ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Expansion talk should start

B1G is already in 5 of the top 10 most populous states and 4 of the top 10 DMAs. Why does it need to water itself down with a non-contiguous leap into the south?

Feels a lot like a decade or so ago when the cfb braintrust was predicting the downfall of the B1G because of population loss, talent loss, blah, blah, blah ...yeah, that didn't happen.

U of T, sure. Outside of that, no NEED.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Top 2 choices are UNC & UVA
GA Tech, FSU & Kansas would also be solid additions
ND & Texas are pie in the sky options, and OU is tied in w the Pokes
This about sums it up, although I personally don't get Kansas as much as some others. It seems like another step towards the middle, rather than a move east or south, which feels more valuable. Also, their football is lousy and basketball is just not as important anymore. They would be a distant last of the group above that you listed for me. I agree with the rest. Anything much beyond that, becomes untenable quickly for one reason or another. Regardless, the GOR locks it all in for some time, unless the Big 12 or PAC12 implodes before that. Otherwise, it just cant happen.

I am in favor of any expansion that moves the conference eastward. Adding Oklahoma would be terrible, IMO. Would prefer Pitt and Syracuse. But UVA and UNC would be terrific adds - and would stick a knife in the ACC. That's the kind of win-win I can get behind.

UNC governs the ACC. The Cheats will not abandon its kingdom, one in which it does what it wants, with zero accountability or conscience.

Last edited:
This about sums it up, although I personally don't get Kansas as much as some others. It seems like another step towards the middle, rather than a move east or south, which feels more valuable. Also, their football is lousy and basketball is just not as important anymore. They would be a distant last of the group above that you listed for me. I agree with the rest. Anything much beyond that, becomes untenable quickly for one reason or another. Regardless, the GOR locks it all in for some time, unless the Big 12 or PAC12 implodes before that. Otherwise, it just cant happen.
KU I believe is in the KC DMA - I coukd be wrong though and if so, their cable market wouldn’t warrant an invite

lets not split up the pie any further. No expansion.

It makes sense if the pie is getting bigger. With DMA's of Virginia and North Carolina, that could easily be the case. Plus it kills the acc making their rights much less valuable, creating more of a need for A list content like the B1G.

Our next contract would be even more massive than it already is going to be.

As is estimates are $65MM/yr. per school next year. I can't imagine what it would be with them in the fold to sell the next rights.

The only issue is Delany isn't doing the negotiating and our current commish has no clue what he's doing.

The acc was smart in that regard. They hired the guy who should be leading the B1G. Hopefully he doesn't F it up.

The networks created conference expansion hysteria last time around.

The next major shift won’t start until tech gets all the way into live sports content. Then the money will be not enough to get schools to make moves.

Colorado, Washington, Oregon, usc, ucla, ND.

Four five team pods. Some protected rivals.

For sh*ts and giggles:
RU, psu, md, indiana, ND
MSU, osu, mich, Illinois, Purdue
Wisc, minn, Iowa, neb, nw
Co, was, usc, ucla, oregon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT