ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Commish: Nebraska can play in the XII “as a ‘former member‘ of the Big Ten Conference”

I think a one-year schedule more like an independent with some AAC, ACC games-maybe Arky again?- along with B1G teams that presumably play in the fall sounds right for us. Again, if no B1G teams play this fall then we can also sit it out.

This isn't happening. Why do you keep talking about it?

Btw ..getting our asses kicked by AAC teams before getting kicked out of the B1G is a better recruiting strategy than worrying about neg-recruiting from teams that chose corona-ball?

Well that’s currently the plan, so we’ll see.
Ask anybody who ever played college football if it’s feasible and see what they say. It’s a carrot they are dangling for boosters. If they were silly enough to try, not only would it screw up next season but you’d lose every single potential NFL player. I know a kid at RU whose people have already told me there is zero chance he plays. Probably little chance he even stays enrolled. Just start training for pro days now.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
This isn't happening. Why do you keep talking about it?

Btw ..getting our asses kicked by AAC teams before getting kicked out of the B1G is a better recruiting strategy than worrying about neg-recruiting from teams that chose corona-ball?
Maybe, maybe not, relax fran. And you're missing what I said about the conditions under which RU should be ready to play this fall. Why do you say AAC teams kick our azz?

Reactions: goru1869
Bad look for the conference on both sides. Nebby could have said while disappointed by the Cof decision as a peer institution we abide by the majority decision. Warren, while not wrong, could have delivered the message privately to the NU administration. The conf is already taking flak for not playing and this only worsens the optics.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
1% chance Rutgers would ever get invited into this super conference.

Even less of a percentage that we would be able to compete in this super conference.

Never said anything about competing. If it is done on scale, of course they need some patsies.

Of course, it will never happen. Rutgers is a follower, not a leader.

Yep. They should allow a one year moratorium for schools that want to play elsewhere and conferences that are playing. One year super conference.
Yeah and that will give the B1G schools who dont want Rutgers in the conference enough to have them kicked out of the B10 after the super conferences are made. Then what?

Reactions: Greg2020
If they were silly enough to try, not only would it screw up next season but you’d lose every single potential NFL player. I know a kid at RU whose people have already told me there is zero chance he plays. Probably little chance he even stays enrolled. Just start training for pro days now.
Not being snippy, but do we really have someone on our squad who's going to be drafted? All I see is a few FA pickups with maybe one or two who will make it past the 1st week of practice and this includes the transfers in.

Yeah and that will give the B1G schools who dont want Rutgers in the conference enough to have them kicked out of the B10 after the super conferences are made. Then what?

Half of these schools want to play too. It will give us more clout. What then? Join the acc. Obviously the Rutgers market is something special even though we aren't.

Not being snippy, but do we really have someone on our squad who's going to be drafted? All I see is a few FA pickups with maybe one or two who will make it past the 1st week of practice and this includes the transfers in.

If you are top 10ish potential draft pick and not in a conference who is playing, your draft stock is hugely impacted and there is very little reason to play spring football at that point. The draft is late April, right in the middle of what would be the so called season. Makes no sense to play at that point .

We're not getting kicked out if all or almost all of our B1G bros go outside conference and play this fall.

If you are top 10ish potential draft pick and not in a conference who is playing, your draft stock is hugely impacted and there is very little reason to play spring football at that point. The draft is late April, right in the middle of what would be the so called season. Makes no sense to play at that point .
I'd bet a top 3-ish round NFL draft prospect likely opts out for any Spring ball.

Reactions: vkj91 and Ronnie_B
Half of these schools want to play too. It will give us more clout. What then? Join the acc. Obviously the Rutgers market is something special even though we aren't.
If Rutgers can get into whatever "Superconference" with the guarantee that they will be taken care of within this conference, whether the B10, ACC, SuperEast16, whatever, then go for it. But if they try to go rogue (like Nebraska, Iowa and some others who allegedly wants to play) and try to play a "non B10 schedule", then that will give the conference the excuse to kick Rutgers out without ever paying RU a full share while everyone else reaped the benefits. EVERYONE nationally wants to relegate Rutgers out for being an embarrassment (Thanks Ash and Jordan). And this would be the perfect time to kick them out before Basketball proves that they're not a fluke and Schiano turn things around.

With the Pandemic taken over the world, it looks like the old ways of doing things in the NCAA are done. Heck, look at the last 24 hours. Its chaos now with conferences taking shots at each other.

We're not getting kicked out if all or almost all of our B1G bros go outside conference and play this fall.
Hope you're right but things have a chance to be EVERY MAN FOR THEMSELVES soon. OSU, Michigan, PSU and some of the other B1G Bros can handle themselves. Trenton might see this as a chance to shut Rutgers down.

1. Where is there any indication whatsoever of that happening?

2. We're on the same level as OSU and Michigan, teams basically synonymous with Big 10? College sports has no history of demolishing less powerful programs while letting the big boys slide?

3. Why do we want to risk it just to be a patsy in a garbage-time season again?

4. Why do you keep talking about this like it's worthwhile?

Ok and not arguing that point. We don't have a top 10 player let alone a top 255 player. My post was directed towards who does Rutgers have who thinks he's going to get drafted? As I see nothing but FA's in which most will be cut in the 1st week.

Reactions: scripts
1. Where is there any indication whatsoever of that happening?

2. We're on the same level as OSU and Michigan, teams basically synonymous with Big 10? College sports has no history of demolishing less powerful programs while letting the big boys slide?

3. Why do we want to risk it just to be a patsy in a garbage-time season again?

4. Why do you keep talking about this like it's worthwhile?
still waiting....
Show your math work.

still waiting....

Math is right there in the post. An awful lot of risk and negative for exactly no positive provided by you. Or does..."durrrrr, I get to get drunk with my buddies watching meaningless football ever Saturday" somehow negate all the question marks and sure negatives?

This discussion is no longer worth having, but you enjoy your super-lame fantasy world.

Math is right there in the post. An awful lot of risk and negative for exactly no positive provided by you. Or does..."durrrrr, I get to get drunk with my buddies watching meaningless football ever Saturday" somehow negate all the question marks and sure negatives?

This discussion is no longer worth having, but you enjoy your super-lame fantasy world.
LOL "math"--no franny, what you posted is a bunch of doomsday hypotheticals from a super-lame loser perspective. If you want to play with the big boyz: #toughen-up

LOL "math"--no franny, what you posted is a bunch of doomsday hypotheticals from a super-lame loser perspective. If you want to play with the big boyz: #toughen-up

But you have us scheduling AAC teams. That's playing with the "Big Boyz" ..lmao. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously, just get drunk while doing something different on Saturdays. Start now; you might actually become more coherent and see how absolutely stupid your nonstarter of an idea is.

Sure they can. Them leaving hurts the B1G too.

It would hurt NU much more. This conference would be fine without them. NU would owe the conference probably at or near 50 million if they were to bolt the B1G. There are contractual clauses about prior notice and fees for leaving. Not to mention the B1G would own the tv rights to NU for years to come if they were to leave this fall without heeding the contracts requirements for leaving.

Reactions: miket007
But you have us scheduling AAC teams. That's playing with the "Big Boyz" ..lmao. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously, just get drunk while doing something different on Saturdays. Start now; you might actually become more coherent and see how absolutely stupid your nonstarter of an idea is.
Umm so there are no decent AAC teams? Geez talk about not having a clue franny. The point is if the other B1G teams play this fall, we need to play. And what's wrong with a schedule of AAC, ACC--as previously noted, an Arky as previously noted(SEC ding ding), B12 games?

Umm so there are no decent AAC teams? Geez talk about not having a clue franny. The point is if the other B1G teams play this fall, we need to play. And what's wrong with a schedule of AAC, ACC--as previously noted, an Arky as previously noted(SEC ding ding), B12 games?

Are decent AAC teams now equivalent of cfb "Big Boyz"??

That's what your argument has been relegated to.

Are decent AAC teams now equivalent of cfb "Big Boyz"??

That's what your argument has been relegated to.
Man you're unhinged franny---so the perennial CFB powers never play AAC teams? LMAO.

Oh btw Cinci and UCF are ranked in the preseason Top 25.

Glad to see you leaving this discussion that was "not worth having". #LosingIt

Ask anybody who ever played college football if it’s feasible and see what they say. It’s a carrot they are dangling for boosters. If they were silly enough to try, not only would it screw up next season but you’d lose every single potential NFL player. I know a kid at RU whose people have already told me there is zero chance he plays. Probably little chance he even stays enrolled. Just start training for pro days now.

Sorry, not ever player thinks that.

Man you're unhinged franny---so the perennial CFB powers never play AAC teams? LMAO.

Oh btw Cinci and UCF are ranked in the preseason Top 25.

Glad to see you leaving this discussion that was "not worth having". #LosingIt

Let's just boil it down. You completely made up a fantasy about RU following the Blue Bloods lead to play a meaningless OOC season. This after said Blue Blood programs voted against a season and the only thing we have to suggest anyone leaving is bluster from NU's flailing HC, who doesn't have authority to make that decision to begin with.

After fabricating this fantasy scenario out of nothing, you proceeded to provide exactly 0 compelling reasons as to why it would benefit RU. Completely off the top of my head, I provided multiple pitfalls as to why it's not a good idea. I

You lose ...both the argument and the reality of this not happening. Now go sit in the back of the class and don't speak FB ideas again until this whole pandemic thing is over. We don't actually expect you to learn anything; just don't open your mouth and disrupt everyone else.

Isn't there a lot more to just playing football in a different conference involved here? I don't believe it is an AD or even Booster decision. Nebraska is one thing but would a University like OSU/Mich etc ever decide to leave the B1G in a 1 year reactionary move like this?
Much much more at stake than football. Which 2 years from now, worst case, is back to normal.

Reactions: mildone
Let's just boil it down. You completely made up a fantasy about RU following the Blue Bloods lead to play a meaningless OOC season. This after said Blue Blood programs voted against a season and the only thing we have to suggest anyone leaving is bluster from NU's flailing HC, who doesn't have authority to make that decision to begin with.

After fabricating this fantasy scenario out of nothing, you proceeded to provide exactly 0 compelling reasons as to why it would benefit RU. Completely off the top of my head, I provided multiple pitfalls as to why it's not a good idea. I

You lose ...both the argument and the reality of this not happening. Now go sit in the back of the class and don't speak FB ideas again until this whole pandemic thing is over. We don't actually expect you to learn anything; just don't open your mouth and disrupt everyone else.
Sorry franny but you're way off in the deep end again. There is plenty of talk about B1G teams playing this fall--probably a long shot, but if some do then yes we absolutely need to if we want to ever be considered more than an also ran in the future. But we get it, you're ok with the typical Rutgers small ball approach to CFB, and more losing to the likes Illinois, Indiana, Purdue etc.

1% chance Rutgers would ever get invited into this super conference.

Even less of a percentage that we would be able to compete in this super conference.

‘We said the same thing 10 years ago prior to our B1G invite.

Sorry franny but you're way off the ledge again. There is plenty of talk about B1G teams playing this fall--probably a long shot, but if some do then yes we absolutely need to if we want to ever be considered more than an also ran in the future. But we get it, you're ok with the typical Rutgers small ball approach to CFB, and more losing to the likes Illinois, Indiana, Purdue etc.

A colorful fiction writer could not even create a more RU small ball move than pissing off a conference we're not even yet a full member of to play a meaningless schedule stocked with nobodies who no one cares if we beat.

That's the best case scenario. We're very likely to come out with a losing record during that season since, you know, we've been a ferociously awful FB team for years. All a losing season does is cool some of that new coach shine off Schiano ...for no reason. We'd actually have gone out of our way to create an outcome worse than just putting our head down and being a loyal conference member.

Now, what if RU has a Covid outbreak ..like we already HAVE ... and players develop serious complications. Or it becomes the root of a cfb-wide spread?

And you still never answered this conundrum: If the B1G wants to set a precedent of upholding its rules and contractual obligations, which I bet it might, who do they make an example of: the foundational pillars of the conference and cfb at large ...or the newest member who everyone in the country not of direct material relation thinks should not be there to begin with, and has yet to prove its worth on the field of play?

Oh yeah, and if you wanted to provide that single argument of why -- in a very loose, "not actually happening but just for funsies..." type of way -- it would benefit us, now would be a good time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT