ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Opponents 22-23 Speculation

High Quality H2O

Senior
Gold Member
May 7, 2022
Ok I asked Richie in the other thread and then got curious so I started looking for the trends....
It looks like we have played the 7-3-3 format since 20 game format started in 18-19.
So 7 teams home and home. 3 home. 3 away.
It's clear from the trends that the 6 single game opponents are 6 of the 7 H-H series.
One of the H-H teams repeats for the 7th H-H series.
We will then play either a home or away game against the last 6 H-H teams from this past season.
Pattern holds that we will just rotate home - away based on where we played last time that team was a single game opponent.

With that said we know that we will play home and home against:
Indiana (1)
MSU (4)
Iowa (6)
OSU (9)
NW (13)
MN (14)

Hard to tell who will stay on as H-H again, Penn State stayed on from 18-19 to 19-20 and Maryland was H-H the last 3 years.
So maybe it has to do with finish place or rivalry...not sure?

Potential Home Games would be:
Michigan (3)
Penn State (11)
Nebraska (12)

Potential Away Games would be:
Illinois (2)
Purdue (5)
Maryland (7)
Wisconsin (10)

My initial thoughts were:

We get to play Indiana twice, which i think is a good thing. If they are as good as they are supposed to be then we have a chance for two good wins, because until proven otherwise we are still their Daddy.
Road game wins...sheesh....going to be tough to get some easy chances there.
I guess NW, MN (who both beat us last year?) and Wisconsin are the most win-able on paper right now?

Ok have at it boys....thoughts on this breakdown. My apologies if his was obvious to everyone else already, but I didn't see it posted any where.

18-1919-2020-2121-22
IllinoisAwayH/HHomeH/H
PurdueAwayH/HHomeH/H
MichiganHomeHome + NeutralAwayH/H
NebraskaHomeH/HAwayH/H
Penn StateH/HH/HAwayH/H
MarylandHomeH/HH/HH/H
IowaH/HAwayH/HHome
MinnesotaH/HHomeH/HAway
NorthwesternH/HHomeH/HAway
Michigan StateH/HAwayH/HHome
Ohio StateH/HAwayH/HHome
WisconsinAwayH/HHomeH/H
IndianaH/HHomeH/HAway

Reactions: kcg88
Thanks for this breakdown! It hadn't occurred to me the single-play double-play alternating would be so relatively straightforward. If it holds, that slate is fairly manageable. Go 5-1 against the basement, which is plenty doable since four of those six would be at home, and we're in business. A tough road-only schedule but all four of those could end up as Q1. Certainly Illinois and Purdue will.

Reactions: Local Shill
Prett spot-on prediction OP, nice work. PSU becomes our home and home again, which I like that every year as a rivalry. Only have to play Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin once, which you have to like. Although we beat all of them last year, including Wisconsin on the road

Prett spot-on prediction OP, nice work. PSU becomes our home and home again, which I like that every year as a rivalry. Only have to play Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin once, which you have to like. Although we beat all of them last year, including Wisconsin on the road
Love this schedule.
Hard, not overwhelming.

Thanks, timing was weird that I did that analysis yesterday and boom out comes the schedule. Had no idea it was about to be released.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
ADVERTISEMENT