ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Media Days- Fleck Praising Joe Rossi

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Watching the replay. PJ Fleck singing the praises of Joe Rossi. . . .

Fleck on why Minnesota improved so much in November and December
"We made a change at defensive coordinator. I thought that was necessary. I'm not going to say that was the biggest -- and the reason why we changed. I think when you had such a young football team -- and you look at us, we had eight freshman starting on offense at one point. And you are the youngest team in America, to have success and to become a champion, I feel like you need both spectrums. You have to fail enough to be successful and you have to go through some of those positive shining moments."

Fleck on why Joe Rossi is the right choice at defensive coordinator
"Joe Rossi just as well as all of our coaches -- the number one thing I look for when I hire a coach is are they an elite teacher, are they an elite educator. And I'm a sixth grade social studies teacher at heart. And Joe Rossi is exactly that. When you can get people to respond to you immediately by how you teach and what you say and the gap of the learning curve is way smaller by how you teach, that's efficiency. It's efficiency in your teaching and your coaching, and I want that guy on my staff.
Robb Smith did a really good job for us in a lot of areas, but I felt the leadership was needed in a different way, and I thought Joe Rossi came in and did a fantastic job. And especially being able to capture everybody in a tumultuous time. Just came off the Illinois game, a big loss, and it wasn't pretty at those times in the Twin City area. Made sure that the grass was cut back in our home and said hey just make sure you keep all the beds full of mulch because this thing could go on the market pretty quick. End of the day, ended up turning the corner of that year, but Joe Rossi is a big part of it. But again, it has a lot to do -- and he'd say the same thing -- we matured and got better as the season went on, and that's what you want to see, especially from a young football team."

Who would have thought rossi’s crappy defenses here would be better than Ohio state wunderkid chris Ash’s ? I certainly didn’t and i expected ash to suck. Watching Rossi’s bend and eventually break defenses here was torture . I can’t believe it’s worse now. I will give Rossi credit for having his guys ready for Washington state and penn state in 2014.

Rossi's defense had 34 sacks in 2014. Doesnt sound to bendy not breaky

Who would have thought rossi’s crappy defenses here would be better than Ohio state wunderkid chris Ash’s ? I certainly didn’t and i expected ash to suck. Watching Rossi’s bend and eventually break defenses here was torture . I can’t believe it’s worse now. I will give Rossi credit for having his guys ready for Washington state and penn state in 2014.
Not so fast. Rossi took over on Nov. 4, 2018
First game, did a nice job against Purdue, Minnesota winning 41-10.

Second game, lost to NW 24-14. NW had 325 total yards of offense.

Rutgers held NW to 18 points and 278 yards.

Third game, beat Wisconsin 37-15, giving up 359 yards, but Wisconsin had 4 turnovers.

Rutgers gave up 31 points giving up 473 yards.

Seems to be a push.

Not so fast. Rossi took over on Nov. 4, 2018
First game, did a nice job against Purdue, Minnesota winning 41-10.

Second game, lost to NW 24-14. NW had 325 total yards of offense.

Rutgers held NW to 18 points and 278 yards.

Third game, beat Wisconsin 37-15, giving up 359 yards, but Wisconsin had 4 turnovers.

Rutgers gave up 31 points giving up 473 yards.

Seems to be a push.

Was comparing the Rossi rutgers defenses to the ash rutgers defenses

Who would have thought rossi’s crappy defenses here would be better than Ohio state wunderkid chris Ash’s ? I can’t believe it’s worse now. I will give Rossi credit for having his guys ready for Washington state and penn state in 2014.
Now let's not go rewriting history here. Washington St. 2014 was 3-9 not the Washington St. of today. He was also working with some pretty damn good recruits. Two of our best classes ever, thanks to the former regime.

Now let's not go rewriting history here. Washington St. 2014 was 3-9 not the Washington St. of today. He was also working with some pretty damn good recruits. Two of our best classes ever, thanks to the former regime.

I was not a fan of the Rossi defenses. Just saying we had some decent moments . Problem is we hired and retained ash. If we made a good hire I doubt we would be talking about the famed bend, bend , bend and break Rossi defenses

Reactions: koleszar
Washington State wasn't a 'good' moment though. We held them to almost nothing in the first quarter and still gave up 532 yards passing.

ADVERTISEMENT