbourne isn't coming back. NU has a great tradition, but you have to bring more than that to the table these days. The lack of eyeballs in Nebraska will not add a lot to a conference's tv deal. OSU is a strong program in a big state. PSU is a strong program in a big state. Iowa is a better program than NU but has similar problems with a small population in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT