ADVERTISEMENT

B1G player demands

you can't brush Covid aside because that's what it's all about. And while an injury, say like Eric's, has catastrophic insurance, when a player gets Covid & myocarditis from being 2 inches away from the same OL guy for 30 minutes does that same insurance cover him for the rest of his life taking care of his heart condition?

Do you really think anything in this "demand" list is an unreasonable ask? And please note, the list is coming from ALL sports, not just football
So I guess there will a pandemic rider now for this type of insurance.

And some schools will deal with the other sports by getting rid of them. Already happening.

My concern again is how many are sick? That’s the scary part if someone in as good of shape as they are gets really laid up by this. Frightening actually.

Tell me what I missed?

So you didn't.

First the fact that it wasn't just football players. And second the fact that the whole petition was aimed at the NCAA.

Read it and you might not be so far out in left field.

So you didn't.

First the fact that it wasn't just football players. And second the fact that the whole petition was aimed at the NCAA.

Read it and you might not be so far out in left field.
What on the list is not happening now at Rutgers?

How does someone get free BTN access? Cost of living increases for stipends?

I agree that I think the players are already getting all these things. Not sure what's missing.

One concern:
Independent testing would require Rutgers to not use the saliva test developed here. Alternatives would likely be much slower and more difficult to administer.

Purdue has also said they would be using the Rutgers saliva test. Not sure about the rest of the conference.

I agree that I think the players are already getting all these things. Not sure what's missing.

One concern:
Independent testing would require Rutgers to not use the saliva test developed here. Alternatives would likely be much slower and more difficult to administer.

Purdue has also said they would be using the Rutgers saliva test. Not sure about the rest of the conference.

maybe inviting Rutgers to the B1G finally pays off for the rest of the conference and they all get to use the saliva test.

If I'm the Big Ten, I'd tell the players to pound sand. Some of these are fine, but some of these are unreasonable. The conference holds all of the leverage.

Already getting paid.

Even if you don’t play the scholarship is still being honored.
Right. And for those that will be eligible for the NFL draft in 2021, players have the right to opt out of this upcoming season to prepare for the draft if they feel the risks of catching the virus outweigh the benefits of playing, such as Bateman and Parsons.
College football is not professional football.

One concern:

That’s what I’m saying...what part of that is not happening already, the health stuff.

Right. And for those that will be eligible for the NFL draft in 2021, players have the right to opt out of this upcoming season to prepare for the draft if they feel the risks of catching the virus outweigh the benefits of playing, such as Bateman and Parsons.
College football is not professional football.
Their choice. Nothing wrong with that at all. Their scholarship is being honored too.

"Given that the players are the primary stakeholders in the business of college sports, we believe any course of action moving forward needs to include player input. ... We believe that the NCAA must — on its own and through collaboration with the conference — devise a comprehensive plan to ensure the safety and well-being of players leading up to and during the upcoming fall season."

Yes and that plan is called "canceling the season."

Call it a "business" decision to keep the lawsuits away

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure the players realize how heavy a word "ensure" is in this context. Literally, as you said, the best these institutions can do to that end would be to cancel the season. I think it's headed that way regardless.

Reactions: ashokan
Still, let’s keep it Rutgers-centric...what aren’t they getting now?

I don't know what they're getting or not getting. But they have the right to certain safety measures as far as I am concerned. Assuming RU is doing the right thing, which I have no reason to doubt, I don't see the issue as it relates to RU here.

The Indiana player who developed a serious heart condition is a grave warning that we cannot just wash our hands of this situation and say well they're young athletes so no worries. We don't know why this virus does hurt some healthy young people yet.

I don't know what they're getting or not getting. But they have the right to certain safety measures as far as I am concerned. Assuming RU is doing the right thing, which I have no reason to doubt, I don't see the issue as it relates to RU here.

The Indiana player who developed a serious heart condition is a grave warning that we cannot just wash our hands of this situation and say well they're young athletes so no worries. We don't know why this virus does hurt some healthy young people yet.
Right. That is the scariest part here and why I would much rather know who is actually sick than who just has it.

I have two healthy sons around the same age so I have concerns too, considering what I do.

But any school now, be it Rutgers or not, that’s not doing this kind of stuff already should be in a lot of trouble....legally, medically and morally.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Did you even read the damn link?
Nope. Exact quote in the other thread about the article was "TLDR".
If I didn’t read it how would I have known about the requests for free BTN Network access for all family members of athletes or the COLA for their stipends?

Like those really matter for their “health and safety” concerns. LOL

They have the right to ask (aka "demand"). It's time to shut everything down.

Assuming the Fall season gets cancelled (.75 prob?) the B1G school losses from no FB will be huge for everyone.

Non revenue sports will likely feel the knife from the financial losses from a cancelled season.

Should we expect a reduction in the sports offered by RU as a result of this?

Right. That is the scariest part here and why I would much rather know who is actually sick than who just has it.

I have two healthy sons around the same age so I have concerns too, considering what I do.

But any school now, be it Rutgers or not, that’s not doing this kind of stuff already should be in a lot of trouble....legally, medically and morally.

*Should* be is key here. But I can tell you first hand from people I know in white collar jobs who have their management trying to get people back to jobs in Manhattan...it isn't. So what schools are trying to get by on 17-18 year olds, I can only imagine.

The legal and medical fallout will be with us for decades...the morality aspect is just sad in a lot of what I have seen and heard.

I’m certainly caring less and less about both professional and college athletics. I’m not disagreeing with the student or professional athletes exerting their opinions or rights. I’m just saying that athletics is not the unifying element or escapist haven it used to be and it requires too much emotional investment to be spent supporting or arguing about things other than if the team representing your city or college wins the game.

For me it has forever lost it’s appeal. Will I watch games and cheer? Sure. Just not like before and only when I don’t have other things to do to keep me happy. I’m talking with more and more people who agree with me and a lot of this feeling has to do with the demand for compensation beyond athletic scholarship as well as everything currently needing to possess a political element. They have their right to do whatever they want and I have my right to not pay for it. Just like others have their right to continue to pay for it.

in the grand scheme of things I guess I’ve just decided it really doesn’t matter to me anymore. For me it was moving from pro sports to college. Now it’s moving from college sports to a nice hike in the woods or a trip to the beach.

Edit: the fans are the biggest stakeholders in college football, not the players, sorry. Players come and go, the fans are the only constant.

Last edited:
you can't brush Covid aside because that's what it's all about. And while an injury, say like Eric's, has catastrophic insurance, when a player gets Covid & myocarditis from being 2 inches away from the same OL guy for 30 minutes does that same insurance cover him for the rest of his life taking care of his heart condition?

Do you really think anything in this "demand" list is an unreasonable ask? And please note, the list is coming from ALL sports, not just football
This is the first time I have ever taken the stance that e5- is being a complete asshat.
Anyone that doesn’t take the stance that each player is a person with loved ones and the same F-ing concerns that have most of us doing zoom meetings rather than lunches, is being an asshat.

This is the first time I have ever taken the stance that e5- is being a complete asshat.
Anyone that doesn’t take the stance that each player is a person with loved ones and the same F-ing concerns that have most of us doing zoom meetings rather than lunches, is being an asshat.
Not sure where you’re getting the bold because of course I care but...

What. Aren’t. They. Getting. Already?

Read the response above by tOSU kids. Aren’t we doing all that already?

And if not, why not?

That’s been my stance throughout the whole conversation.

The “demand” of BTN for all and the COLA for the stipend matters for their health? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT