ADVERTISEMENT

B1G to keep divisions in 2023, will reconfigure in 2024

Here is one youtuber's proposed scheduling arrangement for 2024, Rutgers at the 3:55 mark. I don't like not playing Penn State every year, but would still play them every other year. Going to be very interesting to see what happens.

Looking forward to realigned divisions! I think Rutgers coming out party times it well without seeing OSU Mich and PSU all in the same season. The current West division is so much more manageable. And the way USC is building they’re going to be another one of those teams in a tier above everyone else.

Did they stick with the previous schedule for 2023 or is that still up in the air

If they want to go east div and west
It would seem like they would add the two new teams to the west end then shift maybe Illinois to be east, and one other
And it would pretty much be the same for us
I know fans are hoping it is not that

They probably would have to move to scheduling quads . And the championship game just becomes the two top teams based on conf record and CFP standings .

you play the other 3 in your quad every year and then maybe there has to be one rivalry outside your quad locked in so you keep competitive balance while maintaining annual rivalry games ?

what quads would you like to see ??
I’d like :

East - RU , MD, PSU, Mich St
North - OSU, Mich, Minn, NW
West - USC, UCLA, Neb, Illinois
Central - Indiana, Purdue, Wisc, Iowa

had to switch Illinois and Iowa to balance it out even through geographically isn’t perfectly aligned. But that doesn’t matter all that much.

I think pods are the future as well. Was never a fan but if it gets us away from OSU and UM I can live with it. An interesting pod would be a bi coastal pod with USC, UCLA, RU and Maryland.

Pod People, you moment has come, pods never made sense before but now perhaps they do.

Or just get rid of all divisions but I understand that it is hard to build rivals that way.

Pod People, you moment has come, pods never made sense before but now perhaps they do.

Or just get rid of all divisions but I understand that it is hard to build rivals that way.
No divisions or pods, as those mean teams play too infrequently for me (with no divisions one plays all 15 opponents at least every other year with 9 B1G games), but each team gets one annual rival game. Maybe...

OSU-UM
IU/PU
IL/NW
MSU/PSU
RU/MD
USC/UCLA
MN/WI
NE/IA

They probably would have to move to scheduling quads . And the championship game just becomes the two top teams based on conf record and CFP standings .

you play the other 3 in your quad every year and then maybe there has to be one rivalry outside your quad locked in so you keep competitive balance while maintaining annual rivalry games ?

I’d like :

had to switch Illinois and Iowa to balance it out even through geographically isn’t perfectly aligned. But that doesn’t matter all that much.
I'd sign up for that pod for RU in a heartbeat.

I’d like :

Geographically the East would be RU, MD, PSU and OSU. And UM is to the east of MSU. Bring on Plan B.

If they want to go east div and west
It would seem like they would add the two new teams to the west end then shift maybe Illinois to be east, and one other
And it would pretty much be the same for us
I know fans are hoping it is not that
Purdue is more East than illinois

Reactions: Jimpeg
Yeah, I didn’t have a map and got a C in geography

my point being, the easy way out for the league is take one program from the west, Purdue is ok , maybe along with Illinois, put them in the east, add the newbies to the west and be done with it

Anything else is actually trying to change the conference alignment, which they might want to do, or use this opportunity as the excuse

And then, we will have our regulars complaining about how weak our OOC is and we need to schedule Bama and Clemson instead of Temple and
Wagner...or we will not be considered for the playoffs

Reactions: RUSK97
6y53xk.jpg

I love the whole “the west division is more manageable” take when we’ve still yet to beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern as members of the conference.

I like moving to 11 conference games and sticking with 2 divisions. This way we play 8 division games, and half of the West teams every year.

But even though it looks like we might be heading to 10 conference games -- 11 will be a tough pill to swallow.

I just think it would be pretty awesome to play 7 division rivals and 4 West teams every year. Then we have an obligatory 12th pancake

I like moving to 11 conference games and sticking with 2 divisions. This way we play 8 division games, and half of the West teams every year.

But even though it looks like we might be heading to 10 conference games -- 11 will be a tough pill to swallow.

I just think it would be pretty awesome to play 7 division rivals and 4 West teams every year. Then we have an obligatory 12th pancake
Example:
Every Year: OSU, PSU, MD, MI, MSU, IN, Purdue
Odd Years: USC, MN, NE, NW
Even Year: UCLA, WI, IA, IL

An average 4-year player would get 2 home and 2 away with every division foe, and 1 home and 1 away with every West team

That would put the B1G at a disadvantage with the SEC for rankings, as they play more than 1 cupcake per season.

I think playing 11 conference games would be dumb as hell. That leaves only 1 OOC. So- the B1G would be doing nothing but beating each other up all season.
9 games in conference and 3 OOC are a great combo- allows for the possibility of more than 1 playoff team and with 9 B1G and 1 other P5 game, the schedules will still be tough enough that a undefeated or 1 loss team could still get in.

I think playing 11 conference games would be dumb as hell. That leaves only 1 OOC. So- the B1G would be doing nothing but beating each other up all season.
9 games in conference and 3 OOC are a great combo- allows for the possibility of more than 1 playoff team and with 9 B1G and 1 other P5 game, the schedules will still be tough enough that a undefeated or 1 loss team could still get in.
Iowa plays Iowa State every year and USC plays Notre Dame every year, so 11 conference games would mean those teams would get no chance to play anyone else. Don't ever see that happening.

Iowa plays Iowa State every year and USC plays Notre Dame every year, so 11 conference games would mean those teams would get no chance to play anyone else. Don't ever see that happening.
I've been a B1G proponent of playing MORE conference games and not less.

But after doing some research on the subject, not everyone played everyone every year. Even when it was just the Big Ten and you had 9 other schools...other than the protected games, which did and do exist.

I would prefer a 10 game B1G sked just so we get an even home and away thing (5H/5A). Having just 2 OOC games isn't so bad IMO.

Hopefully they get rid of the divisions . Go to pods . Give us annual games against Indiana , northwestern and Maryland.
8 or 9 conference games .

I think we need to get used to pods. All signs point at eventually growing the conference. Whether it is 20 or 24(hopefully not), we will end up with pods. We need to get used to the concept of playing some teams once every 3 years.

With 4 team pods, you can make a rivalry game with 1 team from each pod. Switch pods every year, and you end up with 9 Conference games. You can have have an extra rivalry game out of pod and have 10 conference games. So just go to 11 conference games and play 2 of 3 pods. Don't like the 11 Con Games.

That way as the conference grows, you can grow pods and adjust accordingly, Without having to reinvent the wheel every time.

But after doing some research on the subject, not everyone played everyone every year. Even when it was just the Big Ten and you had 9 other schools...other than the protected games, which did and do exist.

I would prefer a 10 game B1G sked just so we get an even home and away thing (5H/5A). Having just 2 OOC games isn't so bad IMO.
Speaking as a Rutgers fan- we need 6 wins every year. We are not playing for a playoff spot in the near future. Why do I want to get rid of a sure win that counts toward a bowl game. I just cant understand any reason

Let's see if the reconfig ends up with more home games or favorable matchups for the "popular" teams.

Speaking as a Rutgers fan- we need 6 wins every year. We are not playing for a playoff spot in the near future. Why do I want to get rid of a sure win that counts toward a bowl game. I just cant understand any reason
Well, the hope/assumption is with 2.0 and the new set up the 6 number should be much easier to attain.

I am also in the camp if we do stay at 9 conference games we should make them as easy or even as possible…a 7th home game every year, G5 bought game and maybe a local home and home with a P5.

As I said, there’s a definite downside and why I said it won’t happen but there perks not being mentioned:

- 11 conference games would allow for another tier of inventory. Probably talking $20M more for each school, via a streamer like Amazon or Apple. That’s why it looks like we’re going to 10

- The parity is decreasing. Just look at how many teams lost to G5 or lower this year. And those losses devastate a program. Getting $20M more to play Northwestern instead of Appalachian State may be worth it

- Bragging rights to football and push on AP. Instead of B1G always playing nice guy, they could call out SEC’s weak as hell schedule. Air ads about it. “While other conferences fill their win totals with non-conference opponents — we play each other”. It would have been a total perception campaign, which can be done, but not easy

- Creating that distinction between SEC is important for establishing better conference. But prolly can’t be done until we win a playoff. Could happen this year…

- I still think we move to 20-24 and at some point, you’re more of a league than a conference. National identity, coast to coast, outside of NCAA authority for most part, except playoffs

In the end, I still very much don’t think an 11 conference schedule will happen. ESPN & SEC bias just too damn strong, and wins/loss determine rankings rather than more objective measurements. But I’d love to see it as a fan — a true conference experience where we play every single team at least once every 2 years

In the end, I still very much don’t think an 11-conference schedule will happen. ESPN & SEC bias just too damn strong, and wins/loss determine rankings rather than more objective measurements. But I’d love to see it as a fan — a true conference experience where we play every single team at least once every 2 years
As I said earlier...

If it didn't happen then, which I found surprising, I doubt it has a chance of happening now.

Like you I would prefer more than less, just don't see on the horizon.

ADVERTISEMENT