ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Commish: Nebraska can play in the XII “as a ‘former member‘ of the Big Ten Conference”

Is there some clause or wording on any legal document that says NU cannot play for itself for one year if the rest of the conference decides to opt out?

Obviously if they officially join the B12, they will get B12 money.

That wouldn't happen though. The B1G cancelling the season has opened up the doors for these schools to consider 1 year options elsewhere.
Big 12 doesn't even distribute conference money evenly among existing members, and you think Nebraska could waltz in and collect a full share on Day 1? Puff puff pass, bro.

So did Colorado, Texas A&M,and Missouri. They almost lost Texas and Oklahoma too.That conference is hanging on by a thread

It wasn't a unanimous vote. Nebraska and Iowa voted to play.

But I agree with those who say this is a hollow threat by Nebraska and anyone else looking to play out of conference. It would cost them an exorbitant amount of money to regain their media rights to go and make less money. Any President would be an idiot to even consider the proposition of saving one lost season opposed to a lifetime of a more lucrative contract.
Yes and no, whether we want to admit it or not if Nebraska, Michigan, tOSU, and PSU all choose to leave and play in the fall (which they all have talked about) this conference will crumble faster than the old Big East from an athletic standpoint. All this talk of our full share in 2027 will be for nothing. We need the big dogs in our conference for that full share money. Watch what that becomes if the Blue Bloods leave...

Big 12 doesn't even distribute conference money evenly among existing members, and you think Nebraska could waltz in and collect a full share on Day 1? Puff puff pass, bro.
Who said anything about full share? Though clearly they are valuable. The B1G chose them.

Nebraska wouldn’t leave the B1G unless they are kicked out. They just want to play football for a year when the conference they are in decided to suspend sponsoring the sport.

Yes and no, whether we want to admit it or not if Nebraska, Michigan, tOSU, and PSU all choose to leave and play in the fall (which they all have talked about) this conference will crumble faster than the old Big East from an athletic standpoint. All this talk of our full share in 2027 will be for nothing. We need the big dogs in our conference for that full share money. Watch what that becomes if the Blue Bloods leave...
But those presidents all voted to not play. So it's a hypothetical situation that didn't materialize already. A couple coaches spoke out of line, that's it, posturing with no real power.

But those presidents all voted to not play. So it's a hypothetical situation that didn't materialize already. A couple coaches spoke out of line, that's it, posturing with no real power.
Understood but that can easily be changed with enough public pressure. And the alumni and donor bases of those schools really have the final say not the president. All of those schools’ coaches have publicly come out and said they want to play in the fall. This story isn’t over and like I said, Nebraska is one thing but if tOSU, Michigan and PSU all bolt that is financially devastating to this conference for any future tv contracts and our future shared revenue.

Understood but that can easily be changed with enough public pressure. And the alumni and donor bases of those schools really have the final say not the president. All of those schools’ coaches have publicly come out and said they want to play in the fall. This story isn’t over and like I said, Nebraska is one thing but if tOSU, Michigan and PSU all bolt that is financially devastating to this conference for any future tv contracts and our future shared revenue.
In a written statement, the University of Nebraska president just reaffirmed the school's commitment to the Big Ten

Since you want to go the law route, do you think there is a clause in the contract that Nebraska signed which allows them to go against conference directives, temporarily withdrawal from the league, then reenter the league whenever they please? To me that constitutes abandonment and they will, in effect, be kicking themselves out of the B1G. And in most major conferences, there are usually monetary penalties for leaving your league. So a penalty for leaving, a probable partial share of a Big12 payout for years, and less top end payout once they are a full share would not be in the best interest for Nebraska in the long run. It would be a lose, lose, lose proposition for the Cornmen.
I don't have an answer but agree w Calis point and your questions. I don't know the specifics of if B1G has the power to kick someone out of the conference, or better said, what's required to do that. Nothing is ever black and white, but if conference itself isn't playing, I'd imagine there's quite a bit of grey here.

Is there some clause or wording on any legal document that says NU cannot play for itself for one year if the rest of the conference decides to opt out?
Can anyone answer this?

If B1G choses to take the year off why can't a team take the B1G patch off their jersey, soley represent their Unv., get to LSU, suit up and play and go home.

We are not talking here Nebraska going rouge WHILE the B1G is fully operational. The B1G (who every the hell that is) shut down for the season telling everyone else to stay in their homes.

The Paul Revere in me is disturbed by the handcuffing here. Especially when when the Power Brokers are sitting on the sidelines.

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
This is what happens when you appoint a commissioner for reasons other than skill and qualifications.
If you believe this, your beef is with Delany.....it's understood that he hand-picked Warren to be his successor after a considerable tenure with multiple NFL organizations. The guy has been around the business and legal side of professional football for two-plus decades. Whether that prepared him for a collegiate-level athletic commissioner role might be debatable.

There are many on this board that seem to think that B1G decisions are made by either the commissioner or the football coaches.
The University presidents run the show.

I just don't see how a school, OSU/Mich/Neb can "just decide" to play football for a different conference for a year and then just come back like nothing ever happened. As BL mentions above- this is not a football decision. What President in his right mind is going to make that decision in the first place and without knowing what is in the bylaws or contracts, I would have to guess the legal issues would take longer than the season itself.

In a written statement, the University of Nebraska president just reaffirmed the school's commitment to the Big Ten
I fully understand and it looks like nothing will come of it, but again I reiterate with enough public backlash ANYTHING can change. For a close to home example, Tennesee was all set to hire Greg Schiano a few years back and look what happened

They have signed a grant of rights (as RU has) with the B1G. As long as the B1G is planning to a spring season, then Nebraska would have to leave the conference because they can't play in the spring after playing in the fall and the B1G would own their TV rights.

We saw a rare B1G leak earlier in the week. The official announcement was Tuesday, yet we heard this on Sunday. Something tells me the leak came from Lincoln, NE and they were trying to pressure the B1G into a different course of action. They went all "Hook 'em Horns" on the conference. Damn, no wonder they took the spot RU was going to get in 2011. They want to be Texas, but can't out-Texas Texas.

Michigan and Ohio State aren't playing anywhere this fall, so no need to worry about that scenario.

https://www.10tv.com/article/sports...the Big Ten,someone outside of our conference.

Reactions: RURM85
They have signed a grant of rights (as RU has) with the B1G. As long as the B1G is planning to a spring season, then Nebraska would have to leave the conference because they can't play in the spring after playing in the fall and the B1G would own their TV rights.

We saw a rare B1G leak earlier in the week. The official announcement was Tuesday, yet we heard this on Sunday. Something tells me the leak came from Lincoln, NE and they were trying to pressure the B1G into a different course of action. They went all "Hook 'em Horns" on the conference. Damn, no wonder they took the spot RU was going to get in 2011. They want to be Texas, but can't out-Texas Texas.

I think the leak may also be because the big ten was trying to get other conferences on board (after they did not do so with the scheduling announcement in early July). As soon as you do that, leaks are possible. Still, leak or no leak, I don't think anything this disjointed ever happened with Delany, and likely would not have this time either. He would have settled things ahead of time and the vote would have been "unanimous," just as all other conference votes always were publicly.

Reactions: sherrane
If you believe this, your beef is with Delany.....it's understood that he hand-picked Warren to be his successor after a considerable tenure with multiple NFL organizations. The guy has been around the business and legal side of professional football for two-plus decades. Whether that prepared him for a collegiate-level athletic commissioner role might be debatable.

Not an easy position for anyone to step into. The reason the timing was picked was because it was thought the next big thing with the conference would be the next TV deal and there was ample time for a new commish to get his feet wet. Instead, Warren had no time at all to get acquainted. Obviously, if what happened was predictable, Delany stays on for another year. Warren will probably do fine in the end and will learn from this. Like many other things related to covid, this was a perfect storm to bring out the weakness of the new commishioner.

Good. But it will still hurt the Big10 if the SEC, ACC and B12 do play this Fall and there are no health catastrophes.

I would disagree in the sense that if the Big Ten plays in the spring and does so successfully, that would certainly lessen the hurt.

I also think it is very likely that there won't be any immediate big health issues (though it is certainly possible there could be), but rather some immediate issues and some additional issues that pop up longer term. This would be entirely consistent with 2020 where everything seems to be in the gray area that ends up with people disagreeing. For example, if it proceeds for a while and goes like baseball, whether that is a success or not will be in the eye of the beholder.

Of course, it's also possible that B12 / SEC / ACC play a few games and then stop (which again, will be the subject of differing opinions), or don't play at all.

Reactions: RU-05
Good. But it will still hurt the Big10 if the SEC, ACC and B12 do play this Fall and there are no health catastrophes.

Just to go further into this, today, some Florida State players publicly stated that they've been "lied to" about the health of their teammates. Presumably, the school is not being upfront with Covid. The Big Ten's move certainly stops all such stories from coming out.

On the other hand, this is a valid opinion too: https://www.grandhaventribune.com/s...cle_25f6545d-55ad-5dc4-a681-1150a1f57fef.html

Reactions: TRU2RU
Nebraska emailed a poll to the entire faculty last night, asking if they would be in favor of leaving the B1G, 90% of the responding faculty wanted to stay in the B1G

If the big 3 suddenly decided they wanted to play this fall, the BIG would be playing football this fall. I can not see a scenario where they would have to leave.

As far as setting back the conference, I think the opposite is very possible. Even if the rest of CFB plays this fall and has a nice season, the BIG (and PAC12) get to have their own unique spring season dominating the media and making once in a lifetime (hopefully) stories of the year they played in the spring. Could be a very good thing for the conference.

If the big 3 suddenly decided they wanted to play this fall, the BIG would be playing football this fall. I can not see a scenario where they would have to leave.

As far as setting back the conference, I think the opposite is very possible. Even if the rest of CFB plays this fall and has a nice season, the BIG (and PAC12) get to have their own unique spring season dominating the media and making once in a lifetime (hopefully) stories of the year they played in the spring. Could be a very good thing for the conference.

Plus, they'll know if playing was a total Covid shitshow or not and will have more info about health problems, vaccines, treatments, etc.

If UM and the buckeyes decided to play, Warren would change his tune ASAP...he’s not kicking those two out...PERIOD

Reactions: RURM85
If UM and the buckeyes decided to play, Warren would change his tune ASAP...he’s not kicking those two out...PERIOD

While I agree with you, AD Smith wanted to delay the Conference's decision and move back the schedule to allow more time for evaluation. He didn't get his way, noting I have no idea if the OSU President and Smith were aligned in their position.

hurt is an understatement. This could set the conference back strategically for several years
What I want to know is there plan for 2021 assuming things are "back to normal" enough to have a traditional 2021 fall season. How are we going to have a srping season with the Combine in April and the Draft in May? Then say they do pull it off are they really going to put college kids through 2 separate seasons within a 9 month window? You know how many kids would get hurt putting their bodies through that?

Nebraska emailed a poll to the entire faculty last night, asking if they would be in favor of leaving the B1G, 90% of the responding faculty wanted to stay in the B1G
What leadership by the school president.

What I want to know is there plan for 2021 assuming things are "back to normal" enough to have a traditional 2021 fall season. How are we going to have a srping season with the Combine in April and the Draft in May? Then say they do pull it off are they really going to put college kids through 2 separate seasons within a 9 month window? You know how many kids would get hurt putting their bodies through that?

There are already plans coming together: https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-shifts-focus-to-spring-season-it-can-be-done-191255677.html

Here's one aspect of one plan that limits the contact players would go through: "Perhaps most important to Brohm are the ways to protect players from injury and avoid wearing them down. It includes a proposal for only one padded football practice a week in both the spring and the fall, and no traditional spring practice in 2022. Brohm details how over a two-season span, the number of padded practices would be reduced from 144 padded practices to 64 padded practices. By giving the players the spring of 2022 off, it would mark a seven-month break from practice."

the poll you are referencing was not just to the faculty. Anybody could vote and it wasn’t done by NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT