ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Expansion talk should start

Solidify what? I’m glad RU is in the B1G but many of the regional rivalaries are gone. The idea that Nebraska is trying to get out of a future game with Oklahoma is unthinkable. The train may have left the station but I miss the rivalries lost. College football at its core is a regional sport. I really like RU’s OOC schedule this year. They should play Temple and Syracuse, these are old rivals that are in the area, I hope they continue to schedule that way.

My take on all this:

1) There are NO G5 teams worth taking by any P5 conference as currently constituted. Well maybe BYU. But the Big 12 has already determined them to be not worth the trouble. And of course ND, but they aren't giving up their sweetheart deal.

2) Any expansion will be the result of the Big 12 imploding. But will that happen? I think not.

3) Obviously the Big 12 plums are Oklahoma and Texas. Texas probably takes Texas Tech with them to the SEC. Oklahoma takes Oklahoma State with them -- to the PAC 12? That leaves six teams in the Big 12. Do they disperse to the other P5's? I don't think so, because I doubt they will be in demand.

4) So the Big 12 does not implode. They rebuild. They make nice with BYU, and add Cincinnati, Houston, and SMU. Then they fight like hell to retain their P5 status. My guess is that they succeed.
I totally agree. A conference needs to agree to implode as most have TV rights of their members. I don't see that happening. Adding non P5 teams doesn't add $$ per team.

Texas is not likely to surrender its TV rights. They are the ones that are holding back the Big XII. Now Pitt and UVA are possibilities, both aau schools. But remember, the ACC has the 50m buyout.

Texas is not likely to surrender its TV rights. They are the ones that are holding back the Big XII. Now Pitt and UVA are possibilities, both aau schools. But remember, the ACC has the 50m buyout.
Didn't the ACC change to TV rights after MD left?

I doubt they expand but if they did I would not mind seeing Virginia and Duke.

Big E and Big W each have 1 private and 7 public

Duke, UVA, Md, RU, PSU, OSU, Michigan and MSU
NW, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minn, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin

I doubt they expand but if they did I would not mind seeing Virginia and Duke.

Big E and Big W each have 1 private and 7 public

Duke, UVA, Md, RU, PSU, OSU, Michigan and MSU
NW, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minn, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin
I doubt Duke leaves without UNC basketball wise. UVA brings nothing $$

A lot of people in this thread that don't seem to understand that the ACC extended their TV deals and Grant of Rights until 2036-37 when the ACC network was announced.

Yes, the GORs haven't been upheld in court, but no school or conference is taking on that mess in court and pissing off ESPN. Nobody is leaving the ACC.

The only possibilities for additions to the B1G are Pac12 and Big 12 schools (as both of those GORs expire in the next couple of years, and notably both conferences tried to extend them but were shot down by the schools with options like USC and Texas), and schools not currently in the P5.

Reactions: TM94goRU
That's why I think they go the hybrid route with the ACC. It lets Texas actually expend their home game rights to what ND has, and since ESPN is their partner on the Longhorn network they can work out an orderly transition of that content to ESPN/ESPN+ and shut down the LHN as a separate entity.

If you think UNC is leaving the ACC that would be like Ohio State leaving the B1G for the SEC or something. While makes sense to people who have no clue about anything other than football games on TV, it will absolutely never happen for so, so many other reasons

Reactions: Leonard23
Cable boxes, BTN can't raise more fees as they're already in Pennsylvania. I know everyone wants to say cord cutting, but the big money is still in subscriber fees. Pitt would bring nothing to the table, unlike Maryland and Rutgers. These two overdelivered for the conference not only with cable boxes but with added exposure via commercials. That pie got a lot sweeter when AT&T wanted to advertise on BTN instead of International Harvester. Thus Fox really wanted the product. Pitt won't deliver that either as it's already been delivered.
Exactly
UNC and UVa
-public schools
-excellent academics and athletics
-locks up basketball, soccer and lacrosse
-contiguous land to current B1G footprint
-demographics make sense, south and coastal in population centers
-before you say will never happen, see Maryland-the $ was too good and they can always schedule a hoops game with Duke every year
-I'd love to be in the East pod with them and MD for football ( best of both new and old )
-the traditional B1G schools can play us less ( makes them happy )
I don't see either ever leaving the ACC. The money will be good enough as ESPN will continue to prop up the ACC.
The best teams the Big Ten could add are Oklahoma and Kansas. They need to transition from the guaranteed monthly cable fee model to the “get people to buy a streaming subscription to your channel” model, and OU and KU make football and basketball more attractive.
Why do you think the B1G and B1GN need to transition away from the guaranteed $ of carriage deals in favor of the high churn, fickle streaming model when they have the best of both right now? It's the wrong move to focus on streaming alone. Instead, you want to diversify, exactly like the B1G has which is to (i) sell media rights to ESPN/FOX, who then negotiate record carriage deals with cable companies, deals with streaming platforms, and pay the conference record $, (ii) have your own network (B1GN) to also get your own carriage deals with cable companies and streaming platforms, like YouTube TV, Hulu, Sling TV, etc., and (iii) have your own standalone streaming service (B1GN+) to sell monthly subscriptions. This model is similar to what the big networks are doing with having carriage deals on linear and streaming platforms and now adding their standalone streaming services like ESPN+, Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max, etc. to further monetize content.

I would prefer Oklahoma and Texas but I'd take Texas Tech if it meant getting Texas. The Big 12 should just disband and be broken up and let the SEC, ACC, PAC12 & BIG pick up the pieces. Four 16 team conferences, the 4 conference champs make the playoffs. Nice and clean so you know it will never happen but it would make a lot of sense IMO.
Houston is a HUGE city... if we ignore the academic criteria assuming UH is really aiming for AAU (they said they are) and B1G membership might help them get there.. that could be a big market in Texas.. but, yeah, Texas Austin is really what we'd want. I'd also think UVA might be possible.. but I don't think the western B1G schools would think highly of adding Houston to their side. I think they'd be ecstatic with Texas and, stupidly, Oklahoma

Last edited:
I like the idea of B1G expansion talk again, with articles on PAC-12 expanding talk.
B1G is long overdue to solidify it's expansion..... i dislike the teams, but would like to make a case for:
West Virginia, PITT (which TTFP would veto), Iowa State, or get both Oklahoma & State and stick a fork in Big 12.
The only team from your list that would even be considered is Pitt but they don’t bring a new market. If the Big Ten was going to raid the Big 12 it would be to grab Texas.

The only expansion that's going to happen is the Big XII going from 10 to 12 teams. If you want to discuss something, talk about who those two teams will be. Maybe eventually, they will go to 14.

Right now, I believe they will add Houston and they will look outside of Texas for the other.

Does PSU bring western Pa TV sets? If so I doubt Pitt would add much financially.

Wouldn't the B1G want to expand to areas where they don't currently have a presence?

I don't think Pitt would get an invite to the B1G because Penn State is already a B1G conference member in Pennsylvania. Conferences are looking to expanding it population base (New States).
Don't think you would have Purdue and Indiana or Michigan and Michigan State both in the B1G today (IMO) if both were not a grandfathered member.

As for the academics, Pitt would be welcomed into the B1G.

Pitt is an AAU member Research University which conducts about $1.0 Billion in annual research expenditures.

Pitt is noted for its exceptional Programs in the Health Professions, all of which are ranked (US News) in the Top 20.

Pitt's medical school for example is ranked among the best in the B1G and ACC.

US News and World Report Medical School Rankings (Research) - 2022:

3 Duke University
13 University of Pittsburgh
15 University of Michigan
15 Northwestern
17 University of Chicago
24 University of North Carolina
27 University of Maryland
31 University of Virginia
33 Ohio State University
33 University of Wisconsin
39 University of Iowa
42 Indiana University
42 University of Minnesota
45 University of Miami
48 Wake Forest University
54 University of Nebraska
55 University of Illinois
66 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (Newark)
70 Robert Wood Johnson (NB)
75 University of Louisville
83 Virginia Tech
93-123 Florida State University

I do think one day you may have 4 major conferences each composed of 16 members.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
If I am the Big 12, I am adding BYU and Central Florida now. I am telling Colorado State, Cincy,Memphis, Louisiana, UTSA, Texas State, and Utah State to have your ducks in a row because we are taking at least two of you when Texas/Texas Tech and maybe Oklahoma/Oklahoma State leave.

Exactly

I don't see either ever leaving the ACC. The money will be good enough as ESPN will continue to prop up the ACC.

Why do you think the B1G and B1GN need to transition away from the guaranteed $ of carriage deals in favor of the high churn, fickle streaming model when they have the best of both right now? It's the wrong move to focus on streaming alone. Instead, you want to diversify, exactly like the B1G has which is to (i) sell media rights to ESPN/FOX, who then negotiate record carriage deals with cable companies, deals with streaming platforms, and pay the conference record $, (ii) have your own network (B1GN) to also get your own carriage deals with cable companies and streaming platforms, like YouTube TV, Hulu, Sling TV, etc., and (iii) have your own standalone streaming service (B1GN+) to sell monthly subscriptions. This model is similar to what the big networks are doing with having carriage deals on linear and streaming platforms and now adding their standalone streaming services like ESPN+, Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max, etc. to further monetize content.
Transition doesn't mean "focus on streaming alone". It means recognizing that streaming will be a growing part of revenue while monthly cable carriage fees shrink.

Instead of only caring about the market/state a potential addition would bring, they need to consider whether the addition makes people actually want to watch the conference's games. Oklahoma would do that for football and Kansas for basketball. Few other schools that are realistic options can do that.

Transition doesn't mean "focus on streaming alone". It means recognizing that streaming will be a growing part of revenue while monthly cable carriage fees shrink.

Instead of only caring about the market/state a potential addition would bring, they need to consider whether the addition makes people actually want to watch the conference's games. Oklahoma would do that for football and Kansas for basketball. Few other schools that are realistic options can do that.
Huh? The B1G doesn't need to transition anything, as they recognized streaming would be a valuable revenue source many years ago, so they're already doing it in multiple ways.

Huh? The B1G doesn't need to transition anything, as they recognized streaming would be a valuable revenue source many years ago, so they're already doing it in multiple ways.
I said transition the thought process for additions, I didn't say anything about infrastructure.

When they added Maryland and Rutgers the number of cable households in their state/footprint was a huge factor. That still needs to be part of the decision, but it shouldn't be a disqualifying factor for some schools. For example, Oklahoma isn't a populous enough state and has a smaller number of cable households than some other options, but they have a national brand and will attract people from all over the country to watch and pay for Big Ten games. That makes them a better addition than some schools that would bring more cable households because they will help grow the streaming option as more people cut the cord.

Yes. They have a long term GOR. The conversations about poaching ACC school's are silly and show a lack of understanding of what that means. It basically can't happen short of the conference imploding
Maryland paid the ACC $31 million of a $52 million exit fee the conference sought.

Yes. They have a long term GOR. The conversations about poaching ACC school's are silly and show a lack of understanding of what that means. It basically can't happen short of the conference imploding
Many of us know this already, which is why I agree with you on the silliness thing. Feel that way about the whole topic to be honest. But...

ND - Nebraska = 10 States (B1G)

I could live with that but the status quo is more than fine.

Reactions: Ridge 22
Pitt not academically undesirable? I understand Kole's point about not bringing in a new market, but academically undesirable?
Please read the "or." I didn't say Pitt was academically undesirable. I said small market OR double up in a market OR are academically undesirable. In this case the OR means anyone of the three.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Nobody is leaving the ACC to come to the Big Ten. Notre Dame signed a long term deal with the ACC for the hybrid arrangement.
  • I think things set up perfectly for Texas to be a second hybrid member of the ACC. It gets their non-football conference to 16. Texas doesn’t think they are equal to any other conference members anyway, and no one wants Texas coming in and taking over their conference.
  • The best teams the Big Ten could add are Oklahoma and Kansas. They need to transition from the guaranteed monthly cable fee model to the “get people to buy a streaming subscription to your channel” model, and OU and KU make football and basketball more attractive.
  • The problem is, ESPN and the SEC will think the same thing and they won’t let the Big Ten get those teams without a fight. I could see them offering OU and OSU, because they have two schools in several other states.
Yeah I agree, if anything happens to further weaken the B12, UT is more likely to take a Notre Dame deal to the ACC over being a full member of the other three P5 conferences. That would allow them to keep their football on the Long Horn Net.
OU and KU are the two I'd want to see and agree with your premise. I just think that the politics in both of those states are such that neither would be able to move without taking State with them.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Maryland paid the ACC $31 million of a $52 million exit fee the conference sought.
Their GOR runs for a long time. Highly unlikely any school could afford to go without that revenue stream for the necessary period of time. Perhaps when things get closer to the expiration dates, but that is a long time away. In the meantime, I don't see movement from the ACC as likely unless a school could figure out how to challenge it legally

Yeah I agree, if anything happens to further weaken the B12, UT is more likely to take a Notre Dame deal to the ACC over being a full member of the other three P5 conferences. That would allow them to keep their football on the Long Horn Net.
OU and KU are the two I'd want to see and agree with your premise. I just think that the politics in both of those states are such that neither would be able to move without taking State with them.
I agree with the political angle, and that is why I think in the end the SEC takes Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. It just puts them on another level as a football conference.

The Big Ten would be hard pressed to come up with two additions in that case.

It AMAZES me how nonsense issues like these get magnified these days.....

this is all based on a filler-piece on yahoo from some guy who is simply making random statements about who he might pick if he was king-for-a-day......

expansion has been "on the agenda" for PAC12 for 12 years........ today is no different - new Commish or not...

the guy even mentions PAC12 going after Notre Dame because "it makes sense"......... I mean, this is garbage non-news, made-up silliness.

no, the B1G doesn't need to expand............

PAC12 product still sucks... and the new guy might get some better contracts... but, he is going to run right into the college Presidents........... i doubt we'll see much improvement........

I could go into why this is all baloney anyway... PAC12 doesn't need nor want anyone not named Texas or Oklahoma (but, they would take TT or OKs as a sympathy pick-up if they got either of the first two)

BXII should offer Colorado and Utah sweetheart deals and rat-f PAC12.......imo...

Last edited:
To add to the message above, about how this is click bait, I will add my thoughts on a video I saw recently on YouTube. Basically the clown, oh I mean host, had the BIG10 taking Iowa State and Kansas. Now, come on. I really can't see most of what is being discussed.

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
Why does everyone assume ND would even want to join the Big Ten?
They get to beat up on crappy ACC teams now.

I say invite them and even let them have their ACC deal here.
Do we really think they are going 11-1/12-0 with 8-9 Big Ten games?

After a decade of 3-4-5 losses (or worse) they'll be begging to join for guaranteed conference money or looking to leave and jump back to ACC.
OSU is the only Big 10 Team that would regularly beat the current ND program. And, ND’s independence is not about revenue. ND probably would bring in more money with a Big 10 membership. It’s about scheduling flexibility and national branding. ND fans like to be able to go to LA or Palo Alto and other diverse venues all over the country. If the Big 10 wanted to offer ND the ACC deal, it may be worth considering, but the Big 10 won’t do that. And, ND fans would rather go to Miami, Charlottesville, and NC than West Lafayette, Iowa City and East Lansing.

Last edited:
Reactions: miket007 and RUref
OSU is the only Big 10 Team that would regularly beat the current ND program. And, ND’s independence is not about revenue. ND probably would bring in more money with a Big 10 membership. It’s about scheduling flexibility and national branding. ND fans like to be able to go to LA or Pali Alto and other diverse venues all over the country. If the Big 10 wanted to offer ND the ACC deal, it may be worth considering, but the Big 10 won’t do that. And, ND fans would rather go to Miami, Charlottesville, and NC than West Lafayette, Iowa City and East Lansing.
No it's about the $

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Reactions: RUref
Wrong. ND’s contract reportedly netted $15 million last year; they would make more as a full-time member of the Big 10.

Haha
Wrong. ND’s contract reportedly netted $15 million last year; they would make more as a full-time member of the Big 10.

No you are wrong. You are missing several pieces. You do know that their TV deal is just for their home games right? They also get paid $6 plus from the ACC.
They are #7 in revenue for college football. So please stop crying poverty.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
OSU is the only Big 10 Team that would regularly beat the current ND program. And, ND’s independence is not about revenue. ND probably would bring in more money with a Big 10 membership. It’s about scheduling flexibility and national branding. ND fans like to be able to go to LA or Palo Alto and other diverse venues all over the country. If the Big 10 wanted to offer ND the ACC deal, it may be worth considering, but the Big 10 won’t do that. And, ND fans would rather go to Miami, Charlottesville, and NC than West Lafayette, Iowa City and East Lansing.
And Dublin Ireland (not Ohio) for a game credited as a Navy home game in the Navy/Notre home-and-home series.

The Godzilla that everyone wants is Texas. If you want Texas, you are getting Texas Tech. The state of Texas has 30 million people, tons of money, great facilities, and fanatical fans. Everyone talks about the Longhorn Network contract with ESPN, but that only brings them $15 million a year. What are Big Ten members up to each year , $60 million? LHN has been a disaster for ESPN so I would assume they would jump for joy if Texas asked out. As long as Texas agreed to be an equal partner in the Big Ten, bring them in tomorrow. No matter what happens, the Big 12 better do something soon. Their TV deals don’t come close to the Big Ten or SEC, even with this new add on—

Correct, any talk of adding Texas and Texas Tech has to be included in the package, there is no negotiation on that subject, that is beyond football, it is a political reality. And in Texas football is not merely a game, it is both a religious and political animal as well.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I’d love FSU to join the B1G, but doubt it happens.

Cons
1. GOR lasts until 2036-2037
2. Travel costs for all sports
3. Geographic & cultural outlier

Pros
1. Strong in all sports - great traditions
2. Academics improving - on B1G level
3. Large state university
4. Brings in FL recruiting & tv markets

Still don’t think it happens but it’s fun to dream

ADVERTISEMENT